shape
carat
color
clarity

Buying Moissanite from Tianyu Gems

sd_flp

Brilliant_Rock
I’m sitting at home now waiting for my princess earrings and OEC ring! :appl: Ella mailed it on Friday and I’m getting it today..Monday..It is signature required through DHL..You can sign up for alerts so you can see the progress..
I'm going to live vicariously through you since I want an OEC ring so bad. :kiss2::lol:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm going to live vicariously through you since I want an OEC ring so bad. :kiss2::lol:
Hahaha..but mine is supposedly colorless and I know you like them warm. I do detect warmth from the side in one of the pics she sent me..and I was counting on it not being truly colorless. If it is I’m happy though...I think having the earrings and ring in one box is making me crazy with excitement! :lol:

sd_flp

Brilliant_Rock
Hahaha..but mine is supposedly colorless and I know you like them warm. I do detect warmth from the side in one of the pics she sent me..and I was counting on it not being truly colorless. If it is I’m happy though...I think having the earrings and ring in one box is making me crazy with excitement! :lol:
Yeah, I wonder why that is (ie, the moissanites aren't truly colorless)? My moissanites from Mona are white like Tianyu's, but they're not as colorless as the AV moissanite I bought. Anyway, I still love looking at any OEC, colorless or not! :twisted:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yeah, I wonder why that is (ie, the moissanites aren't truly colorless)? My moissanites from Mona are white like Tianyu's, but they're not as colorless as the AV moissanite I bought. Anyway, I still love looking at any OEC, colorless or not! :twisted:
My princess cut pendant is colorless so really hoping my princess cut studs are too...That’s my main concern..The OEC should be colorless because that’s what I paid for....and I’m hoping it is..but if it was a tiny bit warm I would be okay with that..I’m hoping for the best!

bbk0885

Shiny_Rock
Thank you both! Just got a text from DHL that it will be delivered on Wednesday, and I’m pumped because I’m traveling on Thursday, so I’ll get to take it with me! Woohoo!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@sd_flp I originally ordered an emerald cut from Tianyu..but changed my mind to an OEC when I saw their IG of emerald cuts and saw how cloudy and warm they were...I was very happy I was able to change it to the OEC which I didn’t plan on ordering yet. That’s why I went with the AV for the emerald cut..and I’m so happy I did..because it’s beautiful and white.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you both! Just got a text from DHL that it will be delivered on Wednesday, and I’m pumped because I’m traveling on Thursday, so I’ll get to take it with me! Woohoo!
Yay! Me too..I’m leaving for Maryland on Friday morning so I can bring mine too!

sd_flp

Brilliant_Rock
@sd_flp I originally ordered an emerald cut from Tianyu..but changed my mind to an OEC when I saw their IG of emerald cuts and saw how cloudy and warm they were...I was very happy I was able to change it to the OEC which I didn’t plan on ordering yet. That’s why I went with the AV for the emerald cut..and I’m so happy I did..because it’s beautiful and white.
I get it; I wouldn't want a milky/warm emerald cut, either. I was looking to try a marquise from them a couple months back but I haven't been impressed with how they and their ovals looked, at least the ones I've seen on Instagram. I do like warmth with OECs, but I'd prefer my modern cuts to be as colorless as possible.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I get it; I wouldn't want a milky/warm emerald cut, either. I was looking to try a marquise from them a couple months back but I haven't been impressed with how they and their ovals looked, at least the ones I've seen on Instagram. I do like warmth with OECs, but I'd prefer my modern cuts to be as colorless as possible.
Exactly!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
It’s 4:11 and it’s not here yet! :(2

sd_flp

Brilliant_Rock
It’s 4:11 and it’s not here yet! :(2
Bummer! I was hoping you actually got them by now! Does tracking still say out for delivery?

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Bummer! I was hoping you actually got them by now! Does tracking still say out for delivery?
They’re here! I love the OEC but I know what you mean about it should be a little warmer. It’s blindingly white..but it’s so pretty! The setting is very light..and I was wondering if I should get it reset into a sturdier setting..but...I stacked it with some bands and it looks nice because it’s narrow... I may still reset it and use the setting for something else...I also love my princess earrings! The cut is so good! I promise to take pics tomorrow...

sd_flp

Brilliant_Rock
They’re here! I love the OEC but I know what you mean about it should be a little warmer. It’s blindingly white..but it’s so pretty! The setting is very light..and I was wondering if I should get it reset into a sturdier setting..but...I stacked it with some bands and it looks nice because it’s narrow... I may still reset it and use the setting for something else...I also love my princess earrings! The cut is so good! I promise to take pics tomorrow...
Yay!!! I'm glad you got them! I can't wait to see the pictures! :kiss2: So the OEC has no warmth, correct? Do the facets reflect well? That's my only issue with my colorless OEC; it's pretty and I like it, but I think if it were a tad warmer the facets would reflect a little better. Although, it might also have to do with the fact that my OEC is tiny! :lol:

Either way, I can't wait to see the pictures!!! :love:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yay!!! I'm glad you got them! I can't wait to see the pictures! :kiss2: So the OEC has no warmth, correct? Do the facets reflect well? That's my only issue with my colorless OEC; it's pretty and I like it, but I think if it were a tad warmer the facets would reflect a little better. Although, it might also have to do with the fact that my OEC is tiny! :lol:

Either way, I can't wait to see the pictures!!! :love:
The facets are putting on a great show...and they’re very crisp...It has no warmth at all...which is what I asked for..but a shade warmer would have been nice. When the sun hits it..omg..so sparkly and great depth..I’m not sure I’ll be able to capture it..The only thing I’m disappointed in is the setting..It feels very lightweight and cheap..but when I put it with other rings it looks good. It may be my fault asking for 14k.. I have 14k and I like it but there’s less metal in this ring..If I reset it..I’m going with platinum or a heavier 18k white gold like my engagement ring.

sd_flp

Brilliant_Rock
@Mamabean , well, you just convinced me that I have to get a loose OEC from Tianyu now. I am still trying to decide between the GH or IJ, but I may just get the GH. :love:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@Mamabean , well, you just convinced me that I have to get a loose OEC from Tianyu now. I am still trying to decide between the GH or IJ, but I may just get the GH. :love:
I think loose is the way to go! Who would set it for you? I want to find a premade setting and possibly have them set it..if I do reset it..which I think I may..=)2

sd_flp

Brilliant_Rock
I think loose is the way to go! Who would set it for you? I want to find a premade setting and possibly have them set it..if I do reset it..which I think I may..=)2
I have a jeweler in my area who does a lot of great custom work, although these past couple times I've been having him set my moissys and premade settings I've bought online. :lol: Thankfully he isn't judgmental. He's actually working on my AV moissy and bezel setting right now!

I thought about trying out one of the PS vendors on here, but I like my local jeweler a lot and I feel like going to someone else would be "cheating" on him. :oops2::lol-2:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a jeweler in my area who does a lot of great custom work, although these past couple times I've been having him set my moissys and premade settings I've bought online. :lol: Thankfully he isn't judgmental. He's actually working on my AV moissy and bezel setting right now!

I thought about trying out one of the PS vendors on here, but I like my local jeweler a lot and I feel like going to someone else would be "cheating" on him. :oops2::lol-2:
I was thinking about doing the same..Do you have any great websites for premade?
That’s funny about cheating on your jeweler! I feel that way about my engagement ring when I wear something else!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Can't wait to see!
I keep changing my mind between an oval, an OEC and an elongated cushion. Decisions...
I think you need to get one of each!
My family is getting annoyed with me because I keep staring at my new bling and they’re not getting fed! :lol:

sd_flp

Brilliant_Rock
I was thinking about doing the same..Do you have any great websites for premade?

Ah! I was just going to edit my post and tell you a vendor! :lol:

I bought a setting for my first Tianyu H&A from Ivy and Rose Vintage; I think they're great and a lot of PSers can vouch for them. They have some fine platinum pieces, too!:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/IvyandRoseVintage

Otherwise, I look for something from Stuller that my jeweler lets me buy since they're pretty reliable.

I did see a lot of GREAT premade settings/mountings at the Los Angeles Jewelry District, which is where I got my bezel for only $350! Unfortunately, the majority of them don't have an online presence; the place I bought my setting (Avetty Jewelers) don't have a website; otherwise, if they did I'd be buying some stuff from them right now because I'm not local to LA. :lol: This is just a sampling of what I saw: http://www.gojewelrydistrict.com/

I've thought about calling up one of these vendors to ask them if they'd send me pics of what they have via text or email, but I haven't. :oops: Anyway, hope this helps somewhat. :mrgreen2:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
306E29DA-9FAA-4DA8-B52C-988588E0425F.png
Ok family is rolling their eyes but here’s one photo..I tried so hard to get all the petals in..I took a zillion and they all look bad..but picked this one..Hopefully I can get a good one tomorrow..

Attachments

• 06959719-25B2-46B8-A342-43EB75FFA5FB.jpeg
    06959719-25B2-46B8-A342-43EB75FFA5FB.jpeg
    110.7 KB · Views: 22
  • 63BF35CE-3A73-43A3-B049-3FF8EF28BCFD.jpeg
    63BF35CE-3A73-43A3-B049-3FF8EF28BCFD.jpeg
    69.2 KB · Views: 20

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you need to get one of each!
My family is getting annoyed with me because I keep staring at my new bling and they’re not getting fed! :lol:

They know where you keep the cereal, don't they?????? :lol: No one who can pour cereal and milk into a bowl will ever have an excuse to go hungry, if you ask me ;)2

I have to agree about the "one of each." It really should be a rule for all sparkle lovers.

Your ring is beautiful! The moissy looks great!
What size did you get again?

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
They know where you keep the cereal, don't they?????? :lol: No one who can pour cereal and milk into a bowl will ever have an excuse to go hungry, if you ask me ;)2

I have to agree about the "one of each." It really should be a rule for all sparkle lovers.

Your ring is beautiful! The moissy looks great!
What size did you get again?
Thank you! It is so much prettier in person..There’s no leaves on the trees to get the filtered light..It’s a 8.5mm
Yes...My family is spoiled....:lol:

miafab

Rough_Rock
A little off topic here... the last time i bought from Tianyu was in october when i bought an 18k yellow gold bezel 8x7 old mine cut light yellow moissanite ring for $320 plus 5% paypal commission and $35 shipping fee.

I wanted a lab yellow sapphire in the same setting.
So today I was quoted $369 just for the setting, $39 for the lab sapphire plus the 5% and $35 shipping fees.

She says they didn't charge enough for the gold last time...

I don't know, I understand it was super cheap the 1st time but I'm feeling a little taken advantage of. How much would a 7x8 moissanite in lower color grades be, anyway. Does anyone know?

This is the 1st ring...

And now she says she didn't charge me for the moissanite last time either.

Thanks!! 20181026_162448.jpg 20181026_162330.jpg

Last edited:

sd_flp

Brilliant_Rock
A little off topic here... the last time i bought from Tianyu was in october when i bought an 18k yellow gold bezel 8x7 old mine cut light yellow moissanite ring for $320 plus 5% paypal commission and $35 shipping fee.

So today I was quoted $369 just for the setting, $39 for the lab sapphire plus the 5% and $35 shipping fees.

I don't know, I understand it was super cheap the 1st time but I'm feeling a little taken advantage of. How much would a 7x8 moissanite in lower color grades be, anyway. Does anyone know?

This is the 1st ring...

Their prices have gone up, it seems. I’ve never purchased jewelry from them but I am just going by what others have said. I tried getting a quote for a 5 stone bezel ring back in February (all GH stones, too) and the price ended up being more than their highest listed price that is in their website (for DEF colored moissys!).

I’m willing to pay if the quality was there and the return policy was easy, but no offense to Tianyu, they’re not. For the amount they were charging, I’d rather pay more to have my local jeweler set it. At least I know my jeweler can make a good bezel and fine milgrain.

I’m just going to buy Tianyu’s loose stones and maybe their silver line if I want nice costume jewelry. Have you thought about contacting Starsgem? Their prices haven’t gone up by that much and I’ve thought about having jewelry done from them instead.

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock

This is the 1st ring...

I got a price from Tianyu for a 3 stone ring with a 7mm round center and 5mm side stones, all GH, in 14k white gold and it was over $700. Last time I got a quote for just the loose stones it was under $200 SHIPPED if that tells you the price for the setting. I got a quote from StarsGem for the same ring and it was a little over $400.

I also got a price from SG for an 8x7 Old Mine Cut in IJ, and it was around $130 before shipping. I know Tianyu is way higher. I can get a 9k solitaire made by SG with the 8x7 IJ stone for $305 SHIPPED, so your pricing doesn’t sound unreasonable from what I’ve seen from Tianyu’s quotes. Their prices have absolutely skyrocketed in the past few months. So much so, that I can have my three stone made by David Klass using Tianyu loose stones, and it’ll only cost me a couple hundred more. No way I’d choose Tianyu over DK for that small of a price difference, but that’s just my opinion.

I’d try StarsGem or Mona (formerly worked for SG) since she’s gone out on her own. I hear she’s wonderful to work with.

miafab

Rough_Rock
Their prices have gone up, it seems. I’ve never purchased jewelry from them but I am just going by what others have said. I tried getting a quote for a 5 stone bezel ring back in February (all GH stones, too) and the price ended up being more than their highest listed price that is in their website (for DEF colored moissys!).

I’m willing to pay if the quality was there and the return policy was easy, but no offense to Tianyu, they’re not. For the amount they were charging, I’d rather pay more to have my local jeweler set it. At least I know my jeweler can make a good bezel and fine milgrain.

I’m just going to buy Tianyu’s loose stones and maybe their silver line if I want nice costume jewelry. Have you thought about contacting Starsgem? Their prices haven’t gone up by that much and I’ve thought about having jewelry done from them instead.

Thanks for the input. I'm definitely reaching out to Starsgem then, any tips on how to contact them? Whattsapp would be nice!
Thanks again!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results