shape
carat
color
clarity

CAD vs final setting for my octagon halo

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
gahhhh I didn't even notice the weird blob prong until now--I've been so focused on the bezel/gap issue. But WHAT. THE. HELL?!

Bfelix

Shiny_Rock
Premium
gahhhh I didn't even notice the weird blob prong until now--I've been so focused on the bezel/gap issue. But WHAT. THE. HELL?!

I mentioned this to the vendor and he said that it is too small to notice.

Bfelix

Shiny_Rock
Premium
5D616B60-3D7E-401D-ABFB-903019CA64C3.jpeg
I went on to PayPal and the vendor put business supplies as the category. I didn’t purchase business supplies. Will this be a problem if I need to open up a dispute? The vendor hasn’t responded today but he is sticking to his story that the setting looks just like the CAD, as of right now and is not offering a refund. On his site, it does say that CAD custom settings have no refund.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooooooh.
I'm surprised.
And sorry you are going thru this.

RayRay

Shiny_Rock
I’m sorry you’re going through this Bfelix...I hope he does the right thing...

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hahahahahaha WHAT???? I'm not even a detail oriented person, and I noticed the octagon issue immediately, and once I saw the insane prong I can't unsee it, and I hate it. He's being an unreasonable jerk (IMHO)

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yea it’s small ... because it doesn’t appear like the CAD shows it should appear, which is about twice the size! :wall:

UFB ... details ... details ... DETAILS! :doh:

LoveBugPugs

Rough_Rock
I am SO disappointed. I knew who it was by the CADs but didn't want to jump to conclusions. I see who it is now. This is not good for him at all.
I don't think you can lose anything trying to get PP to fix this. I know this is tainted now but it might get him to make the ring correctly.
I am so sorry, this sucks for you but might suck for him more after this gets out and reaches more people.

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am SO disappointed. I knew who it was by the CADs but didn't want to jump to conclusions. I see who it is now. This is not good for him at all.
I don't think you can lose anything trying to get PP to fix this. I know this is tainted now but it might get him to make the ring correctly.
I am so sorry, this sucks for you but might suck for him more after this gets out and reaches more people.

same. I'm quite shocked.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Bfelix
Does he have his own in house CAD/bench? Or is he sending it all out to numerous benches? How long has he been doing custom work?
I'm not coming down for choosing him, but his IG doesn't show much work from his bench? Many from other established ones. I'm just wondering where to go see if this is usual suspect quality work for him or it's an oddball?
And just a thought.
He's already refused a refund.
He's already stated that the flaws aren't bad enough to see- even tho you know that to not be true.
This is the impasse.
His written policy is no refunds.
How about offering to pay for CADs and a small fee for the labor involved with your request to change the halo metal?
I understand wanting to dispute with PP / CC just for the principle though - I mean do you still want to keep the stone though?

cokitty

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think I can guess who this is. I am looking at the policies section of his site and I don't think you will be able to get even a partial refund. I am sorry to say you will likely end up either keeping it as is or eating the cost of a new setting. :errrr:

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
5D616B60-3D7E-401D-ABFB-903019CA64C3.jpeg
I went on to PayPal and the vendor put business supplies as the category. I didn’t purchase business supplies. Will this be a problem if I need to open up a dispute? The vendor hasn’t responded today but he is sticking to his story that the setting looks just like the CAD, as of right now and is not offering a refund. On his site, it does say that CAD custom settings have no refund.
In the details, it does say "Roselyn - 18kt", so I think you'll be on solid ground to say he sent you a ring.

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
He's already stated he won't give you a refund and his policies page state no refunds on custom work. I'd go to PayPal and see what they can do.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I can guess who this is. I am looking at the policies section of his site and I don't think you will be able to get even a partial refund. I am sorry to say you will likely end up either keeping it as is or eating the cost of a new setting. :errrr:
I'm totally in the dark...not a clue who. But IMHO, if you don't deliver on the CAD -- you get no cover from it being non-returnable.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
He's already stated he won't give you a refund and his policies page state no refunds on custom work. I'd go to PayPal and see what they can do.

Here’s where I *think* @Bfelix has a case with PayPal/CC company. Yes, there aren’t refunds with custom work, but I’ve always interpreted that to mean when the vendor actually delivers what was agreed to for said custom work. For instance, I ordered an apple, and I got an apple. Not “I ordered a Granny Smith apple but you delivered me a Red Delicious and thus no refund.”

In this case, CADs were created to reflect what the finished product was supposed to look like, and (I’m sorry) the finished product looks like an inferior bench’s attempt at trying to literally hand-mold something to be like what the CAD represents. I mean, the prongs aren’t even in the right/same place and aren’t the right size; the stone measurements for the diamond and inner opening of the halo are clearly off from the CAD, and some prongs are missing that the CAD reflected. OP did not receive the custom work product that was agreed to, it seems. So regardless of what a website says, contractually, the vendor appears to have failed to deliver. OP didn’t commission “a ring”, she commissioned a specific ring, with a specific look and features, and it appears the vendor agreed to deliver that but did not.

I’ve always had the utmost respect for this particular vendor and the value he has brought to the PS community, but yes - I would pursue a refund through PP and the CC company if this were me, and the above reasons would be the basis of my argument despite what the website says.

@Bfelix - was this “custom work/no refund” comment on your Paypal transaction/receipt anywhere? If not, then I’m not sure how much water PP would give what is stated on a website. The website isn’t a contract; the receipt essentially is, so if it’s not on the receipt, then that’s to your benefit as well, I’d think.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Bfelix I am so sorry you are dealing with this and hope you get a successful resolution. I might be the only one here who doesn't know which vendor is responsible but I agree you should open a PayPal claim. Custom doesn't mean you accept something you did not commission. And this is clearly not what you asked for nor wanted. Sending you dust for a happy outcome.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I feel like others need to know who this is to be protected in the future. I think OP can file via PP because the CADs aren't as promised. That should void any BS about stuff being non refundable.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I feel like others need to know who this is to be protected in the future. I think OP can file via PP because the CADs aren't as promised. That should void any BS about stuff being non refundable.

Agreed. A website can change at any time. I believe it’s what is on the receipt/contract that counts. And even if it is in there, the vendor needs to actually deliver the product ordered ... not something ‘kinda sorta close if you hold your nose, squint your eyes and cock your head.’

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This particular vendor is a huge asset to the community and I have happily worked with them before, but it does not appear he has a very good bench for custom work, or else they were really having a bad month. Yikes!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This particular vendor is a huge asset to the community and I have happily worked with them before, but it does not appear he has a very good bench for custom work, or else they were really having a bad month. Yikes!

And the vendor (whomever it might be) seems unwilling to make the situation right as it stands now so from my perspective there are 2 issues here. Poor workmanship from his bench (which may be a one off) and more importantly poor customer service. Mistakes will happen but how you correct those mistakes are what matters IRL.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
And the vendor (whomever it might be) seems unwilling to make the situation right as it stands now so from my perspective there are 2 issues here. Poor workmanship from his bench (which may be a one off) and more importantly poor customer service. Mistakes will happen but how you correct those mistakes are what matters IRL.
YES! Absolutely, everyone makes mistakes, but it’s how they deal with it that matters and this is just beyond poor customer service. I’d consider naming the vendor since you’ve given him ample opportunity to handle this properly and he’s refused. Based on this, I’d choose not to work with him for custom projects, as the true test of a vendor is how they handle a problem.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am aware of one other person who had a less-than-desired result from their custom ring project from the same vendor. I figured that scenario was a one-off, but reading this experience makes me believe it may not, which frankly is really surprising. It makes me thankful I didn’t pursue the custom project I was communicating with him about a little while back. If there is ‘another side to this story’, I hope the vendor chimes in with it because I won’t do business with, refer to his expertise, nor recommend him after reading BF’s experience; I just can’t in good conscience. :(2

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am aware of one other person who had a less-than-desired result from their custom ring project from the same vendor. I figured that scenario was a one-off, but reading this experience makes me believe it may not, which frankly is really surprising. It makes me thankful I didn’t pursue the custom project I was communicating with him about a little while back. If there is ‘another side to this story’, I hope the vendor chimes in with it because I won’t do business with, refer to his expertise, nor recommend him after reading BF’s experience; I just can’t in good conscience. :(2
This it makes me not even want to purchase a stone from him.

Bfelix

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Update: He told me to send the setting back. He told
me that all this details are microscopic and that he would have his bench fix it. I told him that I didn’t want his bench to try to fix it a fourth time amd that I would like a refund. I asked for the address to send the setting back. He hasn’t responded with the return confirmation of solely the setting and the address so that I can ship it back.

leukolenos

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This it makes me not even want to purchase a stone from him.
I feel the same....if this is how things go when there are issues, I don’t feel good about purchasing.

I am also aware of two people who had custom setting issues. I really hope this is not the “new normal”.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results