shape
carat
color
clarity

UK jeweler does not grade gems, concern?

Carcosa

Rough_Rock
So I am looking for a Sapphire ring webshop in the UK. I have come across both Glamira and thediamondstore. Now at the latter, they don't display quality in the sense of A, AA, or AAA. Just that the rings are from Thailand and that they're unheated, I've asked and they state that they do not grade the rings. What do you guys think, should this be a concern? I know my partner would like the design better from thediamondstore, but with Glamira you can handpick the quality. Obviously I want value for money and make sure she gets an adequate stone. (budget is around 2000 pounds)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Grading of A, AA, AAA and such isn’t standard. They vary from store to store. CS should be selected on an individual basis.

suzanne2

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi @Carcosa, The grading of AA or AAA doesn't make any sense for sapphires. If you can tell us what size and shape you are looking for, we can recommend stones to help you. $2600 USD will buy you a nice stone.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is that the actual stone you will receive or an approximate (like or similar)? That's the part I haven't figured out yet.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t see any independent lab confirming their sapphires are untreated, only their word.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would absolutely not buy this. No lab report, no guarantee of what you're getting, no ability to even pick what stone you get.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Deathspi

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Lab reports still aren’t the standard here in the UK. Some jewellers will offer an in-house CoA, but honestly, most people don’t know or care about them. I think they’re becoming more common with diamonds, but not with CS yet.

Speaking of the whole ‘AAA’ thing, I completely agree with them being essentially useless because they are just an opinion and can vary wildly, but it doesn’t help that The Birmingham Assay Office grade tanzanite for jewellers using that system, so people think that’s the standard thing.

Deathspi

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I'll admit I don't know how much it would cost in taxes to buy a ring from the us, but here are options from a highly regarded vendor on these boards. You can see exactly what you're getting and the quality of the sapphire and the diamonds.

http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/109ct-blue-oval-sapphire-ring-r8264

http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/132ct-blue-cushion-sapphire-ring-r8502

From my (many!) experiences importing from the US, you can expect to pay around a third of the items value...*sob*

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lab reports still aren’t the standard here in the UK. Some jewellers will offer an in-house CoA, but honestly, most people don’t know or care about them. I think they’re becoming more common with diamonds, but not with CS yet.

Speaking of the whole ‘AAA’ thing, I completely agree with them being essentially useless because they are just an opinion and can vary wildly, but it doesn’t help that The Birmingham Assay Office grade tanzanite for jewellers using that system, so people think that’s the standard thing.
Depending on price, I might not insist on a lab report. But I would need to be buying from a trusted vendor AND be able to see exactly what I was buying. That's my biggest concern about OPs ring he linked. A big jeweler (seems like mall quality) that doesn't grade and doesn't let you see what you're getting, but is charging for "unheated" stones. No way.

Deathspi

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Depending on price, I might not insist on a lab report. But I would need to be buying from a trusted vendor AND be able to see exactly what I was buying. That's my biggest concern about OPs ring he linked. A big jeweler (seems like mall quality) that doesn't grade and doesn't let you see what you're getting, but is charging for "unheated" stones. No way.

Completely agree with you on wanting to see the stone you’re getting, but again, that’s the norm unfortunatly. It’s pretty awful really, you go to some of the websites for supposedly ‘high end’ jewellers here and sometimes they won’t even tell you the weight, let alone treatments!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Carcosa

Rough_Rock
I'll admit I don't know how much it would cost in taxes to buy a ring from the us, but here are options from a highly regarded vendor on these boards. You can see exactly what you're getting and the quality of the sapphire and the diamonds.

http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/109ct-blue-oval-sapphire-ring-r8264

http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/132ct-blue-cushion-sapphire-ring-r8502

Thank you for showing me that lovely ring. The only thing is, but maybe it's just me, it looks like it's tiny if I look at the finger photo?

A third of the item on import is acceptable for me. Now I am only worried about how long it would take to get here and how it would work if the size is incorrect (shipping costs and such). I will reach out to them. :)

Last edited:

clumberlove

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for showing me that lovely ring. A third of the item on import is acceptable for me. Now I am only worried about how long it would take to get here and how it would work if the size is incorrect (shipping costs and such). I will reach out to them. :)

Any decent local jeweller can easily resize. That would be your best bet I think. I'm in the UK too, shipping costs are usually £20-30 and take 1-2 weeks depending on which postal company is used. Be prepared for it to sit in customs for a while on the tracking. You have to pay the import fees to release the item to you and there is usually a handling fee as well. As @Deathspi says about a third in fees is about right.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for showing me that lovely ring. The only thing is, but maybe it's just me, it looks like it's tiny if I look at the finger photo?

A third of the item on import is acceptable for me. Now I am only worried about how long it would take to get here and how it would work if the size is incorrect (shipping costs and such). I will reach out to them. :)
Which ring are you looking at? The more expensive one is almost the exact same size as the one you were looking at online. The first one ($1800) is smaller, unfortunately. But the stones (both diamond and sapphire) will be a million times better in quality.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Edit. The more expensive one ($2300 USD) is almost identical in both price and size (if you convert to pounds). It'll just be in a totally different league in terms of quality. You can also reach out to David (owner of DBL), and ask him if he's willing to give a small "pricescope" discount to offset your costs for shipping/taxes. It never hurts to ask, especially if you are nice about it.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Remember ct and spread (mm) aren’t the same due to the cut quality.

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

It’s 20% import VAT, plus around 3% duty, so more like 23% than 33%. And I agree - size it locally.

Carcosa

Rough_Rock
Edit. The more expensive one ($2300 USD) is almost identical in both price and size (if you convert to pounds). It'll just be in a totally different league in terms of quality. You can also reach out to David (owner of DBL), and ask him if he's willing to give a small "pricescope" discount to offset your costs for shipping/taxes. It never hurts to ask, especially if you are nice about it.

I like the design of the 1800 one better (more importantly, I think my partner will prefer it). I've already been in touch and they send me a better picture with the full hand, where the size is actually not bad at all, it's not huge but that is not neccesary, as long as I am getting quality.

Btw really appreciate your help in pointing me in this direction.

They also adviced to resize locally if required, which is fine.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the design of the 1800 one better (more importantly, I think my partner will prefer it). I've already been in touch and they send me a better picture with the full hand, where the size is actually not bad at all, it's not huge but that is not neccesary, as long as I am getting quality.

Btw really appreciate your help in pointing me in this direction.

They also adviced to resize locally if required, which is fine.
Yay!! So happy that you're going with them. David is amazing, and the quality is critical in a ring like this. I don't think it'll look small at all once it's on her finger. And you're doing the right thing by choosing what style *she* would prefer. Sometimes guys go astray anf ignore their partner's preferences. That's almost always a mistake. Keep us posted!!!

voce

Ideal_Rock
(more importantly, I think my partner will prefer it)
I have many, many guy friends, and it makes me cringe when I hear something like this. What you THINK she wants may not be what she actually wants, as my friends have often learned. It's always a good idea to let her pick for herself. Surprise should be worked into the proposal itself, and the ring itself should be her pick.

Edit-Ask her, and turn the “think” into a know.

strawrose

Brilliant_Rock
I have many, many guy friends, and it makes me cringe when I hear something like this. What you THINK she wants may not be what she actually wants, as my friends have often learned. It's always a good idea to let her pick for herself. Surprise should be worked into the proposal itself, and the ring itself should be her pick.

Same. My husband almost bought me a princess cut engagement ring, thinking I liked the cut. We ended up with a cushion to compromise.

Carcosa

Rough_Rock

Not sure, a proposal with an empty box?

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I imported my ring in to the UK, I had to pay the 20%. VAT on it.

Anne111

Shiny_Rock
grading CS in A, AA etc reeks of incompetence. From such people a guarantee of no-heat is worth about ..all.

voce

Ideal_Rock
Not sure, a proposal with an empty box?

Pick out the ring before you propose, and hang on to the ring until you surprise her with the actual proposal. That's way preferable to getting surprised with the wrong ring. She'll be excited you're buying a ring, but she will have to wait for your proposal to actually wear it. This way you know it's the right ring, in the right size.

This was how my fiance did it, and I'm more than happy with how it turned out. Or I guess, you can buy the ring first, propose within the return period, and offer her to pick out whichever ring she would want within your budget range.

Last edited:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Remember that once resized, the ring is almost always no longer valid for a refund or exchange.

Carcosa

Rough_Rock
Yay!! So happy that you're going with them. David is amazing, and the quality is critical in a ring like this. I don't think it'll look small at all once it's on her finger. And you're doing the right thing by choosing what style *she* would prefer. Sometimes guys go astray anf ignore their partner's preferences. That's almost always a mistake. Keep us posted!!!

They just told me the sapphire is heat treated , this gives me some doubt. Curious to find your thoughts.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results