shape
carat
color
clarity

Big Ticket Buyer's Remorse Stories?

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't complain to friends about this b/c like many PS discussions it is such a 1st world problem. BUT....it still irritates me. We bought a car last year which was more than we wanted to spend, but we really wanted it. Turns out they changed the pricing and options such that we would have saved 6-10k if we waited a few months and the resale value has tanked as a result too. AAAAARGH. Thinking of the other things I could have bought with that money is driving me crazy.:angryfire::angryfire::angryfire:

Does anyone else have stories about big ticket buyer's remorse? Misery loves company.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have overpaid for a number of bling pieces over the past few decades. Knowing what I know now. But I’ve learned my lesson and don’t regret it per se. Too much wasted energy and honestly it’s not worth it. I’m smarter now so that’s what counts. Moving forward with knowledge hard earned.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have overpaid for a number of bling pieces over the past few decades. Knowing what I know now. But I’ve learned my lesson and don’t regret it per se. Too much wasted energy and honestly it’s not worth it. I’m smarter now so that’s what counts. Moving forward with knowledge hard earned.

Yes exactly. That's what my husband says when I ruminate over something I can't change. I try to remind myself we can only move forward, not back.

In this case a ton of other customers were badly burned also and I think the company is going to lose a lot of future business, it certainly lost mine.

Thanks, Missy, I feel better already =)2

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes exactly. That's what my husband says when I ruminate over something I can't change. I try to remind myself we can only move forward, not back.

In this case a ton of other customers were badly burned also and I think the company is going to lose a lot of future business, it certainly lost mine.

Thanks, Missy, I feel better already =)2

It really sucks the car company burned their customers. I’m sorry this happened to you and yes speaking with our future dollars is a positive way to deal with it but yeah it stings. I’m glad you’re feeling better and anyone would be upset about that. (((Hugs))).

LittleRed

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
We bought a house in 2005 and sold it in 2014. Huge, HUGE, ginormous loss! :blackeye: It’s rather sickening if we think about it, but we now live where we want to be and love it. It is, after all, just money.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We bought a house in 2005 and sold it in 2014. Huge, HUGE, ginormous loss! :blackeye: It’s rather sickening if we think about it, but we now live where we want to be and love it. It is, after all, just money.

Ugh it is so hard to time those decisions. I'm very glad you ended up in a place that makes you happy. Quality of life is definitely more important. I try to remember we can always earn more money. =D

Trying to re-evaluate my relationship with money in general. My reaction when I make a costly mistake or *especially* if I feel someone took advantage of me financially is so influenced by past experiences that I can overreact in the present.

Crazie4Cuts

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Arrrrghhh! I feel for you @bludiva! In fact my hubs and I are looking to buy a car and I’m still driving a 1998 Toyota that was given to us from his dad and it doesn’t have 100,000 miles yet! I want a hybrid but can’t justify the price for a new one! But we have bought used cars and some were great and others not so great! I am so mad at the last used vehicle that we just sold because We put in a new battery, struts, and tires all in the past like 2 years! In the last 6 months it acting up in the transmission! So we got fed up and just sold it and took a hit.
-C4C

Luvallgems

Brilliant_Rock
I so identify LittleRed! We bought a 2nd home (on a large lake), in 2007...
right before the big crash of 2008, sold it 3 years ago ( at my insistence),
long story about how friends/ family can take advantage of your
generosity. The 2nd home was supposed to be a respite from work/stress..
NOT:evil2:

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
is it a Telsa?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I try not to dwell on mine because well, what cha gonna do???
Plus it wasnt huge bucks but I certainly would have enjoyed spending it on something else.

My breast doc recommended a 3D mamo. My insurance company doesnt cover them for diagnostics (I think thats what it was). I went ahead
and paid out of pocket $1600 and got the mamo. All good. Anyway, a month later I get a notice that the place we have to go to due to insurance is
now doing 3D mamos and my insurance would now cover them. :x2 Gee, thanks! :wall:

I am glad that they will cover them now though in case I ever need one in the future.

Last edited:

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Arrrrghhh! I feel for you @bludiva! In fact my hubs and I are looking to buy a car and I’m still driving a 1998 Toyota that was given to us from his dad and it doesn’t have 100,000 miles yet! I want a hybrid but can’t justify the price for a new one! But we have bought used cars and some were great and others not so great! I am so mad at the last used vehicle that we just sold because We put in a new battery, struts, and tires all in the past like 2 years! In the last 6 months it acting up in the transmission! So we got fed up and just sold it and took a hit.
-C4C

I worked for a car company years ago and swore I would never buy a new car again but I was too impatient this time...used cars are tricky too...I try to look at it as a consumable item like food or clothes so I'm not disappointed if it loses value faster than expected.

The best thing for the environment is to drive a car until it dies so you can feel righteous about waiting!

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I so identify LittleRed! We bought a 2nd home (on a large lake), in 2007...
right before the big crash of 2008, sold it 3 years ago ( at my insistence),
long story about how friends/ family can take advantage of your
generosity. The 2nd home was supposed to be a respite from work/stress..
NOT:evil2:

I'm so sorry the 2nd home hasn't been a respite for you and hoping that it turns around or that the next one is a wonderful refuge =)

EmeraldEmpress

Shiny_Rock
If it makes you feel any better, I know someone who accidentally threw a box away with a good amount of cash stowed inside.... talk about upsetting :( At least you have something to show for the $$ you spent?

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I try not to dwell on mine because well, what cha gonna do???
Plus it wasnt huge bucks but I certainly would have enjoyed spending it on something else.

My breast doc recommended a 3D mamo. My insurance company doesnt cover them for diagnostics (I think thats what it was). I went ahead
and paid out of pocket $1600 and got the mamo. All good. Anyway, a month later I get a notice that the place we have to go to due to insurance is
now doing 3D mamos and my insurance would now cover them. :x2 Gee, thanks! :wall:

I am glad that they will cover them now though in case I ever need one in the future.

aaaaargh that is so irritating. i would have followed the doc's recommendation too and spent the extra money.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If it makes you feel any better, I know someone who accidentally threw a box away with a good amount of cash stowed inside.... talk about upsetting :( At least you have something to show for the $$ you spent?

omg! arrrrrgh! i'm sure someone out there has accidentally thrown away a gold bar or jewels or something amazing and is kicking themselves. can you imagine?!

EmeraldEmpress

Shiny_Rock
yep. drives nice but the company treated their early adopters like garbage.
Had a similar experience with Volvo, as far as poor customer service- they completely misled me about delivery time.... I waited just about SEVEN months for a vehicle I was told would be delivered in about three. It has sadly changed how I feel about the brand, not sure they will win me back, but we'll see. Sorry to hear Tesla isn't treating it's customers better too.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hear what is being said about being annoyed when a price goes down a little while after purchasing something, but would you rush back to give the company more money if they increased the price? ;-) :D

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Had a similar experience with Volvo, as far as poor customer service- they completely misled me about delivery time.... I waited just about SEVEN months for a vehicle I was told would be delivered in about three. It has sadly changed how I feel about the brand, not sure they will win me back, but we'll see. Sorry to hear Tesla isn't treating it's customers better too.

Good to know b/c i had volvo on my consideration list as well. Yeah tesla made some desperate moves to increase volume but they could have *easily* made it right with the 2018 purchasers without losing any money out of pocket by offering a choice between activating some of the upgraded software features or 10k towards a to-be-developed vehicle (which would have also helped their future sales). I didn't even have it the worst, some of the owners of the more expensive models lost 20k in resale value overnight and a many owners are upside down on their loans. thoughtless decision-making on their part. to be fair, i thought our car was overpriced at the time but we really wanted an EV so we bought it anyway. The current configurations are worth the current price imho but my feeling on the company is totally soured. Sorry for the rant! I feel better though so thank you!

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hear what is being said about being annoyed when a price goes down a little while after purchasing something, but would you rush back to give the company more money if they increased the price? ;-) :D

That's an argument some owners have put forth, they are happy to pay an early adopter "fee" but if you look into how the pricing/configurations changed vs. the communications to current/ potential customers the tactics used by the company were sketchy. It's not the same as a car company having a year-end sale and oh well I could have timed it better...it's lots of people losing 10-20% of the original purchase price in some cases with implications for insurance, resale, etc. Poorly handled by the company.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ECF17AC9-D6B0-4173-A7E9-BFE82253AED5.jpeg My first piece of expensive jewelry.
After finishing high school my best friend and I had planned for years to go to Europe for a holiday. I had been saving and working multiple part time jobs for years to save up $4,000. Just before finally buying tickets and booking accommodation my best friend and I had a massive falling out and the trip / adventure cancelled.
I was devastated.
I went into town and saw a beautiful ring in a showcase. I went inside and impulsively bought it.
I took it home and feeling so guilty, shocked and ashamed at my impulsiveness I hid it in my wardrobe for 3 months. When I finally had the nerve to wear it and let my mother see it, my mother went absolute bananas on me! How could I waste so much money on a stupid ring. How could I spend in 5 minutes what had taken more than 5 years of hard work to save! And she actually “smacked” me (I was 18 btw).
40 years later I still have the ring which I have basically never worn and my mother has never seen it again lest it “set her off again”.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh no @Bron357 the frienship loss, beating yourself up over the purchase, and your mother piling on must have been so hard to deal with all at once at thay age. One of my favorite feelgood stories is your treasure trove find and I'm glad this early experience didn't dampen your love of shiny things.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh no @Bron357 the frienship loss, beating yourself up over the purchase, and your mother piling on must have been so hard to deal with all at once at thay age. One of my favorite feelgood stories is your treasure trove find and I'm glad this early experience didn't dampen your love of shiny things.
Thanks.:kiss2:
Of course the irony is that if I’d spent the $4,000 on a holiday it would now be but a dim and distant memory whereas my sapphire ring is still as beautiful as the day I impulsively bought it.:mrgreen2:

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
omg! arrrrrgh! i'm sure someone out there has accidentally thrown away a gold bar or jewels or something amazing and is kicking themselves. can you imagine?!

In 2009, I threw away 8 - 1oz gold coins while prepping our house to sell. It still makes me sick at my stomach.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I regret buying our house. We were 25 and had moved from a condo because it was burglarized and I couldn't sleep at night. Here is the thing though, DH and I are not house people, we were much better suited for condo living and we find owning a house overwhelming even now at 40. Plus it was a very tough housing market and our area leaves a bit to be desired but it was what we could afford at the time.

Well the city is working on developing the riverfront not far from our house and if that happens our house value will go up, so that's why we are still here.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In 2009, I threw away 8 - 1oz gold coins while prepping our house to sell. It still makes me sick at my stomach.

Oh nooo:eek2: so easy to do. I sometimes tell myself things are just "lost" when I have the suspicion I've thrown them away so I can put off feeling badly :geek2:

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I regret buying our house. We were 25 and had moved from a condo because it was burglarized and I couldn't sleep at night. Here is the thing though, DH and I are not house people, we were much better suited for condo living and we find owning a house overwhelming even now at 40. Plus it was a very tough housing market and our area leaves a bit to be desired but it was what we could afford at the time.

Well the city is working on developing the riverfront not far from our house and if that happens our house value will go up, so that's why we are still here.

I hope you're able to trade it for the riverfront condo of your dreams soon :) Homes are tough b/c the financial aspects are mixed in with so much personal meaning. It worries me to see similar dynamics with lending as before the recession popping up again, at least in my city. :/

EmeraldEmpress

Shiny_Rock
Thanks.:kiss2:
Of course the irony is that if I’d spent the $4,000 on a holiday it would now be but a dim and distant memory whereas my sapphire ring is still as beautiful as the day I impulsively bought it.:mrgreen2:

I was hoping when I read your story that the ring in question was the sapphire one pictured, bc it's beautiful! It seems it was a great deal too actually from the looks of it. I do hope you have since been able to enjoy it! Not everyone can truly appreciate jewelry like those of us on these forums seem to ; )

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A friend of mine bought a beautiful Hugo Boss women's shirt. It fitted her *perfectly* and looked wonderful on her. It was the sort of thing she would have worn a lot. She often used to hang a plastic bag on a door knob to put rubbish in when cleaning up her house, and she accidentally put an empty plastic shopping bag carefully into her closet, then tossed bits of paper, rubbish, tissues, etc into the bag with the HB shirt in it. Then threw it out. She realized a couple of days later after the trash had been taken and she found an empty plastic bag in her closet. She's still not over this, and that was 10 years ago.

One of our most annoying experiences of the lost-money variety was when my DH's uncle died. He left us a chunk of money at a time when the AU / US exchange rate was almost 1:1. But the family member who was the executor of the will fiddled around, wasting time and not getting around to it, and we sat by as the AU $ tanked. Roughly 3 months later when he finally received it, DH's inheritance money was roughly half what it had been when his uncle had died. We never even got a 'sorry' for this, despite it costing us solidly into the 5 figures.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results