shape
carat
color
clarity

Time to get a mattress, what do you recommend and what do you NOT recommend

tkyasx78

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It is time to replace our old mattress ( had over 10 years and the pillow in the pillow top is not comfortable)

I went to the purple show room and tried the different mattresses. The purple 4 seems to be ok, but I don't have any clue as to what other mattresses are worth sleeping on comfortably.

DH and I are both tall- ish ( both over 5'10) and we need a mattress that will work for a person who is about 150 and 200 ish lbs. Both of us are side sleepers if that matters.
Does anyone have a mattress that is worth its weight?
I don't want to spend more than 5K-6K for the frame and mattress but cost up to that isn't a main concern. We just want a comfortable bed that won't have issues.

LittleRed

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I’m not sure if this is what you’re looking for, but we have a Savvy Rest organic mattress and love it. It should last a good 20 years.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, we have a Sleep number too. Best bed because Hubby likes his side firmer than I do. It’s a King Size one. Sure they are just glorified air mattresses (they have air bladders not springs) but there’s no obvious difference to the two “halves” when laying on top (like there’s no seam or split in the middle of the mattress). I put a mattress cloud fluffy thingo over the top, acts like a mattress protector too, because I like lots of softness ontop. They have a 10 year guarantee I think, we’ve had ours about 10 years no problems.

BMI

Shiny_Rock
Another recommendation for the Sleep Number bed.
We've had one for 19 years now and can't imagine ever buying any other kind of mattress. During the life of our mattress we have replaced the topper and one piece of inside foam which I think cost a couple hundred dollars if I remember correctly. (It was probably 12-15 years old at the time.) When we bought the bed back in 2000 my sleep number was 45. Several years later I suffered a bad back injury and had to raise my sleep number to 50-60. This past year after an issue with my neck I no longer sleep with a head pillow and my side of the bed is now set at 80 (out of 100) while my husband's side is set at 45. We would have to sleep in separate beds if we did not have a sleep number mattress, and as a matter of fact I was sleeping on a futon mattress in the family room before we bought this bed all those years ago. It's the only bed I know of that can be made firmer the older it gets and can be adjusted daily to whatever feels best at the time! Another plus is that they are lightweight and easier to lift when changing the sheets.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you tried both sprung and 100% memory foam mattresses?

I'm not sure I'd like a completely-memory-foam mattress, no matter what Serena Williams advertises over here :lol: as I like some 'bounce back' to help my aging, creaking shell to get out of bed, lol.

Our current mattress has a high-spring-count (2200 IIRC?) with a good layer of memory foam as part of the top layer. It's firm yet soft, and helped me sleep a lot better. It's about 10 years old now so does really need replacing, as it's getting soft spots and dips where the good lady likes to sit on it and put all her weight in one spot (remind me what chairs are for again? :rolleyes:) but it's still doing alright.

I might actually try a memory foam mattress next time, but they do retain a lot of heat AIUI, which might make it a No Go if one lives in a hot climate and doesn't have / doesn't want to run air conditioning all night.

jaaron

Brilliant_Rock

I'm not sure I'd like a completely-memory-foam mattress, no matter what Serena Williams advertises over here :lol: as I like some 'bounce back' to help my aging, creaking shell to get out of bed, lol.

Our current mattress has a high-spring-count (2200 IIRC?) with a good layer of memory foam as part of the top layer. It's firm yet soft, and helped me sleep a lot better. It's about 10 years old now so does really need replacing, as it's getting soft spots and dips where the good lady likes to sit on it and put all her weight in one spot (remind me what chairs are for again? :rolleyes:) but it's still doing alright.

I might actually try a memory foam mattress next time, but they do retain a lot of heat AIUI, which might make it a No Go if one lives in a hot climate and doesn't have / doesn't want to run air conditioning all night.

Sorry to t/j

I think you're in the UK OoohShiny? If so, I can't recommend this place highly enough (not paid to endorse or related to them in any way), but they make fantastic mattresses at really good prices. They're also really good at talking you through your wants/needs/requirements. I've bought all our mattresses from them and love them.

https://johnryanbydesign.co.uk/prod...YxGJcZnPerxwZVBirq9x6igP1AUuXTSsaAiK_EALw_wcB

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry to t/j

I think you're in the UK OoohShiny? If so, I can't recommend this place highly enough (not paid to endorse or related to them in any way), but they make fantastic mattresses at really good prices. They're also really good at talking you through your wants/needs/requirements. I've bought all our mattresses from them and love them.

https://johnryanbydesign.co.uk/product-category/mattresses/
Interesting, I've not heard of them, thanks for the link!

It looks like they do some nice stuff :) but then that is the aim of a vendor's website... lol

IIRC our current one is a Silentnight or maybe a Sleepeasy - either way, it was £800 and took about 6 months of testing various options out in shops to find it :D

I put mattresses in the same category as shoes, houses, mobile phones and cars - we spend barely any time testing them out properly, and half the time we can't test them at all, before we commit large sums of money to them! So annoying. lol

tkyasx78

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I haven’t tried many options yet, but it sounds like sleep number is a good start! There is a sleep number store/show room in a mall south of here, so this morning I will be heading there!

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got this rock hard mattress from Costco that had amazing reviews. Now that I’m in physical therapy for my back..LOL... I returned the thing. I just want to say that Costco’s return policy on mattresses is amazing.

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A few years back I researched sleep number beds. They had great reviews for comfort for the reasons listed above. There were some complaints about mold issues believed to be caused by perspiration being trapped between the sleeper and the air chamber. No idea if that is still a concern, but if you are allergy sensitive you may want to research and draw your own conclusion.

LinSF

Brilliant_Rock
I got this rock hard mattress from Costco that had amazing reviews. Now that I’m in physical therapy for my back..LOL... I returned the thing. I just want to say that Costco’s return policy on mattresses is amazing.

I have seen the nastiest mattresses returned to Costco, almost as if they thought they were renting furniture for free and returning when they moved. So gross!!! But yes, Costcos return policy is amazing! :lol:

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have seen the nastiest mattresses returned to Costco, almost as if they thought they were renting furniture for free and returning when they moved. So gross!!! But yes, Costcos return policy is amazing! :lol:
We had ours picked up. The guy was surprised at how new it looked. We kept one of those sealed covers on it. We only had it for a few months.

Edit to say: i would rather die than return a dirty mattress

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
I've had two Kingsdown mattresses over the past 25 years and never slept better on anything. I discovered them on a trip to Vegas. The hotel we were staying at had them and I must say, it was the BEST sleep I've ever gotten...I didn't want to leave the hotel room.

They are very firm and supportive, but then the top layer makes you feel as if you're laying on a cloud. It doesn't retain heat and I was using my first one in Miami, where everything retains heat. :cool2:

The downside is these mattresses are very heavy so as we get older, I see us giving it up for a Sleep Number. I am a firm believer in rotating mattresses and we turn ours religiously every 3 months. We also keep a cover on it to keep dust mites, moisture and staining off the mattress. This one is great because it protects the entire mattress and once you get it under the mattress, you can unzip just the top and wash it whenever you like: Malouf Sleep Tite Encase Bed Bug Proof Mattress Cover

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Every time I slept comfortably at an Airbnb, I'd ask what the mattress is, and I kept getting the same reply - zinus green tea...so I bought a 12" one.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium

We have a 100% Memory Foam. It is EXTREMELY comfortable & always a pleasure to get back into when we’ve stayed away anywhere. But... they definitely make you hot. If it was the kind of hot that led to a bit of bounce testing, that would be fine, but it’s not. It’s sticky hot. I’m almost 45 so it could be related :eek2:

tkyasx78

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ok, we have ordered a sleep number i8 with the feet warming base.
With base and taxes it was over 9k for the thing. :eek-2: While I would have no issue spending this much on a diamond , it still seems very expensive for a bed... I REALLY hope it works for us.

I wish they could deliver sooner too, we can’t get delivery until May 1st! :eek2:

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, we have ordered a sleep number i8 with the feet warming base.
With base and taxes it was over 9k for the thing. :eek-2: While I would have no issue spending this much on a diamond , it still seems very expensive for a bed... I REALLY hope it works for us.

I wish they could deliver sooner too, we can’t get delivery until May 1st! :eek2:
Nine grand on a bed and mattress?

That is slightly crazy... lol

We had ours picked up. The guy was surprised at how new it looked. We kept one of those sealed covers on it. We only had it for a few months.

Edit to say: i would rather die than return a dirty mattress
I have no idea what it is, but our new, crisp off-white mattress seemed to form very dubious brown staining all over it in about a week, even the sections we weren't sleeping on, for no apparent reason - it's like they build in some chemical that releases and makes it look like you've been living in a crack den and soiling yourself regularly, so you are too ashamed to return it! :???: :lol:

BMI

Shiny_Rock
Another recommendation for the Sleep Number bed. We've had one for 19 years now and can't imagine ever buying any other kind of mattress.
Ok, we have ordered a sleep number i8 with the feet warming base. With base and taxes it was over 9k for the thing. :eek-2:
If that's how much a sleep number bed costs these days then I can definitely start imagining myself buying some other kind of mattress! YIKES,!!! :eek2: I hope it works out well for you! I loved it from day one, but it took my husband a few weeks to get used to it and determine his correct setting.

tkyasx78

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I wanted to get the purple mattresses DH wanted the fancy sleep number bed.... Since he is paying the bills , he won. LOL

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
I wanted to get the purple mattresses DH wanted the fancy sleep number bed.... Since he is paying the bills , he won. LOL

I have an Original Purple mattress and I love it! My husband said it has been life-changing. The Purple 3 and 4 are very luxurious. They were out of my budget, but I would have loved one of those. The Original Purple is just fine for us, though.

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If the spring and the box spring or foundation are both good, you could try "mattress surgery" where you cut off the pillow top, and add one or more layers of, say, latex foam, on top. Deciding what stiffness and thickness of late topper(s) may be the difficult part, though. But there is some kind of zippered cover that people buy and encase their concoctions in. There's a lot of discussion on that in this forum, but admittedly much of it is a few years old new and pertains to the American "S brands", Sealy, Serta, Simmons.
https://www.whatsthebest-mattress.com/forum

If you live within driving distance of an Original Mattress Factory store, they have a variety of reasonably priced mattress, and many are traditional 2 sided ones that you can flip as well as rotate. Their Orthopedic Ultra Firm was always my pick, but now that I have some pressure point issues with hard mattresses, I might drop down to the 2nd most firm one.

There are smaller regional manufacturers that still make traditional 2 sided mattresses. But it can be difficult to locate them without a Thomas Register or something. I prefer inner spring mattresses. Coil spring with topper(s) customized to meet your needs seems to be sound advice, if you want to buy something that lasts a long time. The polyurethane foam used in most mattresses today is the part that breaks down very fast. And gets indentations in pillowtop and Eurotop mattresses. And there's not much way to avoid polyurethane other than reading and researching to find companies that specialize in using higher end foams like latex.

princessandthepear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
We have a latex mattress. There are no pressure points. It does not require flipping(it would be too heavy to flip). No dips or soft spots and the mattress is over ten years old. I do not notice it being too hot. When you lay upon it, you sink into it slightly as it conforms to your shape.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Our Saatva arrived two days ago. I really love it. Two nights of glorious sleep after that rock hard bed from costco.

I know...two nights isn’t enough to give a proper review, but this bed has great reviews on the internet. It also has a pretty good return policy. It’s reasonably priced. I thought I would mention it if you wanted to check it out.

LJsapphire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Sorry to t/j

https://johnryanbydesign.co.uk/prod...YxGJcZnPerxwZVBirq9x6igP1AUuXTSsaAiK_EALw_wcB

We've been looking at those too.
Desperately in need of a new mattress! Ours was a cheap Silentnight one that was on offer at Tesco. There were 2 offers and a discount code running at the same time, which I don't think they meant to happen - we got 2 whole beds for £230 and sold one!
It's only 4 years old* and we bought a mattress topper from Ikea to try and prolong it because while my fiancé isn't working we shouldn't really be spending large sums. But df isn't sleeping well so we should really do something about it. My back and hips have been hurting more than they should be, and I think it's to do with the bed. It has been better since we got the topper but still not ideal.

We were looking at the Origins pocket latex, he gets hot when he sleeps so he doesn't want memory foam. I'm a colder person (always got cold feet!) but I do notice feeling hotter in bed with the memory foam mattress topper.

*edited - could've sworn it was 8 years old but bought it in 2015. It was supposed to be £799 and it ended up costing £153. Glad we didn't spend full price for it to only last 4 years!!!

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Our Saatva arrived two days ago. I really love it. Two nights of glorious sleep after that rock hard bed from costco.

I know...two nights isn’t enough to give a proper review, but this bed has great reviews on the internet. It also has a pretty good return policy. It’s reasonably priced. I thought I would mention it if you wanted to check it out.

Just curious, which Costco bed was this? I want to know which to avoid.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium

tkyasx78

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I ordered a weighted blanket from sleep number when we ordered the bed and it came yesterday. Tried it last night but didn’t get much sleep due to a list of factors. ( heath issues and family staying at our home to begin with)
May first the sleep number should come I hope it will be what DH thinks it will do!

@House Cat I have heard great things about the saatva beds! I am glad the bed is working well ! If the sleep number doesn’t work out we will need to go back to the drawing board so to speak! It is good to know which ones are comfortable since all the beds start to feel ok after sitting on 10,000 of them !

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
Our mattress is, of all things, an inexpensive gel memory foam one from Amazon! We love it and it was around $400 for a King. Crazy. We are not elderly though, but my back is pretty shot after almost 20 years of falling off horses and getting back on and I’m comfortable.

My parents have gotten two more for their winter house now after my review. I’ve never felt I got the value out of a $$$ mattress.

LJsapphire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
We've just ordered a B grade (outlet/returned product) Artisan Natural mattress from John Ryan. Was going to wait until we moved house (which will hopefully be this summer, have been viewing and about to put ours on market) but I can't take the old one any more :wall:
So we ordered from the outlet to save a little money and so that it would arrive more quickly! :praise:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results