shape
carat
color
clarity

Belais 18k Stamp

Andie19

Rough_Rock
Hi, I am new here and wanted to ask a question about a quality stamp (s) I own. It says Belais 18k. I bought these from a private home sale. The basement was full of jewelry machinery and tools and since I was a starting jeweler at the time I bought some old burs and stamps. This was in New York. I remember asking the grandson that if I were him I wouldn't be selling all this stuff because it was just amazing and part of his family. But when I got back I looked at the stamps and saw it said Belais 18k. I just read about the Belais brothers bring the first white gold to america and I even believe I have a antique ring in my family that says Belais. I couldn't imagine I purchase this from the Belais family itself? Does anyone have any information where David made his jewelry? Because I know about the location (home) I got the tools. I rarely set diamond jewelry and I am more into Turquoise and other semi precious raw stones so I would never use the stamps and don't have the expertise to even make diamond jewelry so it's really something I like more information about. I had the stamps appraised at one point but I just sent in the picture of the stamp and markings.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, I am new here and wanted to ask a question about a quality stamp (s) I own. It says Belais 18k. I bought these from a private home sale. The basement was full of jewelry machinery and tools and since I was a starting jeweler at the time I bought some old burs and stamps. This was in New York. I remember asking the grandson that if I were him I wouldn't be selling all this stuff because it was just amazing and part of his family. But when I got back I looked at the stamps and saw it said Belais 18k. I just read about the Belais brothers bring the first white gold to america and I even believe I have a antique ring in my family that says Belais. I couldn't imagine I purchase this from the Belais family itself? Does anyone have any information where David made his jewelry? Because I know about the location (home) I got the tools. I rarely set diamond jewelry and I am more into Turquoise and other semi precious raw stones so I would never use the stamps and don't have the expertise to even make diamond jewelry so it's really something I like more information about. I had the stamps appraised at one point but I just sent in the picture of the stamp and markings.

Per his obit, New Yorker, born & raised. I think it's reasonable to conclude he made his jewelry in NY since he was very active in his community.
upload_2019-3-22_10-30-2.png

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Belais is very well known in the vintage-antique jewelry world, there are people that collect and they make jewelry with higher end materials 18K and good quality diamonds.

Would love to see a picture!

Andie19

Rough_Rock
I will take another picture later today.
I was inquiring about where he worked or did he have employees to work for him since I have the Belais quality stamp mark. The home I went to was a very older home but fixed up and the cellar looked back in the early 1900's.

Andie19

Rough_Rock
IMG_3915.jpg
Here are the quality stamps I purchased along with many others that just have the 14k, 18k stamps. If you can't zoom in I will post another up close. From what I can read I also see a S&M and something else I can't make out.. MG 18k?

Andie19

Rough_Rock
3.jpg IMG_3918.jpg

Here are the other stamps plus a old box with burs with the letters EM on the front.
Would be wonderful to find out what the letters stand for.
I am really trying to find out where Belais made his jewelry.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Many times city libraries have old phone books, either in hard copy or microfilm/digital. The older phone books sometimes included information about the resident’s occupation.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have to add that whatever it’s provenance, your collection of stamps is very neat!

And if you recall the address (or even block) of the house where you bought these items, the library can probably help you identify early owners and/or who initially had the home built. My city library has a historical archive for just this type of research.

Andie19

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your messages. I don't remember where the house was. I do know it was in Long Island outside of Oyster bay. Which is why if it says he worked in Long island at one point or his employees then I am pretty sure I have his stamps. Thank you for your replies =)

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Given that the man died in 1933 and assuming that you purchased the stamps within the last 10 years, that's still 76 years' worth of time for his descendants to move the contents of his workshop around. I don't think you're going to confirm the provenance of the stamps by spinning your wheels on this.

Andie19

Rough_Rock
No, I wouldn't confirm. But if you saw the the workshop in the cellar you could think it was him or his workers. Cob webs, large antique machinery. Looked like no one had been down there in many decades. That being said, it doesn't look like they had any children? I thought it was maybe their great grandfather. But the couple said back in the day their family was in the jewelry business and didn't know what to do with it all so they were selling it. I really wished I was more knowledgeable about jewelry making back then like I am now. Who knows, maybe another jeweler somehow took the stamp or had it copied from the Belais family and used it in their own jewelry designs. I think it's just fascinating when I found out what the stamp said many years after I bought them. One day I would like to give these back to the family.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results