shape
carat
color
clarity

Is a eye clean 2ct within my budget?

shelstone

Rough_Rock
hahahaha yea I like to get to Houston every now and again, as much as I love San Antonio, I do miss "big city" feel every now and again. And yes, I have been to Philly multiple times with multiple close friends that lived there when I was on the East Coast. I have had a couple colleagues I work with here that were born and raised in Philly and also go there when they need their cheesesteak fix. I wouldn't interrupt our diamond talk unless it was worth it. :lol-2: They have some cool Philly memorabilia on the walls also but definitely a small cramped place....more lending to the authentic feel ;-). I just got my ring from Brian Gavin last month so got my diamond fix then but definitely planning on making a trip soon as always a good time looking at jewelry.

Cheesesteaks are 100% a worthwhile topic change! Houston's city vibe definitely helps me miss Philly a little less, but there's no place like home ( lived there for 26 years). I haven't left Houston since I've arrived in Feb, but hitting up Austin this memorial day weekend. You can now be assured I have San Antonio and "Youz guyz" on the list, can't wait to see the Philly gear so thanks boss!

shelstone

Rough_Rock
OH HAPPY DAY!!!!!
@shelstone
It's happenning!!!! lol BTCA is being super awesome and flexible. We are looking for an appraiser that is local and will give me a chance to see the ring in person. She sent more pics and I'm trying to do my best to be careful and not just buy something really pretty and shiny from a stranger but damn is it beautiful!

shelstone

Rough_Rock
HAPPY DAY!!! Anyone else feel like they are the one getting the ring?!? I absolutely love threads when a guy comes here with little diamond knowledge and embraces ps!!! @shelstone you have done very well and I can't wait to see it happen for you!!

P.S. A huge Texas welcome too!!!
Motto for transplants - "I wasn't born in Texas but I got here as fast as I could!"

Thanks Gussie, I'm all about learning from the experts! I really appreciate all of the community reaching out and commenting haha. When I looked through the previous threads and the volume of responses I was hoping to get 4 or 5 suggestions. I'm over here discussing color theory, prong sizes, HCA cuts, future wedding bands lol. This has been a wonderful experience, you all have been wonderful =D !

And now BTCA is shooting over more pics which is making me feel like I've hit some sort of jackpot, I'm about to just keep the ring for myself, forget my gf : P

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's happenning!!!! lol BTCA is being super awesome and flexible. We are looking for an appraiser that is local and will give me a chance to see the ring in person. She sent more pics and I'm trying to do my best to be careful and not just buy something really pretty and shiny from a stranger but damn is it beautiful!

images

shelstone

Rough_Rock
I have used Steve Silver before. He was very professional, prompt, and courteous. He's located on west 610 south.

https://www.jewelryappraisalservices.com/about-jewelry-appraisal-services-steve-silver.html

Just reached out to Steve and he isn’t comfortable being the meditator and taking responsibility for the diamond so that’s a no go. : (

BTCA understandably doesn’t want to ship it directly to me without getting payment and I understandably don’t want to pay until I get to have someone apprise it and see it for myself. Blegh any other suggestions in Houston?

shelstone

Rough_Rock
Congrat! Op you are so lucky! I was here looking for 2.5ct J color and I didn’t have luck like you! Congrat on this great find!
I honestly gotta give credit to the community cause if you look at post #1 I was going a completely different direction lol. But thank you!

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I personally know Christine York (not anything to do with jewelry). She is an independent appraiser in the Houston area (Bellaire). She usually deals with antique jewelry but you might try her.

http://www.cwygems.com

There is also a list of appraisers in the resource section.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ahhh this is so exciting! I really, really hope it all works out @shelstone! For what’s worth, while I understand that this is a lot of money, I wouldn’t have a problem purchasing through PayPal from a pricescoper and especially since @BTCA is being so understanding. She may allow you a 3 day inspection period during which time you can take the stone to an appraiser. If all checks out - you keep the stone, otherwise, you ship it back.

Another suggestion regarding the setting: you might want to purchase a setting through WF or BGD since they are local in Houston and can create a beautiful solitaire or source a stock setting for you. I know that I would feel comfortable having them set the stone.

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is so exciting! I hope everything works out for you both!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You two got to THIS stage....and NOBODY LINKED ME?? Oh for shame!!

:mrgreen:

Seriously, I am so happy for you, @shelstone! And @BTCA - I'm sending you positive energy for a smooth transaction and a great result.

Fingers crossed and...WOO HOOOOO!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another fabulous PS story - I am sure it will work out for both of you!!

eapj

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I can’t wait to hear how this ends!

shelstone

Rough_Rock
@mrs-b @msop04

Hi team,
Still working on making the diamond thing happened. But I did have a updated on bands that I wanted your input on. Talked to the FF and she was pretty adamant about wanting to get a diamond band on her ring but it was nothing like the original channel band I posted. It was more pave style. So 2 questions and concerns.
1. Can you guys recommend a pave style band for the diamond we found?
2. Would it be bad call to use that diamond because it’s a J color and the contrast of that to the band will make it stand out more?

Thanks for the help!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Go custom for the setting. David Klass Jewelry (DKJ) can make your setting and - as agingsparkle said above - will choose melee to complement the center stone. Choosing melee (the little stones on the band) that match the center stone will keep the center stone looking as white as possible. If you choose melee starkly whiter, you put your center stone at a disadvantage. But if you coordinate the diamonds on the band with the center stone, this ring will look AMAZING.

And no - I'm sure your FF didn't want the channel set effect you were first considering! Dodged a bullet there, @shelstone! Good job!

Give DKJ a call. They are hard to contact because they're so busy, but persevere: you will LOVE working with them - they're the nicest people. If you dont get onto someone fairly promptly, leave a message and let them know you have a thread going on PS and that you were advised to call. They have lovely workmanship and their prices are excellent.

And I agree with agingsparkle again - the ring she posted above woud be perfect for your stone!

shelstone

Rough_Rock
If you go with someone like David Klass, I think he could make sure the color of melee aren't going to be a stark contrast to the stone. Something like this maybe? https://www.instagram.com/p/Bxh4mp0ld-a/

That is exactly what I was looking for. Really thin band, pave going all the way down and 6 prong! This forum is awesome haha. I’ll reach out to David Klass to get a quote, thank you!

shelstone

Rough_Rock
Go custom for the setting. David Klass Jewelry (DKJ) can make your setting and - as agingsparkle said above - will choose melee to complement the center stone. Choosing melee (the little stones on the band) that match the center stone will keep the center stone looking as white as possible. If you choose melee starkly whiter, you put your center stone at a disadvantage. But if you coordinate the diamonds on the band with the center stone, this ring will look AMAZING.

And no - I'm sure your FF didn't want the channel set effect you were first considering! Dodged a bullet there, @shelstone! Good job!

Give DKJ a call. They are hard to contact because they're so busy, but persevere: you will LOVE working with them - they're the nicest people. If you dont get onto someone fairly promptly, leave a message and let them know you have a thread going on PS and that you were advised to call. They have lovely workmanship and their prices are excellent.

And I agree with agingsparkle again - the ring she posted above woud be perfect for your stone!

Okay that’s awesome I will def reach out to DKJ and see if we can make some magic happen! Haha yeah That 6 prong pave is exactly what I was envisioning so that was a very great call on the first try. The forum is magic.

Thx for the advice mrsb!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yes - THIS! ...all of it! (and thank GOD you didn't go with the channel set...)
Keep in mind that melee stones will ALWAYS look whiter and brighter than a much larger center stone, regardless of color. It's just that the faceting is tiny and provides a different type of sparkle than the longer, broader faceting does. DK will take care of you - don't worry. :)

fluffboll

Rough_Rock
Premium
I think that pave has been very trendy lately, and in a decade or two pave might look as dated as the channel setting seems now. Get what you/your partner loves, not just what happens to be hot right now.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that pave has been very trendy lately, and in a decade or two pave might look as dated as the channel setting seems now. Get what you/your partner loves, not just what happens to be hot right now.

Pave styles date way back. I don't consider them to be what's 'hot right now'. Either way, tho, pave is what his girlfriend has expressed an interest in. Personally, I think it's a terrific choice with an unhalo'd solitaire.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Actually, pave has been on trend for 15+ years now... and it's been popular for a very long time before then. It's what I would consider more of a classic style than a trend...

fluffboll

Rough_Rock
Premium
What I meant to say is that designs are popular for a while, then go out of style and are replaced by a new trend. Yellow gold, thick ring shanks and marquise cuts have all been trendy and then fallen out of fashion. Yellow gold and marquise stones have been around for a long time - you could call them classics, yet some people consider them dated. My point is that it is great if you can find something that YOU love, regardless of trends. Besides, I'm not even sure that being able to associate a certain style with a particular time period is inherently bad. It reveals (roughly) when you got engaged, no shame in that! =)2 I was not critisizing the pave style, just trying to give a historical perspective and encourageing the OP to think outside the box.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results