shape
carat
color
clarity

Is it worth it to overpay to get a very specific setting?

eapj

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This is the setting. It's deceptively simple, but the proportions of it are really important to me including the very slight overlap of the bezels and the small openings in the gallery. I think it's so significant to me because my mom has the same ring, but hers is green stones that I don't care for or I'd just take hers :)

It's from Cross in Maine, and they told me in pretty much no uncertain terms that they only do complete rings - no making settings for other stones, no setting stones from elsewhere. I'm sure they would work with me on getting something in a higher color than the I/J they typically stock, but the price goes up commensurate I'm sure.

I may let this one go, just because I want a better stone. There's other fish in the sea :)

upload_2019-4-12_13-58-11.png

I love that setting. Proportions are important so get the one you want. I drool over Cross items online weekly as I love their classic aesthetic.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is it worth overpaying to some degree to get the setting that seems to only be available here? I am worried if I try to have someone replicate it, that some part of it will always be "off" to me. I do have an original piece from this jeweler that belongs to my mom that I could take detailed measurements of if needed for a design.

The short answer is yes. If you are over the moon happy and in love with this setting and it is perfect for you in every way and you can afford it without hardship then yes I would get exactly the setting you love.

I always prefer going right to the artist to get exactly what I want and not a reproduction or copy. Not only are you getting exactly the piece you love but it's also the most ethical way to go. IMO.

Good luck and I hope you get the ring (setting and diamond) of your dreams.:appl:

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I concur. Get the real deal.

Reactions: D&T

TheBlingleys

Rough_Rock
Get what you really want. The itch will be scratched. For example, I have always wanted a simple knife edge soli with a blingy diamond...I am still trying to find a way to get it. The DH proposed with a beautiful setting...alas....I can’t get the knife edge out of my mind.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would I pay more for what I really wanted and what I could get only from a certain vendor? Yes. It’s not really overpaying if that is the only way to get it and it is worth it to you. If you have to ask and think you are overpaying then it’s not worth it to you.

If you try going a different route you may be unhappy with the result. And then you will feel like it is “worth it” to pay a certain price for getting exactly what you want.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Quite often if you don't get what you want you will not be satisfied thereby paying more to get what you wanted from the very beginning.

dont-settle-for-less-just-because-its-available-24256655.png

firstinstinct.jpg

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I’m with those who say to go for it. I can tell you that certain makers do things others can imitate- but the small details are huge in my eyes.
I remember one time showing one of our Uber settings to a dealer on 47th Street. When I told him what it cost ( a lot) he laughed. “ I can make a ring like that for $1000” he told me.
When I asked him to show me an example I almost barfed. I mean, yes, it was a halo ring but the details were nowhere near what I was showing him.
You’re obviously person with an eye for the details

Congratulations on the promotion- celebrate. We only live once.

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hey there @kb1gra ! I have loved Cross settings for a loooong time. Very many of them are Jabel settings. Jabel are die struck, American made. Check out the Jabel website, and also Bella's Fine Jewlery, they sell Jabel. Jabel can also mix and match different types of heads to shanks. For example Cross' Victory ring is a Jabel, and many others are as I said are a mix and match of different shanks with heads. Bella's is very accomodating with pricing and ability to customise through Jabel.

Thank you so much for that great tip about Jabel!

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I you love it, go for it. You should be able to work with them to select diamonds of your choosing and to your specs. You may pay a bit of a premium, but you'll get the proportions you want. Just use PS parameters and tell them, show me stones that meet these.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
In my experience, it’s worth paying a bit more to get what you want. Whenever I try to go less expensive, I end up spending way more money. It’s like trying to scratch an itch ... try to save money and don’t quite scratch the itch ... then keep spending because the itch is still there ... the itch doesn’t go away until finally caving in and to get what was wanted in the first place, lol.
Could not have said it better!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results