shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions Please w This Big Bad OEC

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock
27DFD4CF-4A6C-4E52-9AE5-4FE61F002A37.jpeg D0245C55-8F17-4CAD-AB14-C18AA4ED7300.jpeg 62E357C6-CB6F-4A2D-A32F-4570DB28B90D.png 4EF28CCE-6943-4565-BC57-F79E7C967EFC.png 3D1680FA-2759-48FB-9E90-4FCE67EB1301.png 7584C55A-209C-40C9-BD87-98FE6F873E5D.png Hi all- I am looking at EC’s but stumbled upon this and am trying to figure out how to get the video load so you can see it. It looks very nice but seems to be dark in the center where the flower is. I’m not knowledgeable w OEC’s (at all) but can show you a few photos... It’s a big girl (4ct) and looks white to me. The bottom right is what I keep seeing. When it was moving left to right (it would tend to disappear) but then again, it wasn’t face forward o_O I’ll try to get the video posted. Any feedback is greatly appreciated. PS: I think my favorite is a checkerboard affect (does this come from a small/non to medium cutlet)? I would also like to bezel it... pS. The first 2 photos are what I was originally hoping for w regard to a “checkerboard” pattern and the second with the “brightness” in the center... I also feel like I seem to be drawn to cushiony shapes but w OEC checkerboard pattern. Hahahhaha. If there is such a thing. Or perhaps something a little quirky! But bright and beautiful and w out a big cutlet. Thank you everyone.

GIA L/VS1
Table:50
Depth:59
Cutlet:Large
Polish:Good

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock
27DFD4CF-4A6C-4E52-9AE5-4FE61F002A37.jpeg D0245C55-8F17-4CAD-AB14-C18AA4ED7300.jpeg 62E357C6-CB6F-4A2D-A32F-4570DB28B90D.png 4EF28CCE-6943-4565-BC57-F79E7C967EFC.png 3D1680FA-2759-48FB-9E90-4FCE67EB1301.png 7584C55A-209C-40C9-BD87-98FE6F873E5D.png Hi all- I am looking at EC’s but stumbled upon this and am trying to figure out how to get the video load so you can see it. It looks very nice but seems to be dark in the center where the flower is. I’m not knowledgeable w OEC’s (at all) but can show you a few photos... It’s a big girl (4ct) and looks white to me. The bottom right is what I keep seeing. When it was moving left to right (it would tend to disappear) but then again, it wasn’t face forward o_O I’ll try to get the video posted. Any feedback is greatly appreciated. PS: I think my favorite is a checkerboard affect (does this come from a small/non to medium cutlet)? I would also like to bezel it... pS. The first 2 photos are what I was originally hoping for w regard to a “checkerboard” pattern and the second with the “brightness” in the center... I also feel like I seem to be drawn to cushiony shapes but w OEC checkerboard pattern. Hahahhaha. If there is such a thing. Or perhaps something a little quirky! But bright and beautiful and w out a big cutlet. Thank you everyone.

GIA L/VS1
Table:50
Depth:59
Cutlet:Large
Polish:Good

PS My apologies for not rereading before hitting send! I am also hunting for an EC (or was originally) and for some reason - once I saw Grace's checkerboard stone (too big and dark for me) but nonetheless, just started to entertain the possibility of going in that direction..... Also - because I cannot seem to get what I want in an EC.. those 1.4-1.55 ratios are not an easy find in my carat range, nor budget.... thus my looking at this current stone. Again, many thanks.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Checkerboard patterning is most apparent in what we call treansitionals, usually ones with bigger tables, shallower crowns, and longer lower girdle facets. It has nothing to do with the culet. That first diamond fits the bill for that style. The loose one is not that style at all. It looks more like a classic OEC. Might be a little dark in the center. It looks like there are about 4 facets under the table that go dark all at the same time Worth seeing in person or at least on video. 5 o'clock and 10 o'clock in picture 1 and 3 & 9 in picture 4. Need video and in person viewing to know if that is apparent in real viewing and if it bothers you (old cuts this size are so rare you will need to make some compromises perhaps).

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Looks very nicely cut. Did you see it in person or are you commenting from the video?

The dark centre is due to obstruction / reflection of the camera lens. It might be that this particular cut is best enjoyed from slightly further distance to avoid your body causing obstruction. If you are one to closely inspect maybe this isn't the best one for you. If you are commenting just from the video, then generally the obstruction in real life viewing is less than that we see from camera obstruction, based on the set up of course

Reactions: AV_

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock
Checkerboard patterning is most apparent in what we call treansitionals, usually ones with bigger tables, shallower crowns, and longer lower girdle facets. It has nothing to do with the culet. That first diamond fits the bill for that style. The loose one is not that style at all. It looks more like a classic OEC. Might be a little dark in the center. It looks like there are about 4 facets under the table that go dark all at the same time Worth seeing in person or at least on video. 5 o'clock and 10 o'clock in picture 1 and 3 & 9 in picture 4. Need video and in person viewing to know if that is apparent in real viewing and if it bothers you (old cuts this size are so rare you will need to make some compromises perhaps).

Hi Dreamer - Thanks so much... I do like transitionals (I was sounding quite confusing with my post! I can def see the differences from the Transitionals and the OEC's) ... It just seems to me that the "trany's" seem more bright but that may be due to some of the given stones I have seen. The photo beneath the Transitional is a different stone from the one I actually viewed via video... I just wanted to reference the 2nd OEC for brightness (or in my opinion had) than the current one I have been viewing. The OEC (from the 3rd picture down) are all from the 4ct L/VS video I saw. I just snapped some pictures from it to show you. I need to get that loaded for you to see. I guess it could be an obstruction of the camera (I never thought of that) and probably should see in person. Did the numbers look good? I know one really needs to see these stones in person. Thank you again. I really appreciate your feedback.

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock
Looks very nicely cut. Did you see it in person or are you commenting from the video?

The dark centre is due to obstruction / reflection of the camera lens. It might be that this particular cut is best enjoyed from slightly further distance to avoid your body causing obstruction. If you are one to closely inspect maybe this isn't the best one for you. If you are commenting just from the video, then generally the obstruction in real life viewing is less than that we see from camera obstruction, based on the set up of course

Hi: gm89uk - I only saw this w a video (I will try and load that for you to see).. I quickly snapped photos of the video so you could see what I mean. The 2nd photo is of a different diamond that looked much brighter. It may be the obstruction from the camera, as mentioned. I guess I should see it in person. Adam was very nice but I did impress that cut is most important and am happy to go down in size to get that. He offered to send it for me to see myself. I just keep seeing all darkness with the middle (that dead look) but then it seems to disappear w the wave of the camera. My EC diamond did that and made me nuts!! Thus- part of the reason I was entertaining the OEC. I want it bezeled also. Will this take away from any of the brightness? Thank you again for taking the time to help answer my questions.

Lovesparklesparle

Shiny_Rock
I echo what has been suggested regarding maybe needing to make some compromises in a stone this big and definately worth a look, but my first thought was a pass (as I said worth a look though).

The second stone looks very similar to my oec, it has a very bright centre and is very symmetrical. If this is the look you are after, this big momma in question may not fit the bill.

I love the transitional!

mamasooz

Rough_Rock
Is this the one Grace posted on Instagram?I am not a trained diamond person but this stone is breathtaking!I read these boards about angles and scores and these numbers are great but isn’t the most important thing how it makes You feel when you look at it ?

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock
Is this the one Grace posted on Instagram?I am not a trained diamond person but this stone is breathtaking!I read these boards about angles and scores and these numbers are great but isn’t the most important thing how it makes You feel when you look at it ?
. Yes it is grace! I agree. It’s definitely a personal thing and I absolutely do not need a stone this large and would prefer a stellar performer and I think transitional!

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock
I echo what has been suggested regarding maybe needing to make some compromises in a stone this big and definately worth a look, but my first thought was a pass (as I said worth a look though).

The second stone looks very similar to my oec, it has a very bright centre and is very symmetrical. If this is the look you are after, this big momma in question may not fit the bill.

I love the transitional!
. Thx so much. I immediately saw the dark center but Adam said he loved it and it’s personal. He’s super nice to work with - I just feel though that he does not make a stance and tends to be non comittal w re to descriptions and performance etc. He did say he liked it a lot - but I said I really care most about the Cut/Brightness and happy to go down in size. So will see what he brings next.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Angles don't tell us much with these old cuts.

Transitionals often do favour white light return (brightness), its just the nature of the proportions that are most common in that cut style.

Darkness in the center is typically obstruction (can be leakage but that looks more hazy in images in my experience). But you will get that in person with certain kinds of viewing. Instead of the camera its your head and body causing the obstruction.

You keep talking about brightness, which is white light return. Is that you priority? THere are other aspects of light play in diamonds, like scintillation (patterning and liveliness), fire (colored light return), sparkle (bright flashes of light). Stones can vary in which aspect of light play they favour.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Darkness in the center is typically obstruction (can be leakage but that looks more hazy in images in my experience). But you will get that in person with certain kinds of viewing. Instead of the camera its your head and body causing the obstruction.
The camera provides deeper obstruction than ones face.
In an oec the mains are what is under the table, the mains are also what form the arrows in an h&a diamond.
One of the 8 mains is colored red in this wire image.
Morse/Wade is a type of oec.

jointwire.gif
https://www.pricescope.com/articles/do_pavilion_mains_drive_light_return_modern_round_brilliant

With OEC's you get some that depending on the pavilion angle show large amounts of obstruction at greater distances and look dark.
Because its all mains under the table its going to happen with all of them when viewed extremely close.
Throw them in a pendant or necklace and they will knock your socks off but the can be a little dark in rings but not as bad as the camera makes them look.
Pictures are a poor way of judging if its an issue because the camera over obstructs the diamond.

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock
Angles don't tell us much with these old cuts.

Transitionals often do favour white light return (brightness), its just the nature of the proportions that are most common in that cut style.

You keep talking about brightness, which is white light return. Is that you priority? THere are other aspects of light play in diamonds, like scintillation (patterning and liveliness), fire (colored light return), sparkle (bright flashes of light). Stones can vary in which aspect of light play they favour.

Thank you so much for all your information. I would like all that you said (flashes of light, seeing the patterning (checkboard in trans) w lots of fire! Lol. As said- willing to go down in size to achieve this. I DEf don’t need a stone that big. Thank you again.

AntiqueSparkle

Shiny_Rock
Hmm... @Emeraldcutlover, from reading your posts I think I ended up with the 4ct L that you saw in the video. Small world! :geek2:

Just wanted to let you know that your EC is absolutely stunning and the whole ring is just TDF. My MIL always had emeralds and my husband adores them. I prefer rounds but over the years really grown to admire the elegance of emerald cuts. Enjoy your beautiful ring and wear it in happiness & health!!! :love:

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock
Hmm... @Emeraldcutlover, from reading your posts I think I ended up with the 4ct L that you saw in the video. Small world! :geek2:

Just wanted to let you know that your EC is absolutely stunning and the whole ring is just TDF. My MIL always had emeralds and my husband adores them. I prefer rounds but over the years really grown to admire the elegance of emerald cuts. Enjoy your beautiful ring and wear it in happiness & health!!! :love:
. Awe @mwang05 ! Th am you so much!!! I saw that sold! It was the L from Adam! I only saw it in a library in the evening and that was a huge mistake bc one of the EC’s I almost purchased but had originally dismissed it, due to seeing it at night etc and then when I finally saw it in appropriate daylight, it was so much better. That was a good deal and I love OEC’s!!!! I need to see how you set it! I wish I could have tried an OEC on w a setting. I never got the full experience. Thanks so much. I do love my stone and honestly wear it 24/7 just like I did when I first got engaged :). I’ll visit your profile. Love that you got that. Lots of love and health and happiness. XO

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock
@Emeraldcutlover I'm so glad you are enjoying it with so much joy! :clap: I told Adam during our meeting that your ring was just absolutely stunning but he already knew that ;-) .

Mine is also set by OWD though I plan to make some changes to the current setting to better protect the girdle. Here you go:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/4-30-oec-sparkle-bomb.250182/
Love your stone and ring!! It looks just stunning on your beautiful hand!!! Maybe one day we can do a diamond swap for a day! Hahah. You can get the EC out of your system and I, the OEC!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results