shape
carat
color
clarity

Choosing a lovely sapphire

eldo

Rough_Rock
I've been lurking here for a while, reading everyone's threads. I've bought a few sapphires and returned them, and avoided buying from the NSC after reading some negtive things here!

I came across some nice looking ones on Litnon, and some that appear to be well priced AND pretty from Skyjems. I would love to know what the more expert members think of this one:

and also of this one?

and this one!

I like the colour of the second one, and the cut of the third one, I think. I have made offers on both. They seem much cheaper than some others of similar size - as a novice, I am not sure what it is I am missing in the more expensive ones compared to these! Inclusions?

Last edited:

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think there's better choices out there. While cut isn't everything with colored stones, the cut on these is pretty wonky. All have windows. The first two are overly shallow and the 3rd is extremely deep. The 2nd and 3rd also have terrible symmetry. Color is less than optimal. 1st and 3rd are too inky, and the color zoning in the 2nd is very noticeable.

What is your budget, and what are you specifically looking for in a blue sapphire size/color-wise? Do you want it to be unheated? I noticed that all three of these stones are unheated.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sky gems seems to have some lovely gemstones but as with anything, you get what you pay for. To my eyes they might be very dark toned away from bright lights. As long as there’s a “return if you don’t like it” you could see how you like it in person. Remember that setting a gemstone also makes it appear darker (light access is reduced).

eldo

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your replies! Yeah I love the idea of a gem that has just come out of the ground looking like that. I like this navy blue colour. I see what you mean about the colour zoning on number 2.

Even if these are suboptimal, is the pricing reasonable for these? I have made an offer for £300 on the second one, is this bad? Would this be a bad price for the first one?

£300 is about my budget. What is the best natural sapphire I could get for that? i don't mind inclusions too much, as long as they are not spread throughout - I would just like something that really sparkles and looks blue, and is natural. About the size of those is OK, smaller also OK!

Thank you again for your help. I know I can't get perfection for my price range :)

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
3FA77121-2EBC-4EEB-A94E-6A7FC6BF441E.jpeg EFC8F0FC-8580-40B5-BFB4-B518B78CF8DF.jpeg Just posting a photo of my similar size sapphire (actually slightly bigger in “eye size”) on my size 7.5 finger so you can get a idea of actual size.
Ideas for setting?
Have a look at Ivy & Rose, they have lovely well priced settings. A setting 7 x 5 will suit your sapphire. This is the one I like.

eldo

Rough_Rock
Ooh thank you so much for this! Is the price good at 300 gbp? I may end up having it set in a necklace now not a ring for reasons, UT still interested to know i it's an OK deal for the stone

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results