shape
carat
color
clarity

Approximate worth of Sweet Old Mine Cut Ring?

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Hello Ladies & Gents!
I have a simple question for you today!

I'm in the middle of purchasing this ring and luckily the seller has a 30 day free return no questions asked policy but I want to know if you all individually think that this ring is worth the asking price?

Per sellers statement,
-Victorian ring in 14k yellow gold
-In excellent condition
-3 Old Mine Cut Diamonds
-The outer two are approximately .25cts each
-The center being .33cts totalling an overall weight of .80cts
-Size 5
-Ring band is 2.6mm wide

The seller is wanting $520.00 total for the ring. Since I'm a colored stone lover and dont know much about diamonds I thought I'd ask your opinion.
I do love old cuts though, I know that and it totally reminds me of my grandmothers ring which is priceless really. :kiss2:

Also I know that the market fluctuates and that a gemstone or piece of jewelry is worth whatever a customer is willing to pay for it but with that mindset aside, is it worth the asking price at least?

Thanks in advance!

s-l400 (29).jpg s-l400 (31).jpg s-l400 (30).jpg

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That’s a great price.
Just check the diamonds with your fingernail on the girdle (edge) and see if you can “wiggle” any of them. If yes, you’ll need to factor in the cost of a visit to a jeweller to tighten the prong (s) and to keep it a great bargain, hopefully it’s your size (sizing up or down costs extra of course).

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it is a good price but with one caveat. The OMC diamonds might not be lively. I cannot tell from your photos but it is something to be aware of...would you be OK if it turns out the diamonds aren't a good quality? The overall ring is pretty and the price is good for just the ring if you like the overall look. But I cannot say if the diamonds are chunky and lively and beautiful so that is something you would like we would need close ups of the diamonds themselves and a video would also be helpful. If you are just looking for a pretty ring overall then it is a nice piece and a lovely setting but as for the diamonds and how nice they are I cannot say with the photos you shared.

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
@missy
Sadly, (or maybe happily?) for me I'm basically color blind, as in I don't see subtle or not so subtle tints in diamonds well.
I do hope that theyre sparkly enough for me though or have a sweet personality but if not it looks like a return is very easy with this seller! Thank you for this info though Missy!!

@Bron357 Luckily the ring is my size! & I will most definetely check if the diamonds are set snuggly. Theres nothing I hate more than a lose stone, it makes my stomach turn thinking they could fall out. Im hoping the seller inspected it properly and its as described, "in excellent condition". Thank you!

@axelrich Yay! Thank you! Thats always nice to hear!

@Blingismything Thank you for the validation!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@TheGarnetGirl It's not so much about color but about the liveliness of the stones and perhaps the clarity. I don't want it to turn out to be "frozen spit" diamonds if you are familiar with that term. But again for the price it is a sweet overall piece as long as you are OK if the diamonds turn out to be less than sparkly/chunky etc. And since there is such a good return policy so you really cannot go wrong. It is worth seeing in person if you don't want to ask for extra photos/video. Good luck and I cannot wait to see this ring on you. Hoping it turns out to be a real charmer and beauty!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Its gorgeous! Did you get it?

tigertales

Shiny_Rock
What a beautiful ring! I hope it turns out to be perfect for you.
Please come back and share more pics. I love the design ( i have one similar, but with a sapphire center.) And, that gold is lovely!!!

elizat

Ideal_Rock
You bet I did Stracci!
I couldnt resist! It has this old world Victorian charm. :appl:
And if I find out that it doesn't suit me or sparkle enough, I will most definitely be returning it.

I think it looks very nice for the price. I hope it is as good in person!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We are all looking forward to hand shots!:wavey:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I couldnt resist! It has this old world Victorian charm. :appl:

Cannot wait to see photos of this lovely ring on your hand. Fingers crossed it is everything you hope it will be. :appl:

AV_

Ideal_Rock
I love this type of setting - everything about diamonds held among metal sculpture...

This one is so beautifully done!

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Just wanted to update everyone that its expected delivery date is tomorrow, the 30th!
I'm doing this dance!
:appl:
Heres to hoping that its actually delivered so I can have a little treat waiting for me when I get home from work that I can think about all day.
s-l400 (34).jpg

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
I am so excited to see pics on your hand! It’s completely gorgeous!

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
It arrived!
Pardon if my words are jumbled, I just finished a 12 hour shift and am quite exhausted!
So at first I liked it but I just wasnt head over heels for it yet oddly, as I started taking photos of the ring its charm started to slowly unravel to me and I found myself growing ever so fondly of it.
I'm starting to now see that if I keep this ring it will be a piece that I will grow to love not love at first sight.
The gold is a beautiful color and looks more like 18k yellow gold than 14k to me.
Its best represented in this photo;
20190530_204233~2.jpg
Like always, I'm tremendously dreadful at taking accurate photos of diamonds so just know that they look much whiter and sparkly in person. They have this pastel rainbow sparkle that I was able to capture here:
20190530_201517.jpg
A few snaps of the diamonds/faceting patterns that are much clearer:
20190530_202309~2.jpg 20190530_202946~2.jpg 20190530_202309~3.jpg
Lastly a couple of handshots!
20190530_203630.jpg 20190530_203657.jpg

Overall, the ring is very understated yet elegant and the diamonds are lovely for the price.
Im still not 100% about keeping it though so I'm going to be very careful with it and see If it does indeed grow on me even more in the next few days.
I wish I could start a poll now asking if you each would personally keep it for the price or not, so do share if youd like.
It definetely has personality though and one can immediately tell that it needs to be worn to show glimpses of its delicate beauty.
Also the seller was right, and as far as the finger nail test goes these stones are set secure!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It arrived!
Pardon if my words are jumbled, I just finished a 12 hour shift and am quite exhausted!
So at first I liked it but I just wasnt head over heels for it yet oddly, as I started taking photos of the ring its charm started to slowly unravel to me and I found myself growing ever so fondly of it.
I'm starting to now see that if I keep this ring it will be a piece that I will grow to love not love at first sight.
The gold is a beautiful color and looks more like 18k yellow gold than 14k to me.
Its best represented in this photo;
20190530_204233~2.jpg
Like always, I'm tremendously dreadful at taking accurate photos of diamonds so just know that they look much whiter and sparkly in person. They have this pastel rainbow sparkle that I was able to capture here:
20190530_201517.jpg
A few snaps of the diamonds/faceting patterns that are much clearer:
20190530_202309~2.jpg 20190530_202946~2.jpg 20190530_202309~3.jpg
Lastly a couple of handshots!
20190530_203630.jpg 20190530_203657.jpg

Overall, the ring is very understated yet elegant and the diamonds are lovely for the price.
Im still not 100% about keeping it though so I'm going to be very careful with it and see If it does indeed grow on me even more in the next few days.
I wish I could start a poll now asking if you each would personally keep it for the price or not, so do share if youd like.
It definetely has personality though and one can immediately tell that it needs to be worn to show glimpses of its delicate beauty.
Also the seller was right, and as far as the finger nail test goes these stones are set secure!

LOVE it! Sweet chunkalicious delight. Just beautiful.:love::love::love:
Swoonworthy and chunklalcious...just look at those dreamy facets.

chunkydelight.jpg

You did good!

good.gif

summerlove6

Rough_Rock
I think it's fabulous and looks so elegant on your hand!! I would 100% keep this beauty! :love:

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Thank you all for your input!!

And when the GIF comes out I can be sure @missy truly loves it! Haha

I'm getting slowly better at taking photos of diamonds and finding the right lighting.

Oh and I decided to clean the diamonds even though they had seemed to already be and man theyre like three little disco balls!
Heres some more hand shots!!!
Its charm is slowly unfurling like a flower as I suspected! :kiss2:
(Ps. Ignore my puffy morning fingers!)
20190601_101305.jpg 20190601_101306.jpg 20190601_101317.jpg
20190601_103628.jpg

Last edited:

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's hugging your finger! I love the curve to it - it clearly wants to be there!

Very elegant, with a bunch of understated class. Lovely!

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I really think it's a lovely piece! The stones are chunky and bright- and look great in the yellow gold to boot! It's such a pretty look on your hand too. I think it's a keeper! :kiss2:

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Thank you!!!!
& this is a super weird question but would it be ok to go swimming in your average pool with this ring on?

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love it. The gold looks to be a cheerful color (could it be 18k?) and the stones are bright white looking (no idea what GIA color they would actually be) old mine cuts, It is a special, true antique, beautifully designed ring and looks great on you! I wouldn’t wear it swimming though! Also, be sure to check the prongs once in awhile. Enjoy.

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Thank you both!
I ended up going swimming before either of you were able to reply but luckily through a quick internet search found that it could damage and weaken the alloys in the gold so I took it off (:

Other than That it's been on my finger constantly and am enjoying its presence and unfurling beauty.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results