shape
carat
color
clarity

Facet abrasions on antique ruby...is there a way to fix this?

fioratura

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I bought beautiful antique ring at auction on ebay and sadly there are some facet abrasions around the table of the center stone. They aren't terrible or super noticeable when the ring is on, but I know they're there and it bothers me. The seller won't take a return even though she described the item as "in excellent condition" and did not disclose any scratches. I got a good price so it's not a huge loss, but I'd love to know if there's anything that a jeweler can do to polish the facets. I know rubies are a pretty hard stone and i don't know if that makes polishing more complicated. Tell me your thoughts, colored stone experts. I tried to take photos where the abrasions are visible.
50480657_234927834097378_2281390987303452672_n.jpg 50878319_2035437069866964_108798977670905856_n.jpg 51020122_2238127036446817_2663235157833547776_n.jpg 50401042_503869590020932_105317932447301632_n.jpg

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The ring is stunning but .......Hmmm.
A gem cutter, not a jeweller, can certainly “fix up” a chipped and abraided gemstone but there’s two problems.
1. Is getting the ruby out of the bezel setting. It’s more than likely going to wreck the bezel - I’m not sure how a jeweller goes about fixing, repairing, replacing a bezel but it’s probably fiddly and expensive.
2. Fixing a chipped / abraided gem will make it smaller. It’s not just a matter of a polish, you change 1 facet and all the others need a likewise correction. So the ruby will be smaller after restoration and that mightn’t work with the setting. And is the cost of restoration worth it ?
And are you sure the ruby is natural? Man made ones were very popular in the Art Deco period so it wouldn’t be surprising.
You might be better to consider buying a replacement ruby (natural or synthetic) if you can’t bear the current one because after restoration it probably won’t fit properly anyway.
It’s going to be easily a few hundred dollars plus the cost of a new gem if the restored one doesn’t fit.
Me, I’d re message the seller and say you are very disappointed as the description of “excellent condition” isn’t accurate, the centre Stone has many chips and scratches so you’d like to return please as it’s “not as described”. That might make the seller reconsider because your next step after that is to raise a “not as described” claim with eBay in that the condition of the ring was misleading, the seller said “excellent condition” but it’s all damaged. You say you would like to return the ring for a refund.
Then eBay decides, usually in the buyers favor. If not, no harm in you trying.
This is why sellers should be very accurate in their listings and always accept a return if a buyer is unhappy and specifically asks to return.
Hope this helps

fioratura

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Thanks so much! That’s a super helpful answer. When I wrote this post I had already written to the vendor who told me to take it up with eBay because she was not willing to give a refund. I forwarded the photos to eBay and we’ll see what they say. I would be happy with a refund, but if not, I think your replacement stone idea is a great idea.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks so much! That’s a super helpful answer. When I wrote this post I had already written to the vendor who told me to take it up with eBay because she was not willing to give a refund. I forwarded the photos to eBay and we’ll see what they say. I would be happy with a refund, but if not, I think your replacement stone idea is a great idea.
The seller is foolish, with eBay the last thing a seller needs / wants is “disputes” because they affect your seller rating and too many “pings” and you can lose seller privileges.
eBay is 99% certain to find in your favour meaning the seller will also be required to pay the return shipping, not you.
Silly seller.
Make sure you return it “tracked shipping” - eBay requirement - proof you returned it!

lmyracle

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Good luck in getting a refund. I won't even entertain an ebay purchase unless the seller has 100%, so maybe having a negative "ping" will help the seller treat you fairly.

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You could be able to get the abrasions polished out while it's still set. If you can't get a refund, it might be worth asking a local jeweler. Good luck.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My return was approved! Thanks so much for your help everyone!
Excellent news. Return with all original packaging etc and send back “tracked mail” ie with a tracking number. If the ring was over $750 it should be returned “signed for, tracked shipping”. Make sure you upload the tracking number to eBay for their records and take a photo of parcel (only send to address eBay gives you) before posting.
Normally you’ll get a refund to your account in a few days /week. I know, grrrr, it takes 1 nanosecond when you pay, but a week to get a refund.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results