shape
carat
color
clarity

Trump Declared A National Emergency To Build His Wall

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The resources beinf squandered gir the sake of saving face = mind boggling. Hope this wakes more people up to how ridiculous our politicians have become.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
B58FF3D6-EF4D-4B0B-9B0B-CB71DE75BCE7.gif

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Challenge it on the grounds that congress is not authorized by the constitution to transfer its power to the executive branch.
*grin*

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd say next up will be Trump declaring an national emergency because democrats cross him at every turn and therefore should be imprisoned. He owns the courts, he owns the Supreme Court and the really funny thing is that he has lost votes that would have enabled him to be elected Deb.. independents have left him in the dust and without them, Trump just has the deplorables who would SCREAM bloody murder if Obama remotelly tried to take money from the Pentagon and spend it on a wall. It's actually really funny if it weren't for the fact that we have become a 1st world country ruled by a despot and the republican's in Congress are scared of him.. I think they should all read their French History. I'd say for me this is the worst thing he's done and it should be impeacable. But republicans are big on finding fake problems.. pathetic.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Democrats could declare national emergency to enact gun control:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/poli...41XfQdf3ldPdPJwyu85S1crhKofZqid0-uWYBsXsmVR7s

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., said President Trump’s plan to use a national emergency declaration to unilaterally provide federal funding for a border wall would set a precedent Republicans may come to regret.

Democrats, she said, could use it later to enact their own priorities, such as increasing gun control.

"Why don't you declare that a national emergency? I wish you would,” Pelosi during a press conference Thursday, noting it was the one-year anniversary of the high school shooting in Parkland, Fla., that killed 17 students and staff. “But a Democratic president can do that.”

Democrats may try to block Trump’s national emergency declaration in court. They may also pass a resolution stopping the move. Pelosi said Democrats are “reviewing our options,” depending on what, exactly, Trump says he is going to do.

Earlier Thursday, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., said Trump informed him he would sign a border security and spending measure that provides $1.375 billion of the $5.7 billion Trump is seeking for structural barriers along the southern border. McConnell said Trump would declare a national security to acquire more funding beyond what is in the legislation.

“Republicans should have some dismay about the door they are opening,” Pelosi said.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wonder what all those Republicans who say they support Trump because they are "constitionalists" are saying now. Trump has as much respect for the Constitution as a piece of toliet paper, putting it politely.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why are the left so surprised? :confused: I can see this coming months ago.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nothing Trump does surprises anyone. We have a front row seat watching this daily s$&t show. Once again, he didn’t have any facts or statistics to support his claims during the press conference today. Everything he does is to appease his base, deflect attention from Mueller's investigation, fear monger or incite hate.

We had a mass shooting in a Chicago suburb today. I’m all for declaring a national emergency to enact gun control.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nothing Trump does surprises anyone. We have a front row seat watching this daily s$&t show. Once again, he didn’t have any facts or statistics to support his claims during the press conference today. Everything he does is to appease his base, deflect attention from Mueller's investigation, fear monger or incite hate.

We had a mass shooting in a Chicago suburb today. I’m all for declaring a national emergency to enact gun control.
And one about climate change, and the opiod crisis, and lack of healthcare. The GOP is going to regret this. But then again, it's just a show for Trump's rabid base. All parties involved know it'll be immediately tied up in courts and go nowhere.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
He never should have had the power to do it in the first place.
Thanks Democrats for giving the president the power.:(sad
Image 1.jpg

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
He never should have had the power to do it in the first place.
Thanks Democrats for giving the president the power.:(sad
Image 1.jpg
Right, we never should have had the faith in our president that he would know the true meaning of a national emergency or that he would know the difference between right and wrong. We should have known that our president would promote a campaign promise by declaring a national emergency. All of this is so comparable to instating a national emergencies act.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Dancing Fire please, don't confuse disgust with surprise. no, no one is surprised.. just disgusted.

Right, we never should have had the faith in our president that he would know the true meaning of a national emergency or that he would know the difference between right and wrong. We should have known that our president would promote a campaign promise by declaring a national emergency. All of this is so comparable to instating a national emergencies act.

x1000 @Tekate and @House Cat

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s just so ridiculous on so many levels.
It is just the hugest waste of money because it won’t stop anyone or anything.
The places were there is already a huge fence, determined people are already “digging” under it.
I just wish Trump has declared “No child will be homeless”, “No person will be bankrupted by the cost of medical treatment”, “No sensitive ecological system will be further damaged” or “No ordinary citizen will own fully or semi automatic weapons” and then spend $5 Billion dollars on something really great and really important.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Build that wall, Build that wall!!!.
yetanotherdancyguy.gif

https://www.lawfareblog.com/how-congress-and-president-obama-made-trumps-wall-possible

Last edited:

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I wonder what all those Republicans who say they support Trump because they are "constitionalists" are saying now. Trump has as much respect for the Constitution as a piece of toliet paper, putting it politely.
Not that I'm a huge trump supporter, he runs about 40% in my book.
I think more walls in the right places make sense.
I'm not happy about doing it this way however. The political parties put politics above the American people by failing to act.
This is how I feel about it:
Challenge it on the grounds that congress is not authorized by the constitution to transfer its power to the executive branch.
*grin*
Not that it is likely to happen but I would love such a ruling.

Last edited:

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The political parties put politics above the American people by failing to act.
Yes they do. All for spite and partisanship.

evergreen

Brilliant_Rock
Actually... That graphic shows that the Republicans unanimously voted in favor of the National Emergencies Act. There were a few dissenting Democrats, and the House was strongly Democratic to begin with. Not that it matters which party backed it, 90% of the House was in favor. Back when people could agree on stuff. o_O Trump's move is an abuse of bipartisan politics and of this Act. Can't imagine that any of the 90% who voted in favor had foreseen that this would be used to circumvent Congress and push forward a bizarre, emotion-based, evidence-free agenda.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Democrats voting against something they voted for previously because it's now Trump is not emotion or partisan based at all. :rolleyes:

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Democrats voting against something they voted for previously because it's now Trump is not emotion or partisan based at all. :rolleyes:
What is shutting down the government for a campaign promise?

The democrats should have totally bent to the despot’s will after a move like that.

evergreen

Brilliant_Rock
@redwood66 I read the article posted upthread and I'm not at all sure it's partisan to think that invoking emergency powers for an invented "emergency" at the border -- ie, it's not a major source of people illegally in the US, most drugs come from other routes, etc -- is inappropriate. I'd at least expect a thoughtful analysis of the utility of something purportedly costing $5.7b (and probably much more) but I have only seen evidence that the wall will be ineffective for its stated aims. Perhaps Trump could garner bipartisan support if he approached the issue thoughtfully -- it seems like this has been an area with Democratic support in the past, as the posted article points out -- but in the form demanded by Trump, the wall will be an ineffective boondoggle. Would be happy to read sources with logical analysis and evidence stating otherwise, though.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is shutting down the government for a campaign promise?

The democrats should have totally bent to the despot’s will after a move like that.
My point is both groups are acting like spoiled two year olds while we have to watch and pay their effing salary.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@redwood66 I read the article posted upthread and I'm not at all sure it's partisan to think that invoking emergency powers for an invented "emergency" at the border -- ie, it's not a major source of people illegally in the US, most drugs come from other routes, etc -- is inappropriate. I'd at least expect a thoughtful analysis of the utility of something purportedly costing $5.7b (and probably much more) but I have only seen evidence that the wall will be ineffective for its stated aims. Perhaps Trump could garner bipartisan support if he approached the issue thoughtfully -- it seems like this has been an area with Democratic support in the past, as the posted article points out -- but in the form demanded by Trump, the wall will be an ineffective boondoggle. Would be happy to read sources with logical analysis and evidence stating otherwise, though.
The Dems also voted for more border security and fencing in previous administrations.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So is Trump responsible for his wall or is Obama and Congress to blame for the wall? You can’t have it both ways.

Or maybe you can in Trumpland...a world where logic never applies...where walls stop determined criminals from digging tunnels or using ladders...
At least they'll have to dig or climb over instead of just walking across the border. I wonder how many illegal migrants the Dems are willing to let into the US before they say enough is enough. 10 million? 20 million? :confused:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results