shape
carat
color
clarity

Purchased H&A Cushion through BGD, now onto setting with DK

tr0janman

Rough_Rock
@rockysalamander @sledge @mrs-b @SimoneDi @kal2021 Does everyone here feel the double claw prongs outperforms the heart-shaped prongs (leaf like prongs) for a cushion cut diamond? I thought the leaf prongs were the way to go, but if everyone else feels the double claws are, I'm happy to reach back out to DK once again. I hope he's not too annoyed with me :boohoo:

This is the face-up view of my diamond as a reference.
Screen Shot 2019-01-25 at 8.52.29 AM.png

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@tr0janman -

For what it's worth, I've done, literally, dozens of projects with DKJ. I know for a fact they won't be annoyed with you.

Personally, I'd ask for low profile double prongs. Single prongs will be right on the tips of the cushion. That will give a protuberant effect that might look a tad like Mickey Mouse ears (there's a lot about this sort of effect on PriceScope). It will also detract from the elegant cushion shape. I'd go with double prongs, but ask them to make sure they're parallel (not splayed), and not too far apart; prongs don't have to be too far apart to start looking like it's an 8 prong ring - rather than a ring with 4 pairs of prongs (make sense?). Also, even if they're the tiniest bit apart, it will take them off the extreme corners, killing off the effect of looking like there's a blob on each corner, while still accentuating the cushion appearance.

I think that will tick all your boxes and give you the look you're after.

tr0janman

Rough_Rock
@tr0janman -
For what it's worth, I've done, literally, dozens of projects with DKJ. I know for a fact they won't be annoyed with you.

Haha thank you! As you can imagine, this is my first time doing a custom jewelry and I feel like such a burden to DK. Fortunately, I do have quite some time before I will propose so no rush on my side of things :)

Personally, I'd ask for low profile double prongs. Single prongs will be right on the tips of the cushion. That will give a protuberant effect that might look a tad like Mickey Mouse ears (there's a lot about this sort of effect on PriceScope). It will also detract from the elegant cushion shape. I'd go with double prongs, but ask them to make sure they're parallel (not splayed), and not too far apart; prongs don't have to be too far apart to start looking like it's an 8 prong ring - rather than a ring with 4 pairs of prongs (make sense?). Also, even if they're the tiniest bit apart, it will take them off the extreme corners, killing off the effect of looking like there's a blob on each corner, while still accentuating the cushion appearance.

I think I understand what you're saying about the Mickey Mouse ears look. Instagramming #cushioncut is littered with this look.

I've added some detailed notes that I plan to send back to DK in a few minutes and one last time (hopefully) :)

DKJ-Notes-2019-01-25.jpg

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@rockysalamander @sledge @mrs-b @SimoneDi @kal2021 Does everyone here feel the double claw prongs outperforms the heart-shaped prongs (leaf like prongs) for a cushion cut diamond? I thought the leaf prongs were the way to go, but if everyone else feels the double claws are, I'm happy to reach back out to DK once again. I hope he's not too annoyed with me :boohoo:

Yes to double claw prongs. Double prongs allow the individual prongs to be much thinner and will really compliment the cushion shape well.

You can take a look at @mrs-b beautiful three stone by DK, that’s exactly the type of prongs I would ask for.
Also, I would ask for PT 950Ru alloy, it has a beautiful grey hue which will contrast nicely with the white center stone.

P.S. @mrs-b thank you for your kind remarks!

Last edited:

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think your most recent markup and input from others has your design getting quite squared away. Maybe post the revised CAD, but I have a good feeling about the design from here...

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey @tr0janman, you saw my thread when I did my custom setting. I had quite a few revisions, emails, conversations, etc before we got it right. I never felt like they got annoyed or put out with me. They were good people to work with and I'd do business with them again as a result.

I'm not overly concerned about structural or durability issues. I don't think anyone here would let you make that mistake. Nor would DK as they don't want you having issues.

This is an aesthetic issue. Below is a picture I assembled to help better understand. You can see how the BGD H&A cushion and round look very, very similar.

Left to right:
AV antique cushion cut, modern cushion cut, BGD H&A cushion cut & BGD H&A round

compare.jpg

This is also an interesting read. It talks about how the labs measure BGD H&A cushion stones. Unlike most cushions that take true L & W measurements, the BGD cushions take a W and diagonal measurement. Looking strictly at dimensions, one may assume their stone is rectangular; however, there stones are typically more square.

https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/brian-gavins-cushion-hearts-and-arrows

Cushion-Diameter-3-up1.jpg

The symmetrical cuts, H&A pattern, etc are great as it picks up the positives of a round but also it makes it appear more similar to a round. By using the double prongs, we are trying to help accentuate the look so it isn't mistaken for a round.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
By the way when I bought my fiancee's BGD stone, I liked having the larger version of the photos that I downloaded and archived on my computer. Suggest you do the same. ;)2

Here are YOUR pictures in the larger versions.

still.jpg

still1.jpg

AGS-104101952009-ASET.jpg

AGS-104101952009-IDEAL.jpg

AGS-104101952009-HEART.jpg

kal2021

Brilliant_Rock
@tr0janman -

I think that will tick all your boxes and give you the look you're after.

I agree completely! Simple and elegant thin double parallel low profile prongs!

kal2021

Brilliant_Rock

Gorgeous stone! I prefer the double claw prongs! What Mrs B said was a perfect explanation on what to ask for IMO! And don’t worry about annoying anyone - he wants you to be happy!

kal2021

Brilliant_Rock
Yes a full eternity I hear is a bit tricky. Wait are both of those images the novela? It seems one of the wedding bands has larger stones? Or are my eyes playing tricks on me?

No the thin one is the novela. The other one is a the Tiffany embrace 7 stone .57 tcw. I alternate and she may want to at some point too or prefer one over the other. The fun part is shopping for the right band once she has her e ring! And you may be surprised. She will likely wear the e ring more often than you think!

tr0janman

Rough_Rock
Yes, I personally owned a 1.556ct J SI2 BGD cushion.

Here is a pic of it, size 5.5 for reference.
7A70F534-1652-4029-875D-F24F35AB4E98.jpeg

Wow thats a J? That looks pretty good on platinum, I presume? Can you notice the hue on the diamond when looking at that particular ring?

tr0janman

Rough_Rock
By the way when I bought my fiancee's BGD stone, I liked having the larger version of the photos that I downloaded and archived on my computer. Suggest you do the same. ;)2

Here are YOUR pictures in the larger versions.

still.jpg

still1.jpg

AGS-104101952009-ASET.jpg

AGS-104101952009-IDEAL.jpg

AGS-104101952009-HEART.jpg

Yep! Downloaded all of this so that way my gf can see it later when I finally propose. I'm actually also having BGD send the loose diamond over to me. I should receive it next Tuesday and will be able to take ASET, Idealscopes, etc myself.

I ended up buying a used kit on ebay so she can have some fun later. Or maybe it's so I can have fun looking at it. hahaha. :naughty:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Used-Diamo...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

tr0janman

Rough_Rock
I think your most recent markup and input from others has your design getting quite squared away. Maybe post the revised CAD, but I have a good feeling about the design from here...

I ended up adding 1 or 2 more comments to it before sending it out and organized it better. Also provided him likely exact measurements of crown, pavilion and girdle heights based on math in hopes that it will allow a smoother transition from petal to claw.

tr0janman

Rough_Rock
Woohoo! Got an update from DK!

50720-QUAD (5).jpg

I do like this, but it does still feel a bit off. the W's are certainly creative but I still want the middle point of the W's to be underneath the petals if that makes sense.

I also am not a fan of the flat on the outer shank I realized.

Here are my notes:

DK-Notes-2019-01-29.jpg

Please let me know if there's anything else that I should add.

Edit: I've updated my notes slightly to this version instead now:

DK-Notes-2019-01-29.jpg

Last edited:

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow thats a J? That looks pretty good on platinum, I presume? Can you notice the hue on the diamond when looking at that particular ring?

Yes, it was a pretty white facing J! The color was noticeable when compared to whiter meleè in some environments, but not always. The setting was WG actually.

Woohoo! Got an update from DK!

50720-QUAD (5).jpg

I do like this, but it does still feel a bit off. the W's are certainly creative but I still want the middle point of the W's to be underneath the petals if that makes sense.

I also am not a fan of the flat on the outer shank I realized.

Here are my notes:

DK-Notes-2019-01-29.jpg

Please let me know if there's anything else that I should add.

The new CAS looks nice! I like your suggestions. The only thing I would ask for is a softly rounded shank, similar to LMs.

tr0janman

Rough_Rock
Yes, it was a pretty white facing J! The color was noticeable when compared to whiter meleè in some environments, but not always. The setting was WG actually.

The new CAS looks nice! I like your suggestions. The only thing I would ask for is a softly rounded shank, similar to LMs.

I agree, very white facing. It’s beautiful

Thanks for the suggestions @SimoneDi

tr0janman

Rough_Rock
@m1918 Oh yes, a few more back and forth with DK. It really is interesting. Making custom jewelry with an individual is certainly kind of tough. I'm fortunate that I know how to use photoshop pretty well and can detail out what I'm thinking in a way that can potentially be easy to understand; but then again, this is my opinion. To him, it may not be easy to understand, right? It definitely requires patience and clear messaging.

Either way, I'm happy to report that I've finally sent in the diamond about two weeks ago and have approved a CAD design from DK. I got an email from DK today mentioning that the ring will be ready tomorrow and is being final polished.

I'm pretty pumped about this. I'll post again when I get more information about the progress on the ring (and hopefully he sends some cool shots). All in all, this whole process with DK has been amazing and he's been generally pretty responsive (usually always got back to me within a day or two).

m1918

Shiny_Rock
can’t wait to see the final result!

tr0janman

Rough_Rock
Ok I promised an update but I got a bit busy because I just started a new job.

I received the ring! However, I am an idiot and had to send it back to DK because I tried to hold it with some of those diamond holding tweezers in order to not get fingerprints on it; but instead...scratching it instead. :doh::wall:

Nonetheless, I have some pretty cool shots from DK and he sent me an amazing video, but I definitely don't want to upload it here in case DK Jewelry decides to upload it to their instagram.

Here are some additional CADs he sent since I last posted a CAD.

50720-QUAD (7).jpg 50720-QUAD (8).jpg

The above didn't feel right and I gave lots of notes here and there.

Here is the final CAD we landed on:

50720-quad (10).jpg

And here is the end result photos from the DK team:

DJKPV19_0305_SOLI_ 50720 -- 1.jpg DJKPV19_0305_SOLI_ 50720 -- 3.jpg DJKPV19_0306_SR_  -- 2.jpg DJKPV19_0306_SR_  -- 1.jpg

And some additional shots I took on my hand:

IMG_1944.jpg IMG_1985.jpg IMG_1986.jpg

Emily from BGD also sent me a h&a viewer along with my diamond so here are some additional fun photos that I can show you. Very difficult to take these shots and the photos don't do it justice, but still, here is a personal ASET and hearts photo.

View attachment 681069 View attachment 681068

I think this turned out really beautifully and I'm so glad that DK was patient with me with all 10 of our CADs haha. I love how dainty it looks. It's also got a slightly classic feel with a little twist which I believe my girlfriend will love.

I also put the ring on her finger while she was sleeping just to make sure it fits correctly hahahaha. Thanks everyone here that contributed, inquired, and helped out!

@rockysalamander @sledge @mrs-b @SimoneDi @kal2021 @m1918

Last edited:

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
The diamond is beautiful! And you did an awesome job on the setting!

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Again David Klass knocks it out of the park.. this setting is really perfect and I wonder how many cushion lovers will 'borrow' it.. congratulations!!!!!

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@tr0janman such an awesome update! The finished ring is absolutely gorgeous! :love: Great job on testing it on her finger when she was sleeping :D

Can’t wait for more pics after the proposal!

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
she was probably "fake sleeping" and secretly screaming inside wanting to look at it...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results