shape
carat
color
clarity

Making the most of my .64ct AVR

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
About a year ago I saw and fell in love with a .645 ct E VS1 or VS2 (I can't remember, I'm sorry) AVR. I had no idea what I'd do with such a small diamond, and spent the next 6 months devising...then throwing out....designs and various drawings. In the end I landed *here*; .64ct center with 4 x 11pt diamonds and 8 x 2/3 pt diamonds, all set in platinum by DKJ. The final design was 13.5 x 13.5mm, so it has substantial presence without looking like I was desperate for size!

This is a lovely ring - very feminine and pretty - while being easy to wear. It also stacks nicely with a wedding band, as (I think!) is obvious in the photos of the three rings together.

I hope you like it!

20190418_174738.jpg

20190418_174833.jpg

20190418_174424.jpg

20190418_174432.jpg

20190418_172356.jpg

20190418_173002-2.jpg

20190418_173002.jpg

naroo_11

Shiny_Rock
Oh I love that...good things do come in small packages :clap:

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty design, it looks beautiful on your hand!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I LOVE that ring, Mrs b! It has such presence! It looks beautiful on you!

Sparkles88

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It’s gorgeous @mrs-b! So pretty and feminine and looks lovely on your hand. It just goes to show you don’t have to have a massive diamond to achieve finger coverage, well done on another beautifully executed design , love it :love:.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very lovely @mrs-b. :love:Perfect on you.:appl:

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Great looking ring mrs-b, that stone is so sparkly ---but I have to say, dear Cirrus is quite a cutie as well....:love:

anangel

Brilliant_Rock
That design is just perfect for the AVR- flowery just like the diamond!

Crystal_Dreams

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oooohh!! I saw this on his IG and had to look twice because it was so lovely!! I have a little fancy purple pink stone needing to be set and this looked like the perfect inspiration! Maybe one day...

This is so so gorgeous on you :)

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is really a beautiful design and so pretty with your AVR!

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous!! SO pretty and feminine! And Cirrus is one handsome guy :love:

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous design, ring and diamond for an equally beautiful woman, Looks great on you!

DorotheaBrooke

Brilliant_Rock
Yay - the piece I've been most excited to see on PS! And wow, this is beautiful! :love::love::love: The presence is amazing, but like you mentioned, does not look like you were just going for size. I'd be interested to hear about other types of designs you considered in your decision-making process, as well as when and how you plan to wear this ring, since I know you have others.

This is very much aligned with my style and makes me think seriously about my plans for my small AVR. I could be happy with a ring in a similar style, instead of investing (waiting) time and money into a large center stone.

Thanks so much for sharing this beauty!

P.S. Your dog and your chair upholstery are also beautiful. :)

apacherose

Brilliant_Rock
I hope you like it!

20190418_174738.jpg

20190418_174833.jpg

20190418_174424.jpg

20190418_174432.jpg

20190418_172356.jpg

20190418_173002-2.jpg

20190418_173002.jpg

Welllllll..... I sure do like it! I more than like it! What a darling and special ring. I am sure I would grab it often if it were mine! It is splendid.

Yet another inspired creation, Mrs B! Well done!!!

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Love what you have done with the petals - using little diamonds of various sizes rather than a field of pave; an old school take ripe for revival!

sunandsky

Shiny_Rock
I love it! You did an amazing job with the design, and it looks fabulous on you.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, everyone, for your kind comments! This really is a darling little ring and I like it very much. I should also note here - the AVR was a gift from my god kids last Christmas and the setting is their gift to me this birthday. Sadly, having checked the ring over in person to make sure it's exactly what I wanted, I now have to give it back. :-o

Secondly, Cirrus thanks you for the kind comments. It's pronounced Cirrus like the clouds - not Cyrus or Sirius, as some in his grooming, dog-walking, vet field insist on calling him! Luckily, Cirrus speaks 'treats' and will respond to virtually anyone with a cookie. :))

He's only 1 and a half years old, but is a natural gentleman - soft, affectionate, and floppy whenever you want to pull him over for a cuddle. We haven't started his show career yet, but MUST get onto this. His father was a big time champion, and our groomer (a breeder and handler of Irish setters) refers to him as our 'rock star', as he has so much natural beauty and a lot of promise for the ring. DH and I just need to get off our butts and get him into the ring. Clearly, rings in general are important in our lives!!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @naroo_11 - it's a curious combination of small and substantial. It's only 1.1ctw, yet the finger coverage is substantial. I LOVE that dichotomy and feel it makes it truly interesting.

Thank you, @Rfisher! Lady - seriously - I am still picking my jaw up off the floor over your new screaming beauty! Love the prong arrangement, and the stones in it are just beautiful!

@Sparkles88 - I completely agree with you! There was a woman on PS some years ago - I can't recall her name - but she set something like a .43 diamond in a floral style setting, and it was SO gorgeous - it was a revelation to me. A bigger diamond wouldn't have looked right, and I feel in my ring, also, a larger diamond would make the individual stones too obvious (because, of course, a larger center would necessitate larger side stones as well), and detract from the prettiness of it. I have to say, were I 23 years old again, and getting engaged to my DH, I would have LOVED to have received a ring like this! Also, I think there's a 'less than 5k' thread somewhere, and this will be going in it!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the setting! It actually looks bigger than a .64 IMO.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks so much, @missy. I think she's such a delight! Also, I've been thinking about you and praying for health and strength and a wonderful summer to come. I had more bloods done last night and go back to the endocrinologist on Monday - man, I would love some good news! You don't realize how important a thyroid is, till it's not working, right? I seriously never thought of mine until one day...bam! Anyway, sending you warm thoughts! :kiss2:

Thank you, @sarahb - I shall tell him, and I'm sure he'll approve of that sentiment! :)) Who is the little fella in your profile photo? That's a charming little soul, also! And thank you for the kind comments re my ring; it really IS hugely sparkly in real life and retains that sparkle on the finger. (I know this, because I've been staring at it, a lot!) :wavey:

Hi @anangel :)) The design really does go with the ring. The faceting on the AVR gives the whole ring such a flower-like feel - you really do see the OEC effect. I'm so pleased to have this lovely little piece - it's unlike anything else I already owned, and it's nice not to feel as tho you're just repeating yourself when you have more than a few pieces. So I'll enjoy this one a lot. :kiss2:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks so much, @missy. I think she's such a delight! Also, I've been thinking about you and praying for health and strength and a wonderful summer to come. I had more bloods done last night and go back to the endocrinologist on Monday - man, I would love some good news! You don't realize how important a thyroid is, till it's not working, right? I seriously never thought of mine until one day...bam! Anyway, sending you warm thoughts! :kiss2:

Thank you so much @mrs-b and I am keeping you in my thoughts and prayers as well. Serious health challenges can be very scary. Sending you good wishes and hope you receive excellent health news very soon. I want you to be enjoy your beautiful bling in good health. (((Hugs))).

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:love: I think it turned out beautifully; it’s sad you need to give it back, though I don’t understand why.

I think any size diamond or colored stone would be gorgeous in a setting like this if overall scale is properly executed. IIRC @cflutist ring (same design but by HPD) had a large, warm colored CBI, and it was amazing. Wink has a video of it on his website.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, @Crystal_Dreams! I think a colored stone center would be GORGEOUS! I think either pink or yellow would be perfect! I tried to get some pink diamonds together to do all the stones in the petals in pink, but was unable to get them pink enough while still being affordable. I considered doing rose gold petals, but thought it would make it too heavy looking. In the end, obviously, I stayed with all white everything. But I DO think a colored center would perhaps look even better; this design is made for colored stones!

Thanks, @marymm! The AVR really works in it, don't you think? I just wish my finger was a tad smaller! For instance, a size 5 would be just perfect!! :mrgreen:

Thank you, @Dandi :wavey: I love that dog! I have a second, also - an Irish Red and White Setter called Ballin (said like Allen, but with a B at the beginning) - who is just as beautiful. But it's very difficult to get Ballin in photos, as his idea of sitting on a sofa is sitting ON you as *you* sit on the sofa. For a 60lb dog, this is quite the challenge!! And thank you for the kind comments about my ring. :))

Luce

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@mrs-b .... you’re new ring is gorgeous! We need a profile shot!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awwww - @D&T! I don't know what to say to that! I'm very glad you like my new ring, tho! :wavey:

Hi @DorotheaBrooke - I'm so glad you like it! I mostly considered a small 3 stone, or all sorts of different shaped halos. I thought about doing the petals in pave - both colored and plain - but landed here because I already had all the side stones I've used in the petals, leftover from other projects! So it was a QED scenario, ultimately. And I'm glad you like Cirrus, also. And yes, I love that chair, too! Green is my favorite color, and that room is a beautiful restful spring-y color. :)) When I wear this ring, it will always be on my ring finger, as I wear *all* my rings on that finger. I normally wear a ring for a few days, then switch it out for a different one. I do that continuously, and it suits me fine.

Thanks, @apacherose! The petals sit up off my finger, so I'm able to wear a band with it. I tend to mostly wear any ring where I can wear a wedder with it, as I like looking married. :)) I think I'll have this in my regular rotation, which has 10 rings in it, in total. I wear my 3 stone the most, but I switch it out at least a few times a week. I like the interest factor. :appl:

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
giphy.gif

OMG I'm so happy to see this is your ring! :dance: As soon as I saw it on DK's insta, I was in love and instantly saved it for future design ideas. :love: It has the perfect proportions (no surprise now that I know you designed it). I love the petal shape and I really like how you used three diamonds in each petal (the little ones flanking the larger one just gives it the perfect look). Ugh, I've never been more jealous. :mrgreen2:

ETA: Would you be open to me using this design (or something similar) for a colored gem? I definitely don't want to step on any toes.

Last edited:

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, everyone, for your kind comments! This really is a darling little ring and I like it very much. I should also note here - the AVR was a gift from my god kids last Christmas and the setting is their gift to me this birthday. Sadly, having checked the ring over in person to make sure it's exactly what I wanted, I now have to give it back. :-o

Secondly, Cirrus thanks you for the kind comments. It's pronounced Cirrus like the clouds - not Cyrus or Sirius, as some in his grooming, dog-walking, vet field insist on calling him! Luckily, Cirrus speaks 'treats' and will respond to virtually anyone with a cookie. :))

He's only 1 and a half years old, but is a natural gentleman - soft, affectionate, and floppy whenever you want to pull him over for a cuddle. We haven't started his show career yet, but MUST get onto this. His father was a big time champion, and our groomer (a breeder and handler of Irish setters) refers to him as our 'rock star', as he has so much natural beauty and a lot of promise for the ring. DH and I just need to get off our butts and get him into the ring. Clearly, rings in general are important in our lives!!

mrs-b, what is the issue with the ring that you have to give it back? Does it need a tweak or ???

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results