shape
carat
color
clarity

Transporting a Wurlitzer upright ourselves?

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I know nothing about pianos. Our neighbor has very generously offered us a piano from her late mother. Is this something we can do ourselves, or do we need to hire someone? I’m assuming it will need to be tuned once it is placed in our home? It measures 56 inches across.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know nothing about pianos. Our neighbor has very generously offered us a piano from her late mother. Is this something we can do ourselves, or do we need to hire someone? I’m assuming it will need to be tuned once it is placed in our home? It measures 56 inches across.

What I would do...hire a professional piano mover. Better safe than sorry and these pianos are works of art and deserve to be transported as precious cargo IMO. And yes it should be tuned once it is at its new home. Good luck!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hire a professional. I had my piano (it’s seriously antique) moved from my parents house to our house when we moved in here. They moved it with very efficient equipment, ramps, rollers, trolley’s etc, then a month later when the wood & boards had settled into their new environment, they came back to tune it.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is heavy as heck and yes, you'll save your body, mind, and more by hiring a professional to move it.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hire a professional. The only way I would even think about doing it myself is if both houses had NO stairs and mostly flat (no slope) driveways. Plus perfectly smooth pavement from one into the other. You don't want to go bumping and tipping the thing! A good mover will come back to tune it so you may as well have it moved since you will need a tuner anyway.

Also make sure to have a place ready for it. Inside wall (not against the walls to the outside) is a must.

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I called around for a quote— $150/hour (and for some reason that rate is what I have to pay for their travel time to the piano and home from our house, as well)! She thinks 2 hours, but wouldn’t guarantee it, of course.

The piano man charges $110 to tune it, which sounds reasonable to me.

Still thinking—this is a big chunk of money to spend for a free piano! :think:

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I called around for a quote— $150/hour (and for some reason that rate is what I have to pay for their travel time to the piano and home from our house, as well)! She thinks 2 hours, but wouldn’t guarantee it, of course.

The piano man charges $110 to tune it, which sounds reasonable to me.

Still thinking—this is a big chunk of money to spend for a free piano! :think:

I would check some other places too. Shouldn't take more than an hour. You should be looking at their minimum charge. Did you call piano movers or just movers? You might also check with the tuner and see who they recommend.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pianos are very heavy, like VERY heavy. The guys who move pianos professionally have the experience and appropriate equipment to lift and move a piano.
We’ve moved 2 different pianos over the years (a 6ft grand and an upright) 6 times.
The wheels on a piano are for moving it within a room, not for wheeling it out of a house down the driveway to the truck and then repeating the wheeling process at your house. Professional movers use straps to lift the piano up onto a dolly (platform with wheels) and then under control, wheel it. If the pianos “gets away from you” on an incline, it’s gone. You simply can’t hold it, you risk serious injury trying to stop it.
They also have an electric tailgate to lift the piano up into the truck.
Piano removalists charge a few hundred dollars. That is a lot cheaper than strained back, broken foot or damaged piano.
And yes, it will need a tune after moving.
Personally, because pianos can need more than “just a tune” ie re felting or padding, broken hammers, new strings, pedal repair - I’d get a piano tuner to check the piano first. A free piano that needs $1,000 work isn’t a free piano.

hmr_mama

Brilliant_Rock
We literally just did this same thing. We were given a free piano and moved it ourselves...and by “ourselves” I mean we roped my husband’s friend and our very strong 12 year old into helping us move it. Even with 4 of us it was difficult getting it up two stairs. The piano is a Yamaha console, so fairly small in the piano world. We also have an enclosed trailer with a ramp that we used to move it. There is no hoisting a piano into a pick-up. And we had to rent a dolly. It was a huge pain. But we’re grateful that our son has something to practice on while he decides if piano is the right instrument for him.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pianos are very heavy, like VERY heavy. The guys who move pianos professionally have the experience and appropriate equipment to lift and move a piano.
We’ve moved 2 different pianos over the years (a 6ft grand and an upright) 6 times.
The wheels on a piano are for moving it within a room, not for wheeling it out of a house down the driveway to the truck and then repeating the wheeling process at your house. Professional movers use straps to lift the piano up onto a dolly (platform with wheels) and then under control, wheel it. If the pianos “gets away from you” on an incline, it’s gone. You simply can’t hold it, you risk serious injury trying to stop it.
They also have an electric tailgate to lift the piano up into the truck.
Piano removalists charge a few hundred dollars. That is a lot cheaper than strained back, broken foot or damaged piano.
And yes, it will need a tune after moving.
Personally, because pianos can need more than “just a tune” ie re felting or padding, broken hammers, new strings, pedal repair - I’d get a piano tuner to check the piano first. A free piano that needs $1,000 work isn’t a free piano.

Good advice!

Incline can mean a very shallow slant in a driveway too. It may be "almost flat" and still make moving it difficult and potentially dangerous. Been there, been pinned to a wall by a piano... I don't suggest it!

Reactions: AV_

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good advice!

Incline can mean a very shallow slant in a driveway too. It may be "almost flat" and still make moving it difficult and potentially dangerous. Been there, been pinned to a wall by a piano... I don't suggest it!
Yes, a friend of mine - big bloke 6 ft 5 and really strong, thought he could stop a car that was rolling towards a brick wall (handbrake not on and car not in gear) and he ended up crushed between the wall and car with two broken legs.

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
All of this is exactly why we bought a Yamaha electric piano! Very light, doesn’t mind being moved, never needs retuned and sounds fab!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
BTW, I am sad we don't have room for a piano in this house. They are wonderful and I would love to have one again.

Answer these to yourself as you decide what to do:

Are there ANY steps up/down? (If yes, spring for the movers!)
Do you have at least four people to help? (You are looking at probably 400-600 pounds to move...)
Is this really old/delicate? (If so, pushing may break wheels or do other damage.)
Is this a nice piano or a "practice" piano? (If it is nice and you want it to stay that way, go for movers! If it is an inexpensive heavy duty thing to play while you decide if you like having a piano, that may be different.)
How far are you moving it? One house? Three? What is between them? Bumps, dips, edges, etc all can be difficult to manage. Pianos do not steer well!

Also, will it fit through all doors and hallways easily?

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Professional. Don't endanger yourself or your home to save a few bucks.

Yes, alas I know from firsthand experience that inexperienced plain-old movers CAN put creases in your oak floors from moving a spinet across the room using a dolly with the wrong type of wheels. :rolleyes:

Go pro. Watching a pro with the experience and the right equipment, is a thing of beauty, almost like watching magic.

Reactions: AV_

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree. Professional piano movers are worth it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results