Votes: 0 0.0%
  • something else

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Niwrad

Rough_Rock
Premium
Hello all,

For my fiancee's birthday, I planned to get her a tanzanite pear gem. I found a vender who sold a reasonable (at least in my opinion) gem for approximately $200 for a 1.39 ct Gem.

It was originally set in a ring, however I know my financee will be rough with her jewlery and Tanzanite is soft, so I asked for it to be re-set into a pendent, which the vendor did for no cost.

After receiving the box in the mail, I inspected the gem and found it had been chipped on one side where a prong sits.

IMG_8951.JPG IMG_8952.JPG
I have attached a couple photos I took with my phone and a loope at 60x.

I am at a loss as what to do, as I normally received gems without any damage. I still feel like it's hard to notice the chip from the naked eye. Should I demand a full refund and return? I also liked this vendor because they provided an IGI certificate of authenticity, which I find as a requirement for this my tanzanite purchase.

The vendor's shop has a lot of gems, but I specifically would like a pear shaped tanzanite, of which the vendor only has 4, all of which are nearly double in size and in price.

Attachments

• IMG_8953.JPG
    IMG_8953.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 25

paperunicorn

Shiny_Rock
Was the gem disclosed as being chipped? If not, then you should absolutely at least get some of your money back. That looks like a substantial chip from your picture, but if you feel it's acceptable and don't want to return it, then perhaps you can negotiate with the vendor for a discount based on the damage. Otherwise I would certainly ask for a refund and return the item - UNLESS it was disclosed as being chipped in the listing.

Niwrad

Rough_Rock
Premium
Was the gem disclosed as being chipped? If not, then you should absolutely at least get some of your money back. That looks like a substantial chip from your picture, but if you feel it's acceptable and don't want to return it, then perhaps you can negotiate with the vendor for a discount based on the damage. Otherwise I would certainly ask for a refund and return the item - UNLESS it was disclosed as being chipped in the listing.

No, there had been no disclosure of being chipped. Just to be sure though, i did take a closer look at their posted pictures, and yes, knowing a chip exists, I can sort of make it out in a picutre.
But again, it had not been explicitly disclosed

Niwrad

Rough_Rock
Premium
After briefly browsing some online auctions for tanzanite of similar size and color, I think this gem is acceptable for the price I paid, but I feel that the chip should have been disclosed nonetheless

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’d return it personally.
I can almost guarantee that the chip occurred either while they were taking it out of the ring setting or while setting it into the pendant. Tanzanite is a particularly brittle gem.
The other issue is with the chip under the prong like it is, how stable is the gem in the setting?
If it only has two prongs holding the bottom of the pear shape, with one over the chip I’d say losing the gem out of the setting a distinct possibility.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the chip is too large to be acceptable. If it was a tiny fleabite on the girdle I would say leave it be given that the vendor re-set it at no cost and it would not be noticeable when viewing. I would return it.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Return it. If the chip was not disclosed I would not buy from this vendor again.

Niwrad

Rough_Rock
Premium
Thank you for your help! I'll return. Vender replied and stated he will take the pendent back

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results