shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions needed on 1.54 F VVS2

Az12345

Rough_Rock
F20BC40C-3BF3-415F-8B62-51D0B668D6C7.jpeg
My friend is looking for a stone that is at least (or better) 1.5ct, F, VVS2, triple ex, no fluo, and all angles within the ideal ranges with a budget of around 20k. She wants a mind clean stone so she would not be interested in going for a lower clarity or color. What are your thoughts on this diamond?

1.54 ct
F color
VVS2
Triple EX
7.40x7.44x4.58
57 table
34.0 crown angle
41.0 pav angle
61.8 depth
Medium faceted

I’m new around here so please bear with me. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you very much in advance!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Run the figures through the HCA tool (under the Tools tab at the top of the forum) to check it scores under (or very near to) 2.0 - that will indicate the angles work well together.

If you can get an ASETscope image, that will help identify cut consistency across the stone and any leakage.

Other than that... F and VVS2 is a great combo IMHO - definitely colourless, definitely eye-clean, but not 'overpaying' for D or E, or the higher premiums associated with VVS1 and IF.

(My good lady's stone is F VVS2 so I am biased ;-) )

Az12345

Rough_Rock
Run the figures through the HCA tool (under the Tools tab at the top of the forum) to check it scores under (or very near to) 2.0 - that will indicate the angles work well together.

If you can get an ASETscope image, that will help identify cut consistency across the stone and any leakage.

Other than that... F and VVS2 is a great combo IMHO - definitely colourless, definitely eye-clean, but not 'overpaying' for D or E, or the higher premiums associated with VVS1 and IF.

(My good lady's stone is F VVS2 so I am biased ;-) )

Thank you very much for your response! Just checked and the HCA is 1.4 (ex fire and light return, vg scintillation and spread). I will look into getting an ASET image. This stone is from James Allen...do they provide ASET images?

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
JA don't provide ASET on rounds, only fancy shapes (so basically everything else).

If you wanted to, you could purchase an ASET for your own use at home, which you could use on any other diamonds you have or if/when you are shopping again in the future. They are sold off David Atlas's website (Oldminer on here), Garry Holloway's website (its inventor), and they come up in the ads at the top/bottom of the forum every so often.

HCA 1.4 means the angles work together, which is good. ASET would be the icing on the cake but many are bought without one.

Az12345

Rough_Rock
JA don't provide ASET on rounds, only fancy shapes (so basically everything else).

If you wanted to, you could purchase an ASET for your own use at home, which you could use on any other diamonds you have or if/when you are shopping again in the future. They are sold off David Atlas's website (Oldminer on here), Garry Holloway's website (its inventor), and they come up in the ads at the top/bottom of the forum every so often.

HCA 1.4 means the angles work together, which is good. ASET would be the icing on the cake but many are bought without one.

Ah I see! Thank you!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sometimes they can get an aset/is image. I've gotten some before, but not for every stone.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think ASET on rounds are rare, but the used to provide an IS.

Az12345

Rough_Rock
I just asked them if they had either and they said they do and they’ll send them over to me within 48 hours! They didn’t say which so I guess I’ll see when I get it.

Sometimes they can get an aset/is image. I've gotten some before, but not for every stone.

I think ASET on rounds are rare, but the used to provide an IS.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just asked them if they had either and they said they do and they’ll send them over to me within 48 hours! They didn’t say which so I guess I’ll see when I get it.

Interested to see what they provide.

You didn't mention price but I found a very similar stone....same proportions but 1.52 carats instead. Around $16,500.

Capture.PNG

https://www.withclarity.com/diamond/5324074623?utm_source=rarecarat&utm_medium=cpc

https://www.adiamor.com/Diamonds/1....6.704&p=1&utm_source=rarecarat&utm_medium=cpc

https://www.yadavjewelry.com/diamond/round-diamond-1.52-carat-f-vvs2-yd5638800

https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/R152-186571412?utm_source=rarecarat&utm_medium=cpc

A couple of these vendors had an ASET and H&A image on 1.52 stone. Looks like some overbright backlighting on the ASET and some manipulation hence the extra green spots on the outside edges. Not a perfect H&A stone but pretty decent symmetry.

Thought you may like a reference point.

R152-186571412-AST.jpg

R152-186571412-HRT.jpg

Az12345

Rough_Rock
Wow, thank you for helping me out! Budget is around 20k. The diamond you found looks nice, but I’m not exactly sure what I should look for with ASET images since I’m not very knowledgeable about them.

You didn't mention price but I found a very similar stone....same proportions but 1.52 carats instead. Around $16,500.

Capture.PNG

https://www.withclarity.com/diamond/5324074623?utm_source=rarecarat&utm_medium=cpc

https://www.adiamor.com/Diamonds/1....6.704&p=1&utm_source=rarecarat&utm_medium=cpc

https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/R152-186571412?utm_source=rarecarat&utm_medium=cpc

A couple of these vendors had an ASET and H&A image on 1.52 stone. Looks like some overbright backlighting on the ASET and some manipulation hence the extra green spots on the outside edges. Not a perfect H&A stone but pretty decent symmetry.

R152-186571412-AST.jpg

R152-186571412-HRT.jpg

Az12345

Rough_Rock
They contacted me and said they’d send me an ideal scope image in 3-5 days. They said they don’t provide ASET for rounds.

Capture.PNG

R152-186571412-AST.jpg

R152-186571412-HRT.jpg

Az12345

Rough_Rock
B64B2B05-C277-463C-9D45-7097A7F378F9.jpeg 554B658F-2E54-4224-B8BC-D5D4D9B758C4.jpeg 8BCC659B-00FE-4CA1-8F7F-65246E292D65.jpeg
Anyone have thoughts on this stone versus the one I previously posted? The price difference is very small considering I’d have to pay tax on the James Allen diamond.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I heard what you said, but I would encourage her to consider VS1 stones. A VS1 stone is a high clarity grade, definitely eye clean, and very clean under magnification also. It's a CLEAN STONE. VS1 and VVS2 meet on the clarity grades, so the crossover from one to the other can be almost nonexistent. Also, at 1.5ct, you're not buying a huge diamond, so any inclusions will be, literally, microscopic.

The reason I'd try to encourage her to consider VS1 - apart from its obvious clarity - is to open up a wider range of purchasing options. If you're considering colorless and high clarity, there is no way I'd be considering anything other than an H&A cut diamond. You really CAN tell the difference, whereas you will NEVER be able to tell the difference between a VS1 and a VVS2 on the hand.

Some of the diamonds you posted seem to have pretty obvious light leakage, and it would be a shame to pay that kind of money and get anything less than stellar; clean is one thing and colorless is another, but the damn thing had better put on a light show once it's on her finger!

If you want a really good diamond, you need a super-ideal cut stone. So I'd be calling High Performance Diamonds or WhiteFlash and seeing what they can do for you; they really DO look different. A Crafted By Infinity diamond from High Performance Diamonds, for example, will be on a whole different level to anything you've posted here. It's the sort of difference she will be able to notice and be proud of, every time, for example, she puts out her hand to show her friends her new ring. It's a visible, quantifiable difference. This is absolutely NOT the case with VS1 vs VVS2.

If you could get a super idea F VVS2 over 1.5ct for under 20k, I'd say go for it. But I don't believe you can, so you need to hit the biggest aspects first, and VVS2 is pointless when it comes to actual visible difference, whereas super-ideal will give you back what you pay for it a thousand times over.

Good luck!

Ss52

Shiny_Rock
Yes!!! HP Diamonds!

Az12345

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much for your input and detailed response! I have told her that going down in clarity a little bit would greatly increase her options, but she’s absolutely dead set on VVS2 or better.

Are the first and second stones I posted not considered super ideal? I chose all of the angles within what I thought are super ideal parameters, but I’m obviously no expert in diamonds.
I heard what you said, but I would encourage her to consider VS1 stones. A VS1 stone is a high clarity grade, definitely eye clean, and very clean under magnification also. It's a CLEAN STONE. VS1 and VVS2 meet on the clarity grades, so the crossover from one to the other can be almost nonexistent. Also, at 1.5ct, you're not buying a huge diamond, so any inclusions will be, literally, microscopic.

The reason I'd try to encourage her to consider VS1 - apart from its obvious clarity - is to open up a wider range of purchasing options. If you're considering colorless and high clarity, there is no way I'd be considering anything other than an H&A cut diamond. You really CAN tell the difference, whereas you will NEVER be able to tell the difference between a VS1 and a VVS2 on the hand.

Some of the diamonds you posted seem to have pretty obvious light leakage, and it would be a shame to pay that kind of money and get anything less than stellar; clean is one thing and colorless is another, but the damn thing had better put on a light show once it's on her finger!

If you want a really good diamond, you need a super-ideal cut stone. So I'd be calling High Performance Diamonds or WhiteFlash and seeing what they can do for you; they really DO look different. A Crafted By Infinity diamond from High Performance Diamonds, for example, will be on a whole different level to anything you've posted here. It's the sort of difference she will be able to notice and be proud of, every time, for example, she puts out her hand to show her friends her new ring. It's a visible, quantifiable difference. This is absolutely NOT the case with VS1 vs VVS2.

If you could get a super idea F VVS2 over 1.5ct for under 20k, I'd say go for it. But I don't believe you can, so you need to hit the biggest aspects first, and VVS2 is pointless when it comes to actual visible difference, whereas super-ideal will give you back what you pay for it a thousand times over.

Good luck!

jp201845

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you so much for the suggestion! I’ve never heard of HP diamonds! I looked at their stuff and they just don’t have anything with VVS2, which my friend is just not willing to budge on.

I realized very quickly that of the 4 C'S the order which most people on Pricescope prefer are

1: Cut
2: Carat ( Size )
3: Colour
4: Clarity

Although some people do prefer Clarity before Colour depends on how sensitive you are.

The only way I think your friend will consider dropping down in clarity is to compare multiple super ideal stones in person....say a VVS2 down to a SI1 without knowing the clarity of each stone and let her eyes do the picking. You will be surprised what she picks and what clarity she thinks each stone will be.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much for the suggestion! I’ve never heard of HP diamonds! I looked at their stuff and they just don’t have anything with VVS2, which my friend is just not willing to budge on.
Whereabouts are you?

If you can get to a Crafted by Infinity dealer, you could request that this stone is brought in for consideration and, as mentioned above, also put it side-by-side with some other options in different clarities.

Az12345

Rough_Rock
Located in Southern California. I’ll look to see if there are any dealers near me.

I actually just received the ideal scope image today. Any thoughts you have would be appreciated!
F4A4C541-071B-4D14-9AD9-2033BFEF9E37.jpeg
Whereabouts are you?

If you can get to a Crafted by Infinity dealer, you could request that this stone is brought in for consideration and, as mentioned above, also put it side-by-side with some other options in different clarities.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the image backlight is a bit too bright, which is making the facets under the table all look leaky - the lightest area within the central circle at the culet is (as I understand it) how to judge / compare to the other areas of brightness/apparent leakage under the table.

The HCA of 1.4 suggests the angles should work together, so that adds weight (for me) to the over-bright backlight theory.

In terms of cut consistency, it looks like some of the facets under the table are quite bright compared to the others - it's these facets that may well be out of alignment with the rest and, therefore, leaky / underperforming.

I am not an expert on IdealScope images, though :)

It looks like there is one CBI dealer in CA, but I know the USA is big and it might be miles away... :lol:
http://craftedbyinfinity.com/web/locations-usa/index.html

The Jewelry Source
Ms Brenda Newman
www.jewelrysourceusa.com/
337 Main Street, El Segundo, CA 90245
United%20States.png
United States
Tel: (+1) 310-332-7110
Fax: (+1) 310-322-4636

Attachments

• upload_2019-5-24_11-56-37.png
    upload_2019-5-24_11-56-37.png