shape
carat
color
clarity

DM for price! And other IG sales tactics that suck.

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So here's another example, not IG but a regular vendor. A ps recommended vendor has a band I love, price not listed. I have contacted this vendor twice before about other pieces and decided not to go forth. Now, I am hesitant to even ask. I don't want them to think I am just kicking tires and I would much rather just know without the intimidation that comes with asking. Note, they aren't intimidating; I just feel that way when it comes to asking!!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have no dog in this fight. I see it like this: Vendors do the same thing on social media that they do in brick and mortar locations—prices are not typically made obvious in jewelry cases in stores and there is a reason for that. The most obvious and easiest way to begin a conversation with your customer is to force them to ask a question; specifically, how much is this piece? That’s when the vendor has an opportunity to develop a rapport and turn you into a client rather than just a random sale. If you’ve ever run a business you know that repeat clientele is the name of the game. Are there vendors out there who are doing it wrong and don’t understand the point of not listing prices and using it to their advantage? Of course. But that’s not the main reason a lot of vendors do it. It has more to do with old school sales techniques. If you don’t like old school, don’t buy from people who don’t make prices readily apparent. There is plenty of jewelry out there to go around. No one has a monopoly on selling on Instagram.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
there is a B&M jewelry store not too far from me that has embraced transparency in an interesting way...for the settings, instead of having them in a glass case that locks they are in a glass case that opens and you can pull the drawer out, try on whatever you like, and check the prices yourself. they'll help you as much or as little as you want. so smart, imho. i also (maybe densely) didn't realize at first that branded settings/bridal inventory are often some kind of coated base metal sample instead of gold/plat/etc. it makes sense that they're willing to take more of a risk with those. i don't know what the IG equivalent is but i really liked browsing there and even though i bought elsewhere i'd go again or recommend it to others

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree no price listed or even a "price range" is intensely irritating and I always assume it's out of my league so don't bother to DM to ask.

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Question; if the seller hasn't included the price, but included a link to their website with full photos, dimensions and price - is that still frustrating?

Reactions: AV_

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Question; if the seller hasn't included the price, but included a link to their website with full photos, dimensions and price - is that still frustrating?

I don't mind this. As long as the price is posted somewhere, I am happy. I don't want to dm, email, or call though.

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have no dog in this fight. I see it like this: Vendors do the same thing on social media that they do in brick and mortar locations—prices are not typically made obvious in jewelry cases in stores and there is a reason for that. The most obvious and easiest way to begin a conversation with your customer is to force them to ask a question; specifically, how much is this piece? That’s when the vendor has an opportunity to develop a rapport and turn you into a client rather than just a random sale. If you’ve ever run a business you know that repeat clientele is the name of the game. Are there vendors out there who are doing it wrong and don’t understand the point of not listing prices and using it to their advantage? Of course. But that’s not the main reason a lot of vendors do it. It has more to do with old school sales techniques. If you don’t like old school, don’t buy from people who don’t make prices readily apparent. There is plenty of jewelry out there to go around. No one has a monopoly on selling on Instagram.

I get this. But I want the "buy it now" option when shopping new school, without old school hard sale tactics. :lol:

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
i like the convenience of seeing it on the IG screen tbh but if i'm really interested i don't mind clicking through and it makes sense for a seller who may need to update pricing and not want to go back on IG to edit

GlitterInMyHair

Brilliant_Rock
I'm leery of the whole "DM for price" practice.

I once DM'ed a seller for a "pre-listing price" before the item was put on Etsy, which implied a lower price without the Etsy fee.

A couple of weeks later, I saw the item was on Etsy at a lower price than the "pre-listing" price I was quoted. o_Oo_Oo_O

Last edited:

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I sell a small number of my own things on IG, generally I always put a price in the description, and I keep lowering it on IG and on Etsy until it sells, I don't see the point of not being upfront of what something costs. If someone returns something I will lower the price until it sells.

A large number of sellers do ask you to private message them for pricing, I'm like WTF just put the price already. It's annoying and I always wonder so is there one price for one person and another for a different person. More annoyingly I have vendors that message me hassling for discounts on everything. I'm like this is my own personal stuff - a lot of it is what I paid for it or less already, if you want a discount go buy it somewhere else..... especially when I know you are then going to turn around and charge people twice or more what I'm asking for something.

I've seen that someone buys an Antique piece from me or people on PS and then charges double for it..... and puts DM me for pricing on IG :doh:

And the running joke on IG in the Antique jewellery community, is there is a well known popular lady on IG (she has over 10 000+ followers) and Etsy who sells stuff from another popular UK Antique vendor and others for a lot more without having purchased their items, so she rips off their pics, charges twice the price and doesn't even have their stuff, if she sells it then she buys it off the real vendors, if they sell it then it is unavailable and she has to refund her own customers. Another highly unethical way to conduct a business...

And don't get me started on the same vendor and many others that sell Antique copies made in India and elsewhere claiming they are 100+ year old genuine Antiques on IG....

Last edited:

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I sell a small number of my own things on IG, generally I always put a price in the description, and I keep lowering it on IG and on Etsy until it sells, I don't see the point of not being upfront of what something costs. If someone returns something I will lower the price until it sells.

A large number of sellers do ask you to private message them for pricing, I'm like WTF just put the price already. It's annoying and I always wonder so is there one price for one person and another for a different person. More annoyingly I have vendors that message me hassling for discounts on everything. I'm like this is my own personal stuff - a lot of it is what I paid for it or less already, if you want a discount go buy it somewhere else..... especially when I know you are then going to turn around and charge people twice or more what I'm asking for something.

I've seen that someone buys an Antique piece from me or people on PS and then charges double for it..... and puts DM me for pricing on IG :doh:

And the running joke on IG in the Antique jewellery community, is there is a well known popular lady on IG (she has over 10 000+ followers) and Etsy who sells stuff from another popular UK Antique vendor and others for a lot more without having purchased their items, so she rips off their pics, charges twice the price and doesn't even have their stuff, if she sells it then she buys it off the real vendors, if they sell it then it is unavailable and she has to refund her own customers. Another highly unethical way to conduct a business...

And don't get me started on the same vendor and many others that sell Antique copies made in India and elsewhere claiming they are 100+ year old genuine Antiques on IG....

one of the hassles of selling pre-loved anything is people always looking to haggle. i guess they enjoy it. i really do not. i used to add in a buffer to negotiate but now i just price it at whatever i'm willing to let it go for and if it takes longer or i keep it oh well.

this lady you describe deserves to be named so buyers can better beware. shady!

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Sadly, I can think of at least two IG sellers who fit this description.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes there are more than two on there, but it pays to check out what you are buying either with a valuer or another Antiques dealer or get to know the person selling the items, and make sure they have a refund policy.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I never shop on Instagram. I have to actually message someone, which is unnecessary and annoying, and they don't post prices, which is also unnecessary and annoying. If I wanted to talk to someone while shopping, I'd be shopping in person, not online.

I worry if I ask but decide not to buy multiple times, they would stop telling me the price. The few times I HAVE had to message someone for price or details, it was very hit or miss whether they got back to me, even when the item remained unsold. I'm really not here for that level of annoyance in my shopping.

It also makes it a lot harder to judge overall - even at other vendors - whether the price of something is reasonable, because you have no way to compare prices from these vendors. I'm not sure these days where the good reasonably-priced antique/vintage jewelry is other than instagram.

Follow me on IG for latest finds and lowest prices! No, I'm not going create a To Do list of multiple venues to check in on for a given vendor - if all sales platforms don't feature all items at identical prices, well, I've got other things to do.

God yes. There are multiple websites I've stopped looking at because they do this.

I have no dog in this fight. I see it like this: Vendors do the same thing on social media that they do in brick and mortar locations—prices are not typically made obvious in jewelry cases in stores and there is a reason for that. The most obvious and easiest way to begin a conversation with your customer is to force them to ask a question; specifically, how much is this piece?

The problem with this is that in-store, the price is usually on a tag folded under the item. I can be confident that the price they are showing me is the same price they are showing everyone else. I'm NOT confident that is the case online. I also worry that if they get multiple inquiries, they let the inquirers bid the price up instead of selling to the first. There's just no way to know.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@distracts i understand what you’re saying. But even in stores, a sales associate or manager or owner may decide (based on your rapport/how much they need the sale that day/what kind of mood they’re in/any number of things) to offer you a percentage off that sticker price. And it may not be the same for everyone.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hate having to DM vendors for the price. I feel like most of the time I am wasting their (and my) time because the price is over what I wanted to pay and generally much higher than what I would even consider. That's why I would prefer to see the price listed so I wouldn't need to bother the vendors if it is completely out of my price range. It's annoying IMO to have to contact them needlessly.

IMO transparency is the most professional and efficient way to go about running one's business. I respect that when everything is above board and prices listed for all to see. I respect that in business and respect that in politics (so rare) and respect that in real every day life too.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Yes there are more than two on there, but it pays to check out what you are buying either with a valuer or another Antiques dealer or get to know the person selling the items, and make sure they have a refund policy.

I also say the vendors should be named. I have a feeling I know one of them, but it's just a guess. That's a horrible practice.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
I feel free to ask.

the seller hasn't included the price, but included a link to their website with full photos, dimensions and price

This does it! It could be just a list of numbers. I would expect to be told if the figures are subject to change & perhaps when.

2c

Last edited:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I feel free to ask.

This does it!

2c

Most often (from what I see) is the vendor says DM them for price and further info because they haven't listed it on their site yet. But if they do list it in their online store and all one has to do is go to that link then that works. It's only if they haven't yet listed it and you need to DM them for further info and price that I find it a nuisance.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just want to add that’s another reason I love Alex @parkfinegroupsinc on IG. He always lists the prices and is crystal clear and transparent. And has fantastic prices too!

https://instagram.com/parksfinegroupinc?igshid=1ora7fjb5f4xe

I've bought two diamonds (Uni and Sunshine) from Alex for exactly this reason. I click. I like. I see the price. I buy. Voila! Of course there is other conversation along the way but at least I'm not dealing with the hesitation of asking "how much?", the fear it's TOO much, the worry that if I keep asking about pieces and not buy that he'll stop responding, etc. Alex does sometimes posts an item without a price depending on the stats that come back from GIA, but I don't object to that. Once he's got the info then he posts.

If there was a piece I was thinking about where the vendor said to DM for price I might be tempted to create a second identity to ask about if. For some reason that would be less personal to me in the "how much/too much/asking about too many things without buying" process. (Am I crazy?!)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've bought two diamonds (Uni and Sunshine) from Alex for exactly this reason. I click. I like. I see the price. I buy. Voila! Of course there is other conversation along the way but at least I'm not dealing with the hesitation of asking "how much?", the fear it's TOO much, the worry that if I keep asking about pieces and not buy that he'll stop responding, etc. Alex does sometimes posts an item without a price depending on the stats that come back from GIA, but I don't object to that. Once he's got the info then he posts.

If there was a piece I was thinking about where the vendor said to DM for price I might be tempted to create a second identity to ask about if. For some reason that would be less personal to me in the "how much/too much/asking about too many things without buying" process. (Am I crazy?!)

Yup exactly. The more we ask and don’t buy the less seriously we are taken by said vendors. And let’s face it we love to buy but price is a critical part of the equation. The more info shared out in the open the better.

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also hate DM for price. The main reason is that jewelry is often a planned, intentional purchase for me. If I know what the general price range is then I can better plan for the next purchase. If I know what vendors are value priced vs premium priced that helps me focus on a vendor to work with. Shopping should be fun. I don’t want to feel like I’m having to chase vendors down for basic information. Click the shopping bag is a great option if vendors don’t want to put the price in their post.

I also hate the slow box opening videos, which I think is an unpopular opinion. I know I’m wasting time on IG, don’t drag it out and make it an even bigger time waster.

Now get off my lawn!! (Just realized I sound like a grumpy old lady in this post :)).

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also hate DM for price. The main reason is that jewelry is often a planned, intentional purchase for me. If I know what the general price range is then I can better plan for the next purchase. If I know what vendors are value priced vs premium priced that helps me focus on a vendor to work with. Shopping should be fun. I don’t want to feel like I’m having to chase vendors down for basic information. Click the shopping bag is a great option if vendors don’t want to put the price in their post.

I also hate the slow box opening videos, which I think is an unpopular opinion. I know I’m wasting time on IG, don’t drag it out and make it an even bigger time waster.

Now get off my lawn!! (Just realized I sound like a grumpy old lady in this post :)).

I feel like a grumpy old lady too! :lol: But I am glad I am not alone in my distaste for some of these sales tactics!

GlitterInMyHair

Brilliant_Rock

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thought it was just me that had these wee irritations with the whole thing, so glad to know I’m not alone!

I saw a piece last week which I would have bought on the spot had I been able to see if it was priced how I expected. The seller posted that she thought it would take a while to sell, then joked about wearing it herself meantime! No thank you now........ They don’t seem to understand that they are actually missing out on sales with all this messing about malarkey.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The advantage that I see to buying from IG sellers, and the reason I put up with the “DM for price” irritation, is the selection and prices for antique pieces. I found some of my favorite items on IG and they were generally priced lower than similar items in my local B&M shops.

The IG sellers who have shops on Etsy and Ruby Lane will typically show their new arrivals on IG at a lower price before listing them, so some of the most desirable items never make it past IG. I’ve also sent some of them my wish list and they’ve been able to find exactly what I’ve been looking for, like a concierge service.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
For any vendors seeing this: this tactic is a surefire way for me to go to your competition. Tell me the f'ing price and details or sucker someone else.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results