shape
carat
color
clarity

Single or double claw prongs?

MoreSparkle

Rough_Rock
SO and I are customizing a VC setting for our 2 carat RB. We've nailed down just about all the details, but we are still undecided on the claw prongs. I'd love to get your opinions on which you would choose and why (either aesthetic or functional). Are double claws overkill for a 2 ct (ours is roughly 8.2 mm diameter)?

For frame of reference, VC's single vs. double claws.

Small Solitaire Front.png Small Solitaire Side.png
Double Claw Front.png Double Claw Side.png

The single claws shown are on a 1.3 ct and double claws on a 2 ct. We'll have a scalloped basket (like the first one) that has pave, and a cathedral (like the second one), if that matters at all.

Thank you!

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If going with ‘4 prong’ style, I prefer double claws for security, especially for a larger stone such as yours. But it’s really personal preference I think.

MoreSparkle

Rough_Rock
If going with ‘4 prong’ style, I prefer double claws for security, especially for a larger stone such as yours. But it’s really personal preference I think.

Thanks! I did a search of past Pricescope threads and "above 2 cts" seemed to be around where people thought double claws are better for security. I've seen the double claw prongs on a few 3 ct settings and they look right at home, but I'm less sure about 2 ct. As beautiful as VC's double claw prongs are, I'm slightly worried they may take up too much real estate. I think I'm in the "analysis paralysis" stage.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I concur with @the_mother_thing in that the double claws are more secure. I also think the double prongs distinguishes a ring as a unique bespoke piece. IMO. Beautiful setting.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have double claw prongs on my 5.6 mm studs and my 1ct crisscut cushion ring. I don’t think they’re too much at all. If they’re done well then they should look very delicate.

WhatAboutTheCats

Rough_Rock
I find the double-claw prongs to be really beautiful. a 2 carat center will definitely be able to accomodate double-claws without losing too much real estate =)2

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have double claw prongs on my 5.6 mm studs and my 1ct crisscut cushion ring. I don’t think they’re too much at all. If they’re done well then they should look very delicate.
Sorry for going off topic but is there a thread for your criss cut? I feel like I have seen it but wanna see it again ... like a good blingaholic. :mrgreen2:

Swirl68

Shiny_Rock
Are you sure you want claw prongs? Personally, I love them, but they seem to be falling out of fashion.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you sure you want claw prongs? Personally, I love them, but they seem to be falling out of fashion.
I think double claw prongs are not dependent on fashion. They are a classic look and especially appropriate for larger stones which the OP certainly has. VC’s double claws are well executed and finely made. I think it depends on the wearer. It may provide more peace of mind from a security perspective but I bet that single claws will be safe enough if that is the wearer’s preference. I am sure it won’t wont look too big for the stone. VC makes sure the proportions are pleasing to the eye rather than obtrusive.

MoreSparkle

Rough_Rock
Thank you everyone, we're sticking with the double claws as originally planned! I think I need to trust my gut more :geek2:

LinSF

Brilliant_Rock
I think that double claws could really obscure a smaller stone, but a 2 carat should be fine, especially as hand forged by Victor Canera. For strength purposes, single claws should be secure enough with hand forging so it's really an aesthetic preference. I prefer single claws, but doubles are also beautiful on a large centerpiece!

TweetyBird23

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think the double prongs add a special touch!

scouty

Brilliant_Rock
Double claw :appl:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd ask VC what he thinks if you don't have a preference. I like his aesthetic.
It's a tough decision. I like double prongs if it were my choice. VC will make them proportional to your stone so I wouldn't worry about them overwhelming your diamond.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Not exactly what was asked but I'd personally prefer a six prong setting. Whether single or double prongs, four looks square-ish to me.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results