shape
carat
color
clarity

Grandmothers ring

Christiepx3

Rough_Rock
50AEF5F0-CB85-4E6A-B8D5-EC2C3E657C2F.jpeg 038B8D27-155B-4338-9E6B-B612C930D287.jpeg 449D2277-52AA-498E-980C-8BE5D7D22DDC.jpeg 20352E09-E88B-4731-A209-E3651131A12F.jpeg I recently was given this ring by my father. He said it was his mothers and I know absolutely nothing about it because she has passed away. There’s a center ring that separates from the ring jacket. It is gigantic and I have never seen anything like it before does anyone have any information on this type of ring?

I should mention that when I received it it had been soldered together and I brought it to a jeweler to have it separated. Sometimes I like to wear the center ring without the jacket because it is so flashy. He did say the Centerstone was 1.1 carat and set in 18k gold.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a lovely treasure! Would love to see more close up pictures of the solitaire & it’s setting if that’s ok? It looks to be an old cut diamond, but hard to tell as the picture is a little blurry. People will be able to give you more details if they can see a little more.

But regardless, it’s a very beautiful ring! The guard looks to be later than the central solitaire, but wowzers!!

caolsen

Brilliant_Rock
It’s lovely. My grandmother had a similar ring ‘jacket’ for her engagement ring. Added size and coverage so she could wear it as a cocktail/dinner ring. I don’t know if they were super common, but I know her’s wasn’t a one off.

Those Marquise cuts are just precious - wear with pride. Your Gran has great taste.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovely treasure! The center stone looks beautiful, if you could post more face-up photos, that would be great!

The ring guard is not with marquise cuts but rather rounds stones in a marquise shape, still lovely. If the ring guard is not your thing, you can always repurpose the stones into something else that you will wear and enjoy more :)

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Make sure it is super clean when you take new pictures (dawn, warm water and soft toothbrush). Its really difficult to see the faceting pattern
on the photos you've posted so far.

What a nice piece to have to remember your Grandmother.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
amazing ring!

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They are exquisite:appl:

LinSF

Brilliant_Rock
You're a lucky girl! How beautiful that is, very ornate and perfect for when you want to feel fancy! I would wear it with an immense amount of pride if my grand was so awesome to gave passed down something like that.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Give them a bath!!

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovely! I have my grandmother's ring also - love having it to remember her. Family pieces are so special :love:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful! I especially love the engagement ring. You were smart to separate them!

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a beautiful heirloom and how lovely of your father to pass it on to you!

I wonder if it may be worthwhile to send it to one of our fabulously knowledgeable and reputable independent appraisers (Dave Atlas or Neil Beaty or one of the other appraisers listed in the RESOURCES/Find A Local Appraiser tab above)? They would be able to provide you with the specifications of the ring but also more information as to era etc.

In any case, it is an amazing ring and I hope you wear it every change you get!

tkyasx78

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It is beautiful! Enjoy that family treasure!:appl:

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful. The “ring guard” with an overload of diamonds was popular in the 60s and 70s. If you don’t think you’ll be wearing the outer rings, I think they could, as set, be transformed to cluster style earrings by adding a post to one end.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So lovely! What a wonderful gift to wear and enjoy and at the same time honor your dear grandmother's memory. :love:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results