shape
carat
color
clarity

Vanadium beryl vs emerald

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
It's over $1000! haha

...unlike Ebay auctions which end when the countdown timer reaches zero...

Winning on eBay ain't so easy...I've lost a few!:lol:

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
I do, but I hate my hands!! It is pretty sparkly.

I have more problems photographing dark green stones than you can imagine.

I was thinking that you could place the rings on something soft and stand back to take more pictures;)2...but I forgot that many of your gems aren't set. That makes it harder!

Reactions: T L

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
...It’s not the jardin that causes that, but microscopic inclusions. Jardin just interferes with the light, so the less jardin, the better.

Interesting...so the sheen of med. dark shows up about 1/2 of the time only? Just curious since I haven't had the chance to see it outside of the shops.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here’s a video by a JR Columbian Emeralds. Even they admit that the emeralds aren’t showing their true beauty due to the improper lighting.

The stones are graded froml eft to right, Best to Poorest. My two darkest emeralds are similar in tone to the big green rectangle all the way to the left, but the video just doesn’t show it’s true beauty. My 2.75 carat larger one is the tone and hue of number 2.

Read the YouTube link description for more information. I’m not saying my stones are as fine as theirs, but based on the video, the color and tone are very close. My two darker ones, although transparent, and you can see into them, have a little jardin, but not a lot. My bigger stone has more jardin, but mostly in one section of the gem.

Yes, even moderately treated emeralds, if the size, color and clarity are fine enough, can be pricey. Moderately treated stones aren’t always bad, especially if they’re treated with a stable filler. It’s the ones that have significant treatment that you want to avoid. Those are usually the fish gravel looking ones.

voce

Ideal_Rock
Here’s a video by a JR Columbian Emeralds. Even they admit that the emeralds aren’t showing their true beauty due to the improper lighting.

The stones are graded froml eft to right, Best to Poorest. My two darkest emeralds are similar in tone to the big green rectangle all the way to the left, but the video just doesn’t show it’s true beauty. My 2.75 carat larger one is the tone and hue of number 2.

Read the YouTube link description for more information. I’m not saying my stones are as fine as theirs, but based on the video, the color and tone are very close. My two darker ones, although transparent, and you can see into them, have a little jardin, but not a lot. My bigger stone has more jardin, but mostly in one section of the gem.

Yes, even moderately treated emeralds, if the size, color and clarity are fine enough, can be pricey. Moderately treated stones aren’t always bad, especially if they’re treated with a stable filler. It’s the ones that have significant treatment that you want to avoid. Those are usually the fish gravel looking ones.
My preference is for #2, but is it a camera thing? Where the glow looks missing from the picture but the glow is there and phenomenal in person?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My preference is for #2, but is it a camera thing? Where the glow looks missing from the picture but the glow is there and phenomenal in person?

It’s probably a camera thing.

Nosean

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
But it is not the darker the better!

It should be an optimal balance or not? The first stone in the video is boring - same like these dark blue sapphires used in many jewelry.

Here some lighter emeralds from Russia I like very much...

https://www.instagram.com/p/BxrpAL5lXvk/?igshid=5exuwnvwgby3

Just as an example.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
But it is not the darker the better!

It should be an optimal balance or not? The first stone in the video is boring - same like these dark blue sapphires used in many jewelry.

Here some lighter emeralds from Russia I like very much...

https://www.instagram.com/p/BxrpAL5lXvk/?igshid=5exuwnvwgby3

Just as an example.
I know, the stone looks like a black hole in that photo. That’s the problem, especially with darker emeralds, you can be looking at a Ferrari in person, but if you take a photo of it, it looks like a Yugo.

They’re a huge emerald dealer, so I’m sure that stone looks a million times better in real life.

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
...Where the glow looks missing from the picture but the glow is there and phenomenal in person?

This is exactly what I want to know too, hence I keep asking @T L on hers....:lol:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is exactly what I want to know too, hence I keep asking @T L on hers....:lol:
Ask Rod Serling, maybe he knows. The reality isn’t what’s depicted.

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
Who is & why Rod Serling? Sorry that I don't know.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Who is & why Rod Serling? Sorry that I don't know.

The host of the 1960’s cult classic show, “The Twilight Zone.” The show challenged reality.

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
:lol:

Nosean

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
@TL

So we have really different opinions about emeralds....;-)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@TL

So we have really different opinions about emeralds....;-)
I guess so. The funny thing is that I really dislike dark toned gems, and most of my gems are medium to medium light toned. I cannot resist dark Muzo emeralds though.

Nosean

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
That is why I am a bit surprised...

voce

Ideal_Rock
@Nosean I think I have similar taste for Russian emerald as you...

Unoiled they look like that, then I wouldn't have to worry about anything when setting them. Plus, the glow is much more than even in Afghani tourmaline.

Nosean

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
@voce

I want a combination of color(glow) and clarity.
There a deeper colored emeralds I really love - but also lighter colored ones with an ugly color.

These russian ones are gorgous - unfortunately many vendor dealing with russian stones have too high prices compared to Columbia.

voce

Ideal_Rock
1. Russian emeralds are rarer
2. Russian wages are higher

So, the prices are higher just as they ought to be.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
72FF348E-67EF-41F1-87A3-FA70D33B1DCD.png
I think some Afghan tourmaline can be extremely glowy. I saw one at a gem show, it was medium light in tone and it glowed madly. It was breathtaking. I’ve seen others that rivaled Paraiba.

Here a nice example.

voce

Ideal_Rock
I have the darker Muzo material in small melee gems in a couple of CRD rings. They are incredibly interesting, but they are definitely not eye catching from across the room or even arm's length, as the glowier medium tone gems would be.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results