shape
carat
color
clarity

Colombian emerald - Thoughts please !!

vik84

Rough_Rock
Btw, what do you guys think of this Colombian emerald ? It's a bit smaller at about 2.6 cts but the clarity is supposed to be really good.
. ezgif.com-crop.gif unnamed (1).jpg

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Btw, what do you guys think of this Colombian emerald ? It's a bit smaller at about 2.6 cts but the clarity is supposed to be really good.
Very nice. I personally love that really long emerald shape, very elegant and so “Art Deco” looking.

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock

Love the shape, it’s a classic emerald look and I’m sure it will look substantial. Is it untreated also?

vik84

Rough_Rock
Love the shape, it’s a classic emerald look and I’m sure it will look substantial. Is it untreated also?
Yes, it's untreated as well.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, I suggested escrow.com or some similar service to handle the transaction but they just wanted a wire transfer to their account. Seemed too risky since there's no guarantee of a return if the stone didn't get appraised at that price.

I used escrow.com years ago. Good service honestly! But I can see both sides of it, with escrow being the neutral middle ground, but burden of proof does lie with seller.

The report: is it verifyable? can you call someone and say hey, I have this emerald, did you guys have this in your lab?

The seller could have done a couple of things in this instance. Like, agree to send the stone to a independent appraiser that you could both agree on. Take a small down payment (or earnest money, say 5k ) that you would wire to them during this time and allow you to have the stone looked at by that appraiser, once things check out to both of your satisfaction. Granted you'd lose the earnest money if you backed out of the deal, but, it would allow them to see you as serious enough that you're willing to take the plunge...then take negotiations from there.

The seller though is likely hinging on possibly a more emotional buyer, and the possibility of the stone being rare enough and backed up by a report that someone out there will just agree to their terms because they may have a ton of money tied up in this stone or...the other side is that it may have issues and, want someone to just buy without thinking too much about the details.

I learned long ago, trust but verify because hey, even reports can be faked (especially when there's lots of money on the line!) Let me tell you, being on pricescope has saved me plenty of money (it also made me spend plenty to, I guess it evens out:lol-2:)

I'm sad for you that it didn't work out but being cautious and listening to that inner voice can save you in more ways than one.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I love the color on this. Long stones are great for those with long fingers. I'm not such a person:lol-2:

AV_

Ideal_Rock

You have a perfect emerald.

The colour seems very fine. Not small for what it is. The shape is a favorite...

Digressing,

You may hear that slight 'texture' somehow makes the finest colour more obvious - not only in emeralds. It is another purist song, aside IF clarity. The stuff is not more common than the kind of perfection you are after. I only understood what this charade was all about, by looking at examples.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This has been a thread before, but perhaps worth bringing up again. I don't think emerald strength is in pure clarity. For me there are a number of kind of emeralds I enjoy, and it is more about the color and glow and it is possible that microscopic structural differences can cause the stone to have that glowy look.
Basically try to find the best quality of emerald you can find rather than focus on clarity. Read up on emeralds. Look at lots of pictures of top quality emeralds. I especially enjoyed Richard Wise's secrets of the gem trade.
http://www.emeraldpassion.com/sample.htm

https://www.amazon.com/Secrets-Gem-Trade-connoisseurs-Gemstones/dp/0972822380

vik84

Rough_Rock
ezgif.com-crop.gif ezgif.com-crop (2).gif

Finally going to pull the trigger on this one ! Been looking at several other untreated Colombian emeralds, not seeing this color and clarity in any stone of this size. Final price is $25K for the unmounted stone, so hopefully not paying too much of a premium. Hope it looks this good in person !

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
035A76E5-234B-4009-9696-108AAA1460F9.png
Gorgeous stone, and if you’re resetting it, here’s a design idea I love. I apologize, as I forgot who owns this ring. However, the elongated cut screams for this.

I think the $10k/ct price is justified due to the color/clarity/size. Does it have a lab report? Origin is important on the report as well. The clarity is exceptional. It’s rarer beyond rare to find emeralds with color and clarity like that. IMO, I wish my emeralds were as clean. People try to justify jardin as natures beautiful imperfections, and that’s fine, but these are the stones that are rarer than hen’s teeth. The crystal and color are gorgeous.

Last edited:

vik84

Rough_Rock
035A76E5-234B-4009-9696-108AAA1460F9.png
Gorgeous stone, and if you’re resetting it, here’s a design idea I love. I apologize, as I forgot who owns this ring. However, the elongated cut screams for this.

I think the $10k/ct price is justified due to the color/clarity/size. Does it have a lab report? Origin is important on the report as well. The clarity is exceptional. It’s rarer beyond rare to find emeralds with color and clarity like that. IMO, I wish my emeralds were as clean. People try to justify jardin as natures beautiful imperfections, and that’s fine, but these are the stones that are rarer than hen’s teeth. The crystal and color are gorgeous.

Thanks. That's a lovely ring design, I'll keep it in mind. The stone has an AGL lab report confirming origin and lack of treatment. I was specifically looking for an eye-clean no-oiled emerald, so very excited to be finally getting this stone.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks. That's a lovely ring design, I'll keep it in mind. The stone has an AGL lab report confirming origin and lack of treatment. I was specifically looking for an eye-clean no-oiled emerald, so very excited to be finally getting this stone.
Post pics please!! I’m dying to see more pictures!

Congrats!!!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, will do. In the meantime, here's an emerald I came across through the Bright Green stones vendor in Bangkok https://www.instagram.com/b.g.stones/ . It's a 2.46 ct no-oil Colombian emerald certified by GRS confirming origin and no treatment. The asking price is $9K (will try to negotiate) in total. What do you guys think?
IMG_20190520_130523_926.jpg
ezgif.com-crop (3).gif ezgif.com-crop (4).gif

It’s beautiful, but the other stone is in another worldly realm! The other stone is cleaner, and more saturated and just, sigh!!!!

But that square is really nice. Good price!!

@EmeraldEmpress had a really hard time getting in touch with that vendor by the way. Do you know if he checks emails???

Last edited:

vik84

Rough_Rock
He's quite responsive over Instagram. I even got him to shoot a video with the stone between tweezers to see the stone from all angles:

Password: muzoemerald

Can definitely spot some inclusions and the color is a little lighter. But it's a 2ct+ no-oil, which seems pretty to hard to find at this price.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
He's quite responsive over Instagram. I even got him to shoot a video with the stone between tweezers to see the stone from all angles:

Can definitely spot some inclusions and the color is a little lighter. But it's a 2ct+ no-oil, which seems pretty to hard to find at this price.

I rarely say this because I don’t think gems are good investments, but the other stone is investment grade. I already think it’s underpriced. That being said, I have not seen it in person, and that’s a large amount of money regardless. However if it looks accurate like the picture in the still shot, it’s impeccably fine quality.

The square is gorgeous, but not as rare as the elongated stone.

Your video won’t play here for me.

vik84

Rough_Rock
Thanks ! I also believe this is an investment grade stone at a good price, will get it appraised soon. Here are the original videos of the first stone:

I believe there's a small window that was bothering me a bit, but I think I can set the emerald to close up the back.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is the video in natural light?

vik84

Rough_Rock
Yes it's in natural light taken with a camera phone.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Get a photo and incandescent light or a video.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

vik84

Rough_Rock
Which one?

The clean 2.58 baguette cut, previously set into a ring. Still not sure about the other stone as I can spot some tiny inclusions, which means it's definitely not "eye-clean". Also, the dealer's just asking for a bank transfer (no eBay store etc.) and no returns, so seems like a huge risk.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The clean 2.58 baguette cut, previously set into a ring. Still not sure about the other stone as I can spot some tiny inclusions, which means it's definitely not "eye-clean". Also, the dealer's just asking for a bank transfer (no eBay store etc.) and no returns, so seems like a huge risk.
Oh wow, no way then to the latter stone!! Too risky.

I’m so excited to see more pics!!!

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock

vik84

Rough_Rock
The stone arrived. Pls forgive my pathetic attempts to capture it on a camera phone, I just can't seem to show the color and brilliancy in my photos.
IMG_20190523_094437.jpg IMG_20190523_094309.jpg
IMG_20190523_094421.jpg

Getting the stone appraised today along with photos being taken in a lightbox, will hopefully have better photos for you afterwards.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results