shape
carat
color
clarity

Crazy to Buy Diamond not Eye Clean??

CheeSauce

Shiny_Rock
Ok! I put the diamond on hold and I am waiting for a quote for the setting. However, I did notice that even compared to the ASET images of other CBI diamonds, the one I am looking at (top) appears to have a lighter color and a ring around the center. Comparing with the ASET reference charts, it appears to be more of a "Above Average – Very Good" cut rather than an "excellent" cut. Or, am I just reading the ASET totally wrong? Thank you for your guidance everyone!

GSi2.jpg HVS2.jpg HVS22.jpg

Attachments

• H diamond.JPG
    H diamond.JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 12

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@CheeSauce sorry to be blunt, but your concerns are unfounded. This is an example of a perfect ASET. I would spend less time worrying about this ASET, and start worrying about the other poor diamonds that don't have an ASET that looks this nice.

In all seriousness, firstly the backlit strength is slightly variable. Looking at the centre, it is slightly more washed out in yours (top one) meaning the light is a little stronger. Diamonds of different carat sizes will be look slightly different even in the same set up.

Secondly these are edited ASET, stuff the contrast bumped up. Yours seems to be edited less, preserving more details under the table. It's just a better taken ASET.

Thirdly different diamond proportions will look slightly different on ASET. You can buy a 31/40.8 diamond that can have the brightest red under the table, but can compromise on other visual effects that won't be obvious from the ASET.

There is 0% chance of you noticing any problems with brightness based on that aset. Even if this diamond had a technicality worse ASET (which it doesn't) what's more important that it's an extremely well cut, eye clean SI2 for a great price. Those don't come very often.

Last edited:

CheeSauce

Shiny_Rock
@CheeSauce sorry to be blunt, but your concerns are unfounded. This is an example of a perfect ASET. I would spend less time worrying about this ASET, and start worrying about the other poor diamonds that don't have an ASET that looks this nice.

In all seriousness, firstly the backlit strength is slightly variable. Looking at the centre, it is slightly more washed out in yours (top one) meaning the light is a little stronger. Diamonds of different carat sizes will be look slightly different even in the same set up.

Secondly these are edited ASET, stuff the contrast bumped up. Yours seems to be edited less, preserving more details under the table. It's just a better taken ASET.

Thirdly different diamond proportions will look slightly different on ASET. You can buy a 31/40.8 diamond that can have the brightest red under the table, but can compromise on other visual effects that won't be obvious from the ASET.

There is 0% chance of you noticing any problems with brightness based on that aset. Even if this diamond had a technicality worse ASET (which it doesn't) what's more important that it's an extremely well cut, eye clean SI2 for a great price. Those don't come very often.

Thank you sooooo much for the detailed response gm89uk!! I really appreciate the time you took to explain the differences. I am used to the Whiteflash ACA ASET so I am being thrown off by the back lighting. My main concern with buying my first stone is cut so I wanted to make sure everything looked perfect (since it is a big stone for my budget too!) I am glad to know that I do not have to worry. Now just to finalize the setting!

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I have an update! So I contacted HPD about the diamond that @gm89uk recommended and received this video of the diamond. I think it is probably the winner but wanted to get all of your opinions before making the plunge.

As a recap, I am looking for a diamond over 1 carat, around SI1-IF, H-D, and a super ideal cut. My budget is under 10K for the diamond. Even with that budget, I think it is hard to find another diamond that is a better value than the one gm89uk found. Here are the stats:

CUT QUALITY CRAFTED BY INFINITY
CARAT WEIGHT 1.22 CARATS
CLARITY GRADE SI2
COLOR GRADE G
FLUORESCENCE NEGLIGIBLE
LAB REPORT AGS PLATINUM
MEASUREMENTS 6.86 - 6.89 x 4.25 mm
TABLE SIZE 55.4%
TOTAL DEPTH 61.7%
PAVILION ANGLE 40.7°
CROWN ANGLE 34.6°
LIGHT PERFORMANCE Ideal
POLISH GRADE Ideal
SYMMETRY GRADE Ideal

https://www.hpdiamonds.com/en-us/diamonddetail/HPD10696

I'm just here to listen to Wink's commentary. :razz:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
WoW! , wish all SI2 look like this CBI!.. :love: and the proportions ..:love:. SI2 like this one don't grow on trees.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results