shape
carat
color
clarity

BROOCHES & Pins. Why Don't We Wear Them?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm falling more and more in love with my antique omc pin.... I am trying to resist this new blingy rabbit hole... IMG_20190425_204857.jpg

Blingy rabbit holes are the best rabbit holes...:whistle:
Your pin is gorgeous @kipari :love:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's an antique black onyx brooch/pin I have that is understated but very sweet IMO.

antiquebroochwithbubbalah.jpg.png

For some blingy brooches though ooh la la look at this lovely collection I took a photo of a while back at one of the antique jewelry shows.:love:

diamondpins.jpg

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well we all know how I would answer the original question. :lol:

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I changed my mind about brooches since I last posted on this thread and have worn them a lot this past year. I bought a new long one to close long cardigans. My mom really liked it so I had to get the same one.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got a Tiffany brooch on ebay to wear at my daughter’s wedding last month. Now I’m thinking I should wear it all the time to make the purchase « cost effective » LOL
LOVE the idea of wearing it on jeans or a cuff, or even a purse.

6CA72740-F39F-4ABB-B118-FB39D7C9E20F.jpeg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I inherited a few brooches but mostly wear them on my winter coats, I agree often it's the style of clothing that lends itself to wearing them. I'm too scared they will fall out of my hair but I love the belt idea. Here is my silver & moonstone scorpion from my grandma - we are both Scorpios.
IMG_0219.JPG

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m afraid of poking permanent holes in a lot of my blouses and tops, especially the Etro tops. If I can thread a chain through the brooch, I will wear it as a pendant.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m afraid of poking permanent holes in a lot of my blouses and tops, especially the Etro tops. If I can thread a chain through the brooch, I will wear it as a pendant.

Yes I agree. I hate piercing holes in my tops and sweaters and coats. I don't know how to do this so it is completely secure for a brooch but my dh attached a cat appliqué to my leather coat with magnets on both sides and it is still working out years later. I have not tried applying this theory to brooches/pins but there might be a way to make it work. :think:

Here's how I wear my Francesca on my jacket collar.

Screen Shot 2019-05-11 at 7.34.21 AM.png

Starfacet

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Interesting that I just noticed this thread. I just snagged a brooch at my favorite second hand jewelry store that I *thought* I wanted to harvest the 8 very sparkly OEC diamonds out of for a band. The brooch is platinum on top and 18K yellow gold underneath. Maybe I should wear it vertically as a pendant? I'd love your thoughts!
OEC brooch.jpg

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Interesting that I just noticed this thread. I just snagged a brooch at my favorite second hand jewelry store that I *thought* I wanted to harvest the 8 very sparkly OEC diamonds out of for a band. The brooch is platinum on top and 18K yellow gold underneath. Maybe I should wear it vertically as a pendant? I'd love your thoughts!
OEC brooch.jpg
I think that'd be a stunning bracelet!

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OEC brooch.jpg
Lovely brooch. I think it'll look great as a vertical pendant. I wear my long brooches to close open front cardigans.
IMG_20190517_154552.jpg

Starfacet

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovely brooch. I think it'll look great as a vertical pendant. I wear my long brooches to close open front cardigans.
IMG_20190517_154552.jpg
I love the cardigan idea but most of mine are knits so I'm afraid my brooch would poke holes in the knit!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OEC brooch.jpg
I love pins, and would love to see you keep the piece in it's original condition.
Wear the pin a few times and see how you feel about it. You may decide you love it as a pin!
But if you don't like it after all, it sure would make a gorgeous bar necklace!
I'm just against trashing the setting to repurpose the stones.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the cardigan idea but most of mine are knits so I'm afraid my brooch would poke holes in the knit!
The cardigan in the pic is a knit which is better for brooches because the holes that brooch makes close right up as the knit is flexible. I wouldn't put a brooch on a woven like a silk blouse because those holes wouldn't close up.

Starfacet

Ideal_Rock
Premium

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Starfacet I love your bar pin! And, I did the same thing last year. I bought this brooch intending to take the deliciously chunky 6 side stones to make a 1/2 eternity, and move the triangular ends in to meet the onyx to keep as a brooch or convert to a pendant. I just can’t seem to pull the trigger even though it would be a two for one. I find if a wear patterned shirts/blouses the holes from the brooch aren’t noticeable. I wish I had the courage to wear brooches in my hair as I love the look on others.
ABE9DCE4-2433-4E40-9E31-C65D194D4455.jpeg

Starfacet

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Starfacet I love your bar pin! And, I did the same thing last year. I bought this brooch intending to take the deliciously chunky 6 side stones to make a 1/2 eternity, and move the triangular ends in to meet the onyx to keep as a brooch or convert to a pendant. I just can’t seem to pull the trigger even though it would be a two for one. I find if a wear patterned shirts/blouses the holes from the brooch aren’t noticeable. I wish I had the courage to wear brooches in my hair as I love the look on others.
That is beautiful and so unique! I can see why you haven't been able to pull the trigger to change it up!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stunning! Is that camphor glass? Love it!

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you. It is rock crystal.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a pretzel that can be worn either as a pendant or a pin/brooch. I have posted it on Pricecope before, but never mentioned that it could be a brooch. It has matching earrings. It is made by Yossi Harari and is high karat gold encrusted with diamonds. I do not recall if it is 24K or 22K or 21K but it is executed in whatever karatage gold in which Yossi Harari usually works. I have to look for a picture on the computer since the real thing is in the safe deposit box. I have to say that I have never worn the pretzel as a brooch. It is quite heavy and I wouldn't want it pulling down a lightweight blouse or dress.

Sarh Jessica Parker wore a larger version of this pretzel on "Sex and the City", but I did not see the show. I only learned of it after buying my necklace. My pretzel is a size large. Apparently she wore a size extra-large on the television show.

AGBF

SaltedPretzel1.jpg SaltedPretzel2.jpg

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a beautiful antique brooch I wear as a necklace. To answer you question on why we don't wear them as pins- for me it is because I think brooches seem to be a bit formal when worn as a pin, but can fit right in with casual clothes when worn as a pendant, conversion ring or bracelet.

GlitterInMyHair

Brilliant_Rock
And I wish I have a lifestyle fancy enough that I can wear this without looking like I'm trying waaaaaay too hard, lol.

Christian Dior 18k brooch with diamonds, rubies, and MOP.

Screenshot_20190629-155852~2.png
Screenshot_20190629-155858~2.png

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results