shape
carat
color
clarity

Need opinions on this 3.02 ct

Foxtails99

Rough_Rock
Hi,

Would love opinions on this 3.02 carat. The HCA score came back as .7 - is this too low? Also, is faint fluorescence a problem with this size stone? Price is $50,646 - does this seem reasonable? Thanks in advance

upload_2019-3-25_9-41-53.png

Last edited:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No problem with HCA of .7 I think the concern about HCA scores under 1 might be overblown, since HCA should really be used as a rejecrion tool. Do you have pics/video?

Faint flour won't be an issue at all.

Foxtails99

Rough_Rock

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
https://www.b2cjewels.com/dd/123466...m_medium=referral&utm_campaign=pricescope.com

Hopefully this link works. Thank you for your feedback - you were very helpful with the last stone I was looking at so I value your opinion.
I don't see any major red flags here. It would be great to see ASET/IS images, but B2C doesn't always have them. I honestly don't know how good of a price this is, since I rarely look at stones of this size. Have you compared the price with others of similar specs using the search tool?

Foxtails99

Rough_Rock
I don't see any major red flags here. It would be great to see ASET/IS images, but B2C doesn't always have them. I honestly don't know how good of a price this is, since I rarely look at stones of this size. Have you compared the price with others of similar specs using the search tool?

This stone is listed at a few other online retailers whose prices are a little bit more. I requested ideal scope images from the jeweler so hopefully they have it and will send to me.

Foxtails99

Rough_Rock

Thank you but these have a medium florescence and I’m looking for either none or faint. I am awaiting the ASET and Ideal scope images tomorrow and will post those when I receive them for more feedback.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you but these have a medium florescence and I’m looking for either none or faint. I am awaiting the ASET and Ideal scope images tomorrow and will post those when I receive them for more feedback.
Can you share why you don't want medium flour? Fluorescence isn't an issue in like 99% of stones, especially if it's not very strong.

jp201845

Brilliant_Rock
Can you share why you don't want medium flour? Fluorescence isn't an issue in like 99% of stones, especially if it's not very strong.

Personally I wouldn't get Flouro in the DEF color range but that's my preference.

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/how-will-this-diamond-perform.247619/#post-4516251

I wouldn't knock a medium fluor because very rarely it may exhibit over blue. You're not exactly spoilt for choice for well cut diamonds at over 3cts to be this selective over minute details, especially in the colourless range. Ensure you have a good refund policy and if everything else looks good, you can see it for yourself.

Your original stone has a 34/40.6 combo which may suffer from obstruction on near viewing. This is not an issue that will show up on the ASET. You can see from the photo all the extraedark facets that are reflecting the camera lens, compared to the video that @Ss52 shared (the second stone). That means it may be better appreciated from some distance rather than close observation.

It may be the photographer just got too close to the camera, but it is something to bear in mind, particularly with those proportions.

PS: I agree the low HCA score problem is over blown, my concerns are looking at the proportions in combination with the photo. Hopefully just bad photography.

Last edited:

Foxtails99

Rough_Rock

You are correct that fluorescence is usually not an issue at medium blue but from researching these diamonds they only sell at 1-2% discount in the DEF range so I’d rather not take a chance.

Foxtails99

Rough_Rock
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/how-will-this-diamond-perform.247619/#post-4516251

I wouldn't knock a medium fluor because very rarely it may exhibit over blue. You're not exactly spoilt for choice for well cut diamonds at over 3cts to be this selective over minute details, especially in the colourless range. Ensure you have a good refund policy and if everything else looks good, you can see it for yourself.

Your original stone has a 34/40.6 combo which may suffer from obstruction on near viewing. This is not an issue that will show up on the ASET. You can see from the photo all the extraedark facets that are reflecting the camera lens, compared to the video that @Ss52 shared (the second stone). That means it may be better appreciated from some distance rather than close observation.

It may be the photographer just got too close to the camera, but it is something to bear in mind, particularly with those proportions.

PS: I agree the low HCA score problem is over blown, my concerns are looking at the proportions in combination with the photo. Hopefully just bad photography.[/QUOTE

Thank you for replying. I compared my stone with the one your referenced and see the extra dark facets you are pointing out. In your opinion what crown/angle should I be targeting? Is the table/depth good for this size stone? This is an upgrade for my 30th anniversary. My original e-ring is G/H 1.33 ct and from what I know now realize it is not a great cut stone. The table is too large and the stone is too shallow so a lot of the light leaks through. I want a stone that has fire and brilliance. I don’t want to make another mistake with this purchase.

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
What exactly are you after? What carat, colour, clarity? What is your budget? If your original stone is G/H I'm guessing it isn't GIA/AGS graded and actually may be a much lower colour grading. You can probably go H+ if that is the stone you are used to. Have you seen stones this size in person?

The obstruction problem with the original diamond may be a photograph error, but it doesn't sing to me, well cut stone.
For a typical tolk stone:
Table: 54-58 (but lovely 60:60 diamonds exist)
Crown: 34-35.5 (I would also buy 36/40.6 with a small table)
Pavilion: 40.6 - 41 (34 crown with 40.8/41 more favourable, 35 with 40.8/40.6, 35.5 with 40.6)

34/40.6 works too but sometimes it can lead to obstruction issues. Remember the 34 and 40.6 are rounded figures.

Well cut 3ct stones are far less common than 1st stones. It's not all about the 1-2% price difference. By limiting yourself to faint or no fluor, you may miss an otherwise perfect stone. Price variability is huge at this carat size, you may settle for a less well cut stone that costs $15k more because of a small statistic.

https://www.yadavjewelry.com/diamond/round-diamond-3.02-carat-f-vs2-yd4586803

Last edited:

Foxtails99

Rough_Rock
What exactly are you after? What carat, colour, clarity? What is your budget? If your original stone is G/H I'm guessing it isn't GIA/AGS graded and actually may be a much lower colour grading. You can probably go H+ if that is the stone you are used to. Have you seen stones this size in person?

The obstruction problem with the original diamond may be a photograph error, but it doesn't sing to me, well cut stone.
For a typical tolk stone:
Table: 54-58 (but lovely 60:60 diamonds exist)
Crown: 34-35.5 (I would also buy 36/40.6 with a small table)
Pavilion: 40.6 - 41 (34 crown with 40.8/41 more favourable, 35 with 40.8/40.6, 35.5 with 40.6)

34/40.6 works too but sometimes it can lead to obstruction issues. Remember the 34 and 40.6 are rounded figures.

Well cut 3ct stones are far less common than 1st stones. It's not all about the 1-2% price difference. By limiting yourself to faint or no fluor, you may miss an otherwise perfect stone. Price variability is huge at this carat size, you may settle for a less well cut stone that costs $15k more because of a small statistic.

https://www.yadavjewelry.com/diamond/round-diamond-3.02-carat-f-vs2-yd4586803

Yes, I have seem this size stone in person. I am looking for 2.8 - 3 ct, DEF color, Clarity VS1 or VS2. What I have read on the internet suggests to purchase none or faint fluor at this color level and size because even a medium blue can appear oily or hazy. Are you saying med blue is not an issue I need to worry about? Budget is up to $50k though I would like to stay in the $40k range if possible because I will need a new setting for this diamond. The first picture in the stone you linked to I don't distinctly see the arrows - shouldn't I see them clearly? Is this stone a better cut than the one I posted about? If there are other stones you can recommend please do so.

Thank you in advance for your help. I feel like I don't know exactly what I'm doing. Attached are the images I received from the vendor. Any insight would be appreciated because I'm not exactly sure how to interpret them.

upload_2019-3-26_17-16-36.png
upload_2019-3-26_17-19-1.png

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
All those see through spots are where that stone will not return light. Leakage. Flourescence is not nearly bad as often as some dealers claim. Something like 1-2% could have negative effects. I wouldn’t limit so much. Every limit comes with its own price tag.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I have seem this size stone in person. I am looking for 2.8 - 3 ct, DEF color, Clarity VS1 or VS2. What I have read on the internet suggests to purchase none or faint fluor at this color level and size because even a medium blue can appear oily or hazy. Are you saying med blue is not an issue I need to worry about?
That's a bunch of BS!. The odds of seeing an oily/hazy stone are < 2%.

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
With regards to distinctly seeing all the arrows in my recommended diamond,

The photography set up was not to show all the arrows as a crisp black as you may be used to. The ASET tells us the information we need, that this diamond is worth consideration. It's not H&A but should perform very well.

The ASET and IS of the one you posted are poorly taken and too close to the diamond again, or it just may have obstruction issues. Probably a bit of both.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
This may not apply at all here but just for thought... Going by my 3 carat equivalent round cubic zirconia (9 mm), to me a three carat round stone would not be enough wow factor - for that kind of money. I'd go down a bit on the color and clarity and shoot for a four carat stone or choose a shape that appears larger on the hand. Then again, I have large hands for a woman. So, for what it's worth.

ETA: Also, am I the only one who loves fluorescence? Aside from the hazy looking few, I just think it's cool. All other things being equal, I would always pick the stone with medium or strong blue fluorescence. :)

Last edited:

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Sorry for not the best quality iphone shot but here's my 2.75 carat marquise (15mm x 7.34mm) and 3 carat equivalent (9mm) round cz. I mean, I certainly wouldn't turn my nose up at a 3 carat round but- in my opinion, 30k would be more like it. 40 or 50k, to me, would be a little steep for it.

ETA: On a quick search, I didn't see any 4 carat rounds that were H or better and SI1 or better for under 50k but I did see some 3.5 carat rounds for that. (Also some 4 carat rounds with I color, and some with blue fluorescence to improve on the color).

marquise vs. round.JPG

Last edited:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can't give a general price for a stone of any size. Depends on cut quality, color and clarity.

Foxtails99

Rough_Rock

Thank you for the suggestions. I see it is a master cut diamond but I don’t see all the dark arrows. Will this diamond still have a lot of fire, sparkle and brilliance? Is it not necessary to distinctly see each of the eight arrows for it to be a great diamond?

Ss52

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for the suggestions. I see it is a master cut diamond but I don’t see all the dark arrows. Will this diamond still have a lot of fire, sparkle and brilliance? Is it not necessary to distinctly see each of the eight arrows for it to be a great diamond?

This is where you need to do some homework. Ask for ASET and IS images, post them here for knowledgeable people to read. These proportions are well within the ideal range. So.....go to work.

Ss52

Shiny_Rock
A8F1992E-93C1-4867-8C2B-0378538DE5F0.jpeg
Seaurchin, let’s start a club! Fluorescent lovers forever. I LOVE this property of diamonds! Especially diamonds that flouresce orange or green or red. The blue Hope Diamond flouresces red, and it’s also phosphorescent — meaning the red glow remains a bit after the UV source is removed. Notice one of the Hope’s surrounding diamonds flourescing faintly blue. I’ll take medium blue florescence any day. Id advise anyone to avoid yellow or brown fluorescence tho, and it’s rare to find a milky stone (I’m sure you know this....I’m just sayin’ )

Here’s the Hope Diamond, above!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results