shape
carat
color
clarity

HCA Score 6 :(

anon34985

Shiny_Rock
I am new to in depth diamond education, and purchased my diamond based on GIA specs, which I have now learned, is not as cut and dry and I thought it was! My diamond performs very well in some lights (overcast, indoor natural lighting) but very poorly in others. When I decided to look more into specs was after I left a jewelry store and it looked like crap!! I am so disappointed. This is the diamond that I own- It scores a 6 HCA and a 2A AGA
https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD09683941

Would this diamond be much better? It scores a 1.9 and a 1B
https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD11288293?track=Detlink0

I'm not sure there is much to be done now without loosing a bunch of money, but I could see what I could do! I'm also wondering, since I am already getting poor light reflection, if my bulky prongs could be making things even worse!! IMG_6369.jpeg IMG_4943.JPG IMG_4307.jpeg

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Are you in the refund period?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sorry :( That's really disappointing. Are you ok with spending the money for a replacement? You will end up losing money, because you were likely overcharged for a poor stone if you bought in person.

Yes, this new stone will be significantly better if you are ok with not getting anywhere near what you paid for your original stone in trade/selling, etc.

anon34985

Shiny_Rock
My stone is the first link from blue nile... we paid 11,300 the second link is only $500 more but I know I would get no where close to the 11,300 we paid for mine :( It's a crummy feeling that we were not educated enough during the buying process, and could have got a more beautiful stone for not much more.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
The other stone does look like a brighter - jumble, compared to the H&A people bring in here all the time.

I do not know if you can trade in to upgrade the cut. It should be possible.

anon34985

Shiny_Rock
Unfortunately I am not in the refund period.

Reactions: AV_

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Or you can ask them about how much they would buy back your stone for. BN offers a buyback option (according to the website).

anon34985

Shiny_Rock
Or you can ask them about how much they would buy back your stone for. BN offers a buyback option (according to the website).
I do plan to call them, because when I online chatted them, they said their return policy is pretty strict, but it is worth talking to someone about!! I got the offer from their buyback program and it was between $5500-6500, it doesn't make me upset enough to loose half on haha!

Would you be confident if they for some miracle did let me exchange the stone, that the second link would be astronomically better than my current?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do plan to call them, because when I online chatted them, they said their return policy is pretty strict, but it is worth talking to someone about!! I got the offer from their buyback program and it was between $5500-6500, it doesn't make me upset enough to loose half on haha!

Would you be confident if they for some miracle did let me exchange the stone, that the second link would be astronomically better than my current?
Yes, very confident. It will be like apples and oranges. It would be one step better if you had advanced images (like ASET or IS), but unfortunately BN doesn't do that. I would STRONGLY suggest at least considering the buyback program (or asking other vendors like whiteflash what they would buy it for). Obviously you don't have to, but you will likely be happier with a better performing stone that looks outstanding in all lights.

Here's what I would do if I were you:
1. Take BN up on their offer to buy back.
2. Go to a super ideal vendor with an outstanding trade up policy (e.g. only have to spend $1 more). Options include whiteflash (their ACA, ES, or PS line) and crafted by infinity (from HP diamonds).
3. Buy the biggest/nicest stone you can afford with the buy back money
4. Trade up incrementally or whenever you can.
5. victory! You have a better performing diamond, even if it takes a bit of a time to trade up to the size you want.

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
If you ask to exchange ... the worst thing that can happen is that they say “no” ... I would not expect them to agree because you would fall under the upgrade policy now, but no harm done by asking. How far out of the refund period are you?

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Were you happy with it before finding out about the HCA or was it always bothering you? I only ask b/c it's tough to swallow losing that much on your stone.

Is it possible to use Blue Nile's upgrade program or save for it over time? Then people here can help you get the most for your money on the new stone....

I hope one way or another this gets resolved to your satisfaction!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Were you happy with it before finding out about the HCA or was it always bothering you? I only ask b/c it's tough to swallow losing that much on your stone.

Is it possible to use Blue Nile's upgrade program or save for it over time? Then people here can help you get the most for your money on the new stone....

I hope one way or another this gets resolved to your satisfaction!

Blue Nile up grade is spend double.

cxr133

Shiny_Rock
Has the HCA creator done any youtube videos on different HCA scores? i would love to what the differences look like in real life.

anon34985

Shiny_Rock
You could send it to Brian Gavin and ask for a recut. It should be possible with a VS 2. You will lose a little weight, but it might not be that bad.

www.briangavindiamonds.com

Do you know how much something like this costs? I know there is no way I would take something like $5k for it because I really do love it, I guess I just hate I didn't get the "best bang for my buck" so to speak. I always noticed in certain lights it wasn't as sparkly, or a bit dull/grey, but I'd say 70% of the time I love it. I would love to see it in real life next to the other one to be able to see the difference myself!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you know how much something like this costs? I know there is no way I would take something like $5k for it because I really do love it, I guess I just hate I didn't get the "best bang for my buck" so to speak. I always noticed in certain lights it wasn't as sparkly, or a bit dull/grey, but I'd say 70% of the time I love it. I would love to see it in real life next to the other one to be able to see the difference myself!

I haven’t had it done, but IIRC it was very reasonable, hundreds.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I haven’t had it done, but IIRC it was very reasonable, hundreds.
More than a year ago, to recut a 2.20 my total cost would have been about 2400 I think. You have to factor in insurance to recut and new certificate and carat weight. I got 2 quotes and both were around there but you can look up my thread and see for sure. Or just call and ask for a quote. Lol

anon34985

Shiny_Rock
More than a year ago, to recut a 2.20 my total cost would have been about 2400 I think. You have to factor in insurance to recut and new certificate and carat weight. I got 2 quotes and both were around there but you can look up my thread and see for sure. Or just call and ask for a quote. Lol

I have sent him an email! I'm guessing since it's the holiday weekend I won't get an immediate answer, so I was just wondering a ballpark :)

anon34985

Shiny_Rock

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
The first thing you need to do is see a GIA XXX that does score higher on the HCA in person and see if you can even tell the difference between that diamond and your diamond. The tools on PS are not meant to replace in person viewing! Many of us have diamonds that are not "perfect by numbers" but are just right for us optically.

As to your perception that you diamond looked poor after you left the store, diamonds look different in different lighting. Sometimes diamonds don't do much but look like white circles ;)2

I have been on PS a long time. I happen to think now, after owning a looooooot if diamonds, that the finer nuances of cut are not particularly apparent in normal viewing. You should absolutely NOT be panicking over an HCA score and you should absolutely NOT be considering a recut at this point!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

anon34985

Shiny_Rock
The first thing you need to do is see a GIA XXX that does score higher on the HCA in person and see if you can even tell the difference between that diamond and your diamond. The tools on PS are not meant to replace in person viewing! Many of us have diamonds that are not "perfect by numbers" but are just right for us optically.

As to your perception that you diamond looked poor after you left the store, diamonds look different in different lighting. Sometimes diamonds don't do much but look like white circles ;)2

I have been on PS a long time. I happen to think now, after owning a looooooot if diamonds, that the finer nuances of cut are not particularly apparent in normal viewing. You should absolutely NOT be panicking over an HCA score and you should absolutely NOT be considering a recut at this point!

Wow, thank you so much! This has been a comment that is really helping me to just stop obsessing, and appreciate my diamond for what it is... It really is beautiful and I do feel lucky to have it!! I just want to edit to add- My ring looked like crap IN the jewelry store, where I thought diamonds were meant to look their best haha.

Last edited:

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Make sure it’s clean!!! Do you have a magnasonic?

anon34985

Shiny_Rock
Make sure it’s clean!!! Do you have a magnasonic?
I don't, but I have had it cleaned in one, and I generally just clean it with dish soap! Do you know anything about the prongs being too thick and maybe blocking some light?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results