shape
carat
color
clarity

Complete sets

cxr133

Shiny_Rock
Whats the best way to buy a complete set. That complement each other? Engagement ring and wedding band ? Pick diamond, setting and wedding ring out separately? Or do they sell settings d wedding ring as set and just pick out the stone?

For anniversary present

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
People do it both ways. Sometimes find a setting they like and then buy a stone to slap in it.

Then later they see if the designer has a matching band. If not, they may choose to find a wedding band they consider complimentary. Other times the designer will have a matching band that goes perfectly with it.

Key thing to remember is that depending how the set is made, sometimes you need a curved band if you want a "perfect" fit. It can be advantageous using the designer.

Vatche-1513-Felicity-Solitaire-Wedding-Set-in-White-Gold_gi_1533-52093_1-48365.jpg

Here is a screen cap using WF's site where they sell the set together, and then both the band & e-ring setting separately. Not necessarily suggesting this style, but rather using as an example.

https://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/wedding-sets/vatche-1513-felicity-wedding-set-3740.htm

Capture.PNG

Or if you're name is sledge and insist on doing things the difficult way, you go back to the guy who custom designed your fiancee's (anything but normal) setting and ask him to make a matching band and design that element as well, since nothing is available on the open market that would actually fit/match it properly.

DKJPV_0629_WR-1.jpg

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whats the best way to buy a complete set. That complement each other? Engagement ring and wedding band ? Pick diamond, setting and wedding ring out separately? Or do they sell settings d wedding ring as set and just pick out the stone?

For anniversary present
Do you have any idea what look she likes? Does she want a matching set?? Or does she want a set that compliments, but doesn’t match?

cxr133

Shiny_Rock
Or if you're name is sledge and insist on doing things the difficult way, you go back to the guy who custom designed your fiancee's (anything but normal) setting and ask him to make a matching band and design that element as well, since nothing is available on the open market that would actually fit/match it properly.

DKJPV_0629_WR-1.jpg

Stunning

Do you have any idea what look she likes? Does she want a matching set?? Or does she want a set that compliments, but doesn’t match?

My wife is a trooper. she started with just a gold wedding band, Now she has an small stone engagement ring for the last > 10 years. and she always complains that she never got a weddiing ring. so I would like to do something nice and get a complete set that matches nice with prob. a 1.5ct princess cut diamond.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thank you. :cool2:

My wife is a trooper. she started with just a gold wedding band, Now she has an small stone engagement ring for the last > 10 years. and she always complains that she never got a weddiing ring. so I would like to do something nice and get a complete set that matches nice with prob. a 1.5ct princess cut diamond.

Remember this?

https://www.goodoldgold.com/diamonds/id/3604860

That's the princess cut that @rockysalamander recommended for your son. Sounds like he is going with the cushion from IDJ, so this would be available.

If this doesn't work, let us know budget, color, clarity, etc desired and we can find something.

cxr133

Shiny_Rock
Thank you. :cool2:

Remember this?

https://www.goodoldgold.com/diamonds/id/3604860

That's the princess cut that @rockysalamander recommended for your son. Sounds like he is going with the cushion from IDJ, so this would be available.

If this doesn't work, let us know budget, color, clarity, etc desired and we can find something.

Thanks, yes I think my son has the IDJ on hold. he is having financing issues :) but hes getting closer to working that out. I try to lecture him on planning and not compulsive buys :(

Thanks I need that price to be about 2K lower and prob only need a 1.5ct.
my all in budget would be 10K but looking at a wedding set gonna be about 2K of that.
I think im driving myself crazy and looking at the same princess over and over again because I been to all the major online retailers.

Whats up with all the virtual diamonds only showing up?
Thanks

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stunning

Oh that’s so sweet! Since your son is purchasing for his gf, now may be an easy time to get your wife’s thoughts on set preferences.

LaylaR

Shiny_Rock
Trade
There are several ways to do this and do it well. It depends on your budget, vendor and the design. Of course you can get a set matched for you by the manufacturer/designer of your rings. But that normally limits you to one or two band options.

Another way is to buy your engagement ring and then go shopping in person for bands you like and see what looks best on your hand. Our clients usually prefer to choose their bands after they have worn their engagement rings for a while. B

When we do custom projects for our clients we keep their CADs in their files with all the specifications of their setting purchase. We also keep all the specifications of our client’s settings for non-custom work where it is possible to do so.

Then, when the client returns to us for their wedding band, they can pick any style they want, and with the specifications of their engagement rings on file, we can make sure it will be a good fit. With our custom projects can even send a revised CAD showing our clients how the new band will work with their setting.

That way they can do whatever style, design, color they want for their wedding band, and be assured that it looks good with their engagement ring.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
It really comes down to how fancy the ER is, the fancier the ER the more likely you need to go to the original vendor for a matching ring.
Or deal with someone who with your E-ring in hand can design a matching band.
If your ER has flat sides and a lot of room for a band to silde up under the main stone if needed then you have a ton more options for styles and suppliers.
So my answer is there is not just one answer.
One of the first questions imho should be asked when working on an ering design is what kind of band are they thinking of wearing with it?
To ask the question after the e-ring is on the finger is a little late and it can really limit the options.
That is just my personal opinion others may disagree or work differently.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Curious whether she wants a princess cut?

cxr133

Shiny_Rock
Curious whether she wants a princess cut?
it seems like a lot of people here don't recommend Princess cuts. Whats the disadvantage?

she picked out her current ring 10 years ago its a princess? were they popular and know have fell out of popularity?

kal2021

Brilliant_Rock
it seems like a lot of people here don't recommend Princess cuts. Whats the disadvantage?

she picked out her current ring 10 years ago its a princess? were they popular and know have fell out of popularity?

I do think Princess cuts were more popular back then. I would definitely find out what shape she would want now. Tastes change. :)

tkyasx78

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Princess cuts are by and large a dated cut and have fallen out of favor, mainly due to the fact they face up smaller for their expected weight than a super ideal round or most other cuts.
I would recommend having the person who will wear the item take a look around at what is available now and work together with you on what they want to wear on a daily basis! There are a lot of new options and styles and the amazing precision cutting of some of these new stones are just stunning!

cxr133

Shiny_Rock
AHA thanks guys stopped me from making another bad decision :)

will check

Sabrina31

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Oops I missed this whole thread. OP if it helps, my original er was princess cut and now I'm more drawn to emerald cuts, I just dont like round stones on my hands. But she may like something totally different or may still love princess cuts.

kal2021

Brilliant_Rock
She also might like a cushion cut which can still have that square look, just softer.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Or she might like a round in a cushion setting - I thought I liked princesses until I got to try one on. I didn’t like rounds but it turns out I love a round in a squared off setting. Definitely get her to try lots of different shapes on and look at her style and what she wears now too.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results