shape
carat
color
clarity

Alexandrite

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks like the silk that gives some chrysoberyl the cat's eye effect. Alexandrite is a variety of chrysoberyl - it looks like a alex to me!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Anybody who tells you they have (or are selling) a Russian Alexandrite is probably very mistaken. If you read the book mentioned above you'll know that the tiny amount of Russian Alex were mined out almost 100 years ago and most of it was under 1ct. Also the quality of the stones were generally poor. Even long time collectors haven't usually seen a good Russian Alex.

So, basically, if somebody is selling a "Russian" Alexandrite I would steer well clear of them because they're unlikely to know much about Alex. If it's a well known vendor that you feel you can trust then by all means buy the stone on condition that a lab report confirms origin. IF the stone is poor in clarity and colour change there's a very very very slight possibility that it may be Russian.

In the meantime, please read this book because it's an eye opener! https://store.gia.edu/Russian-Alexandrites-p/0201293.htm

Roozea

Rough_Rock
Nobody tell me it is russian, it is indian. Idon't know when I write this. The question is that is alexandrite or not? :)

Nosean

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Nobody tell me it is russian, it is indian. Idon't know when I write this. The question is that is alexandrite or not? :)

It is natural alexandrite - The milky zone are fine tube like negative crystals parallel to a-xis. I have a stone from Sri Lanka with similar inclusion. Dr. Schmetzer described them in his article about alexandrite from Lake Manyara / TAN. Same seen from India and Brazil.

https://gem-a.com/images/Documents/JoG/JoG2011_32_5-8.pdf

Last edited:

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I wasn't replying to you. I was replying to the OP who created this thread.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results