shape
carat
color
clarity

Setting help for a 2.34 antique cushion

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I just received a 2.34 antique cushion that is an M VS2 yesterday. I thought I had the setting all figured out for it, but then the stone arrived. Now, I'm not sure. It was going to be a french cut emerald target halo. It measures 8.29 x 7.94.

This is the stone:

IMG_20190410_101529257.jpg

i-pftL2KM-L.jpg i-6G3rXxM-L.jpg

I was planning on making a target ring to replace a smaller target ring I sold. This is the setting I was going to go with originally.

IGP5591-2_910a2ba5-4d59-4529-b336-d4d713a8d4c1_1200x.jpg

Now that I have the stone, I almost think that it would be better as a non-gem halo. It's not an engagement ring or an upgrade. Just a ring. So I don't want a super traditional solitaire either.

I have always liked these two settings by CvB, but I have never worked with her, so I don't know if we'd be a good match. I have done custom work before too, so I know it takes time. But, I like both settings:

il_794xN.1447588246_bkzw.jpg
il_794xN.1364108387_p7uh.jpg

I also really like the Clara, but I don't know if it's right for the stone.

il_794xN.946957664_nqkb.jpg

Help? Any input? Target ring or not? Or something altogether different?

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m partial to your original idea with the emeralds :love:. Who did you have in mind to create that setting if you decide on it? All of the inspiration rings you posted are beautiful though.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hard choices, all are unique and gorgeous. I love gemstone halo, but you have to be sure that you will be ok with either color and gemstone material long term (especially if you want to pair with other colored/diamond bands, or not? or if you will wear this with certain attire or color, whereas diamonds, you don't have to match clothing per se... I don't typically do the clothe matching thing to rings, but others do) once you figure if you would like to commit to a color then you can put it back in your mix?
Its apparent that you would like some sort of "halo" design, whether, gemstone (color) metal, or with diamonds? I think narrowing down first if you are ok with color then move on to whether you want metal halo only without diamonds if not, then nix that and so forth? I guess this is how my mind process...lol

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oooh I was looking at that diamond and was very tempted! It's so pretty. Thinking about buying it made me daydream on how I'd set it, and I was thinking solitaire because I don't have one and it's a fairly large stone. But I do really love the emerald target ring. I've been seeing them in my browsing around and find myself drawn to them. I do love the last setting you posted though too.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Hi @Bonfire - thanks! The emerald setting would be done by SinCityFinds, but I *think* that Diana uses David Klass' bench. I have never directly asked her though.

@D&T good thoughts and input. I don't ever match clothing or jewelry really. I had two emerald target rings. I still have one smaller deco navette target, but I sold a rose cut pear emerald target. I wore that all the time. But, for some reason, I really like that Cora setting by CvB. It's the third setting down with the curlique things. It's pricey though, at around $3400.

@lovedogs the emeralds are pretty...

@junebug17 It is a pretty stone. I traded in a piece with Grace to use as a credit. Now just to figure out what exactly I want to do with it. I keep really liking that Cora setting. But it is very different from what I thought I wanted.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@elizat, I hear you! A decision like this is very hard...the Cora setting is beautiful.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sincityfinds made my emerald and OEC eternity band. I love it, the emeralds are beautiful! I’m sure she doesn’t use DK’s bench however. You will be very happy with the quality of the emeralds and overall ring, her pricing is very competitive too. But if that Cora makes your heart sing...Can’t wait to see what you decide to go with! Your stone is beautiful!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The only ring I'm not a super big fan of, even though its Gorgeous, for practicality reason is this:
upload_2019-4-10_11-23-18.png
any parts that I circled red, I would feel that its too easy to snag on things, get caught like floss and then either damage the setting or your clothingo_O yeah, I think of all these things in a ring, but its gorgeous. Just for me, I don't like to baby my ring too much, even though subconsciously I probably do.

Morenita21

Brilliant_Rock
:kiss2:I love the emerald cuts around the diamond!!!

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Sincityfinds made my emerald and OEC eternity band. I love it, the emeralds are beautiful! I’m sure she doesn’t use DK’s bench however. You will be very happy with the quality of the emeralds and overall ring, her pricing is very competitive too. But if that Cora makes your heart sing...Can’t wait to see what you decide to go with! Your stone is beautiful!

Thanks! I have a setting made by Diana with calibre sapphires. It's nice quality. She's sold a ton of my stuff on consignment too- :lol: I don't have any emeralds from her though, so I'm glad you like yours. I'm now looking at some other photos on Victor Barbone too to see some ideas.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
The only ring I'm not a super big fan of, even though its Gorgeous, for practicality reason is this:
upload_2019-4-10_11-23-18.png
any parts that I circled red, I would feel that its too easy to snag on things, get caught like floss and then either damage the setting or your clothingo_O yeah, I think of all these things in a ring, but its gorgeous. Just for me, I don't like to baby my ring too much, even though subconsciously I probably do.

I can absolutely see that- and it's a good point- I wouldn't want to damage the setting or pull tiny stones loose. I don't know if she'd be willing to modify the design though to close up the curls, though or if she'd be offended... I also wonder if it's not a bit too similar to this ring, which is my avatar. If it is, that would explain why I really like the Cora.

IMG_20180419_182722__39066.1524363498.450.450.jpg

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh yeah I see the similarities... beautiful!
All of my rings have familiar vibe. I look at my bands and they all “feel” the same but still different

elizat

Ideal_Rock
@molecule thanks! It's a pretty setting. I was looking at a halo of some kind. I have had solitaire settings before and they don't feel right for me. I think they are very classic on others, but I think my hand looks funny with one. :confused:

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I reached out to Caysie to inquire about the Cora. It's really grabbing me. I will see what the quote is and if the bottom curling things can be capped off.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I hope it works out Elizat! I love that setting too. I'm sure it can be customized however you like.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I hope it works out Elizat! I love that setting too. I'm sure it can be customized however you like.
Thank you! She actually emailed a profile of the prongs that looked really delicate. They look more substantial from the side.

I think I'm going to have some antiquing on the curls of the setting and it will be 18 kt yellow. I think that looks best in this setting.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love the look of antiquing, I am having it done on the yellow gold/engraved parts of my ring, too.

I assume you can see my avatar -- the prongs on my ring are very delicate as well and look to be about the same size as the ones on the ring you are hoping to have made (though mine are not as perfect under macro photography). In person, I cannot even see the prongs at all! That is how tiny they are. And I am sure it is the same for the ring you like, too.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
A296B299-AD65-4BAE-A8B2-C37F2203382B.jpeg

These are my nicer rings on one hand. And a reminder of why I don’t need to buy more...

... I also wonder if it's not a bit too similar to this ring, which is my avatar. If it is, that would explain why I really like the Cora.

IMG_20180419_182722__39066.1524363498.450.450.jpg

I was looking through the "all your rings on one hand" thread and noticed your collection again :kiss2:... looking at your whole collection, I really think there is ample room for another yellow gold ring! I would not worry at all about the shared elements in common with your wreath ring. After all, you have a number of platinum filigree rings and its still easy to appreciate each of those pieces for their unique characteristics!

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I got the renders in for the ring and I'm not changing anything on it. I really like the setting as is. I just want some antique-ing on the swirls. I think that will look nice.

Sharing because I think it's going to look pretty!

Image-170.jpg

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous, it will go beautifully with the rest of your amazing collection, very different from your pear ring (I have a sister ring with a blue sapphire btw, love that design!). I think the other ring you were considering had more of a similar look.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
@meely do you have your ring posted somewhere? Would love to see it!

Thanks for the kind words too- I’m excited about this project. But then I’m done for a good bit!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results