shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with gemstones

thirdrock

Shiny_Rock
I’m looking for a 9mm round stone to go in a setting I have. A gemologist has ordered some in for me to look at. So far, the photos on some of the stones do not look good to me. Also, the prices seem high for the quality. I haven’t seen them in person yet, but I thought I’d run in by here.

Lotus garnet $2,650
upload_2019-4-8_17-35-44.png

Gray Spinel $2,650
upload_2019-4-8_17-36-23.png

Tourmaline $1,350
upload_2019-4-8_17-37-8.png
The garnet and spinel are around 3.25ct. I’m not sure about the tourmaline.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know enough to tell you if those particular stones are worth the $ but I do think you can get something beautiful in a 9mm round for a lot less. People here could probably point you to some options. Are you tied to working with that gemologist? Do you have a color or material preference?

MissyBeaucoup

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Those stones aren’t singing to me either. What are you looking for—bright, neon, sunset, neutral, dark, pastel? Do you have a budget?

thirdrock

Shiny_Rock
I’m not tied to working with the gemologist.

I was looking for a yellow sapphire for the setting for over 3 years. I ended up purchasing a yellow sapphire ring so now I need to figure out what else would look good in the setting.

The setting was given to me by my mother. The diamond she had in it was larger than the CZ that is currently in it. However, the 9mm CZ is probably the right size for the setting. I originally purchased the yellow sapphire ring with the intent of putting the stone in this setting. Even though the sapphire is about the size of the diamond that was in the setting previously, the jeweler thought that it would be too risky to mess with the invisible set setting. It’s just as well, because I’ve grown to love the sapphire as is. I haven’t really worn this ring yet, because I’m not sure I’m comfortable with a CZ this size. I do sometimes wear a smaller one when I travel. I don’t know if I should just get over it and wear the ring as is or find something else for it. I think I want to spend too much since I just purchased the sapphire ring. Although, I don’t have a strict budget.

upload_2019-4-8_19-12-47.png

thirdrock

Shiny_Rock
…and thanks everyone for the help. I’m open to ideas of what would look good in the setting.

strawrose

Brilliant_Rock
Is 2500 your budget? Do you like blues, greens, reds, or other colors?

thirdrock

Shiny_Rock
I like shades of blue and aqua but I think that might limit what I can wear the ring with. Although, those are the colors I wear the most. Green might be nice. I don’t wear a lot of red. I’ll spend $2,500 if it’s something nice. I wouldn’t mind finding something for less either.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gary at Finewater cut my sapphire that is in my pic here.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I would look through acstones, you have to keep an eye on the new items page as the stuff there sells quickly. But you will find nicer tourmalines and garnets than the ones you are currently being offered for a lot less (like 1/10th the price).

thirdrock

Shiny_Rock
Sorry it took so long for me to respond.

https://www.finewatergems.com/store/p477/5.52_ct_Blue_Zircon.html

If I were you I'd grab this blue zircon to fit your setting.

Thanks for the suggestion.
This was a stone that I had been considering. I was leaving town and didn’t have time to have it shipped before I left. I ended up ordering when I was away and the stone arrived today.

Gary at Finewater cut my sapphire that is in my pic here.

Your sapphire is beautiful!

This would be amazing!!!!

Thank you. I did end up ordering it.

I would look through acstones, you have to keep an eye on the new items page as the stuff there sells quickly. But you will find nicer tourmalines and garnets than the ones you are currently being offered for a lot less (like 1/10th the price).

Thank you for the suggestion. I agree, what was being shown to me was way overpriced.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry if I missed anything above, but what kind of gem is it, and do you mind sharing the vendor?

Is that the Finewater zircon?

If so, it’s much darker and less blue than his photos? Who’s photos are more accurate?

If you do end up keeping it, please get a jeweler that knows how to deal with softer gems. Zircon easily gets facet abrasions. I also hope the stone is not too deep for your setting.

Last edited:

voce

Ideal_Rock
Can you show it to us in direct sunlight? What do your eyes see? Is it closer to your pictures or closer to Gary's pictures? Your photos make the stone look blue-green while it looks a purer blue in his.

Reactions: T L

thirdrock

Shiny_Rock
My eyes see more blue but I was expecting more sparkle. I’m unsure if the cut is perfectly round. The last pic was taken outside but I can see there was some shadow. Here are some more. The last one of this set also shows the stone in shadow. I think the stone looks much nicer in these photos than the first set.

upload_2019-4-22_15-52-7.png
upload_2019-4-22_15-52-23.png
upload_2019-4-22_15-52-38.png

upload_2019-4-22_15-53-48.png

thirdrock

Shiny_Rock
Here's one more.
upload_2019-4-22_15-57-5.png

voce

Ideal_Rock
I like the third photo in the second set and the last photo you posted. It definitely pops a lot more against the setting than the CZ, but you have to decide whether you like it enough for the price to be worth it. It's really hard to judge the sparkle from still photos.

It really depends on how you feel about natural stones vs synthetic stones. Because if you just want a good blue without regard to natural or synthetic, there's the YAG route. For example, the round in this listing would probably fit your setting, too.

thirdrock

Shiny_Rock
Sorry if I missed anything above, but what kind of gem is it, and do you mind sharing the vendor?

Is that the Finewater zircon?

If so, it’s much darker and less blue than his photos? Who’s photos are more accurate?

If you do end up keeping it, please get a jeweler that knows how to deal with softer gems. Zircon easily gets facet abrasions. I also hope the stone is not too deep for your setting.

Sorry, I didn’t see this post. Yes, it is the Finewater blue zircon. I don’t think it’s too deep.
I do worry about the durability of zircon though.

Last edited:

thirdrock

Shiny_Rock
I like the third photo in the second set and the last photo you posted. It definitely pops a lot more against the setting than the CZ, but you have to decide whether you like it enough for the price to be worth it. It's really hard to judge the sparkle from still photos.

It really depends on how you feel about natural stones vs synthetic stones. Because if you just want a good blue without regard to natural or synthetic, there's the YAG route. For example, the round in this listing would probably fit your setting, too.

That YAG is beautiful, but it appears to have sold.

voce

Ideal_Rock
I assume you have contacted the seller? They should remove or change the listing if that has sold.

thirdrock

Shiny_Rock
I assume you have contacted the seller? They should remove or change the listing if that has sold.
The listing stated that the YAG had sold. They were still selling the emerald.

voce

Ideal_Rock
Wow, it definitely didn't say that for me 20 min ago when I had copied the link.

thirdrock

Shiny_Rock
Here's a couple more indoor shots.
upload_2019-4-22_16-29-24.png
upload_2019-4-22_16-29-36.png

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the color of that zircon, but I realize it would't appeal to everyone!

voce

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, I didn't know that it was a color shifter, but I tend to like color shifting stones unless they get too dark. I'm still convinced that this zircon looks better in hand than the other ones you had initially considered.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks teal to me.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results