shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with computer hacking

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In the last several weeks my amazon account has been hacked. I still have no idea how it happened. I have a few questions about this.

Whomever, got my password and began charging stuff. Amazon caught it and notified me. Since I'm not computer literate, I just changed the password, which is all done from my email account. The thief went into my email account as I used the same password as I had on Amazon and changed it back again to what is was. I changed my email password and closed out my Amazon acc't. Now they are still trying to get into my e-mail account, but the new password has stopped them. I hesitate to change my e-mail address as it I so much trouble to notify everyone of the change.

1.Do you think I m safe now?

2. After I changed my password on my email acct, I no longer get e-mails on my phones. Is this the reason? What do I have to do to get my emails to come to two phones and a tablet?

Please help if you can. This all makes me anxious.
Thank You,
Annette

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
Hi @smitcompton I'm sorry you're going through this! When the email account was set up on your phone, a password was entered, that's how you get your email there. You need to go into your accounts, or into your email app, and change the password there. If you tell me what kind of phone you have, I can look up where to find those settings. It's an easy fix though!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, you need to be sure you don't have a key logger on your computer.
Use a good antivirus software. I use Avast. You don't have to use that but use something similar. Keep it up to date.

Use MalwareBytes. Its decent enough to catch such things.

Make sure you do 2Factor Authentication for your passwords when possible.

Also make sure any password is not a dictionary word
use 15 characters and include
2 upper case characters
2 special characters

because they were able to charge stuff contact your credit card company(s) and get new cards.

You will need to also check any other accounts that used the same password.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
If the computer is running windows run malwarebytes and make sure you have anti-virus on everything.
Change passwords for everything.

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
In my opinion, your email password is the most important one. When you can't remember a password, a reset link can be sent to your email. If someone has your email address & password all they have to do is click "forgot password" and then go into your email to receive the reset link and change your password. Therefore, have an ultra-strong password for your email and don't use it for anything else.

You should actually have different passwords for everything. I am guilty of using the same one over and over for sites that don't matter much. I know it has been found out because I find threatening letters in my spam folder telling me that they not only have my password but have all my contacts and browser history. If I don't send them $900 in bitcoin currency they will let all my contacts know about all the dirty sites I go to. It was a wake up call for me because even though I only used that phrase at sites that don't have my credit card info I was using it along with numbers or symbols at sites that do matter.

I hope you don't have to change your email address - that would be a pain. How can you tell they're still trying to get in? If I were you I'd change that password every week for a while, even if it means having to enter the new password into your phone every time.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah I'd run an antivirus then change passwords to everything.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi All,

I know they are still trying to get in because I receive an e-mail that says something like 6.55PM e-mail entry failed. My -Email has a two step entry, where there is a question asked to show that you are who you say. Initially they had my password so weren't asked the question.

I have changed some passwords--I have two left to do.

Thanks Arcadian & Karl --I will look into those protection and antivirus companies. I use McAfee and have for yrs. This is my first problem.

SandyinAnheim---my phones are Samsung Galaxy Sky and Samsung Galaxy J7. If you could tell me where I can change the password I would be so grateful.
Annette

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
@smitcompton for both of your Samsungs, try this:
  1. From a Home screen, swipe up then tap Email
    email_new_icon.gif
  2. Tap the Menu icon
    3_line_menu.gif
    (located in the upper-left).
  3. Tap the Settings icon
    email_settings_icon.gif
    (located in the upper-left).
  4. Tap the appropriate email address.
    linote.gif
    Multiple accounts may appear.
  5. From the Advanced settings section, tap Server Settings.
    Ensure the appropriate info is entered into the PASSWORD field then tap DONE (located at the bottom)
Let me know if this works. If not I will try to find a video.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi All you wonderful people,

Yes, Sandy it worked--not quite the same but it got me to where I could change the password. Both phones can now get e-mail. last nite as I reviewed the emails on my sons phone I found my would be thief also tried to get into the ebay account. That failed-that password was good and not the same as the other problem entries I had. So my thief wants to go shopping. Its a woman--from the things that she tried to purchase.

I am still not anxiety free-- but he cannot charge these accounts-I changed my credit card numbers. The only thing left is banking. Most of those have a 2 step verification to get in. I'll see what happens. If she tries to get into one of my financial count, I will change the e-mail.

Now for a little levity. One of her purchases was a dildo. From this I deduced it was a female.(also a facial mirror). Look what you can splurge on with someone elses money. No diamonds for our girl.
I don't know whether it was top of the line or a basic imperfect specimen .

Thanks so much everyone.

, Annette

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m glad you are getting this straighten out @smitcompton .

I laughed out load when I got to the last paragraph of your post. Thank you for the laugh Annette!!!

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
@smitcompton I'm glad the info helped.

I'm not sure if this will help you, but I have 4 different passwords. One that is a low security password for websites such as this one. Then I have a medium security password for online shopping and such. I have a high security password for banking and credit credit cards. Finally I have a super high security password for email. In these passwords, I have a multi-digit number that I update every year on my birthday, so it is never the same from year to year. This has kept me secure to date.

I learned when I had an online shopping cart for a previous business, that passwords can be seen by anyone that has access to that cart, and therefor is easily exploited. That's the reason I have a multi-level password system. I also don't save credit card numbers at any website. So if someone got my Macy's password, they'd be able to get into my USPS account, but they'd have to pay with their own credit card.... :lol:

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@smitcompton I'm glad the info helped.

I'm not sure if this will help you, but I have 4 different passwords. One that is a low security password for websites such as this one. Then I have a medium security password for online shopping and such. I have a high security password for banking and credit credit cards. Finally I have a super high security password for email. In these passwords, I have a multi-digit number that I update every year on my birthday, so it is never the same from year to year. This has kept me secure to date.

I learned when I had an online shopping cart for a previous business, that passwords can be seen by anyone that has access to that cart, and therefor is easily exploited. That's the reason I have a multi-level password system. I also don't save credit card numbers at any website. So if someone got my Macy's password, they'd be able to get into my USPS account, but they'd have to pay with their own credit card.... :lol:

Yikes, good to know! I thought passwords were supposed to be encrypted.

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
I think they are encrypted to outside access, but there is always inside access. To be fair, that was 2006, and things may have changed. But I was an owner and therefor able to see my clients' input into the remote shopping cart database.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results