shape
carat
color
clarity

I’m trying to decide if I went with the right diamond

IolantheJane

Rough_Rock
I’ve put a down payment on a stone from Brilliant Earth, a 1.11c I color VVS1 super ideal round brilliant with a GCAL cert. of course, now that I’m purchasing it, I can’t see it anymore on the site and I’m starting to have doubts (although it was really sparkly with very symmetrical arrows when I could see it). Anyways, the measurements aren’t all within what I keep reading as “ideal”. Thoughts?

1.11 carat
I color VVS1
Excellent polish, excellent symmetry
HCA 1.2
Table: 59%
Depth: 59.6%
Crown angle: 33.5
Pavilion angle: 40.8
6.72-6.74x4.01 mm

https://image.brilliantearth.com/media/images/certificates/271090610.jpg (Image of the certification)

tigertales

Shiny_Rock
Hi Iolanthe ( from Gilbert and Sullivan?? :) )
I think your diamond looks beautiful from the numbers. Brilliant Earth will send you the link to the original photo.
Please post this beauty so we can see it!

IolantheJane

Rough_Rock
I’m just worried that it’ll be too shallow or spready (? difficulty articulating what it might be too much of) since the table is a little outside of what I typically see referred to in the “ideal ranges” and the crown angle is lower than the usual 34-35, and if I calculated the crown height percentage right (13.2%), that was considered not ideal in the AGS range. To sum it up, I am way over thinking this. But, are there any concerns you would note?

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looking at the numbers, I think it is a '60/60' stone (60% table / 60% depth), which if I understand it correctly, have more 'spread' and look bigger, but they tend to have more white light and less coloured 'fire'.

The crown angle being on the lower side will also reduce 'fire' somewhat, but it should be a bright stone that looks substantial on the finger :) and the HCA score <2 indicates the crown and pavilion angles will work together, which is a good thing.

Whether you prefer 60/60 or 'SuperIdeal' angles is entirely personal choice - you've seen it on the website and it's attracted you, so I think you should wait for it to arrive and then assess it in all the different lighting environments around your home (taking care not to drop it!) in order that you can confirm your initial thoughts or decide it's not for you.

The good thing about shopping with PS-recommended vendors is that if you find a stone is not to your taste, you can return it with minimal cost and hassle :)

IolantheJane

Rough_Rock
Thank you! I’ve started going down the 60/60 vs SuperIdeal rabbit hole here on PriceScope...it’s very entertaining, as well as informative.

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
I’ve put a down payment on a stone from Brilliant Earth, a 1.11c I color VVS1 super ideal round brilliant with a GCAL cert. of course, now that I’m purchasing it, I can’t see it anymore on the site and I’m starting to have doubts (although it was really sparkly with very symmetrical arrows when I could see it). Anyways, the measurements aren’t all within what I keep reading as “ideal”. Thoughts?

1.11 carat
I color VVS1
Excellent polish, excellent symmetry
HCA 1.2
Table: 59%
Depth: 59.6%
Crown angle: 33.5
Pavilion angle: 40.8
6.72-6.74x4.01 mm

https://image.brilliantearth.com/media/images/certificates/271090610.jpg (Image of the certification)

I don’t think this can be considered a “super ideal” and it is a 60/60 style, but the angles can work .. don’t really like the shallowness of the crown. The biggest risk is light leakage under the table ... can you get an ASET image? This one might be ok but I bet you can do better.

IolantheJane

Rough_Rock
FA8F0DC9-4040-4B28-918C-69D40AAE1056.jpeg 8D4D494B-6469-4648-B820-D2B3E70F3E21.jpeg 36A05F87-EBCA-4E1D-A0AA-A28AD2B3F121.jpeg It’s here! And I got an ASET for home use. Here are the ASETs...I really am unsure about it (and my technique).

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good work on the ASET! They are hard to capture images of!

I think it looks fine in the ASET - the first one looks light under the table but I think it's just that the backlight is a bit bright :)

Good pictures and video too! They are so hard to photograph well :( lol

What are your thoughts on it? It seems to perform very well in the video :)

IolantheJane

Rough_Rock
Thank you! My boyfriend (soon to be fiancé) is an optics and imaging nerd, so he has back lights and microscopes galore. I spent most of the evening ogling the stone and taking an obscene amount of pictures of it. Now that I have it in my hands, I’m falling in love with it. I’ll see how I feel in the daylight, but I think it’s going to be a keeper.

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you! My boyfriend (soon to be fiancé) is an optics and imaging nerd, so he has back lights and microscopes galore. I spent most of the evening ogling the stone and taking an obscene amount of pictures of it. Now that I have it in my hands, I’m falling in love with it. I’ll see how I feel in the daylight, but I think it’s going to be a keeper.

Yup yup and yup. I think the ASET looks great and so do the pictures!

Congrats & I hope you enjoy your new diamond for many happy years!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium

SandyK

Brilliant_Rock
Looks so beautiful @lolantheJane !! Congratulations! I love seeing well cut lab diamonds - I am definitely leaning that way for pair of blingy studs one day!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful! It looks great! Lovely setting too!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results