shape
carat
color
clarity

Help evaluating with ruby ring or loose ruby/spinel ?

voce

Ideal_Rock
I thought @lovedogs bought a red spinel. I did, too, but mine was <1ct, and hers was >1ct. She set hers in a gorgeous convertible pendant/ring. Is that the one you were thinking of?

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hey @voce just checked and they are really beautiful stones but just not the one I was thinking of :confused: seemed to remember it was not a normal vendor and they had others that were coming in. Hmmm

Edit. Yes you were right it was @lovedogs! Honestly My brain is struggling today. OP those threads might be worth a look at.

Last edited:

PriscaSinclair

Rough_Rock
Thanks TL! Trial by FIRE I guess or should I say trial by RUBY :)
And it helps that this stuff is really fascinating.
Its like another world operating where people really know what's going on. (and they will tell you the truth! I love that!) Im so lucky I found this forum.
Really like that 2.18ct spinel. (Sale ends tonight... ugh no pressure!) But such a nice stone, so bright and over 2 carats! But it has no certification like Voce was talking about and I think I would want that ... surely this guy with beautiful gems would not be selling synthetic spinels? I guess I could get the AGL certification on my own later. There. Easy Peasy! Because I don't have to worry about certifying oil, lead, glass, composite, or heat treatments with spinels, its just either natural or man made right?
That keeps it really simple. o_O
I think.

PriscaSinclair

Rough_Rock
OOh thanks Meely for that thread Ill go read up on that !

voce

Ideal_Rock
@PriscaSinclair I think with the 30% off, Gary's prices are reasonable. I think he's a reputable vendor who would probably take the stone back if AGL doesn't find it as expected.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@PriscaSinclair I think with the 30% off, Gary's prices are reasonable. I think he's a reputable vendor who would probably take the stone back if AGL doesn't find it as expected.
I would contact Gary and ask him about the feasibility of getting an AGL report, and agree upon terms. So (for example), I'm 100% sure that he will agree that you can return if it's found to be synthetic/filled with glass/etc.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks TL! Trial by FIRE I guess or should I say trial by RUBY :)
And it helps that this stuff is really fascinating.
Its like another world operating where people really know what's going on. (and they will tell you the truth! I love that!) Im so lucky I found this forum.
Really like that 2.18ct spinel. (Sale ends tonight... ugh no pressure!) But such a nice stone, so bright and over 2 carats! But it has no certification like Voce was talking about and I think I would want that ... surely this guy with beautiful gems would not be selling synthetic spinels? I guess I could get the AGL certification on my own later. There. Easy Peasy! Because I don't have to worry about certifying oil, lead, glass, composite, or heat treatments with spinels, its just either natural or man made right?
That keeps it really simple. o_O
I think.
I would go for the inexpensive AGL gen brief. That should tell you if it’s synthetic or not. It’s always good to trust but verify. You don’t want to spend another thousand dollars on a lab report if it isn’t necessary. The gem brief is much more affordable. If it were a ruby worth several thousand dollars, then I would go for that expensive full agl prestige report.

http://aglgemlab.com/gembrief

Last edited:

PriscaSinclair

Rough_Rock
Yes the cheaper AGL report would be great! I just talked to Gary about an hour ago and he’s said he’s not sure I will be happy with the Rhodolite garnet (in general) because in the light it’s darker than the spinel and without the fluorescence - but he would be happy to try to find some in that raspberry color I like. I need to find some Rhodolite in real life I think to look at and see if it’s as pretty in person as it was in that picture. And also the 2.18 carat spinel that he had has been sold!
My hubby said that’s what happens when you don’t pull the trigger. But I was just trying not to be impulsive! Oooo finding balance is so hard.
Alas I know the fates must have another stone in mind for me! I think I’m going to catch up on some reading (threads) and then try to find some other spinels! Gary has more in my price range but not in that size ...which I kind of liked :)

voce

Ideal_Rock
Yes the cheaper AGL report would be great! I just talked to Gary about an hour ago and he’s said he’s not sure I will be happy with the Rhodolite garnet (in general) because in the light it’s darker than the spinel and without the fluorescence - but he would be happy to try to find some in that raspberry color I like. I need to find some Rhodolite in real life I think to look at and see if it’s as pretty in person as it was in that picture. And also the 2.18 carat spinel that he had has been sold!
My hubby said that’s what happens when you don’t pull the trigger. But I was just trying not to be impulsive! Oooo finding balance is so hard.
Alas I know the fates must have another stone in mind for me! I think I’m going to catch up on some reading (threads) and then try to find some other spinels! Gary has more in my price range but not in that size ...which I kind of liked :)
Yeah, I sympathize with finding balance on when/if to pull the trigger. I have a red spinel that's getting set that was a rookie mistake purchase. I was hungry for a larger red colored stone after getting inspired by lovedogs' thread.

It was originally 2.22 ct and a nice size but a wonky cut...and pretty included. I didn't ask for more pictures from the vendor (for example, in sun, not just in shade) and although it truly was a stoplight red, there was no fluorescence, and the ugly cut just really bothered me. However, I felt bad for the vendor and did not send it back to India for a refund, but instead decided to go for a recut. When the cutter was polishing the girdle, it started chipping, so now I have a .97 ct red spinel. However, I still find it beautiful in a flawed way, and have sent it to be set by Ivy and Rose.

Please, as you embark on this search, do not make my mistake and go for what appears to be "value". If the stone could be improved without risk, the seller would've done it already to sell the stone for more.

PriscaSinclair

Rough_Rock
Wow Im sorry to hear of that first spinel experience you had Voce, sounds like you got it worked out in the end but STILL. Thats kind of a lot to go through. I was thinking about Ivy and Rose too! I read about them somewhere on here.
I will try not to be too much of a value hunter....but those spinels can get so pricey so its hard not to look for a deal! It made Gary's sale look really sweet.
I have not ruled out those Rhodolite garnets either. I can still fall back to my birthstone if the spinel route just doesn't pan out. Its nice to have good options to fall back on and I certainly don't want to turn a fun thing like a new ring into a frustrating experience because of my own unrealistic expectations! Your story makes me feel better about not rushing into anything.

voce

Ideal_Rock
I personally feel like if the spinel or whatever gemstone is less than $1000, and it's a reputable vendor, I don't need to have a lab report with it. It's just that red spinel can be priced very high.

These are some of my best selections for you from Etsy, all well within $3000. Grouped by variety, then within each variety by my personal order of preference.

I found one in the ruby camp! I expect this one to be heated, but boy is this color beautiful!

Next, two tourmalines. There is a stunning one from TheGemstoneProject, and a raspberry one from GranGem.

Then, the spinels, because there are plenty and plenty of spinels. There are many from Aureliagems, and one of the yummiest red color spinels of theirs would be this. There is also this one I had saved from Wilson Brothers, an antiques dealer in North Carolina. The certificate is from 1982, so that wouldn't really be worth much, especially since you have to break the wax seal if you want to set it in a ring. But it's a nice size.

Finally, if you are considering rhodolite garnets, please take a look at these offerings from Kosnar Gem. They have a variety of rhodolite colors and cuts. Enjoy these pretty pictures, even if you buy none of them. :geek2:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just a word if caution on red tourmaline, or rubellite.

It’s not an everyday wear stone.
It’s often irradiated, and the treatment is not detectable.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
@PriscaSinclair i went to pick up my paraiba ring today and looked at rubies at my jeweller. He has a loose 1.53ct, 7.7x6x3.5mm (locally certified as vivid red, unheated) for <2k so I took some photos.

Some pics included just for gratuitous viewing haha. @T L @mellowyellowgirl @voce

The stone has a window which I think will be minimized upon setting... not sure if you can tell but the loose ruby in the temp ring holder is more crystal while mine is more silky...
C1ED941E-2CCC-4006-8C9A-0BA38C41BB41.jpeg 8699FF5E-9301-4675-9FB9-C6BE7AA9A2D1.jpeg

With another unheated 2ct pinkish red ruby set in pendant.
BB9FC436-75F8-44D2-BAA5-EF9F4C30FA01.jpeg

My ruby glowed at me again heh
3F95210F-2E4C-48C0-914D-5AD6853A8F7A.jpeg

Two orangey mahenge spinels
F2AEC180-F773-423A-9780-7B903F336F5F.jpeg 6F9B2872-6E4A-4EB9-AFD3-DBD27E61650B.jpeg 6AC81D68-B042-4933-98D6-377CD36D9CA5.jpeg

Cute aquamarine earrings. Like them despite windows but really too sweet/girlish for me.
8F424944-E43A-467C-BDBD-8CC4D1208D65.jpeg 2143DC74-2760-4B11-A918-DDF22B8F7794.jpeg

Last pic!
9E2F8E83-1508-49C5-BE31-1758B943B3EF.jpeg

PriscaSinclair

Rough_Rock
Wow Voce that 1.05 ct spinel you posted! Shes so delicious that's was my favorite of all of them!! I want to compare it to this one -
https://www.finewatergems.com/store/p284/1.19_ct_Burmese_Red_Spinel.html

ok so here is the Etsy one that voce just sent

https://www.etsy.com/listing/585520803/spinel-105-cts-loose-natural-gemstone?ref=user_profile&frs=1

If you (pretend) Gary's 30% sale is still on, they would be comparable in cost. I see a difference in color a bit but couldn't that just be the light or the angle or the flash or ??? If I had to chose I think I like the Etsy one that Voce sent better. Is the one from Gary orangey? How do you know if the Esty one has fluorescence?

I do love the raspberry color rubellites! But I can't chance spending any money on an irradiated stone (thanks TL!) At least not until I have bought the natural one I am looking for. That color is lovely though for sure.
And Icy Jade that was so nice of you to take pics and you have such pretty hands! There are like 6 rings in that case that I think are great. We moved out to the country here in the midwest so I have to really drive to see rings in person. And the places I have been don't have anywhere close to the nice selections you are viewing. (mostly mall stores) Its so good to be able to compare that top ruby with your queen ring on your fourth finger. In fact having all those rings on your hand really helps me to see how the slightly different shades of red look because you are about the same fair skinned as me!
The earrings are cute and the light blue is very delicate looking but I agree they are too girly for me as well. I think bows are huge in style though right now in the fashion industry as well.

( Quick intermission ) Ok guys I have a few really dumb questions I'm afraid I have to embarrass myself and ask since I have never been in a forum before. Why do you use an ampersand before peoples names? Does it notify them or something that you have said something to them or is it just to stand out better because? Sorry such a dumb question but I probably need to learn these things.

So I have another question too about the spinel that I think HWM sent to us?
https://loupetroop.com/listings/loo...el-mahenge-tanzania-agl-prestige-report;28327

Hwm said they passed on it because it was a bit too dark, a touch of orange and no fluorescence. (That was super helpful by the way) Does it have no fluorescence because of the way it's cut or are stones just 'born' that way either with or without fluorescence?

Thank you all for being so patient with me!!

voce

Ideal_Rock
If you (pretend) Gary's 30% sale is still on, they would be comparable in cost. I see a difference in color a bit but couldn't that just be the light or the angle or the flash or ??? If I had to chose I think I like the Etsy one that Voce sent better. Is the one from Gary orangey? How do you know if the Esty one has fluorescence?
I don't think the one from Gary looks orangey. The Etsy one is definitely more of a pinkish red, and the one from Gary is a visually pure stop light red. You can simply send a message to the Etsy vendor and ask for fluorescent pictures. I inquired about the orangey red Mahenge spinel a few weeks ago, and she sent me a video of how that one looked under a UV torch.

Why do you use an ampersand before peoples names? Does it notify them or something that you have said something to them or is it just to stand out better because?
I call "@" the "at sign"; maybe there's an official term for it, but I always thought "&" is what is called an ampersand. We use the @ symbol because doing so sends a notification to that user that their name was mentioned, and they can click on the notification to come to the post directly.

Does it have no fluorescence because of the way it's cut or are stones just 'born' that way either with or without fluorescence?
Fluorescence is definitely something stones have to be "born" with, since the effect is caused by chromium (in rubies and spinels, at least) in the crystal lattice structure. Be aware, though, that synthetics can be grown with fluorescence that can outstrip natural fluorescent stones.

goops sorry clicked the wrong thing I mean to include this link to the ruby Voce sent:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/689070627/110ct-cushion-cut-ruby?ref=user_profile&frs=1

If its heated during the cutting process is that different or something from a heat treated ruby?

TBH "heated during the cutting process" is not typically a thing the seller would mention. I would personally treat it no differently than heat treated ruby. It is not clear whether the seller has a clear handle on how the ruby was heated during cutting.

From my understanding of it, when you cut a gemstone, especially something that's harder like a ruby, you are pushing the blade of one hard substance against another, at a high RPM. This results in a lot of pressure and friction, and friction creates heat. However, I would only expect this heat from cutting to affect the outer edges of the stone the blade has touched. The degree of heating that happens could also depend on the cutter's technique and methods (whether he/she uses a lubricant, for instance).

If the seller had unheated rough that they gave to a cutter, and then got it back from the cutter and it tested as heated, then it's perfectly valid to say it was heated during the cutting process. To the seller's mind, this heating is clearly different from heating the entire stone for days just to get a more desirable color. However, for the purposes of resale, if the stone no longer tests as unheated, unfortunately the unheated price premium is no longer there.

Reactions: T L

PriscaSinclair

Rough_Rock
@voce Thank you for explaining all that! And YES l I can’t believe I typed ampersand (I actually meant alphasand in my head ) but yes the “at” sign is what it really is. Oh all this looking at red stones and my brain is getting fuzzy. I actually got a headache staring at the screen yesterday and did I stop looking looking at stones? No. I just switched to looking at some emeralds since the color is more soothing to my eyes.
:)

voce

Ideal_Rock
Prisca, going through my Etsy favorites list, I totally decided to go for a red spinel that I thought was priced like a great deal. Hoping I will love it, but if I don't, I could offer it to you at cost.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Prisca, going through my Etsy favorites list, I totally decided to go for a red spinel that I thought was priced like a great deal. Hoping I will love it, but if I don't, I could offer it to you at cost.
inquiring minds need to know what you bought!

voce

Ideal_Rock
The proprietors of Pristine Gemstones on Etsy are having a retirement sale, 20 percent off everything, and this little gem caught my eye. It may be orange IRL but it looks good for the price. https://www.etsy.com/listing/485115...73-x-56mm?ref=shop_home_active_20&pro=1&frs=1

il_794xN.1061259394_19uu.jpg That red spinel from Pristine Gemstones.

@lovedogs @PriscaSinclair this was it. I still think the other gems I posted are better, but this was the one I was prepared to spend my money on, after I missed my chance at a preloved stone lot costing around the same.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@PriscaSinclair i went to pick up my paraiba ring today and looked at rubies at my jeweller. He has a loose 1.53ct, 7.7x6x3.5mm (locally certified as vivid red, unheated) for <2k so I took some photos.

Some pics included just for gratuitous viewing haha. @T L @mellowyellowgirl @voce

The stone has a window which I think will be minimized upon setting... not sure if you can tell but the loose ruby in the temp ring holder is more crystal while mine is more silky...
C1ED941E-2CCC-4006-8C9A-0BA38C41BB41.jpeg 8699FF5E-9301-4675-9FB9-C6BE7AA9A2D1.jpeg

With another unheated 2ct pinkish red ruby set in pendant.
BB9FC436-75F8-44D2-BAA5-EF9F4C30FA01.jpeg

My ruby glowed at me again heh
3F95210F-2E4C-48C0-914D-5AD6853A8F7A.jpeg

Two orangey mahenge spinels
F2AEC180-F773-423A-9780-7B903F336F5F.jpeg 6F9B2872-6E4A-4EB9-AFD3-DBD27E61650B.jpeg 6AC81D68-B042-4933-98D6-377CD36D9CA5.jpeg

Cute aquamarine earrings. Like them despite windows but really too sweet/girlish for me.
8F424944-E43A-467C-BDBD-8CC4D1208D65.jpeg 2143DC74-2760-4B11-A918-DDF22B8F7794.jpeg

Last pic!
9E2F8E83-1508-49C5-BE31-1758B943B3EF.jpeg

Wow thank you. I will have to go pay your jeweler a visit.

I have spent the first half of this year barely hanging in there again. But I hope the second half I will get some more 'me time', and maybe some bling :love:. The sapphire at the top right looks like a gorgeous colour.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Riouxrocks has a 2.1 ct Burma spinel. It’s in your budget. He may still have it, and it’s more of a hot pink, but it may qualify for you. I never bought anything from him, but I thought it was worth mentioning. He has many very beautiful precision cut gems at reasonable fair prices. Check on his return policy.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BsvUodaBZ6r/?igshid=1q9jn69qwm2lg

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Riouxrocks has a 2.1 ct Burma spinel. It’s in your budget. He may still have it, and it’s more of a hot pink, but it may qualify for you. I never bought anything from him, but I thought it was worth mentioning. He has many very beautiful precision cut gems at reasonable fair prices. Check on his return policy.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BsvUodaBZ6r/?igshid=1q9jn69qwm2lg
I haven't purchased from him but we've spoken about stones a few times. From what I can tell he's super friendly, honest, open, and very willing to answer questions. Just FYI that I wouldn't have any issues ordering from him if he had something I wanted.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I haven't purchased from him but we've spoken about stones a few times. From what I can tell he's super friendly, honest, open, and very willing to answer questions. Just FYI that I wouldn't have any issues ordering from him if he had something I wanted.
Some PSers have purchased from him with no issues. He’s located in Alaska I believe.

PriscaSinclair

Rough_Rock
@voce I am so excited you bought a spinel! It looks really red and lovely I can't wait to hear what you think about it in person! I bet you will love it ...from what I can see its pretty sweet. @TL thank you for posting that sparkly eye candy! AND its over 2 carats (which I really like I must admit but I don't want to be greedy) and I like really the pinky reds more than those orange reds. That stone is now a top contender in my list for sure. I will be sure to ask about the return policy. That guy has some pretty stuff.
Have to drive to the city tomorrow to take our dog in for a complicated surgery on her rear end (omg the stuff we do for our animals) So since Im going to be there anyway I thought maybe I could spend some time finding some jewelry stores to peruse. I still want to learn about those raspberry Rhodolites that seem so pretty in pictures. I would like to see one in real life.

voce

Ideal_Rock
Best wishes for your furbaby recovering from that surgery speedily, and enjoy your time perusing the jewelry!

PriscaSinclair

Rough_Rock
Thanks Voce! She tolerates me (mostly because I have been feeding her for 12 years) but she ADORES my husband and I know that secretly he's fretting the whole thing.
Anyway, I just got off he phone with finewater gems (I really like that guy) and he is emailing me a video in different lighting of some spinels to compare. I have been talking to him over the past couple of days because the hubby likes his 1.19 ct spinel (if he will still honor that original sale price). And He's been more than patient with me like you guys lol!
Garys opinion is that 2.18 ct spinel that I lost was just a slight bit more orange than the 1.19 ct spinel. He mentioned he likes the cut of the 1.59 gem a little better than the 1.19. (Man I can't tell these things) The 1.59 is actually over my budget even if he still honors that 30% sale price, so I were to splurge I would have to wait a few months to be able to set it. Im ok with that Im patient. He was also kind enough to say I could get either one with an AGL certificate too (because he's sending another stone in to them soon anyway.)

Any thoughts on those ?

https://www.finewatergems.com/store/p284/1.19_ct_Burmese_Red_Spinel.html

https://www.finewatergems.com/store/p287/1.59_ct_Burmese_Red_Spinel.html

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results