shape
carat
color
clarity

My new setting by David Klass

dkata

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
2 years ago I have found my OEC. I have bought it from Erica at LAD. I still love my stone, but my temporary Stuller setting begins to show the wear, and I don't want to risk to loose the diamond.
After considering a lot of designs and possibilities, and what I really want in a new setting, I have sent David a few inspirations pics and thoughts, and he has sent me following CAD:

50710-QUAD.jpg

My initial inspiration thoughts were:
- 4 prongs
- diamonds of J-K color on the shank and on the bridge
- some vintage elements
- I would like to wear a band sitting flush to the ring

As vintage element he suggested these kind of prongs - sorry, I don't know the name - and carving on the shank. I think, this design quite resembles every aspect of my list, I'm just afraid, that I will find the 2.4 mm width of the shank too much. Maybe I ask him to bring it down to 2 mm.

What do you think? Should I ask for corrections?

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I adore fishtail prongs which is what these look like so will pretty much always be in favour of them in a design! My fishtail prongs and almost all the ones I’ve seen flare at the top - do you want them to do this at all? They give a lovely squared off appearance that way (which you may not like of course!).
Overall I really really like this design as it’s pretty and balanced.
I would be cautious of diamonds on the bridge as they will likely eat any band you have sitting flush. Also a flush fit seems potentially difficult given the height of the bridge and how the stems curve outwards from the top of the bridge.. unless you already have a band in mind and its height is less than 1.6mm if I’m reading the CAD right for that section.
The 2.4mm width doesn’t seem chunky looking at the CAD but could you have it taper to 2.2 up the shoulders/along under the cathedral to look daintier but still retain some real estate on the shank and palmside to help stop it moving and the head of the ring flopping sideways?
Otherwise it looks gorgeous and I can’t wait to see it made.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@dkata - it's 2.4mm wide at the back. But it tapers, and it's only 1.6mm wide at the front near the head. 2.4mm wide at the back isn't particularly wide, and you'll need at least that width at the back to stop your ring from spinning, given that you are setting a large diamond.

I wouldn't change anything. :wavey:

dkata

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Got the ping @Matthews1127. I have some ideas, but they will have to wait until I get off work in 9 hours.

Oh yes, please! I would like to hear your ideas!

And @mrs-b thank you for your comment! You are completely right! Today I have learnt something new, namely, how to read correctly a CAD! And 1.6 mm is perfectly fine for my taste!

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh yes, please! I would like to hear your ideas!

And @mrs-b thank you for your comment! You are completely right! Today I have learnt something new, namely, how to read correctly a CAD! And 1.6 mm is perfectly fine for my taste!
Actually I think the 1.6mm is the height of the profile metal where the diamonds in the gallery are located. I don’t think the shank tapers at all.
But it’s an easy enough fix to let David know if that is what you want. I personally think 2.4 mm is fine for the shank bc I don’t like a shank that is too thin.
Also, I love the prongs.

dkata

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Actually I think the 1.6mm is the height of the profile metal where the diamonds in the gallery are located. I don’t think the shank tapers at all.
But it’s an easy enough fix to let David know if that is what you want. I personally think 2.4 mm is fine for the shank bc I don’t like a shank that is too thin.
Also, I love the prongs.
You may be right! My best bet is to ask David!

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
From a design perspective, I'm not really sure this reads to me as vintage. The only real vintage element is the prongs. Everything else is very clean and contemporary. I like that and I like the look, but it is what you wanted? The only run of side stones is the are where you could add some vintage details just by breaking them up with some shapes. A vintage ring would generally have three stones at the top and then end in a design detail (like this classic example. https://ivyandrose.com/products/0-8...tinum-engagement-ring-vintage-fishtail-prongs). Even if you want the longer run of stones on the shoulder, I might remove 1 or 2 and add a nice point detail like this to keep with the vintage feel -- but that is me. What makes your heart sing?

upload_2019-1-15_17-40-9.png

I think folks covered most of my thoughts. But, here are some with some repeats from above.
1) The diamonds on the bridge are fine provided the tables do not stick out beyond the sides of the shank. A wedding band will ride against the shank. This looks fine in this CAD.

2) I agree that the prongs being "outies" will make pairing a band more limiting. So, you have a couple of options to resolve that.
a - leave as it and deal with band-height limitation. This is fine if you envision a plain band or something with gypsy-set stones (like a Tiffany Etoile).

b-as DK to make those prongs "innies" that scoop inward.

c- You can have the prongs emerge along the sides rather than the middle. Like this one.
upload_2019-1-15_17-19-6.png
upload_2019-1-15_17-19-23.png

If you are going for a vintage look, I would not pinch at the top (like the Legato sleek). But, some milgrain would add a vintage touch.

I love fishtail prongs, but there are many many versions. DO you have a clear image of what you want?

There is a version of a fishtail that reduces the two side toes (the Erika Winters Laurel is an extreme version). Like this...

normal-jpg.517924

These are more like V'prongs, but with pointy toes.
l2649d-jpg.269055

These are so pretty. The side toes look to be wrapping around to the front. So, the middle toe is pointy, but the side toes have rounded end and seem to hug the middle toe. But, each toe is visible. Wonderful workmanship and deisgn. One of my favs. You also want to see the grooves of the toes all the way down - -which is in the CAD!

upload_2019-1-15_17-34-59.png

These are example of what I personally don't want my fishtail prongs to look like.
Top view. https://eragem.com/ar14942.html
Top and side. https://eragem.com/ar14939.html

You could also add some engraving (DK does lovely engraving -- this is from an antique ring) to add some vintage elements with the milgrain.
upload_2019-1-15_17-41-25.png

OK. My tome is over. I hope this helps...

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
I was thinking (what I now see rockysalamander already mentioned. .) I would lose a couple of the sidestones to allow more room for engraving. I like being able to see the engraving while I'm wearing my ring, but from the cad it looks like all you'll see is sidestones. I love the prongs in the cad btw.

dkata

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
From a design perspective, I'm not really sure this reads to me as vintage. The only real vintage element is the prongs. Everything else is very clean and contemporary. I like that and I like the look, but it is what you wanted? The only run of side stones is the are where you could add some vintage details just by breaking them up with some shapes. A vintage ring would generally have three stones at the top and then end in a design detail (like this classic example. https://ivyandrose.com/products/0-8...tinum-engagement-ring-vintage-fishtail-prongs). Even if you want the longer run of stones on the shoulder, I might remove 1 or 2 and add a nice point detail like this to keep with the vintage feel -- but that is me. What makes your heart sing?

upload_2019-1-15_17-40-9.png

I think folks covered most of my thoughts. But, here are some with some repeats from above.
1) The diamonds on the bridge are fine provided the tables do not stick out beyond the sides of the shank. A wedding band will ride against the shank. This looks fine in this CAD.

2) I agree that the prongs being "outies" will make pairing a band more limiting. So, you have a couple of options to resolve that.
a - leave as it and deal with band-height limitation. This is fine if you envision a plain band or something with gypsy-set stones (like a Tiffany Etoile).

b-as DK to make those prongs "innies" that scoop inward.

c- You can have the prongs emerge along the sides rather than the middle. Like this one.
upload_2019-1-15_17-19-6.png
upload_2019-1-15_17-19-23.png

If you are going for a vintage look, I would not pinch at the top (like the Legato sleek). But, some milgrain would add a vintage touch.

I love fishtail prongs, but there are many many versions. DO you have a clear image of what you want?

There is a version of a fishtail that reduces the two side toes (the Erika Winters Laurel is an extreme version). Like this...

normal-jpg.517924

These are more like V'prongs, but with pointy toes.
l2649d-jpg.269055

These are so pretty. The side toes look to be wrapping around to the front. So, the middle toe is pointy, but the side toes have rounded end and seem to hug the middle toe. But, each toe is visible. Wonderful workmanship and deisgn. One of my favs. You also want to see the grooves of the toes all the way down - -which is in the CAD!

upload_2019-1-15_17-34-59.png

These are example of what I personally don't want my fishtail prongs to look like.
Top view. https://eragem.com/ar14942.html
Top and side. https://eragem.com/ar14939.html

You could also add some engraving (DK does lovely engraving -- this is from an antique ring) to add some vintage elements with the milgrain.
upload_2019-1-15_17-41-25.png

OK. My tome is over. I hope this helps...

At first, thank you very much for your detailed reply! I really appreciate it! Unfortunately I could not reply earlier, as I was working, and than I had a playdate with my daughter's little friend and mother. But now, I'm here, and reading through everything.

I really like your first suggestion about the pointy detail, I may steal your inspiration picture, and send it to David. It may cost me some sidestones, but I like the idea.

The prongs are ok for me, as he is going to make also a matching band for me, and I have a few "flat" bands, what I could wear with it. I see very well what you mean, but I think, it is going to be OK for me.

The fishtail prongs were Davids idea, and I quite like the prongs, he has in the CAD. This was the inspiration picture, he has sent to me:
Prongs inspiration.png

By the way I should mention, that he won't be setting the stone, because I'm in Europe, and I wouldn't like to send the stone to him, so I have to use a local setter. I already know, that it is going to be a battle, to explain to him, what I would like, or should I say what I absolutely wouldn't like?

Engraving are going to be added to the shank, he also suggested this idea to me. He has sent me some possible engraving patterns, this is what I have liked the most:

Engraving pattern.jpg

I think, I just think it through once more, and send my answer to David. As soon as I have a new CAD, I'm going to update this thread!

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
At first, thank you very much for your detailed reply! I really appreciate it! Unfortunately I could not reply earlier, as I was working, and than I had a playdate with my daughter's little friend and mother. But now, I'm here, and reading through everything.

I really like your first suggestion about the pointy detail, I may steal your inspiration picture, and send it to David. It may cost me some sidestones, but I like the idea.

The prongs are ok for me, as he is going to make also a matching band for me, and I have a few "flat" bands, what I could wear with it. I see very well what you mean, but I think, it is going to be OK for me.

The fishtail prongs were Davids idea, and I quite like the prongs, he has in the CAD. This was the inspiration picture, he has sent to me:
Prongs inspiration.png

By the way I should mention, that he won't be setting the stone, because I'm in Europe, and I wouldn't like to send the stone to him, so I have to use a local setter. I already know, that it is going to be a battle, to explain to him, what I would like, or should I say what I absolutely wouldn't like?

Engraving are going to be added to the shank, he also suggested this idea to me. He has sent me some possible engraving patterns, this is what I have liked the most:

Engraving pattern.jpg

I think, I just think it through once more, and send my answer to David. As soon as I have a new CAD, I'm going to update this thread!

I love this engraving pattern. :love:

dkata

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Today in the night I've got my new CAD from David. We have 12 hours difference, so the communication is always a little bit delayed.

As you suggested, I have asked David about what height a band could be, in order to sit flush with the ring. He told me up to 1.8 mm, and that's fine for me. He also draw me a band in in one of the CAD's.
He also confirmed, that he is going to make the shank 2.2 mm wide.

@rockysalamander: David also incorporated the pointy ends on the shank, and removed a few diamonds. Here is, how it looks now:
18.01.2019 - setting.jpg

And with a band:
18.01.2019 - setting and band.jpg

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks great to me! Eager to see the finished piece

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is going to be beautiful!

dkata

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
So after not updating this thread for 2 months, I'm back.

Or course, it was not David, who took so long, but I had some life circumstances, and still have. Beginning February we - and I mean my 3.5 years old daughter and me - have caught the flu, and were down for 3 weeks. The flu got to my ears, and I had fluid in my right ear, and parallel my tinnitus begun. I have it already for 6 weeks. I had visited my TCM doctor about it, I have been also to an ENT physician, and nothing seems to help me. I take already ginseng, magnesium, high dose of vitamin C, Vitamin B complex, Q10 tablets. On Monday I have an appointment with an osteopath, to see, if I may have some tension in my shoulders.
If someone has some good idea, what else could help, please, just tell me. I would try everything, to get rid of it, I would even dance naked at full moon, if it would help.

But back to my ring. David was really a pleasure to work with. He is so easy to communicate, and I think, he is really quick. I think it took 3 weeks from approving the CAD to have the ring in my hands, and I'm located in Europe. He has quoted me a price inclusive shipping by Fedex, and the shipping took from Friday to Monday. He even was so nice, that he declared the setting as gold setting with moissanites, so I had to pay much less duty fees, than I have expected. This was the cherry on the top!
I would suggest everyone to work with him, as he has perfectly meet my expectations.

Here in Vienna I have taken the DK setting and my stone in the old Stuller setting to the stone setter. After the first glance he has just asked me, where I have this setting from? I told him the short story, and he was really impressed. He told me, that the ring has a very good craftmanship, and he hasn't seen such a nice looking setting for a long time. It took him 4 days to set my stone, and I'm really satisfied with the outcome.

Here a few pictures from the DK setting only:
9323C6B4-E158-466D-A758-AD3581CEECED.jpeg 09B63D5F-DA89-496F-9259-A4CC6EE936E9.jpeg 42AB028F-3CF1-4FA5-8D96-1BCA2C7793A8.jpeg E3211CD4-0848-43D4-8899-A8AC97D34E1A.jpeg 76753458-5468-44B6-9DEB-528241C5EB0B.jpeg

And the setting with my OEC:
C297FE6E-7AC1-4F6E-AE93-4298EA0546C7.jpeg AC06843A-37B6-460B-AE88-CA8303A424F4.jpeg A8773B70-C56C-4D86-855E-26D62FDF75AB.jpeg 41898D4C-ABB5-4C70-A8A7-AAFBBA5DC8E7.jpeg 0F41B6FA-C004-44A3-9168-97483A87E0C5.jpeg

I’m in love, and my stone is really at home now.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How gorgeous! DK did an amazing job! I love it!

LittleRed

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love it! What a great story from start to finish. It’s just beautiful! :kiss2:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful setting! DK did a great job!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Such a great outcome! David did an amazing job

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks amazing! Wonderful job by DK as usual!

HS4S_2

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Beautiful!

prinsad

Shiny_Rock
Premium
This is beyond gorgeous!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So after not updating this thread for 2 months, I'm back.

Or course, it was not David, who took so long, but I had some life circumstances, and still have. Beginning February we - and I mean my 3.5 years old daughter and me - have caught the flu, and were down for 3 weeks. The flu got to my ears, and I had fluid in my right ear, and parallel my tinnitus begun. I have it already for 6 weeks. I had visited my TCM doctor about it, I have been also to an ENT physician, and nothing seems to help me. I take already ginseng, magnesium, high dose of vitamin C, Vitamin B complex, Q10 tablets. On Monday I have an appointment with an osteopath, to see, if I may have some tension in my shoulders.
If someone has some good idea, what else could help, please, just tell me. I would try everything, to get rid of it, I would even dance naked at full moon, if it would help.

But back to my ring. David was really a pleasure to work with. He is so easy to communicate, and I think, he is really quick. I think it took 3 weeks from approving the CAD to have the ring in my hands, and I'm located in Europe. He has quoted me a price inclusive shipping by Fedex, and the shipping took from Friday to Monday. He even was so nice, that he declared the setting as gold setting with moissanites, so I had to pay much less duty fees, than I have expected. This was the cherry on the top!
I would suggest everyone to work with him, as he has perfectly meet my expectations.

Here in Vienna I have taken the DK setting and my stone in the old Stuller setting to the stone setter. After the first glance he has just asked me, where I have this setting from? I told him the short story, and he was really impressed. He told me, that the ring has a very good craftmanship, and he hasn't seen such a nice looking setting for a long time. It took him 4 days to set my stone, and I'm really satisfied with the outcome.

Here a few pictures from the DK setting only:
9323C6B4-E158-466D-A758-AD3581CEECED.jpeg 09B63D5F-DA89-496F-9259-A4CC6EE936E9.jpeg 42AB028F-3CF1-4FA5-8D96-1BCA2C7793A8.jpeg E3211CD4-0848-43D4-8899-A8AC97D34E1A.jpeg 76753458-5468-44B6-9DEB-528241C5EB0B.jpeg

And the setting with my OEC:
C297FE6E-7AC1-4F6E-AE93-4298EA0546C7.jpeg AC06843A-37B6-460B-AE88-CA8303A424F4.jpeg A8773B70-C56C-4D86-855E-26D62FDF75AB.jpeg 41898D4C-ABB5-4C70-A8A7-AAFBBA5DC8E7.jpeg 0F41B6FA-C004-44A3-9168-97483A87E0C5.jpeg

I’m in love, and my stone is really at home now.

Freaking gorgeous! :love:

@dkata I'm so sorry about your health issues and hope you find relief very soon.
Have you tried CBT? Hypnosis?

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wow that's a beautiful job, the design and workmanship is fabulous, lovely engraving in particular! It all looks stunning with your stone. Hope you do not take this the wrong way but perhaps it might be an idea to edit your post with regard to customs, if the wrong eyes see that I think it could cause some trouble.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results