shape
carat
color
clarity

Wedding Videographer

Rubymal

Shiny_Rock
Hello PS'ers!

I'm in a bit of a pickle with choosing a videographer for my wedding. I've watched countless videos and really only one company stood out to me (in terms of their style, shots, etc). I scheduled a phone call with the "creative director" and had a quick chat with her about how long she's been in the business. Come to find out- she is located on the other side of the country but has 2 videographers that she works with to capture video on my side of the coast. She said if we booked them, I would be working with her and someone else on her staff a month before my wedding. Then come day of- she and the other lady will not be present, but that two of their videographers would show up.

I asked if it was possible to meet or talk to these videographers and she said no. She said we would only get their contact information day of and it would strictly be for emergency purposes. She also mentioned that the videographers work other regular 9-5 jobs so calling or contacting them during the week is a no no.

It seems like too much of a gamble to agree to work with two videographers that I will have had zero contact with prior to the big day. What are your thoughts? Should that be a deal breaker?

(In terms of cost, for full day coverage its going to be about $3k, which is a bit more than what I wanted to spend, but I would be wiling to spend the amount if it meant a smooth experience and great result).

Reactions: AV_

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can she show you particular videos that the other people have shot?

Does she edit all videos and have final creative sign-off of all videos?

Or are they effectively a franchise arrangement?

Each person's style is individual (as you have seen!) so I personally would also be hesitant going with two unknown people without evidence to suggest the end results are the same regardless of who within the larger organisation shoots the actual events.

I have the feeling she's just trying to stop people from going direct to the two people to save money, which I can understand, but it is still frustrating.

FWIW we had a videographer / photographer arrangement - I HATE watching myself so have only ever watched the whole thing once or twice when forced :lol: and I feel it is one of those things that is nice to have but not essential in the end. I mean, how often does anyone who is married dig out their photos? It seems like many people who go 'all digital' never even get round to sorting through the pictures and actually printing any... lol. (Not to mention needing to create copies of all digital media for safekeeping in different places, and then transferring that to new media formats periodically to keep it up to date and accessible...)

I think what I'm trying to say is that you shouldn't feel like a videographer is essential so don't stress too much if you can't get one or just don't get one - there's so much to remember of the day anyway, and pictures are still great at evoking memories and being nice to look at, without any potential cringe factor :)

EDIT: I just thought - could she get the videographers to call you from a withheld number, so you can at least get a 'feeling' from them?

Last edited:

Rubymal

Shiny_Rock
Can she show you particular videos that the other people have shot?

Does she edit all videos and have final creative sign-off of all videos?

Or are they effectively a franchise arrangement?

Each person's style is individual (as you have seen!) so I personally would also be hesitant going with two unknown people without evidence to suggest the end results are the same regardless of who within the larger organisation shoots the actual events.

I have the feeling she's just trying to stop people from going direct to the two people to save money, which I can understand, but it is still frustrating.

FWIW we had a videographer / photographer arrangement - I HATE watching myself so have only ever watched the whole thing once or twice when forced :lol: and I feel it is one of those things that is nice to have but not essential in the end. I mean, how often does anyone who is married dig out their photos? It seems like many people who go 'all digital' never even get round to sorting through the pictures and actually printing any... lol. (Not to mention needing to create copies of all digital media for safekeeping in different places, and then transferring that to new media formats periodically to keep it up to date and accessible...)

I think what I'm trying to say is that you shouldn't feel like a videographer is essential so don't stress too much if you can't get one or just don't get one - there's so much to remember of the day anyway, and pictures are still great at evoking memories and being nice to look at, without any potential cringe factor :)

EDIT: I just thought - could she get the videographers to call you from a withheld number, so you can at least get a 'feeling' from them?

Hi Shiny, thanks for the response! I ended up going with my gut and decided to rule her off the list. The conversation I had with her was not super pleasant and it just didn't seem like the right fit. I started searching for other videographers and ended up finding a husband and wife team duo and had a fantastic phone convo with them. Whoo hoo, problem solved!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Shiny, thanks for the response! I ended up going with my gut and decided to rule her off the list. The conversation I had with her was not super pleasant and it just didn't seem like the right fit. I started searching for other videographers and ended up finding a husband and wife team duo and had a fantastic phone convo with them. Whoo hoo, problem solved!
Excellent news :))

I do think that our instincts tell us a lot, so I'm pleased that you've found a better option!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results