shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with choosing side stones for radiant cut gem!

ordinaryrainbow

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone!

I am a long time reader and very occasional poster. I need some help deciding on side stones for a three stone ring. Center stone is a 2.5 ct radiant cut coloured stone. I like the look of very delicate rings with large center stones (a la Lorraine Schwartz). I have long slim fingers on large hands which tend to make stones look small, and want to make sure I get good finger coverage, especially since the center stone is smaller than I originally wanted. Does anyone have suggestions or guidance on what kinds of side stones would look nice? I can see lots of pictures of emerald cut gems with side stones, but very few radiant cuts with side stones that aren't diamonds.

From what I have seen, traps look great next to radiants, but I am not sure if they would make my finger look oddly short and stubby since they are heftier on the sides than baguettes. I thought pears might also be nice, but am having trouble finding examples.

Let me know if you think I should be posting this in a different forum, and thanks in advance for your help and guidance!

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I looked for picture ideas and while it's not a radiant, I looked for emerald cuts. Same general idea.

What about epaulettes or cadi cut diamonds?

1895053a-9253-4b19-aa4e-af204c167adc.jpg.800x800_q85_background.jpg pair-of-cadi-cut-diamonds-step-cut-f-color-vs-clarity-24.jpg

Or what about half moons?

bfe0059b1282aebf64fa73773ea4d265.jpg

Both would be longer than a trapezoid probably and avoid the possible issue of you feeling it short and stubby. Do you like those at all?

ordinaryrainbow

Shiny_Rock
@elizat Thank you! I do like both of those. Half moons look to be a bit more substantial - am I right in thinking so?

LinSF

Brilliant_Rock
If you are concerned about the wide coverage of the ring and want something a little more petite what about doubling up on baguettes? I.e. Each side has 2 baguettes stacked set horizontally. Something like this, but more delicate without the metal and other stones:

th

th

ETA: Please show us your stone! :)

elizat

Ideal_Rock
@elizat Thank you! I do like both of those. Half moons look to be a bit more substantial - am I right in thinking so?

Cadi cut diamonds are typically shorter than a half moon of the same size, but it all depends on the stones you find or source. I'm sure you could look for ones that were more elongated, just like an more elongated radiant or emerald cut.

Girl505

Rough_Rock
Do you have a Harry Winston in your area? They actually carry settings that have radiants with baguettes as well as with traps. It might be worth going in to try the settings on your finger and see what you like.

If you don’t mind me asking, where did you get your radiant from? Was it a ps vendor? I’d love to see a picture. I think radiant cut diamonds are beautiful, but I also think it is extremely difficult to find one that is well cut.

ordinaryrainbow

Shiny_Rock
@elizat thank you! Chevrons look to be a good option, as they seem a similar cut to the radiant so might compliment it nicely.

@LinSF I love the look of the double baguettes with the round brilliant, but I think they may not compliment the radiant. One being so art deco like(the baguette), and the radiant being more like crushed ice. I think the two baguettes might look better with an emerald cut. But thank you for the suggestion, it was a great one.

@Girl505 yes, there's a Harry Winston near me (I'm in NYC). I love going in there but am always intimidated to ask to try things on, especially when I know I have no intention of purchasing from them. But, since they have both types I am looking for I will get over my intimidation and head on in and ask to see the two settings.

The radiant came from Fine Water Gems. Beautiful cut. However, it is an emerald, not a diamond. I don't know if he cuts diamonds.

@LinSF and @Girl505 will post a picture soon from my phone. I loved the pictures he took for me but in person (in my home - I haven't yet taken it outside) it appears much more blue than green and I'm not sure about the colour. Need to check it out in some different lighting conditions and see if it grows on me.

LinSF

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats on purchasing that stone, it's lovely! :) Fun to see PSers scoop up stones that are talked about/reccomended!

ordinaryrainbow

Shiny_Rock
@LinSF Thank you! :D Since discovering PS, I rely on it a lot for vendor recommendations. Now just have to decide whether the stone is for me, and if it is, how to set it and who to use.

ordinaryrainbow

Shiny_Rock
@SimoneDi I have a sapphire in a halo setting, so considering something different for this stone. I'e always loved the simple look of an emerald-cut emerald with side stones, and hoping to do something similar with this stone. But the fact it's a radiant is throwing me.

Girl505

Rough_Rock
9592CF77-B3AC-4659-8BE5-2EF6117E09DD.png That’s a beautiful emerald! I was on Pinterest and saved this setting for you. I don’t even know if it is your style but it is different and beautiful.

I also started browsing this company’s Instagram and they have settings with many gems similar in color and shape to your radiant. They even had one with side Cadillac cuts. I think browsing their Instagram would help you get a lot of good ideas!

Last edited:

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the idea of baguettes as you do not want to overwhelm the stone and avoid the chunky-shortening finger look. I suggest really big tapered baguettes. You will get the look of more diamond by the stone but it tapers as it does toward your finger. Also a kite shaped diamond my work too.

ordinaryrainbow

Shiny_Rock
@Girl505 Thank you! I actually ended up returning it (it turned up far more blue to my eyes than green, and I prefer the green look), but I am now hunting for another emerald and am still thinking about settings (although I doubt the emerald I end up with will be radiant cut, because that it less common).

@lambskin I like baguettes too, especially since I decided not to settle on the radiant and now may end up with an emerald or asscher cut (as these seem to be the most common emerald cuts). Do you have a pictures of the big tapered baguettes you have in mind? Or maybe step cut traps will short baguettes next to them might achieve the same look?

cokitty

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Img.Stg_473X375.jpg

cokitty

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@ordinaryrainbow What size finger do you have? What are the dimensions of the center stone, 2.5 cts could be a wide variety of dimensions. Do you know what sort of wedding band you'd like to pair it with?

ordinaryrainbow

Shiny_Rock
@cokitty 5.5 I think. I have long, slim fingers. I ended up returning the centre stone I found and am looking at others. The ones I am seeing that I like are more square and less rectangular than the sapphire you posted above (which is gorgeous! I love that simple style). What vendor is that, do you know?

This would be for a right-hand ring. I have two very thin pave wedding bands - one all sapphire and one all diamond. I sometimes wear one of them on my right-hand too, so I suppose it could sit next to the ring sometimes.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results