shape
carat
color
clarity

Need opinions on this 5ct round brilliant

DiamondsAndDior

Rough_Rock
Also I heard that strong blue fluorescence can make a lower colored stone appear whiter face up. Does anyone have first hand experience with this? That might help given the more concentrated color in a larger stone?

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
Yes $54K + tax! I feel like it is a great price too and significantly larger than anything else I see in this price range.

Might be a dumb question but... what if I order it, it’s not on par with expectations and I want to return it, but something happens during the 30 day window, like I accidentally damage it. Do people usually get insurance during this 30 day window time frame?

Most people don't. Just don't throw it around.

mandyXL

Rough_Rock
This thread has gotten really off track. @mandyXL OP has already said that he's not color sensitive. If you want to talk about your stone, please start a new thread. Not trying to be rude, but this has gone way astray from OP and the original question.

Guess this is the wrong forum for me.

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
Also I heard that strong blue fluorescence can make a lower colored stone appear whiter face up. Does anyone have first hand experience with this? That might help given the more concentrated color in a larger stone?
It can, especially under the presence of UV.
Watch this video. It's a good thing the stone doesn't have cloud to possibly cause transparency issue when combined with Fluro.

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

You would only see color improvements in direct sunlight, and any color improvements would be minor at best. With SBF, an I may look like an H in direct sunlight. But seeing as color is usually the most visible in indoor incandescent (home) lighting environments to begin with, where fluorescence won't help, I wouldn't count of the fluorescence to "improve" the color of a diamond. At best, it's a fun party trick. ;-)

There's so many aspects of diamond color other than the grade (color tone, saturation, presence/absence of fluorescence) that it's pretty much impossible to say that an individual will like a diamond just based on the color grade alone. When it comes to diamonds in the near colorless range and below, it really comes down to seeing it in person to know whether you like the color in any particular diamond. But again, for this price, I totally think it's worth ordering to see how you like it. :)

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

My stone only has "Negligible Fluoro" but I can tell that it shows a little blue in certain lighting conditions, making it look whiter. I only WISH it had medium to strong blue fluorescence!! To me, OP, that diamond is a damn unicorn!! If I had the funds, I'd snatch it in a heartbeat! I mean, 11+ mm??!! SHUT. THE. FRONT. DOOR.

Be still my heart.

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My stone only has "Negligible Fluoro" but I can tell that it shows a little blue in certain lighting conditions, making it look whiter. I only WISH it had medium to strong blue fluorescence!! To me, OP, that diamond is a damn unicorn!! If I had the funds, I'd snatch it in a heartbeat! I mean, 11+ mm??!! SHUT. THE. FRONT. DOOR.

Be still my heart.

ditto. My AGS 000 has medium blue fluor at least, despite the AGS cert stating fluor is negligible. I truly find that I have a bright white I colored diamond - I can't see any tint at all (unless walls or the ceiling are brown or something)!

DiamondsAndDior

Rough_Rock
I can’t figure out how to quote things that people have said. But I’m getting more and more excited about this stone. And @msop04 the 11mm size is really making my heart jump! It might actually look a little extra on my finger (I’m a size 3.75) but I still think the bigger the better :love:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
a
I can’t figure out how to quote things that people have said. But I’m getting more and more excited about this stone. And @msop04 the 11mm size is really making my heart jump! It might actually look a little extra on my finger (I’m a size 3.75) but I still think the bigger the better :love:

Good Lord, that's gonna be HUGE on your teeny tiny finger!!! Super excited for you, OP - I hope the diamond is everything you want and more!

ETA: here's my 9.8 mm (size 4.75 finger)
CVB Soli Hand 1.jpg DK Wire Band _plat_3.jpg DK Wire Band _plat_5.jpg

Attachments

• CVB Soli Stack_collage1.jpg
    CVB Soli Stack_collage1.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 19

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
sorry those came over super large...

dumbo

Shiny_Rock
Premium
First time poster here. Just started looking for a stone. Did an online search to get a better sense of what my budget can get me and came across this 5ct stone that I put on hold. They aren't able to give me an IS/ASET right now, but the proportions fall within PS recommended parameters. Even though it is an SI2, it looks pretty clean. It has strong blue fluorescence, but it doesn't look cloudy to me. What do you all think? Does the SI2 or strong fluoro concern you?

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...i-color-si2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-6548521

Also... I'm a little nervous about making such a large purchase online... have read a couple recent posts about online vendors who end up not having the stone and then taking forever to process a return. I definitely do not want to deal with that. I haven't read anything negative about JA, but please let me know if you think I need to be cautious.

Geez...the comments here!

With regards to color, there is NO end-all be-all. My wife has a 4ct, ideal cut with great light return K stone, SI2. Guess what? She loves it, and not a day goes by where she doesn't get at least one compliment on it. It is eye clean, super bright, and gorgeous. Nobody she has ever met has commented "oh, that is only a K, what a lame stone". 99% of people have no idea what color diamonds are what. Internet boards have a way of getting people worked up about the silliest things; pretty soon everyone is jumping off a bridge when they find out their diamond is H color and SI1 instead of the G-VS2 grading they thought they had.

If you like the color and want to go larger, go for it! Likewise with clarity: her SI2 got her a bigger diamond, and the inclusions aren't visible to the naked eye. I don't care what anyone says: they aren't visible without a loupe. Now, if that bothers somebody, so be it. It doesn't bother her. What would bother her is to pay extra for a VS1 stone that appears visually indistinguishable.

Most people would DIE to own the jewelry discussed here.

One ring here is her K e-ring, and one is a different one that we tried out but ultimately returned. Guess which color the other is? I bet most people can't tell. IMG_9506.jpg IMG_9759 2.JPG

dumbo

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I guess I'll be the odd one here by saying I think it looks great for an SI2 of that size. If you decrease the stone down to even over twice the actual size, it looks clean to my eyes. I like the 34/40.6 combo, which is what I have... in a 3.33 I/SI2. ;-)

Same here! As posted above, my wife's 4ct is an SI2. It is totally eye clean; she would be upset if I had paid for fewer inclusions, the lack therof she couldn't appreciate, but gotten her a smaller stone, the size of which she certainly would notice! Everyone has a budget, and everyone needs to weigh how important each factor is when weighing their "best value" stone. Everyone wants 5 carats, E color, VVS2, cut to super ideal specs, for $5,000, but it isn't gonna happen.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@DiamondsAndDior I'm happy to admit I was probably wrong on this one. I didn't see the price, and @msop04 and others are right that the size for the price is amazing, and with a return policy why not? I'm excited for you!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@DiamondsAndDior I'm happy to admit I was probably wrong on this one. I didn't see the price, and @msop04 and others are right that the size for the price is amazing, and with a return policy why not? I'm excited for you!

I cannot WAIT to see this stone!!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, The RB is an H color none and the Octavia is an I color VSB. Here's a pic under the sun.

IMG_2895.JPG

The one on the left is none and the one on the right is a G med blue.
IMG_2737.jpg

Same two stone under a UV light.
IMG_2727.jpg

DiamondsAndDior

Rough_Rock
@msop04 WOW your stone is AMAZING!!! I love your setting! I also want a simple but beautifully made delicate solitaire setting. May I ask where it is from?

@dumbo I can’t believe that one of those is a K color! They both look very bright and white to me.

@Dancing Fire I didn’t know fluorescence could look so cool :love: From your photos, I think I prefer the fluorescence!

DiamondsAndDior

Rough_Rock
I think if you click on the link using your phone versus computer, you will see the price.

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
I think if you click on the link using your phone versus computer, you will see the price.
ah - that makes sense. I did wonder if it's the browser difference.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@msop04 WOW your stone is AMAZING!!! I love your setting! I also want a simple but beautifully made delicate solitaire setting. May I ask where it is from?

@dumbo I can’t believe that one of those is a K color! They both look very bright and white to me.

@Dancing Fire I didn’t know fluorescence could look so cool :love: From your photos, I think I prefer the fluorescence!

Thank you, and you may absolutely ask! LOL It's a CVB modified (with petite tab prongs) "Jovyn"... and, to me, it is the perfect solitaire - Tiffany & Co-esque, but elevated. :love:

DiamondsAndDior

Rough_Rock
@msop04 thank you! Your setting is perfection and totally my style. Need to check out CVB!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope that you have put the stone on hold, if not do so and contact them either see it in person or if not ask the vendor if it is eye clean under close inspection. If so that's a great deal, if you are looking for max size on a budget. Fluorescence can sometimes make stones face up whiter, it can in a small amount of cases negatively impact them making them slightly hazy, it really depends on the stone, again ask lots of questions and see the stone in person, it doesn't matter what anyone here thinks, all that matters is if you like it and if it is clean enough for you.

coda72

Brilliant_Rock
Not that you probably need even one more opinion, but I think the stone is definitely worth looking at in person. $54k for a 5 carat stone seems like a great price. The numbers look good, and I love fluorescence too. If it were me, I would order this one to look at it in person. If you need an experienced pair of eyes to see it when you receive it, you can always take it to an appraiser to get his/her opinion.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would totally try it!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results