shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this opal real or man made?

MomInstyle

Shiny_Rock
I recently got purchased this ring locally Preowned. I haven’t resize to wear it. I like the setting and the diamonds are naturals. I don’t know if the opal real or not. Of course, I know nothing about color gemstones. I spend past 3 evening reading about opals and still clueless.

Could any opal expert friends help me identify this opal? I would greatly appreciated it. Here are a few pics taken night indoor lighting.
228DC648-712F-4828-AE8B-F5B0FA291BE4.jpeg F9706543-E975-4C25-8C9C-374870436482.jpeg 15924D6E-4C8F-4621-A826-7F759D94ED88.png 2C6A919C-2BB1-4258-B53B-2EC4EE73F143.jpeg

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That looks like a natural opal to me. My guess would be Australian. Really pretty!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Synthetic opals these days can be very convincing, so a gemologist would know for sure, but in all likelihood it’s probably natural. It’s a lovely ring.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you please show the underside of the setting so we can see the bottom of the opal?

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks like an natural Australian opal to me also! Gorgeous stone!

MomInstyle

Shiny_Rock
I just added more pics of the daylight. It sure reflects differently than night time.

MomInstyle

Shiny_Rock
That looks like a natural opal to me. My guess would be Australian. Really pretty!
Thank you for taking the time to look at my ring and sharing your opinions.

How does Australian opal quality compare to other type of opals? What does opals value based on?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What I’m trying to see is the underside of the opal, which I can’t in your pictures. Is the back totally enclosed or can you see the opal?

MomInstyle

Shiny_Rock
What I’m trying to see is the underside of the opal, which I can’t in your pictures. Is the back totally enclosed or can you see the opal?
It’s totally enclosed so I cannot see the backside of the opal. Enclosed by a piece of metal.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That’s not a good sign.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does a side view of the cab show it to be a doublet or a triplet?

Do you have a UV light handy?
I **think** if it glows orange or pinkish its suspect to man made?

If it turns out to not be natural at all - they've come a long way in mfg process of the size/shape/randomness of the color flash.

MomInstyle

Shiny_Rock
Does a side view of the cab show it to be a doublet or a triplet?

Do you have a UV light handy?
I **think** if it glows orange or pinkish its suspect to man made?

If it turns out to not be natural at all - they've come a long way in mfg process of the size/shape/randomness of the color flash.

I don't have a UV light. Would at UV light at the nail shop (drying gel nail polish) work?

Since I need a new battery for my watch. I am going to swing a local small jewelry repair person take a look at the ring.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The ring is very pretty. I can not opine as to the authenticity of the opal at issue. But, FWIW, I have seen some amazing fake opals set in sterling pendants and rings at TJMaxx, Ross and Marshalls. They are small and look more like crystal than black opals. It was really hard for me to tell and I have been an opal fan for over 50 years -the fakes have really improved leaps and bounds. I never miss an opportunity to look and learn about opals and I would now want some sort of guarantee or reputable certificate before buying.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The ring is very pretty. I can not opine as to the authenticity of the opal at issue. But, FWIW, I have seen some amazing fake opals set in sterling pendants and rings at TJMaxx, Ross and Marshalls. They are small and look more like crystal than black opals. It was really hard for me to tell and I have been an opal fan for over 50 years -the fakes have really improved leaps and bounds. I never miss an opportunity to look and learn about opals and I would now want some sort of guarantee or reputable certificate before buying.
I agree, and they have convincing black opal synthetics as well.

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think your stone is a likely a white opal or a crystal opal. If it's a crystal opal the enclosed back will help light reflect back from the opal and improve the play of color.

This video from Black Opal Direct will help you tell the difference. Link

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Often the backs are open for solid opals in that style of ring. Since it is enclosed it makes it hard to tell if it is a doublet or a triplet.

MomInstyle

Shiny_Rock
I went to this small local jeweler repair who has been in almost 40 years. I have never used his service before because we just moved here last year.

I brought my watch in for battery replacement and he charged only $5. Omg! $5?!? Wow! That is dirt cheap.

I have him my opal ring to take a look. He said it’s real opal and the diamonds are real. I asked how can he tell without looking at the back side of the opal stone. He said it’s real because there is no doublet or triplet. He has 3 other people waiting so I try to be quick. I really don’t know what the doublet or triplets would look like so he can confirm that there is none.

What other info that I could provide to determine if this is natural opal or synthetic?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can only tell if it's a double or triplet by looking at it from the side profile. Unfortunately, most jewellers don't know much about any coloured gemstones at all.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks like a real opal, if the jeweller looked at it and said it's solid not a doublet or triplet that means it's worth more because it's not a thin slice of opal with a glass or perspex top and black backing, it's a solid opal just in a metal back to show up the colour better, it does look like an Aussie opal which in general are worth more than Ethiopian opals.

axelrich

Rough_Rock
Looks original to me..:wavey:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results