shape
carat
color
clarity

Any DBTY styles or makers less flip prone?

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I’m craving a DBTY bad, but I know these suckers flip. Is there any way to improve flipping? Smaller stones? Heavier chain? Any makers like WF or BG tend to perform better on this metric?

Thanks!

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
@MissStepcut I'm in the final throes of this myself, I wanted a DBTY very badly and chased them down for over a year. But the three problems I encountered were that, 1: I couldn't find one that had high quality cut and clarity stones in a size I wanted, 2: that didn't look like a cookie cutter DBTY like everyone else has, and 3: that had stones that weren't bezeled.

The one DBTY type necklace I found that I think wouldn't flip as much has the stones attached as danglies. This one is on eBay and has been up for the greater part of a year because (I'm guessing here) that it is overpriced for what it is, and the stones are inconsistent in cut and clarity.

s-l1600.jpg

I ended up choosing to create my own station type necklace as I couldn't find what I wanted on the market. On my initial ideas thread on the subject, the concept of the weight of the setting was brought up as having an effect on flipping, in addition to how it is set on the necklace.

Reactions: AV_

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you are talking about classic Tiffany inspired DBTY necklaces, they all will flip. But what I will tell you is that unless you make one with huge stones, you really can't tell if they are right side up or not. That's the beauty of them! I have two necklaces, one with 7 pointers and one with 14 pointers, and there is no problem with the way they look. I have a bracelet with 15 pointers, and naturally those will flip even more as a bracelet will move a lot. But again, the stones are small and they look fine either way. All mine are from Whiteflash and very well made in platinum. I love the style because you can layer them with another necklace, wear alone, or use as a pendant chain (which is what I have done with the smallest one).

I sadly do not have any good pictures, but here is one with my 36" long one doubled. As you can see, you can't tell which are crown up or pavilion up unless you get very close! They all will reflect light when they are exposed to a light source.

WF.DBTY5.jpg

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had one and it drove me crazy. It was never “right side up”. Grrr. I sold it and bought a tennis necklace that wasn’t supposed to flip, but it still did. So I attached a pendant - bingo, no more flipping and I’m very happy.

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Okay thanks guys. Sounds like I should get a pendant in terms of bang for buck. Especially given diamondseeker’s point about it not really mattering for stones is this size (I was admiring that 2 cttw one currently listed on Loupe Troop).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results