shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with Diamond for 40th Wedding Anniversary

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
@mchap ... I almost forgot! Now you’ll have to keep that blinding stone clean! I think most of us use dishwashing soap and a soft toothbrush for daily cleaning ... and I would recommend a little ultrasonic cleaner for about once every 1-2 weeks, maybe less, depending ... the microscopic dirt and oils can really make a difference in how your diamond looks. You can get a little Magnasonic or similar brand (I have a Fosman and it’s virtually identical) for $30 - $40 on Amazon that will last about 3-4 years (from what I’ve read), or you can spend big dollars, around $400 for a top end one like Elma that will probably last a lifetime ... the difference is mainly the tub material that is thinner in the less expensive brands, and the ultrasonic action wears spots away in it. I would suggest using an ultrasonic cleaner with it, hot distilled water (to prevent spotting), and not to place the ring on the bottom of a metal basket or directly on the bottom of the ultrasonic tub to avoid scratches. Some have plastic baskets - otherwise you can put the ring and some water in a little zip lock bag or find a way to suspend the ring into the tub. Rinse with distilled water, and using a hairdryer to dry can help prevent water spots too.

You’ll be surprised how quickly your diamond gets dirty!

Ok, my unsolicited advice is now done!

I hope you’re not getting much done because you’re mesmerized by your ring, lol :wavey:

mchap

Rough_Rock
OMG what a gorgeous set! I am a halo girl all the way, but something about this type of classic solitaire makes me totally understand the appeal. It's just so classic and timeless.

EDIT. if you don't mind me asking, what size is your finger? The proportions are just outstanding!
I wear a 5.75-6. This is a size 6 setting.

mchap

Rough_Rock
@mchap ... I almost forgot! Now you’ll have to keep that blinding stone clean! I think most of us use dishwashing soap and a soft toothbrush for daily cleaning ... and I would recommend a little ultrasonic cleaner for about once every 1-2 weeks, maybe less, depending ... the microscopic dirt and oils can really make a difference in how your diamond looks. You can get a little Magnasonic or similar brand (I have a Fosman and it’s virtually identical) for $30 - $40 on Amazon that will last about 3-4 years (from what I’ve read), or you can spend big dollars, around $400 for a top end one like Elma that will probably last a lifetime ... the difference is mainly the tub material that is thinner in the less expensive brands, and the ultrasonic action wears spots away in it. I would suggest using an ultrasonic cleaner with it, hot distilled water (to prevent spotting), and not to place the ring on the bottom of a metal basket or directly on the bottom of the ultrasonic tub to avoid scratches. Some have plastic baskets - otherwise you can put the ring and some water in a little zip lock bag or find a way to suspend the ring into the tub. Rinse with distilled water, and using a hairdryer to dry can help prevent water spots too.

You’ll be surprised how quickly your diamond gets dirty!

Ok, my unsolicited advice is now done!

I hope you’re not getting much done because you’re mesmerized by your ring, lol :wavey:
Thanks so much! That was going to be my next question to the forum. So a soft brush and dishwashing liquid for daily cleaning. I will go on Amazon and look for the other items you mentioned. I would be afraid to drop my diamond anywhere to be cleaned. I have a small jar of ring cleaner that I used for my other ring. I could let it soak and it had a little brush. Are you saying to stay away from something like that.

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks so much! That was going to be my next question to the forum. So a soft brush and dishwashing liquid for daily cleaning. I will go on Amazon and look for the other items you mentioned. I would be afraid to drop my diamond anywhere to be cleaned. I have a small jar of ring cleaner that I used for my other ring. I could let it soak and it had a little brush. Are you saying to stay away from something like that.

I have a jar of ring cleaner but I haven’t tried it yet .... the idea of dipping the ring in strong chemicals doesn’t appeal to me, and I’m a little scared to try it. Honestly, I really don’t know about those type of cleaners at all so can’t say whether to stay away. I would be more hesitant with a plated ring than platinum. @Dancing Fire just posted a thread about a spray cleaner that looks interesting and that would be a chemical cleaner. I haven’t seen any other posts about them. Maybe they’re just fine :think:

Maybe some other PS people can give some advice about the jar cleaners?

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
If you don't have these, get em for emergency eye wash. I ended up using them for cleaning my diamond more often though :lol:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075VDH8N5/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Use basic Dawn soap (has no lotion or other additives) and dilute the first cup 50/50 with water, and if you want soak your ring just before brushing with very soft brush or toothbrush. Be sure to close the drain and rinse the ring under running warm water.

Put distilled water in the second cup, and give the ring a final rinse. Shake away the excess water and let it dry. Done! You can buy some lint-free camera lens cleaning paper to help dry it out, but it's not necessary and I've noticed they often leave lint particles no matter what brand.

Your diamond will lose sparkle and get dirty every day! I have a little travel container filled with Dawn and carry it around with me when I travel, and keep the small bottle near my sink.

Don't bother buying jewelry clearing solutions - many of them will actually eventually slowly coat the diamond with grimes and chemicals that'll be hard to remove eventually. In such case, you can dip your ring in denatured alcohol for about 10 minutes to remove the coating. Denatured alcohol is also good for final rinse because it evaporates up, but try not to touch the alcohol to your skin (not good for health). Don't use rubbing alcohol (Isopropyl) because it contains propylene that coats diamond surface and wont dry off clean, unless you wash the diamond again after the dip.

No need to buy an ultrasonic cleaner using the above procedures, but if you have more intricate jewelry pieces, using ultrasonic cleaner does help once in a while but I pretty much don't use mine and it takes up space.

Kaycee2018

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If you don't have these, get em for emergency eye wash. I ended up using them for cleaning my diamond more often though :lol:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075VDH8N5/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

How funny! I have two of these on my vanity (one with distilled water, the other with 91% isopropyl alcohol) for quick daily washes.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DSXNIUE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They are the perfect size for rings and the lids prevent evaporation (I dump and refill them every few days). But this is the first I've heard about not using isopropyl alcohol! I've been dipping in 91% isopropyl alcohol (heard it should be at least 90%) for quick rinses to avoid water spots. Yikes!

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
How funny! I have two of these on my vanity (one with distilled water, the other with 91% isopropyl alcohol) for quick daily washes.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DSXNIUE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They are the perfect size for rings and the lids prevent evaporation (I dump and refill them every few days). But this is the first I've heard about not using isopropyl alcohol! I've been dipping in 91% isopropyl alcohol (heard it should be at least 90%) for quick rinses to avoid water spots. Yikes!

haha, it's a "rubbing" alcohol for a reason. It contains lubricant!
No need to worry. It's perfectly usable and doesn't cause buildup as in other specialty cleaners. But if you look under a loupe, you'll notice a bit of rainbow film on the diamond. I have used it as a dip but I make sure I rinse out with distilled water.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I learned a trick from an appraiser in New Orleans who did several appraisals for me. He uses an ultrasonic with HOT water and Mr. Clean Citrus. My Er stone is an asscher and I think they call dibs on the grimmest stone on the planet.

I find dawn and toothbrush just doesn’t work when compared to an ultrasonic. (But I also inspect mine with a loupe when done).

Really, the best thing is an ultrasonic and then a steam (I use a kettle and a hemostat to hold it) and then a blow dry or canned air. This gets it spotless, and I mean spotless.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I received my diamond ring last night! My heart dropped! It is beautiful! The Vache 113 is also beautiful and I a glad I did not alter it. I will post photos later. So much sparkle and fire! Vatche-6-Prong-Solitaire-Engagement-Ring-in-Platinum.jpg Vatche-6-Prong-Solitaire-Engagement-Ring-with-Matching-Wedding-Band-in-Platinum.jpg

I LOVE the prongs— talking prongs are nice, but I find they get caught on many things and I’m tired of pulling hair out of mine.

Your ring is GORGEOUS and I’m late to the party, but congratulations on the baby!

mchap

Rough_Rock
I learned a trick from an appraiser in New Orleans who did several appraisals for me. He uses an ultrasonic with HOT water and Mr. Clean Citrus. My Er stone is an asscher and I think they call dibs on the grimmest stone on the planet.

I find dawn and toothbrush just doesn’t work when compared to an ultrasonic. (But I also inspect mine with a loupe when done).

Really, the best thing is an ultrasonic and then a steam (I use a kettle and a hemostat to hold it) and then a blow dry or canned air. This gets it spotless, and I mean spotless.
Thanks for all of the information. I want to keep the diamond clean!

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
Not a bad thing to play around with an ultrasonic cleaner - especially if you have additional intricate jewelries as I've mentioned earlier.

Unless you're getting ready for a mega-zoom diamond photo op or having trouble removing built up coating, keeping things simple will make it the easiest and works for pretty much all people.

Really, who wants to ultrasonic (3 minutes at least), steam, and can blow dry every single day when as soon as you wear your ring it'll gather oil and dust unless you're OCD? :twirl:

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

To clarify, it’s an ultrasonic, a rinse and a steam.

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
oh btw, if you have a Sonicare toothbrush, try using an old soft brush head to clean the diamond - it works like a champ.
You can even dip the head into the small eye cup to give it a mini mega ultrasonic bath. ;))

mchap

Rough_Rock
oh btw, if you have a Sonicare toothbrush, try using an old soft brush head to clean the diamond - it works like a champ.
You can even dip the head into the small eye cup to give it a mini mega ultrasonic bath. ;))
Thanks so much for the advice on cleaning! I love the diamond! I keep looking for the fire though. Am I getting less fire because the table was 56.8? I forgot what the trade off was with he other diamond that had a 55.6 table.

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks so much for the advice on cleaning! I love the diamond! I keep looking for the fire though. Am I getting less fire because the table was 56.8? I forgot what the trade off was with he other diamond that had a 55.6 table.

Anyone who has visited Whiteflash in person will tell you that a bit of table size difference doesn't show performance difference. I doubt you'd notice any less fire compared to a stone with slightly less table size all else equal, and you have a beautifully balanced stone. If I remember correctly without looking up, the other stones had lower crown, and the crown height matters more than the table size when it comes to fire. You tend to see more fire in a dimmer light with overhead spotlighting when your pupils are dialated. It's all about lighting.

kal2021

Brilliant_Rock

Go to Home Depot or Costco or another store with a lot of overhead lighting - you will see the fire!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I must look like such a crazy person in wal Mart, Sam’s and the superdome lol. All I do is stare at the fire from my super ideals. :roll2:

On a sunny day, go under a canopy of trees. Catch the light coming through the leaves.

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, the very high ceiling and myriad far overhead lights from all directions at grocery and hardware stores tend to make your diamond look like a disco ball of rainbow. Dimmer smaller light or far away distant light sources tend to clip the light fan reflected by your diamond so that your eyes tend to perceive more color. Generally big and bright light sources kill fire.

kal2021

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, the very high ceiling and myriad far overhead lights from all directions at grocery and hardware stores tend to make your diamond look like a disco ball of rainbow. Dimmer smaller light or far away distant light sources tend to clip the light fan reflected by your diamond so that your eyes tend to perceive more color. Generally big and bright light sources kill fire.

Yes the grocery store, too!!

mchap

Rough_Rock
Anyone who has visited Whiteflash in person will tell you that a bit of table size difference doesn't show performance difference. I doubt you'd notice any less fire compared to a stone with slightly less table size all else equal, and you have a beautifully balanced stone. If I remember correctly without looking up, the other stones had lower crown, and the crown height matters more than the table size when it comes to fire. You tend to see more fire in a dimmer light with overhead spotlighting when your pupils are dialated. It's all about lighting.
Thanks! I love the diamond and it is bright and sparkles like crazy! My husband notices the fire! I will go into different lighting and check it out.

mchap

Rough_Rock
I must look like such a crazy person in wal Mart, Sam’s and the superdome lol. All I do is stare at the fire from my super ideals. :roll2:

On a sunny day, go under a canopy of trees. Catch the light coming through the leaves.
Thanks! I will try this today! Just want to find the right lighting.

mchap

Rough_Rock
I am not sure if I told you how we got to the decision to upgrade my current diamond (.50) to a 2 carat diamond. Last April we celebrated our 40th wedding anniversary. My husband wanted to buy me a ring but did not want to pick it out himself. So we started looking at Anniversary rings. I had a 5 stone diamond in mind for my right hand. I was not upgrading my current engagement ring at that time. As we went around to different jewelers we did not find anything. Then jewelers suggested a 3 stone so we went down that road. During the summer we researched diamonds and found that for the best performance we needed the parameters to be specific. So when we went back to the jewelers to ask for the center stone to be within the parameters and found that none of them could get this. I was never excited about the 3 stone for my right hand because I felt my current engagement ring would look funny. So by Thanksgiving, my oldest daughter suggested that I upgrade my current engagement ring first. That is what I wanted so we decided to go down that path. I was relieved and we went back to jewelers and again they could not meet our specifications. Then we found this forum! So my next purchase will be an anniversary ring or something for my right hand! But I will alway want this 2 carat to be center stage!

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
I am not sure if I told you how we got to the decision to upgrade my current diamond (.50) to a 2 carat diamond. Last April we celebrated our 40th wedding anniversary. My husband wanted to buy me a ring but did not want to pick it out himself. So we started looking at Anniversary rings. I had a 5 stone diamond in mind for my right hand. I was not upgrading my current engagement ring at that time. As we went around to different jewelers we did not find anything. Then jewelers suggested a 3 stone so we went down that road. During the summer we researched diamonds and found that for the best performance we needed the parameters to be specific. So when we went back to the jewelers to ask for the center stone to be within the parameters and found that none of them could get this. I was never excited about the 3 stone for my right hand because I felt my current engagement ring would look funny. So by Thanksgiving, my oldest daughter suggested that I upgrade my current engagement ring first. That is what I wanted so we decided to go down that path. I was relieved and we went back to jewelers and again they could not meet our specifications. Then we found this forum! So my next purchase will be an anniversary ring or something for my right hand! But I will alway want this 2 carat to be center stage!

OK. That'll be a fun project, but I highly suggest you looking into OEC (Old European Cut)!
If you want fire, OECs are fireballs. That way you can have a perfect MRB and an OEC to do their different things under different lighting environment.

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
I will go on the elevator at work today. I may be missing for awhile!

Probably depends on the lighting in the elevator. Some elevators have small tiny LED lit ceiling and some have a singular florescent light (not good). Look for small and many lights, smaller the better. Like Christmas tree lights (the BEST), filtered tree canopy lights, high/far ceiling lights, etc. See the pattern?

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks! I will try this today! Just want to find the right lighting.

Since you probably want to "enjoy" the fire show more often at home, dig out and hang a Christmas light strip and hang it in your house. That'll most definitely do it. ;))

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also, if you have a sofa by a window.... like face your back to the window and see the fire in your ring. I caught it like that once.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results