shape
carat
color
clarity

Curious if we got a decent deal on the sapphire for my Ering

KLC

Shiny_Rock
My fiancee purchased a loose sapphire from James Allen that we since had set in my engagement ring. I was curious if anyone could weigh in on whether or not the stone was worth what he paid for it and whether or not it is of good quality. I will include the GIA description of the stone from the James Allen website along with pictures from their website and pictures of the stone after being set in the ring. It is a certified stone weighing 0.64ct that has been heat treated. He paid $320 for the loose stone. Screenshot_2019-01-02-22-53-08~2.png received_2254891978121157.png Screenshot_2019-02-06-00-01-55~2.png

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations on your engagement. That seems a very fair price for the lovely sapphire. It’s not too dark and it’s evenly toned. Love that setting style, it really showcases the sapphire.
Wear it with much love and happiness.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is heated only? Heating can mean that it had other treatment as well. Unless the lab report specifically says “heat only,” one cannot rule out diffusion. However, I think the price was fair iand your ring is lovely. Enjoy it!!

Reactions: KLC

KLC

Shiny_Rock
It is heated only? Heating can mean that it had other treatment as well. Unless the lab report specifically says “heat only,” one cannot rule out diffusion. However, I think the price was fair iand your ring is lovely. Enjoy it!!
Thank you. All the lab report says under treatments is "heated". But I was under the impression that all treatments had to be listed so now I'm not sure. I'll have to look into that further.

aac2013

Shiny_Rock
This seems like a reasonable price and looks lovely. One thing to note though, is that the above document you posted is not a GIA report. Rather it is a piece of paper from James Allan that is signed by someone in-house with a GIA graduate gemologist degree/certification. This is very different than a GIA report which must come from GIA directly. Just because the individual receives training by GIA does not mean they grade on behalf of GIA. I am in no way suggesting you should have your stone unset and sent to GIA but just explaining the difference. Enjoy your lovely ring and congratulations on the engagement!

KLC

Shiny_Rock
This seems like a reasonable price and looks lovely. One thing to note though, is that the above document you posted is not a GIA report. Rather it is a piece of paper from James Allan that is signed by someone in-house with a GIA graduate gemologist degree/certification. This is very different than a GIA report which must come from GIA directly. Just because the individual receives training by GIA does not mean they grade on behalf of GIA. I am in no way suggesting you should have your stone unset and sent to GIA but just explaining the difference. Enjoy your lovely ring and congratulations on the engagement!
Thanks. It actually came with an IGI certification which surprised me because I was expecting a GIA certificate after seeing the picture on the website. I had never heard of IGI before but I'm not very knowledgeable on gemstones. I just knew I didn't want the usual diamond ering that most people get.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IGI isn't favourably looked upon for diamonds nor coloured gemstones.

KLC

Shiny_Rock
IGI isn't favourably looked upon for diamonds nor coloured gemstones.
I read that online. That's why I was curious if the stone was actually a good price and quality.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Diffusion is also under "heat only".

In any case, it seems a fair price for the quality.

Reactions: KLC
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results