shape
carat
color
clarity

Making the most of my .64ct AVR

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOVE the setting! Why do you have to give it back?

elizat

Ideal_Rock
It's beautiful- I am sorry you have to send it back. I hope you'll get to get it back soon. is there something off with it?

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, @AV_ :)) I love that whole cobblestone finish! DKJ is also doing a charm to go on a plain chain bracelet, which will use up all the remaining unset OECs I have. It should have a nice, old world feel to it, and will make something pretty of the antique chain from which the bracelet is made. It was originally a muff chain, so is very solid. Hopefully ready in the next month or 2.

@sunandsky - thank you! I'm rarely happy with my own designs, but I do love this one! :)) (where's the 'phew' emoji!)

@tyty333 - I think my brain thinks '.64ct' - but my eyes SEE 13.5mm x 13.5mm! So as a result, when I look at it, it seems both delicate and substantial. I really do think it's a great design for smaller centers, and am very happy with it! I'm so glad you like it! :wavey:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is beautiful, mrs-b! :love: What a great way to set your AVR! I love it! It's nice to see ideas for smaller stones. I need to concentrate on those from here on out! :lol:

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@the_mother_thing @marymm @Catmom @elizat

Just to be clear for everyone. This is a birthday gift from my god kids. My birthday, sadly, is not till June. There is nothing wrong with the ring. In fact, I think it's perfect! But I have to give the ring back to my god kids, so they can give it to me on my birthday.

That makes complete sense - thanks for the clarification - anticipation is a good thing, right? (especially since you know exactly what is coming!)

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@the_mother_thing -

Thank you for your kind comments! If you read the post above, you'll see that I have to give the ring back to my god kids, so they can give it to me for my birthday. I mentioned earlier in this thread that this is a birthday gift. Unfortunately, my birthday isn't until June.

Yes, I'm familiar with @cflutist's ring, as it's one of my all-time favorite rings on PS. However, in light of various 'who copied who' accusations, I want to be very, very clear. I drew the ring I wanted made. I still have both the drawing and the date. Originally, I wanted 6 petals, as per @elle_71125's ring. However, i already had 4 identical 11pt stones, and a zillion 2/3 pt stones from my halo ring that was dismantled last year after it came out too large (for my taste). 6 petals just wouldn't fit. Consequently, it had to be 4, as I didn't want the asymmetrical look of 5. To try to make the petals join up (which is why I originally wanted 6), if you look at the angle between the 2 petals where they meet the head, you'll see it's markedly different to the HPD ring. It's a more floral look, where I see the HPD ring as a more Byzantine appearance. The shanks are different. The undercarriage is very different. The proportion of petal to center stone is completely different, but were @cflutist's ring to have the same proportions as mine, for example, the center stone on each of her petals would have to be 40 points EACH. The ratio of center-to-side stones on the petals is very different. And the petals on mine are a softer, curvier look - more akin to @elle_71125's ring; mine curve backwards, as opposed to being flat, as I wanted to emphasize the crown of the AVR. Mine also has a stippled finish between the stones on the petals, which is too small to show up on a photo, but which you can *just* make out in real life.

The 2 rings both have 4 petals around a center stone. But I want to be clear; I don't copy other people's designs. Ever. And besides, nobody could ever touch the perfection which is the Queen Pari.

Last edited:

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @Luce - Thank you so much! I'm a little tied up at the moment, but I'll try to get something up over the weekend.

@elle_71125 - I would not be offended if you copied it down to the last jot and tittle! As much or as little as you like; I'll consider it a compliment. And - let's be serious here - there is a LOT of your 6 petal colored stone ring with the vines and leaves shank in this one! I tried for 6 petals, but it wouldn't fit!! This one only works because the center stone is small. If it were, say, 8mm, plus adding the extra diameter on the petals, it would probably be up around the 18 x 18mm size, which, for me, is prohibitive. You really do get to a point where enough is enough!

@Catmom - I'm so glad you like it! Not giving it back to DKJ. Giving it back to my god kids until my birthday - roll on June!!

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@the_mother_thing -

Thank you for your kind comments! If you read the post above, you'll see that I have to give the ring back to my god kids, so they can give it to me for my birthday. I mentioned earlier in this thread that this is a birthday gift. Unfortunately, my birthday isn't until June.

Yes, I'm familiar with @cflutist's ring, as it's one of my all-time favorite rings on PS. However, in light of various 'who copied who' accusations, I want to be very, very clear. I drew the ring I wanted made. I still have both the drawing and the date. Originally, I wanted 6 petals, as per @elle_71125's ring. However, i already had 4 identical 11pt stones, and a zillion 2/3 pt stones from my halo ring that was dismantled last year after it came out too large (for my taste). 6 petals just wouldn't fit. Consequently, it had to be 4, as I didn't want the asymmetrical look of 5. To try to make the petals join up (which is why I originally wanted 6), if you look at the angle between the 2 petals where they meet the head, you'll see it's markedly different to the HPD ring. It's a more floral look, where I see the HPD ring as a more Byzantine appearance. The shanks are difference. The undercarriage is very different. The proportion of petal to center stone is completely different, but were @cflutist's ring to have the same proportions as mine, the center stone on each of her petals would have to be 40 points EACH. The ratio of center-to-side stones on the petals is very different. And the petals on mine are a softer, curvier look - more akin to @elle_71125's ring; mine curve backwards, as opposed to being flat, as I wanted to emphasize the crown of the AVR. Mine also has a stippled finish between the stones on the petals, which is too small to show up on a photo, but which you can *just* make out in real life.

The 2 rings both have 4 petals around a center stone. But I want to be clear; I don't copy other people's designs. Ever. And besides, nobody could ever touch the perfection which is the Queen Pari.

Not saying that my opinion counts for much but your design doesnt look anything like Queen Pari to me. The only thing they have in common is the number of petals.

Still drooling over your fantastic new ring. Now that you know how great it looks, I bet you're going to hate waiting until June. The things we do for family. :lol: You're very lucky to have such thoughtful gift givers.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@elizat - thank you! No, nothing wrong with it at all - it's perfect. See my above post to which I've linked you, explaining the situation.

@diamondseeker2006 - hallo! And Happy Spring! I love the 'under 1ct' thread, but I'd also love it if all our designers had a section on designs for smaller stones. i think you can do things with smaller stones that just can't be done with larger stones, but that concept is rarely explored. And, while I might upgrade my 3.05ct ACA, I'm with you; there will be no more new, large stones at this point. Stick a fork in me - I'm done! And I'm looking forward to seeing your daughter's new e-ring! I'm sure it will be stunning, as Caysie's work always is.

@marymm - I agree! Anticipation really IS half the fun!!

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@mrs-b My earlier comment was in reference to the use of a colored and/or larger sized stone in the setting, as mentioned up-thread. It was done before and I was just sharing that observation. It wasn’t an accusation. :wavey:

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@the_mother_thing -

Didn't take it as an accusation. But in this climate of hurt feelings and accusations, I want to be extra, extra careful and clear. I don't ever want to find myself in the center of one of those arguments.

caolsen

Brilliant_Rock
It’s a lovely thing - such a special setting for you perfect little nugget!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful! Reminds me of Queen Pari without the colour!

It’s amazing at what a punch a little guy can throw :love:

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock
Two last ones....

ETA For reference, size 7 finger.

20190418_181353.jpg

20190418_174710.jpg
I love that ring! Yes, very feminine and pretty and kind of has a heart vibe to it with a floral feel. It looks beautiful on you especially with the bands. I am very impressed with your design.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, @caolsen :)) It really is just like a 'little piece of prettiness'! Those mini decorations are what I'm looking for from my jewelry in general, so I'm very happy with how this turned out.

Thank you, @Alex T :wavey: When something is as white and sparkly as this AVR, you don't need a whole lot of it before it makes an impact!

Hi @bling_dream19. I love what you saw re the heart look, as well as the floral look. What an elegant combination!

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@mrs-b

Your ring is absolutely gorgeous, :love: I like how you did the petals. You have my complete blessing. Congratulations on such a beautiful ring. :appl:

Btw, JulyisJuly wanted to copy HPD Symphonie and I said sure. We met up and she even tried my all of my rings on (even my pear).

She remarked on how well all of my HPDs rings had such exceptional polish, Wink's bench spends at least 10 hours on each ring to polish every nook and cranny.

Has she ever posted again after her WF remake? I hope that it all worked out for her.

Q

Queenie60

Very pretty!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@cflutist - thank you so much for your kind words. I LOVE your Queen Pari - I'll never forget how it took me about 3 days of staring before I commented on your thread. I just couldn't get the words out! And that's a lot of the reason I know - I'd never be able to duplicate that with a 5.5mm baby diamond. 'Queen' in its title is entirely correct. "Flower' and 'heart' and 'petal' and 'sweet' are more my words with this one!

I can't believe you met up with @Julyisjuly! That's one lucky lady!! And no, I can't recall her ever coming back. I really hope she got what she was looking for in the end.

Polish on pieces is hugely overlooked, don't you think? I remember I bought a piece from DKJ about 3 or 4 years ago and I went to pick it up. Amy brought it out, and I thought it was lovely. But David was standing there, and he took it out of my hands and said "I'd like to polish this myself. Can you wait a few more days for it?" I said - "Sure!" - inwardly thinking "What's left to DO??" But when I got it back, I swear, it was like a whole other level. From that point on, I've really appreciated jewelers who go the extra mile with polish.

I hope you're still wearing your beautiful diamond bracelets. The yellow and white together are just amazing! Your collection really is 'next level'. :wavey:

Last edited:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@mrs-b OMG! I saw this ring on IG and absolutely loved it! You always have some project up your sleeve! It’s like Christmas seeing what you’re going to unwrap for us! I love rings that have a floral look..and this one is a stunner! What a fun ring! Beautiful!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, @Queenie60 :)) She's a truly girlie ring - which I love! My taste tends to run to the 'plain', so this is a nice departure for me. And Happy Easter to you and yours! :wavey:

Thank you, @Mamabean! Reading what you said about Christmas made me chuckle! I love the analogy! I currently have a solitaire being done with DKJ, but it's an I SI1 1.4ct solitaire - no bells or whistles - and is being made as a workhorse ring for traveling and for when I want something low key. I suspect my DH will upgrade it for me next year (I'm looking for something in the 1.7 - 1.8 G/H VS realm), and that will be where I stay. I'm not looking for another big ring - not that there's anything wrong with those!! :love:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very interesting and unique setting! A wonderful way to showcase a somewhat smaller stone - the petals compliment rather than overwhelm the center stone. Enjoy!!

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
However, in light of various 'who copied who' accusations, I want to be very, very clear.

lovely ring! as is @cflutist 's ! FWIW i've seen close variations on this design from other companies as well, I don't think it is distinctly belonging to one jeweler... what nice godkids you have =D

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
@mrs-b I love this size stone! Big enough to have presence, but small enough to not break the bank. I have an antique ring with a stone this size in an illusion setting flanked by small stones, and it's perfect as a RHR. My diamond solitaire pendant is the exact same size as your AVR too. The setting you created is so sweet and does such a great job of enhancing the beauty of your AVR!! I love how it looks on your hand, it's resplendent.

I agree with you re polish, it can really make or break a piece. One of the things I requested of DK on my pendants is that the insides of the settings be finished with a high polish. I think it helps reflect the light around the stone so much better. I have some antique pieces and have seen hundreds of pictures of older jewelry that don't have that fine finish on the inside and I think it seems to affect light performance of the stones.

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
What a beautiful ring mrs b! I love the use of the different size diamonds to form the cobblestone pave. I was just watching the antiques roadshow and there was stunning brooch with cobblestone pave that could be very specifically dated to the Edwardian period because of that, it's a gorgeous look!
With regard to your comments about designing rings with smaller diamonds I totally agree, I think this is something done successfully with Art Deco panel rings but not in more recent years, it's a shame.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@MissGotRocks - thank you! I think there's a skill to getting the most out of smaller stones. Diamonds are glorious in all their forms, so it's a shame that more effort isn't put into showcasing some of the wonderful diamonds that come in smaller packages.

Thank you, @bludiva. :)) I have the most wonderful godkids, and I have a huge amount to do with them and love them hugely. So I will wear this ring often with must affection and many warm memories. :kiss2:

Aaaaaahh! I totally agree with you, @meely! I think - even without going that far back - settings were more complementary to smaller diamonds, and I absolutely LOVED all those illusion settings! my benchmark engagement ring is still my mother's - which had a bezel set .24ct diamond in the center, and a few more points in a leaf pattern in the band. I loved that ring and thought it was incredibly romantic! She never - ever - took it, or her wedding ring, off - another aspect that I loved.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@SandyinAnaheim -

I thought about using this stone as a small pendant! I think it's the perfect size! I have a friend who has a diamond pendant in the shape of a box. It's set on the point, and inside the box shape (5 sides - no lid, obviously) is a round brilliant help by 4 prongs - one in each corner of the box. It's the most elegant thing - only small - but I admire it every single time I see it!

I UTTERLY agree with you re older jewelry and its poor polish impacting the light performance of the diamond/s. When you think about it - how can it possibly not? It's something I'm much more finicky about now, and I think it's very classy to have a jewel finished from every angle - even the angles other people won't see. Because, when all is said and done, as the wearer, WE know.

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful @mrs-b ! Love the flower! And it looks great with your stack!

Hounddog

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Beautiful ring...and your dog is absolutely gorgeous too! :love:

GlitterInMyHair

Brilliant_Rock
I somehow missed this one.

Beautiful ring! I think it would make a beautiful pendant too.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results