shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with oval

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks fine...without a video moving it top to bottom its hard to tell if it has "mush" or facets that light up nicely. I think seeing it in person will
be the only way to know. What is the LxW of your current stone? Make sure you are getting enough of a LxW increase to make it worth the upgrade.
Some ovals face up small for their size and some face up large for their size.

mrsj8610

Shiny_Rock
It looks fine...without a video moving it top to bottom its hard to tell if it has "mush" or facets that light up nicely. I think seeing it in person will
be the only way to know. What is the LxW of your current stone? Make sure you are getting enough of a LxW increase to make it worth the upgrade.
Some ovals face up small for their size and some face up large for their size.

My current is 7.54 x 5.01 so I think it's a decent increase in size. With my setting not sure I can go much larger. Do you think it has a minimal bowtie?

elizat

Ideal_Rock
That video is really fast. I don't see a large bowtie though- it looks very slight, but again, the video is difficult. I think getting it in person is a good idea.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You've probably already seen this but here is the size difference between what you are looking at and your current stone.
Capture.PNG

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you check out the GIA report they show other stones-that first one .90 G V2 looks good for only a few bucks moe. But I can not see the feather in your stone even though it is a SI2

mrsj8610

Shiny_Rock
If you check out the GIA report they show other stones-that first one .90 G V2 looks good for only a few bucks moe. But I can not see the feather in your stone even though it is a SI2

Do you feel this one looks good? I don't see the feather either, it's an SI1.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the feather is between the 4pm and 5pm position?

The inclusion looks quite white to my eyes , which is good, and if that is the only inclusion in the stone, that is an awesome SI1 - one white inclusion tucked away under the upper girdle facets, near the edge of the stone, should mean it is eye-clean from even a very close distance!

In terms of bow-tie, as mentioned above it is difficult to assess without rocking the stone back and forth on its long axis, but it looks pretty good in that video.

Will you have the opportunity to order it and view it at home before you commit to purchasing it / having it set?

If so, it would be good to have it side-by-side with your current stone so you can assess the spread difference and also ascertain if it's eye-clean :)

If not, the video seems to suggest it's a good one so my (entirely personal) feeling is that you would be safe to order / set it.

To confirm, do the Returns policies of the vendor let you return the stone if you are not happy with it? (And have your original stone back if you have to send it to them before getting this new one??)

Matilda

Shiny_Rock
Can you only upgrade with Adiamor?

mrsj8610

Shiny_Rock
I think the feather is between the 4pm and 5pm position?

The inclusion looks quite white to my eyes , which is good, and if that is the only inclusion in the stone, that is an awesome SI1 - one white inclusion tucked away under the upper girdle facets, near the edge of the stone, should mean it is eye-clean from even a very close distance!

In terms of bow-tie, as mentioned above it is difficult to assess without rocking the stone back and forth on its long axis, but it looks pretty good in that video.

Will you have the opportunity to order it and view it at home before you commit to purchasing it / having it set?

If so, it would be good to have it side-by-side with your current stone so you can assess the spread difference and also ascertain if it's eye-clean :)

If not, the video seems to suggest it's a good one so my (entirely personal) feeling is that you would be safe to order / set it.

To confirm, do the Returns policies of the vendor let you return the stone if you are not happy with it? (And have your original stone back if you have to send it to them before getting this new one??)

Thank you for your thoughts! I cant see the feather at all which is awesome! I ordered the stone and will see it prior to sending in my current so I can see them side by side. They have a 30 day return policy so if I'm not happy I can send it back.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for your thoughts! I cant see the feather at all which is awesome! I ordered the stone and will see it prior to sending in my current so I can see them side by side. They have a 30 day return policy so if I'm not happy I can send it back.
Excellent stuff - that sounds like the ideal situation, so hopefully it is as good as it looks!

Please do post pictures//videos if you are able/happy to do so :))

Matilda

Shiny_Rock
Sounds like you have a plan! Definitely post photos of you want!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It will be a lonnnnnnng few days waiting for its arrival ;-) :lol:

mrsj8610

Shiny_Rock
It will be a lonnnnnnng few days waiting for its arrival ;-) :lol:

Oh yes it will!!! Do you think going from D color to G color will be a huge difference?

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh yes it will!!! Do you think going from D color to G color will be a huge difference?
I think it entirely depends on personal eyesight, shape and cut of the diamond, and as Karl would say, lighting, lighting, lighting... :lol:

G should only have a hint of a tint, though, I reckon!

mrsj8610

Shiny_Rock
Anyone have thoughts? I felt I wasn't that color sensitive and the drop to G wouldn't bother me but I can see the color difference from my D. In fact the diamonds in my setting are G/H color and you can see a difference. I am thinking this one might go back and I should stick to D-F.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Anyone have thoughts? I felt I wasn't that color sensitive and the drop to G wouldn't bother me but I can see the color difference from my D. In fact the diamonds in my setting are G/H color and you can see a difference. I am thinking this one might go back and I should stick to D-F.
Great pics! :)

If you are colour sensitive, you are colour sensitive - nothing wrong with that! (other than it ends up being more expensive :( lol :lol: )

FWIW (and taking into account camera settings and computer screen settings can change an image's colour temperature and, hence, 'whiteness' of white) I think the top photo does show quite a bit of tint. The colours are a range within each letter, so it might be this is a 'low G' rather than a 'high G'.

We must also remember that larger stones have longer internal light paths than smaller stones, which means they end up showing more colour for a given tint level (if I understand it correctly), so it might well be that you have to go up in colour as you go up in size :) (Annoying! lol)

Ultimately, you have to love it - and if you don't, don't worry, as there will be a stone out there for you somewhere :))

mrsj8610

Shiny_Rock
@OoohShiny color aside how do you feel about the faceting and bowtie on this one?

mrsj8610

Shiny_Rock
This is probably a better representation on the color, I think the sun was setting in the 1st pic. 20190129_154840.jpg

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@OoohShiny color aside how do you feel about the faceting and bowtie on this one?
It has what I understand to be the classic Oval faceting pattern - i.e. strong/clear central facets across the middle of the stone, but smaller, perhaps 'crushed ice' faceting at the ends - so it is comparable in that sense to most of the other ovals on the market (rather than being specifically cut for maximum light performance, which the August Vintage Opulence Ovals are).

To my eyes, it doesn't seem to have the dark bow-tie that plagues many (most? lol) traditionally cut Ovals, which is good news :) but you are best placed to confirm if that is the case because you can check it out with your own eyes!

That's just my non-expert thoughts, though! If you haven't already, you should look at it in as many different lighting environments as possible, in order that you can determine if it performs to your satisfaction everywhere :)

I can't remember - have you had an ASETscope image to check leakage / facet symmetry? I'm not sure it's super-important as your eyes will tell you if it performs well enough for you, but it would be useful to confirm if it has any major areas of leakage that might be an issue.

Mind you, as it is in-hand, you should be able to tell if you can see your fingers through it! lol. You could make it easier to detect any leakage by placing a red piece of cloth or card behind it perhaps, although material touching the stone may not be representative of how it performs in a ring, as I understand it.

mrsj8610

Shiny_Rock
@OoohShiny compared to my current oval, this one has more bowtie and you can see a color difference when compared to the side stones on my engagement ring. I've decided to return it.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@OoohShiny compared to my current oval, this one has more bowtie and you can see a color difference when compared to the side stones on my engagement ring. I've decided to return it.
Cool, you have to be happy with it and not have any doubts, so you are wise to return it if that is not the case :)

We'll find something else, don't worry!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results