shape
carat
color
clarity

Help evaluating with ruby ring or loose ruby/spinel ?

PriscaSinclair

Rough_Rock
I’m not saying this because I think the stone will look like this, but if it looks and acts like a garnet when you get it, then get a garnet, especially since you said you like raspberry color. Gary also carries beautiful garnets.

Right I was thinking the same thing! And garnets are cheaper too. Today in the city I went to an independent jeweler and they had 1 Rhodolite garnet that I looked at which was ok but really pricey and not the exact color of some of the nice ones I have seen on here. Ive never seen many of these stones in real life. The sales lady was really into spinels and collects grey ones she said so I also showed her both the red and the pinky red spinel stones pictures to get her opinion. And she said seriously for stones of THAT nice quality now you are just splitting hairs and it doesn't even matter just pick the color that speaks to you because they are both of such fine quality. I thought for sure she would pick the red since those are the most popular (AND originally what I was looking for!)
Question for you @T L and of course anyone but how come that spinel you posted for us to look at on instagram isn't called a Jedi spinel? It looks REALLY neon pink to me and I thought that was part of why they were Jedi's. Here it is again. I was trying to figure it out because it really is pretty.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BsvUodaBZ6r/?igshid=1q9jn69qwm2lg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Like with any gem, there are fine qualities and meh qualities. The same thing goes for raspberry rhodolite. There’s a particularly fine rhodolite from the Umba Valley, called “unbalite.” LD is a pricescoper with the taste of Elizabeth Taylor and a world class collection. She adored this stone enough to give it a beautiful home. I’m not saying it will be easy to find such a garnet, but if you can’t find a spinel you love, I think this is a worthy option for your budget, and size constraints, especially if you love raspberry.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/umbalite-garnet-in-new-home.149289/

Your link shows a motorcycle looking car.

ETA: found the spinel you’re talking about. I will respond.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
26ED4DCE-337B-4B59-9AE4-AC5AC045CB14.jpeg
The reason that isn’t a Jedi spinel is because it’s not saturated enough. One needs to really understand the nuances of tone and saturation when understanding gen color. It’s a lovely gem, but the color doesn’t scream “red!!!” It has some “modifiers” (another gemological term) that take away from its saturation (vividness of color).

Take a look at the gem that Voce posted that I said looked like a maraschino cherry. If you ever saw a maraschino cherry on a sundae, it’s artificially dyed in color because the color is so intense. A super vivid colored gem almost looks fake in color because the color is so intense, it’s almost unreal.

Does the instagram gem look like a maraschino cherry to you? Probably not, because there is a slight brown modifier that takes away from the saturation. Grey is the modifier for cool colored stones like blue sapphires. You’ll often hear people in this forum say, “that stone is too brown, or too gray.” That’s often not a good thing, although some people don’t mind a modifier as it keeps cost down, and very few people can afford only vivid gems. “Vivid” saturation is the GIA terminology for a stone that lacks a modifier and isn’t overly saturated (too dark in tone). It’s the perfect color for that gem.

Jedi spinels are vivid gems.

Last edited:

PriscaSinclair

Rough_Rock
@T L Ok I DO see the difference with the bowl of cherries compared to the pretty spinel on instagram!!! Of course the spinel is gorgeous and sparkly when it moves but its not all one bright color fully like the cherries. That must be the saturation they mean? I thought Jedi's had to kind of glow...and they also had be a the right shade of color, but they also need to be saturated too I guess.

I noticed that the video you posted a while back explaining stop light red all of those I think were Jedi spinels and to my (completely ignorant and untrained eye) they looked solid colored. (Saturation?) Which of course was kind of cool but I dont see many spinels for sale like that.
Thank you for re explaining that to me I was trying to figure out what I was missing !

** and boy thats a nice ring that LD has that ubalite?? I can't believe thats a garnet and what a great setting!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@T L Ok I DO see the difference with the bowl of cherries compared to the pretty spinel on instagram!!! Of course the spinel is gorgeous and sparkly when it moves but its not all one bright color fully like the cherries. That must be the saturation they mean? I thought Jedi's had to kind of glow...and they also had be a the right shade of color, but they also need to be saturated too I guess.

I noticed that the video you posted a while back explaining stop light red all of those I think were Jedi spinels and to my (completely ignorant and untrained eye) they looked solid colored. (Saturation?) Which of course was kind of cool but I dont see many spinels for sale like that.
Thank you for re explaining that to me I was trying to figure out what I was missing !

** and boy thats a nice ring that LD has that ubalite?? I can't believe thats a garnet and what a great setting!

Well, it’s not just more solid color, although fine microscopic silk inclusions reduce extinction (extra darkness in faceted gems). For example, kashmir sapphires are famed for their silk which gives their vivid blue color a more saturated glow. Strong UV fluorescence in the sun also reduces extinction in sunlight. I found a ruby in a gorgeous setting on Instagram. It’s a large unheated ruby, but the color is so dark in tone, and so brownish, it looks like an average garnet. It does take a lot of experience and viewing of gems to understand what makes a gem top color. You should have seen the gems I bought when I first started collecting. You would think I loved charcoal:sick::lol:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BwYwriQFFLO/?igshid=1wx070hc03fs4

PriscaSinclair

Rough_Rock
It does take a lot of experience and viewing of gems to understand what makes a gem top color. You should have seen the gems I bought when I first started collecting. You would think I loved charcoal:sick::lol:

UR hilarious! Well I was starting to think maybe I just have bad taste in gems in general. Because I keep picking these stones that other people don't pick! Maybe when you're new you just have to buy some charcoal (which doesn't seem like charcoal at the time) to look at until you learn what to really buy.
Can you believe that RUBY? I agree sooo dark yikes! But still it must be super rare since its HUGE and untreated. But the setting wow ....I can't even imagine how much a setting like that would cost!

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you! Funny how some colors just 'call' to you and this seemed soothing to me to look at for some reason. Plus then hubby said "oh you have a sweater that color and that color looks great on you."
Thats all it took. SOLD!
Now if it could only make me look 10 lbs lighter :)

@alene I dont know if this stone is on Instagram, but I do have a pic of its fluorescence but not in the sunlight I guess its just with a black light?

Screen Shot 2019-04-19 at 6.16.33 PM.png
Yep, that’s the one on IG! Is it the one you’re getting? So cool-looking!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lol, I don’t care how huge that ruby is. The thing about vivid gems is that a sub carat stone like Voce has would be noticed across a room, whereas that “ruby” wouldn’t be noticed if it was in your lap. The setting overwhelms it.

PriscaSinclair

Rough_Rock
lol, I don’t care how huge that ruby is. The thing about vivid gems is that a sub carat stone like Voce has would be noticed across a room, whereas that “ruby” wouldn’t be noticed if it was in your lap.
@T L you certainly have a valid point there lol! @voce your Jedi spinel is very cool I must admit.

Yep, that’s the one on IG! Is it the one you’re getting? So cool-looking!
@alene Yes Gary said I should have it by Tuesday hopefully of next week so I will finally get to see what it looks like IRL. Im kind of excited but scared it might look too much like a rhodolite. Im kind of new to Instagram (there's a shock) so I don't really know my way around it yet so I didnt realize it was even on there!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
E71F26D5-8D76-4617-967A-F36D84EACD5F.jpeg
This is my Burma spinel for reference. It looks like a raspberry rhodolite, around 7mm in size (I forget carat weight, but it’s cut deep), but it has amazing fluorescence. It’s sitting loose on an empty ring setting. I just wanted to post for reference. It does have nice sparkle and luster. I forgot to mention those other important qualities, cut and luster. Incandescent light.

Attachments

• F4D3D3E9-F651-48CB-8F12-B5FF5009F0D7.jpeg
    F4D3D3E9-F651-48CB-8F12-B5FF5009F0D7.jpeg
    220.5 KB · Views: 17

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Catching up here and congratulations @PriscaSinclair on pulling the trigger. I hope it's everything you want! There are so many beautiful shades of red/pink stones...so hard to pick! I also find that reds are so difficult to evaluate in pictures.

Not to digress but....

Like with any gem, there are fine qualities and meh qualities. The same thing goes for raspberry rhodolite. There’s a particularly fine rhodolite from the Umba Valley, called “unbalite.” LD is a pricescoper with the taste of Elizabeth Taylor and a world class collection. She adored this stone enough to give it a beautiful home. I’m not saying it will be easy to find such a garnet, but if you can’t find a spinel you love, I think this is a worthy option for your budget, and size constraints, especially if you love raspberry.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/umbalite-garnet-in-new-home.149289/

Your link shows a motorcycle looking car.

ETA: found the spinel you’re talking about. I will respond.

THANK YOU @T L for posting this link! This might be the garnet LD mentioned on one of my threads and I kept hoping she would post pics. She mentioned that she had a garnet similar to one that I loved enough to create a post on. Maybe it's good she didn't post at the time because while I love mine, hers is to die for :love: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/sharing-pics-of-my-purple-pink-garnet.210277/ I recall it was from an old find where a bunch of the rough hit market a few years ago. I think one similar was posted recently in Kosnar Gem Auctions on FB. I chased these for awhile and am always tempted when I see one hit the market, but unfortunately, I've kind of given up as I've never been able to find one with the same saturation and don't hold a candle to my first one (even from the same lot). Not to say they aren't out there and yes, compared to spinels/rubies are much more affordable (But if you are looking for a ruby, this is totally different imo).

voce

Ideal_Rock
Yes Gary said I should have it by Tuesday hopefully of next week so I will finally get to see what it looks like IRL. Im kind of excited but scared it might look too much like a rhodolite. Im kind of new to Instagram (there's a shock) so I don't really know my way around it yet so I didnt realize it was even on there!
I don't worry it'll look like a rhodolite at all she to the fluorescence it shows under UV. The reason I don't personally like red garnets is because most of them darken under the sun in a way that resembles extinction. I live in California, so if something doesn't look good under the sun, I wouldn't even wear it. Very few red garnets will not close up under the sun. I think rhodolite is a mix of pyrope and some other variety? The more pyrope, the worse tje darkening effect is, I guess. I hesitate to buy any garnets that seem to have dark areas, even if the color is gorgeous. I seriously doubt there will be dark areas on the spinel you purchased unless it's a bad cut. Looking forward to the reveal when you receive it and take pictures to show us. :geek2:
E71F26D5-8D76-4617-967A-F36D84EACD5F.jpeg
This is my Burma spinel for reference. It looks like a raspberry rhodolite, around 7mm in size (I forget carat weight, but it’s cut deep), but it has amazing fluorescence. It’s sitting loose on an empty ring setting. I just wanted to post for reference. It does have nice sparkle and luster. I forgot to mention those other important qualities, cut and luster. Incandescent light.
That's a nicely saturated one! :eek2: you have gorgeous settings like that sitting around? If I were you, I'd want to set it and wear it.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Voce, thank you. It’s a pretty stone, but if I set it, I won’t wear it because I have these instead. The first trillion is super red, although the pic doesn’t show it. I am planning on changing the setting on that one eventually because it isn’t worthy of that stone. These are Tanzanian Mahenges. I wish I owned a Jedi though. I am probably the most particular when in comes to red gems, it has to glow like a burning ember for me to like them. With cool gems, like blue or lavenders, I’m much more forgiving since they’re my favorite colors. I don’t need vivid or intense color then. My favorite gem to wear is my oval color shift blue spinel, and it’s not a vivid gem at all.

Good point about the extinction on garnets in sunlight, and that Burmese spinel doesn’t go dark in any lighting. It actually looks better in sunlight dir to the fluorescence.

TLmahengenewcamera.JPG

TLmahenge_pear_2_1ct.JPG

TLspinelinring2.JPG

TLpurplishpinkmahenge3.JPG

TLmahengespineltrillion.JPG

voce

Ideal_Rock
:love::love:Gorgeous Mahenge spinels! I missed the boat because the time when these beauties were available at a good price was before I got interested in gemstones.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
24B324E7-48C0-4132-800E-F0564441F255.jpeg
:love::love:Gorgeous Mahenge spinels! I missed the boat because the time when these beauties were available at a good price was before I got interested in gemstones.
Thank you, I just wanted to post because while we kept talking about Burma spinels, I wanted to show some Tanzanian examples. There are Mahenges that, like some Burma spinels, look like pretty rhodolite, and/or do not fluoresce. I returned my share of those because of the price point. If I’m paying more, I want a more vivid color.

I reset the third one. Here’s a fluorescence pic in the sun. Oddly enough, I set the pear in a bypass ring with a matching shape/size African sapphire that is not intense in color at all, but I love blue gems. I also set the bottom trillion with a grayish violet spinel.

Last edited:

PriscaSinclair

Rough_Rock
I don't worry it'll look like a rhodolite at all she to the fluorescence it shows under UV. The reason I don't personally like red garnets is because most of them darken under the sun in a way that resembles extinction. I live in California, so if something doesn't look good under the sun, I wouldn't even wear it.

@voce I sure hope you are right! Im in the middle of nowhere Indiana now, so in the summer there's a good bit of sun (all this corn around me wouldn't grow without it) but the winters are dreary so Im hoping this stone will sparkle enough to lift my spirits then as well.

@T L you are cracking me up with that setting just sitting around and look at you with ALL THOSE amazing Spinels! No wonder its so hard to find great ones! They are all at your house. I am so grateful you posted them though because I can learn a lot by looking at what you all have purchased and what you think is good or bad about them. I have been staring at them ever since I got back from the vet. Do you have an idea of how you are going to set that Trillion stone? Its FABULOUS

Catching up here and congratulations @PriscaSinclair on pulling the trigger. I hope it's everything you want! There are so many beautiful shades of red/pink stones...so hard to pick! I also find that reds are so difficult to evaluate in pictures.

Thanks Limosun! I guess I will find out in a couple days when I get to see it in person. This has been such an amazing experience but kind of frustrating because the color IS so hard to evaluate and I just dont have any experience with spinels in real life. Ive only seen a couple real ones and that was just the other day at the jewelry store.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PriscaSinclair,
I keep all of them at the bank. I guess I wouldn’t sleep well at night knowing they’re all in my house!!! Eeeeek! Thanks for the kind words, but there are many pricescopers with outstanding red spinels. I wish they were all mine!!

I have to revisit that one trillion, the prongs are “eating” the stone. Trillions are hard to find nice settings for. I wish I could get a setting like that ten carat ruby had!!! I’m more into blue and violet stones though. A fine lavender or blue or violet spinel makes me melt into a puddle of drool, as do fine blue moonstones, but that’s another subject.

Good luck on the spinel, I hope you love it!

Last edited:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DA692063-1A72-4407-B370-A2123FC9013A.jpeg
By the way, here’s that Burmese cushion sitting in some mounting putty in an empty setting outside. It’s nicer in the sun, more hot pink I suppose. 1.75 carats (just weighed it). It’s a pretty stone, I may set it now. I certainly have a new appreciation for it due to this thread.

Last edited:

clumberlove

Shiny_Rock

I know the feeling. I have only recently had the disposable income to indulge in gems and I am definitely still on a tight budget! I am sure in 10 years time there will be some gems that we are picking up at a reasonable price now that will be the Mahenge spinels of the future. Ah well, it can't be helped to be new to the game.

PriscaSinclair

Rough_Rock
By the way, here’s that Burmese cushion sitting in some mounting putty in an empty setting outside. It’s nicer in the sun, more hot pink I suppose. 1.75 carats (just weighed it). It’s a pretty stone, I may set it now. I certainly have a new appreciation for it due to this thread.

@T L I think she is beautiful and I really like her in that type of setting you have a right there! I want a setting something like that if I can swing it. I bet that stone longs to be worn and shown off! I am so glad you are thinking about setting her.
(I have Anthropomorphism tendencies with everything)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@T L I think she is beautiful and I really like her in that type of setting you have a right there! I want a setting something like that if I can swing it. I bet that stone longs to be worn and shown off! I am so glad you are thinking about setting her.
(I have Anthropomorphism tendencies with everything)
Thank you Prisca,
I hope you find a gorgeous setting worthy of “her” too. Keep us posted.

PriscaSinclair

Rough_Rock
Ive been thinking about that David Klass in California for a setting (if I like the stone) I'm not sure how expensive he is though. He LOOKS expensive and I suppose it depends on a lot of factors. But this size I bought is weird so it won't seem to fit in a normal off the rack setting. Ivy and Rose is an option too I heard they have a long wait period though. I dont have much left for a setting without going over my budget unless I wait a few months anyway so right now Im just looking at different styles in between putting an ice pack on my dogs rear-end every 4 hours. <sigh> She's taking a lot of care at the moment and she's cranky and thats making things difficult.

Anybody have an opinion on the effect of white gold vs yellow gold on a reddish pink stone? (or whatever color it is) You know how certain colors can affect the perception of another color if they are right next to each other? Like make it look more red or not? I certainly dont need it to look any more dark or pink I think, might need something to keep it as bright as possible so thats I was thinking white gold or platinum. I DO love yellow gold Im just not sure what that would look like with this stone though. I know the white gold/platinum seems to be more in style I see a lot of it.
I was thinking about doing yellow gold later with an emerald but now I am afraid to even think about emeralds!

voce

Ideal_Rock
I like yellow gold, too, but I've seen too many subpar rubies in yellow gold where yellow was supposed to bring out the red colour more. I think if your stone is vivid enough, setting it in white metals will make it obvious that it doesn't need the boost from yellow gold, and quite possibly it'll look a lot better than most vintage rubies in white gold!

Reactions: T L

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you have a yellow gold chain, clump it up and place the stone on it in order to see how it would look in yellow metal. You can use aluminum foil or a silver chain to see it next to white metal. You can place it on top of a shiny penny if you’re considering rose gold (for another gem, not a red one). Voce is right about yellow gold drowning out some rubies, but if it isn’t vivid enough, a white metal may make it look more brown, it depends on the stone. I usually only set my most vivid gems in white metal, unless the metal color really compliments the gem. For example, I love some cool colored stones in rose gold. What are the measurements of the stone?

Last edited:

PriscaSinclair

Rough_Rock
@voce that would be nice I hope this stone can pull it off I would really prefer to do the white gold or platinum thing!

PriscaSinclair

Rough_Rock
If you have a yellow gold chain, clump it up and place the stone on it in order to see how it would look in yellow metal. You can use aluminum foil or a silver chain to see it next to white metal. You can place it in top of a shiny penny if you’re considering rose gold. Voce is right about yellow gold drowning out some rubies, but if it isn’t vivid enough, a white metal may make it look more brown. I usually only set my most vivid gems in white metal. What are the measurements of the stone?
Wow those are fantastic ideas because I was trying to figure out how to tell what goes best with it. I hate to go back to that little independent jewelry store with my new stone to look because I dont think Im going to get my setting from them and I feel bad taking all their time to look at their settings that I really have no intention of buying. The settings I saw there that I thought were pretty were like 2500.00 and they didn't even have a lot of diamonds and I was having a heart attack. Im hoping its just they are expensive and I can find stuff cheaper elsewhere.
But I dont think my stone is vivid like YOUR stones that you set in white metal lol I dont think my stone has that saturation thingy like your stuff. It measures 8.4 x 6.5 x 4.4 mm.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow those are fantastic ideas because I was trying to figure out how to tell what goes best with it. I hate to go back to that little independent jewelry store with my new stone to look because I dont think Im going to get my setting from them and I feel bad taking all their time to look at their settings that I really have no intention of buying. The settings I saw there that I thought were pretty were like 2500.00 and they didn't even have a lot of diamonds and I was having a heart attack. Im hoping its just they are expensive and I can find stuff cheaper elsewhere.
But I dont think my stone is vivid like YOUR stones that you set in white metal lol I dont think my stone has that saturation thingy like your stuff. It measures 8.4 x 6.5 x 4.4 mm.

You never know, see what you think when you get it.

I think a 9x7mm setting might work. A good way to find out is to get a super cheap silver 9x7mm setting somewhere, like on eBay, etsy, etc...and I’m talking super cheap, like $10 or so. Place it in the setting, and see. Don’t rule out some of the eBay sellers in in the vendor sticky thread. Don’t rule out 10k gold to save $$. I know many here think 10k is junk, but see that setting above for the elongated cushion mahenge I have, its a 10k white gold diamond setting from one of those eBay sellers. It was less than $400, and in my personal experience, 10k alloys are very strong. It’s sitting under a platinum band in that photo so you can see, no one would know what alloy it is . If you want to get a custom setting, because I’m not saying my setting is as spectacular as DK, it isn’t, but you can always upgrade later.

Last edited:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I forgot to mention that some of those eBay sellers sell the same IIvy and Rose settings for much cheaper in 10 K and silver. You could always “test drive” it in silver before committing to buying that setting in gold.

PriscaSinclair

Rough_Rock
@T L I never thought about 10K! I do kind of want something strong and that sure would be cheaper and strong I bet. Well these are great ideas. Come Monday (or Tuesday) when I get that stone I will be setting it on all sorts of things to try to see what looks good with it. My husband did mention I have a saddle I don't use much anymore and I could sell it on Ebay or craigslist and that would help give me a little more for a setting. I'm going to clean it up and try I think!

Reactions: T L

PriscaSinclair

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone I got the stone! Here are some pics I just took this morning. Now I have a HUGE appreciation of how hard it is to take pics of a stone, especially when its so dark and overcast out. Plus they are wiggly little things, so the first few I just left it in the box that in came in. I just dont have any sun here today, so who knows what it would look like if the sun was shining. At least its not raining!

IMG_0218.jpg

IMG_0219.jpeg
IMG_0220.jpeg

IMG_0231.jpeg

So here are my thoughts. I love the size and the cut and of course I like the raspberryish red color. But I could have gotten that from a Rhodolite cheaper maybe. It could use a bit more color saturation I think (if thats what its called) but I might have had to either go up in price or down in size to attain that...I don't know. It seems to look a little redder inside than out, but I will have to see how that changes during the day.
I caved and decided to go ahead and take her along with me this morning back to the jewelry store in the city, since that place is resizing a (blank) ladies signet ring I just bought and I had to drop it off. I showed the spinel to the saleslady and she she said its great - except later if I want redder or brighter color I should get something with inclusions in it because nobody's going to see them anyway once it is set.
Depends on the severity of the inclusions I suppose.
Her most basic Halo settings START at 1700.00 and thats crazy because some of them looked just like the ones I saw on IvY and Rose and they were mostly half that price or less.

Here is a pic of a David Klass ring that hubby likes. (But I dont like that stone so Im not trying to replicate that part. That stone is probably marvelous but to my untrained eye its just too girly bright pink for me I don't think my personality could pull it off...yet. Im trying to learn "taste" in gems... it may take a bit) Anyway, he wants me to email them and see how much it would cost to make a ring similar. I think its going to be waaaay too much because so many diamonds~!
(Hope Im allowed to post a ring made by David on here? Its on his website and I dont work for him or anything lol! guess I will find out)

Here's the setting

IMG_0184.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results