shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on Ashoka

AshokaR

Rough_Rock
For those of you who have had the chance to see an Ashoka in a halo setting:

Did you find that the Ashoka cut makes the stone look much larger compared to other emeralds or other diamonds? The cut is quite striking.

Do you find Ashokas to be "less flashy" or more subtle?
In general I like emeralds because they seem less "blingy" but they are still gorgeous!

I have found a 1.6 (center stone) Ashoka I love that is set in a classic halo.
However, I am a teacher and in general my friends don't have rings that size.
The area in which I live many women do have large rings (2ct is not uncommon).

I love the ring but I feel embarrassed by the size of it. Maybe I should get something slightly smaller. I'm also not used to wearing any jewelry at all (except earrings) so this might be why I am having a difficult time with the size.

My fingers are a size 6.5 so it looks like a great size center stone for me. The first time I tried on the ring I thought it was perfect (lovely, but not "too much"). The second time I tried it on it made me slightly more nervous (thinking it was "over the top"). Partially this might be due to my immediate friend group, work, etc. etc. I have also considered only wearing it certain places and not others.

My dream ring is a beautiful and elegant ring but not one that immediately looks like it was quite an expense. I thought Ashokas could achieve that...

Last edited:

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you show us a pic?
I know what you mean about being a teacher. I am the only teacher who rocks a 2.52 and I do get a lot of comments but mostly good ones! Wear what you love!!

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you feel it is the Ashoka or the halo that tests your comfort level? Might it be ‘toned down’ more to your comfort if it were not in a halo, but set more simply such as in a simple solitaire? Once you grow comfortable with the stone, you could always put it back in the halo assuming you keep the setting) in the event DSS sets in. ;)2

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I recently acquired a smaller Ashoka diamond in a halo. I do think that the cut is lovely and I consider it understated compared to my MRB. I also find it very different compared to an Emerald cut. You wouldn’t have to disclose the exact ctw to family and friends, so I wouldn’t necessarily think if it would appear larger or smaller compared to other diamonds cuts.

I also tried a bunch of Ashoka rings in a Kwiat store not too long ago. A halo setting will add quite a bit of presence compared to a solitaire version but I find that a halo really compliments the Ashoka cut.

I am originally from Europe so I completely understand how large rings can make one feel uncomfortable as I think that large diamonds are still not the norm. Nonetheless, I would advice you to get what you really want as you will be the one wearing and enjoying the ring.

The ring I acquired - 0.6ct Ashoka center stone, size 5.5
07DE266B-D7EB-467C-A298-C6DB6BE58CB1.jpeg

Some other Ashoka rings:
0.9 center
25D56A0A-D5AC-4E95-A2E9-B9374740BEE2.jpeg
Around 1ct center stone
2CD6EC45-384B-42F9-A208-324CDE978069.jpeg
Around 1.5ct center stone
9E81D2A0-355B-47F3-98C0-24DDB1575DD0.jpeg
2ct center stone
69DD1A6F-50B6-4FE9-BAB3-B324180F3EF7.jpeg

Attachments

• 7EF38A71-63B2-4F59-BF62-DC9B58D28101.jpeg
    7EF38A71-63B2-4F59-BF62-DC9B58D28101.jpeg
    63.5 KB · Views: 27

princessandthepear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have a 0.51 ct Ashoka solitaire. The Ashoka is more lively than my 0.5 ct emerald cut. It is a different look. More like a modified cushion cut which it is more closely related to. A halo would be a lovely complement to the center stone.
If you love the ring then wear it and enjoy it. Your social circle's ring sizes may change as people get married, upgrade or divorce. Remember that looking at a diamond 8 inches from your face is completely different than arm's length or across the room. You probably notice it much more than others.

aac2013

Shiny_Rock
I love the Ashoka cut. I have tried on quite a few Ashokas. Finks can get them in the US but most of the time they don't have one on display. My personal favorite was a 3 stone (posted, not mine though) but I thought the halos were lovely as well. I say do what makes you happy. The size you noted will be sizable enough to have presence but not so big that it is in your face. Plus you will have a very special cut.

20160403_153127.jpg

AshokaR

Rough_Rock
20181116_133513.jpg
Thank you so much for your comments. I do love the ring so much. My husband encouraged me to "get what you love, because this is your last engagement ring." :D

I will look at options with and without the halo. The halo increases the surface area making the ring look much larger than it is. In general I think 1.6 solitaires are not too "flashy" and is a nice size (although I do think still quite sizable).

However, I love the halo and think it adds a level of elegance and plays off the facets of the ring.

I attached a photo of the one I am considering. I would love all opinions on the ring and how it looks on my finger. I am striving for something unique and lovely but not something is immediately noticeable to takes up too much presence.

Last edited:

AshokaR

Rough_Rock
Do you feel it is the Ashoka or the halo that tests your comfort level? Might it be ‘toned down’ more to your comfort if it were not in a halo, but set more simply such as in a simple solitaire? Once you grow comfortable with the stone, you could always put it back in the halo assuming you keep the setting) in the event DSS sets in. ;)2

I think you are right about this. It is the setting (halo) that makes it look significantly larger. My husband did mention "this is the only ring so get what you love and think you will want to grow into for many years."

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it looks substantial but not over the top or showy. And quietly elegant. If it makes your heart flutter, get it and damn anyone else’s opinions whether you’re a teacher or not. You’re still allowed nice things.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it looks substantial but not over the top or showy. And quietly elegant. If it makes your heart flutter, get it and damn anyone else’s opinions whether you’re a teacher or not. You’re still allowed nice things.
+1!! Absolutely agree, 100%!!!
This ring gets an A+ from me! It’s perfect on your finger!!
Pull the trigger & enjoy it!!! :kiss2:

AshokaR

Rough_Rock
@AshokaR the ring looks beautiful on you! As others have said - it it substantial without being over the top large. I say follow your heart and get what you truly desire.
Thank you! One thing to consider is hand size. I'm 5'6 and don't have petite fingers. I'm not really a petite person. When I try on 1 Ct rings they look much smaller on me than many of my friends who have a 1 ct solitaire. I think hand/ring size is an important consideration when shopping for a ring (but I am sure everyone here already came to that realization).

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you love the halo, go for it! It'll add a different kind of light play to the ring vs just the solitaire. It looks right at home on your hand =)

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Time’s a-wastin’ girl! Give your hubs a big kiss and get that gorgeous ring and enjoy every second wearing it! I don’t see the sense in denying yourself based on other’s judgement. Give yourself permission to enjoy!
And come back with a lot more pics please! :love:

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
+1!! Absolutely agree, 100%!!!
This ring gets an A+ from me! It’s perfect on your finger!!
Pull the trigger & enjoy it!!! :kiss2:
I agree with @Matthews1127 and @Bonfire, it looks perfect and elegant on your finger without being ostentatious or overdone...and there is nothing wrong with being ostentatious either BTW if that is your taste!!!

Personally, I really care very little what others may or may not think as they don't pay my rent. You only live once so wear what will make your heart happy every time you see it, that's what it's for. :love:

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it looks perfect on your your finger, not too big or flashy at all.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the ring on your finger! It's gorgeous, and I DO love a halo on that cut. It makes a frame for it and enhances it, in my opinion.

I 100% can relate to your dilemma. I am retired now, but my upgrading hobby began while I was still teaching! Yes, I was and still am a little hesitant to wear my over 2 ct diamonds some places. Obviously my friends have gotten used to them now, but honestly, no one ever said a word to me! I was very glad, actually! A few extended family members noticed and said something, but once I got past that, I didn't care if I wore it or not. I will say that I now have more than one diamond ring, and I only wear the same one around extended family. :lol: I keep my little hobby to myself as much as possible, except on PS!

I have seen an Ashoka before and think they are very pretty! I certainly don't think they are too blingy, but that part depends more on the setting. My advice is to get what you love. You'll adjust to the size and most people around you won't notice, and the ones that do may ask you about it once, and then you'll be past all that!

Last edited:

737liz

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It looks to be the perfect size. Go for it! Something I noticed in the UK is places tend to encourage you to get rings sized rather tight. Be sure it is sized comfortably; thus ensuring it is the right size in both senses of the word!

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Get what you want. Don't let others make you feel uncomfortable about size. Get what makes you happy and enjoy it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results