clarity

Karlala and her Ridiculous Diamond Journey - thread #1

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Spring Bling! Love it!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
I’m so sorry about your brother and the ring is a really lovely way to honor his memory.

So glad you love the Stuller setting. Enjoy the ring and wear in good health!

I’ve recently reset my original engagement diamond (0.75ct) in another floral setting that I’m enjoying a lot. Just an idea if u have another smaller diamond lying around. :D

F035EE0D-C43C-41B5-92E2-546C0211517E.jpeg

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
Will do - thanks!

And thanks!!

I’ve asked them twice! lol

I would really like to know how I can be so smart sometimes and be so stupid other times!!! It’s so confusing! lol

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
I’m so sorry about your brother and the ring is a really lovely way to honor his memory.

So glad you love the Stuller setting. Enjoy the ring and wear in good health!

I’ve recently reset my original engagement diamond (0.75ct) in another floral setting that I’m enjoying a lot. Just an idea if u have another smaller diamond lying around. :D

F035EE0D-C43C-41B5-92E2-546C0211517E.jpeg

Hi @icy-jade! Thank you! And thank you again for your help a few months ago! I absolutely LOVE your new setting! Haha, it would be funny if I had another diamond and went for that setting, hahaha ... maybe would send us both into therapy, lol. Do you still have your 2 carat in the Stuller floral? I went back to your original post and saw that you were originally going to go custom and that it was temporary for you ... dId you get a custom ring?

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks lovely on your hand :love:

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:love: The setting

Dmndsr4evr11

Brilliant_Rock
Whoa! Beautiful, @kmoro !! So happy to see hand pics!!

Dmndsr4evr11

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Everyone!

First, I just want to thank you all for the advice and help that you share with anyone who wants to know! I would never have ended up with such a pretty diamond that I am so pleased with! Being on these boards for the last few months, I have read many posts and see there are a whole lot of fabulous people here.

Anyway, here is my Ridiculous Diamond Journey:

I think I started liking diamonds because of my mom. We always shopped the jewelry store windows, especially looking at the diamond rings. My mother always wanted a diamond ring. By the time she was older and my parents could afford some luxury items, she refused to get one, saying that her hands were too old and ugly. Instead ... she bought me some bling a couple of times ... always modest pieces, but I still have them all today. I think the funniest one was when my best friend got engaged at 20, and my mother went out and bought me an aquamarine and diamond ring, afraid I would just get engaged just to get a diamond ring, lol.

Over the next few decades, I was engaged a couple of times. At each break-up - back went the ring (except one where he insisted I keep it). I got married but when that didn’t work out ... I was struggling and ended up pawning it.

About 10 years ago I bought a 1.05 carat G VS1. My brother, who had by this time been buying SIL huge bling, gave me unending grief over not buying a D FL, lol. At first, I thought he was joking. We discussed the four Cs and I realized that he wasn’t joking. But he was like that - everything had to be the best of the best ... and he could afford it. Eventually, I sold that 1.05 carat diamond ... and was actually heartbroken. I beat myself up over how heartbroken I felt ... it was ... ridiculous.

My brother passed away last year and left me a lot of stuff ... he didn’t make me rich, but suddenly, I can afford a few expensive things.

I thought about buying another diamond and having it set in a solitaire .. then decided it was too expensive. I still wanted some bling, So I bought these (1.25 ctw in 14k white gold)

F32341DE-E4D9-4E5F-9A7E-34F19269121B.jpeg

A couple of months went by ... I wasn’t really feeling like I had the diamond thing I wanted. So I bought these (.90 ctw, G, IF (before PS ok!!!)):

55AE4CA0-FDAE-4915-9A3E-15EAD3245E40.jpeg

(Sorry these pictures aren’t very good)

Yeah! The earrings were nice ... I liked them better because the diamonds were a bit bigger. I wear them all the time. Except for the fact that they are IF (grrrr), I really love them. But ... I can’t look at them all the time since they are in my ears. I still felt like I needed a diamond.

So ... then I bought this (.62, D, IF - again before PS ... later found it scored 1.4 on HCA):

ADD7B738-BC82-46E5-814F-9BF13D164A83.jpeg

Another but ... I really wanted something around a carat. I was having a hard time with the price tag. I friend said what ... you’re wasting your money on the thing you don’t REALLY want. I returned the .62 for a refund and decided to go for something just over a carat.

That’s when I re-found PS. I remembered it from many years ago but somehow did not remember/find it when I started my solitaire search. I posted an AGS diamond ... or two (I can’t remember exactly now) ... got some mixed opinions - it was ok because AGS0 but not super-ideal ... then got on the super-ideal band-wagon. I started to look at diamonds on Whiteflash.

I found a beautiful ACA, D color (because of my brother) 1.21 (approx. - can’t quite remember the weight now) VVS1 (also because of my brother ... couldn’t quite bring myself to FL, lol) and ordered it. While I was waiting ... I upgraded to a D 1.424 VVS2 (still close to my brother’s FL but at a value I can live with) ACA. I still wonder how many people upgrade while waiting, lol. I guess I started to think maybe I could get away with something closer to 1.5 carats, and thought 1.424 would be a good value as it was just under. I watched the video and seemed a bit more spectacular than the other diamond. I found a setting, ordered that ... it was all good, I settled in for the four week wait.

I did that, all in my typical internet shopping style - educated myself as much as possible and spoke to no one, lol.

Eventually, I got this (1.424 ACA in A. Jaffe platinum setting):

D538FD75-9A84-4D41-A794-C0B295760151.jpeg 911C9A10-2BE2-4A7D-90A9-D02FFEE00662.jpeg

I loved loved loved the ACA! Oh my gosh! I know most go for more size, but I got the ring in “Memory of Wil Moro,” I wanted the diamond to be among the best of the best, rare and a bit over the top - just like my brother. Except ... I noticed the diamond took on a blue hue a lot of the time .... I knew that AGS “negligible” did include fluorescence up to just under medium but took my chances, thinking maybe, at the most, it would be faint.

But then I found this:

75B2D2C7-27E9-4F58-846B-05D37100B6F9.jpeg

Hmmmm. This looked pretty close to medium to me. This would be fine - it’s a beautiful blue - except ... I just didn’t like the blue tone that the diamond took ... a lot more often than expected. Also, I felt that I didn’t get the best value ... for example, if I had it graded by GIA and it came back as “faint” or “medium,” this would decrease the market value. Don’t get me wrong - I’m not trying to put down the preference for fluorescence, but if I wanted it, I would have gone for a BGD Blue, where the diamond had been screened for any ill effects, and where I got the price advantage. Suddenly, it was obvious that I, the ultimate internet shopper, should have interacted with a person after all, and I should have asked them to check the diamond for me. Oooops!

However, there I was with this fabulous upgrade policy. I checked the site ... thinking the 1.424 didn’t look too large for everyday wear ... maybe I could go a bit bigger ... I discovered the thing ... bigger diamonds are more beautiful to me. I didn’t see anything on the site that I wanted. I placed a notification request for a diamond with the spec’s that I wanted ... D, VVS2, around 1.6 - 1.75 carat. I don’t have the smallest finger size, but I do have small hands, social circle, blah blah. I just feel best staying under two carats for everyday and Safeway, lol.

Whiteflash checked with the cutters and let me know that there was nothing with my preferences in the works. They offered the custom cut in three size ranges ... I picked the 1.7 - 1.75 option. And waited. And waited. I didn’t just wait, I waited in the worst way possible. I worried and stressed. I second-guessed everything. When the images came in, I worried about them too. I had just worked myself into that state. My poor Whiteflash rep became half counsellor, lol. Magen did a fantastic job of dealing with me! I give her a ton of credit.

While I was waiting, I was heavily critiquing my setting. I liked it a lot. From the top it was all about the diamond, with a thin and slightly tapered band, four prongs NSEW ... some melee on the side ... really loved it ... just felt like it looked .... not quite right for my hand.

Then @icy_jade posted a pic of her ring .. a floral Stuller setting. I fell in love with it. I noticed that her two carat diamond was set slightly higher in the setting, making the petals look more like an outline than a main feature (the way it looks on the Stuller site). I didn’t think that Whiteflash dealt with Stuller (duh, again, I should have asked - because they do!) ... so I sourced the setting through Good Old Gold, where David did an outstanding job for me. He was also part counsellor and an amazing human being. I got the setting for with a 7.4 mm head, knowing my diamond would be slightly bigger and would sit slightly higher, the way that I wanted. I sent the setting to Whiteflash so that they could set the new diamond when it came in.

FINALLY, IT HAPPENED!!! I received my new ring!!!! I LOVE my new diamond that Whiteflash sourced - before it was cut, I was assured the diamond had no fluorescence... and it doesn’t.

During the whole process, the entire Whiteflash team went above and beyond any expected level of customer service! They sent me chocolates for my birthday and flowers when my daughter was in the hospital! They sent me a gorgeous trinket tray as a thank you! Even Bryan was personally involved. They continue to back me up with JM. Just an amazing, amazing team!!

I have to give a shout out to David at Good Old Gold as well ... I had complained about my bad hips and being housebound - he sent me a sticker by number book to keep occupied!

Amazing experience!! Thank you to EVERYONE involved - and that includes the PS family!!!!

That concludes my Ridiculous Diamond Journey.

Apparently, I can’t attach more than 10 pictures to a message, so here are four pics ... I’ll have to do separate threads for the rest ... I’ve got about 40!!! I hope you all don’t mind!!! I am REALLY showing you the bling, lol.

DCAE5514-1D0F-46C7-89F1-9C5B77E303D5.jpeg 55CB0CE9-F625-45EB-87E3-283452846C1C.jpeg 04F87D04-4B72-4417-A085-CD9C66F5FE51.jpeg 51823E68-0723-4634-AC4B-517B22966464.jpeg [/QUO

Beautiful ring, @kmoro ! So happy to see hand pics :). Lovely hand and nails! Are you going to wear it on your middle finger all the time? I’m so sorry about your brother. Take care.

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock

Thank you! I do plan on wearing it on my middle finger all the time .... it’s not an engagement ring ... I could wear it on the ring finger of my right hand, but from past experience, a ring on my dominant hand takes quite a beating and I want to wear the ring for everyday ... it’s not ideal, but it works :wavey:

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Hi @icy-jade! Thank you! And thank you again for your help a few months ago! I absolutely LOVE your new setting! Haha, it would be funny if I had another diamond and went for that setting, hahaha ... maybe would send us both into therapy, lol. Do you still have your 2 carat in the Stuller floral? I went back to your original post and saw that you were originally going to go custom and that it was temporary for you ... dId you get a custom ring?

I’m still undecided but unlikely to go custom as am mulling over changing to another 2 carat, or doing a 3 stone, or halo-Ing the heck out of the current stone is a possibility too...

You can see from below how different the 0.75 look after resetting.
7C2D5F16-2D56-42BB-837A-8EE9A86821DF.jpeg

When I was picking out the settings I also saw a few ready made 2 carat settings. Like this massive halo at very reasonable price... (much much less than the Stuller setting)
E78709C6-8031-4ADD-9AB5-7CD156F33D59.jpeg

So I was like... hmm o_O

But thought it was almost too blingy so didn’t make the reset.

Pls excuse the super dirty diamonds :P2

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
I’m still undecided but unlikely to go custom as am mulling over changing to another 2 carat, or doing a 3 stone, or halo-Ing the heck out of the current stone is a possibility too...

You can see from below how different the 0.75 look after resetting.
7C2D5F16-2D56-42BB-837A-8EE9A86821DF.jpeg

When I was picking out the settings I also saw a few ready made 2 carat settings. Like this massive halo at very reasonable price... (much much less than the Stuller setting)
E78709C6-8031-4ADD-9AB5-7CD156F33D59.jpeg

So I was like... hmm o_O

But thought it was almost too blingy so didn’t make the reset.

Pls excuse the super dirty diamonds :P2

Yup - the new setting for the .75 is perfect! I’m surprised that that other setting is much much less than the Stuller setting ... I though the Stuller one was quite reasonable, lol. I guess I should shop more. That is quite a blingy halo ... but really, really, pretty!

Congrats on the new setting and I hope you post a lot of pictures once you decide what to do with the other one!

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
I would like to thank you all for your kind words!

When my brother knew he was very ill, he told me not to be sad for him. He said “I had a fantastic run, Karla” ... and you know, he really did. He was a VP at several banks around the Middle East - most of all in Bahrain and Saudi Arabia. He travelled all over the world with his wife of 30 years, whom he loved very much. They didn’t have children but always had Shelties, always trained to perfection with hand signals ... the dogs usually travelled with them and won at quite a few dog shows ... one of his dogs in particular won some super prize. He loved his job ... he had a lot of power and had the ego to go with it ... and he was so stubborn but it was the good stubborn, if anyone can understand that. A great wit and sense of humour. He had the freedom and the means to do whatever he liked. They built a vacation home in the SE Spanish country-side and planned to retire there. But after he lost his wife to cancer, he just couldn’t get it together again. A year after that he had a massive stroke ... but survived against his will (literally) and was quite angry about it. He was still independent but was never able to be happy again. He drank a lot and hoped it would kill him in three years ... it took six. He called it The Plan, and it ripped my heart out every time he mentioned it.

So I remind myself that he told me not to be sad and that he really did have an incredible life for many, many years. He was fortunate for all of those years too - no major set backs - just living the great life in the Bahamas, if you know what I mean. He really wanted to die. As sad as this is, it gives me comfort.

I hope it’s ok that I posted that. I’m not really sure why I did except I’m feeling a bit melancholy. I suppose after a big long personal back story it doesn’t really make much difference, lol.

I hope that this ring becomes an heirloom ... he has no children but if some descendent from my kids somewhere along the line looks at the inscription and says, “Who the heck was Wil Moro?” that would be enough for me.

My point is (what, there’s a point?) - this is a happy diamond!!! It’s not a sad mourning diamond! This is a celebration of life diamond ring, and I thank you all for letting me share my story and my brother with you! :kiss2:

:wavey:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would like to thank you all for your kind words!

When my brother knew he was very ill, he told me not to be sad for him. He said “I had a fantastic run, Karla” ... and you know, he really did. He was a VP at several banks around the Middle East - most of all in Bahrain and Saudi Arabia. He travelled all over the world with his wife of 30 years, whom he loved very much. They didn’t have children but always had Shelties, always trained to perfection with hand signals ... the dogs usually travelled with them and won at quite a few dog shows ... one of his dogs in particular won some super prize. He loved his job ... he had a lot of power and had the ego to go with it ... and he was so stubborn but it was the good stubborn, if anyone can understand that. A great wit and sense of humour. He had the freedom and the means to do whatever he liked. They built a vacation home in the SE Spanish country-side and planned to retire there. But after he lost his wife to cancer, he just couldn’t get it together again. A year after that he had a massive stroke ... but survived against his will (literally) and was quite angry about it. He was still independent but was never able to be happy again. He drank a lot and hoped it would kill him in three years ... it took six. He called it The Plan, and it ripped my heart out every time he mentioned it.

So I remind myself that he told me not to be sad and that he really did have an incredible life for many, many years. He was fortunate for all of those years too - no major set backs - just living the great life in the Bahamas, if you know what I mean. He really wanted to die. As sad as this is, it gives me comfort.

I hope it’s ok that I posted that. I’m not really sure why I did except I’m feeling a bit melancholy. I suppose after a big long personal back story it doesn’t really make much difference, lol.

I hope that this ring becomes an heirloom ... he has no children but if some descendent from my kids somewhere along the line looks at the inscription and says, “Who the heck was Wil Moro?” that would be enough for me.

My point is (what, there’s a point?) - this is a happy diamond!!! It’s not a sad mourning diamond! This is a celebration of life diamond ring, and I thank you all for letting me share my story and my brother with you! :kiss2:

:wavey:

A life well lived is the best life of all - I like his story and thank you for sharing. It can make our baubles all the more appreciated and understood when we hear the stories behind them!

mermaid

Rough_Rock
How’s that, you guys???? I hope you enjoy the pictures more than you are annoyed by the amount of them!!!!

Much love to you all - and may all your diamond dreams come true! In a less ridiculous way!

And I can only fit two glam shots:
----
I so enjoyed reading your diamond journey! Your ring and diamond are simply stunning. The ring looks gorgeous on your finger and I hope you keep smiling whenever you look at your custom made ring. :D

Crystal_Dreams

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This is stunning!!! What a fireball! I couldn’t see the floral outline in the first photos because of all that fire!

I LOVE that setting on you. I’m partial to floral outlines and this is just perfect! I’m so glad you have something beautiful to remember your brother by. I am sorry that he’s gone, but he also made it clear that he did so by his choice... and this was what he wanted. He sounds like he had an amazing life and was very lucky in many ways. Your ring is a beautiful way to remember him :) enjoy it in good health!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a gorgeous ring! :love: I really enjoyed your story. I am glad you were able to get a very fine quality and beautiful diamond ring to honor your brother's memory. I can't think of a better choice!:appl:

AV_

Ideal_Rock
If D/VVS were a life! Your will & way to remember is D/FL.

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you so much! All of your kind words are so appreciated!

upload_2019-4-26_4-29-55.gif

Added a few more pictures from today but they’re starting to get pretty boring ... I mean, at some point, it’s just the same ring and you all have gorgeous diamonds of your own! It’s so hard to take a good photo of a diamond ... especially when so not a photographer ... but here are a bunch of fire shots anyway! .. it’s like having a new baby, lol

3F3855E4-24A1-4D9A-9EF6-C4B28FD90C57.jpeg B8936AA9-D0C6-4922-8C4D-00623634992F.jpeg 6C7C5CE1-DF6B-4C74-8CDA-38D2DFB62542.jpeg 13A8EC20-6E6E-45E5-9B13-33FCDEBAA0B4.jpeg 5D63BCD3-4FCD-4CAB-B6E9-32CECF209A1D.jpeg 60459590-38B6-40F9-BB71-E8A2F3B091F3.jpeg F73230EC-1DC8-4287-9C7B-53C170ED87DC.jpeg 21ACD8CA-B191-432F-8CCD-CA167EE055F9.jpeg 030273FD-13E4-4C28-B049-EA588616CFF1.jpeg

Reactions: AV_
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results