Racists at March for Life Rally Harass Native Americans

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Barf.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I saw this here in the UK this morning. Made my blood beyond boil. I expect the parents of these kids will just give them a little pat on the back once the school have ‘dealt’ with them. After all, this age group mostly learn morals & beliefs from what they hear at home. Trump has given these hateful people a voice. Before you know it he’ll be reintroducing black slave trading :angryfire:

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A truly shameful display.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
From what I heard, the students were initially harrassing and chanting at black lives matter protestors. This gentleman approached them and started singing to divert attention. So this is not even the whole story. Conservatives say they are pro tradition and respect for elders. Yet these MAGA hat wearing kids DISRESPECT their elders. Conservatives say, they are pro-life, but use legislation to defund and/or prevent women from exercising the basic right over control of their own bodies, in order to plan their family, to give whatever children ARE born, their best chances. For whatever children ARE born (remember, they say they are pro-life) they use legislation to defund prenatal and postnatal care, as well as funding for public education and supplemental food. These students, marching for "pro life", are chanting "build a wall" and are pro criminalizing and arresting people who leave out water and food in the desert. The reason this video enrages me, it lays bare all the hypocrisy. They are not pro-life. They are not for respect or for tradition. These unenlightened, entitled kids are being raised in a poisonous atmosphere that these white boys have the right to control women's bodies. That THEIR rights and THEIR lives are more important of other groups, and other colors, and it OK to be disrespectful to an elderly man, because he looks different than them, or has different beliefs.

Last edited:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I heard only a bit of this story on "Morning Joy" (a talk show hosted by Joy Reid) today, but because of that I saw a film clip of it. The Native American man who successfully engaged the youths to prevent violence spoke about the incident. He was wonderful. When asked if he thought they should be suspended he said no, but he said he thought their chaperones should be fired. He is a Vietnam War veteran.

AGBF

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some excerpts from an article about the incident are below.

"A video clip of a white teenager harassing a Native American elder instantly became one of the most viscerally enraging images of an era that has offered no shortage of them.

In the clip, captured during the Indigenous Peoples March in Washington on Friday, an elderly Native American man beats a drum and quietly sings, and a small group of activists and allies can be seen in the crowd behind him. Perhaps 18 inches in front of him, a white teenager in a 'Make America Great Again' hat makes eye contact and smirks. A much larger crowd of teenagers—mostly male, mostly white, many wearing MAGA hats—hoots with delight at the wordless confrontation. The encounter was captured from multiple angles and circulated widely on YouTube and social media, generating widespread disgust.

Indian Country Today reported Saturday that the elder is Nathan Phillips, a Vietnam War veteran who holds an annual ceremony honoring Native veterans at Arlington National Cemetery. The boy has yet to be identified, but he was visiting Washington with a group from Covington Catholic High School, an all-boys college preparatory school in northern Kentucky. The group was in Washington to attend the March for Life, an annual anti-abortion rally that attracts tens of thousands of demonstrators, including many groups of young people from churches and private schools. The event’s stated ideal is 'a world where the beauty and dignity of every human life are valued and protected.' (The Diocese of Covington and Covington Catholic High School issued a statement on Saturday apologizing to Phillips and Native Americans in general, and said it is investigating punishments that may include expulsion.)

The encounter between the teenager and the older man didn’t end in violence. They apparently didn’t even exchange words. Why, then, did this unexploded grenade of a moment read as so fundamentally disturbing—and spread so quickly? There’s the ahistorical idiocy of wearing a Make America Great Again hat while harassing a veteran, of course. There’s the physical contrast between the young white punk and the Native elder, and between the teen’s cruelty and Phillips’ calm. And there’s the crowd of hooting MAGA teens ringing the central conflict, bouncing along to the drumbeat with a mix of giddiness and scorn. (In a video posted to Instagram, a teary Phillips said he heard them chanting 'build that wall.') Cameras are everywhere in the crowd. The boys know they’re being recorded—some of them are even seen capturing the moment themselves—but either their homosocial glee is too orgiastic to be dampened by the instinct for self-protection, or they don’t think anyone who matters to them will care. (And yes: Where are the adults?)

The context is key to the clash’s virality, too. It took place just days after President Trump made light of the 1890 massacre at Wounded Knee to mock Sen. Elizabeth Warren, whom he often refers to by the racist nickname 'Pocahontas.' More broadly, it takes place in an era in which chanting the president’s name has become a tool of racial intimidation.

But I think the real reason the clip has spread is simpler: It’s the kid’s face. The face of self-satisfaction and certitude, of edginess expressed as cruelty. The face remains almost completely still as his peers hoot in awed delight at his bravado. The face is both punchable and untouchable. Many observers recognized it right away.

The face is in this photo of a clutch of white young men crowding around a single black man at a lunch counter sit-in in Virginia in the 1960s, and in many other images of jeering white men from that era. The face is the rows of Wisconsin high school boys flashing Nazi salutes in a prom picture last year. The face is Brett Kavanaugh—then a student at an all-boys Catholic prep school—'drunkenly laughing' as he allegedly held down Christine Blasey Ford. Anyone who knew the popular white boys in high school recognized it: the confident gaze, the eyes twinkling with menace, the smirk. The face of a boy who is not as smart as he thinks he is, but is exactly as powerful. The face that sneers, 'What? I’m just standing here,' if you flinch or cry or lash out. The face knows that no matter how you react, it wins."

https://slate.com/news-and-politics...native-american-veteran-harassment-smile.html

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
These kids names and their parents names will be all over the internet by tomorrow. This is a display of disrespect, intolerance and hate....and they proudly wear MAGA hats while acting this way.

It will be interesting to see how the school handles these students who were there on a school trip. It was very disturbing that there were chaperones present who did nothing to stop this behavior.

These kids and their parents are going to be in for quite the awakening when their realize there are consequences for their actions. Good luck getting your kid into a great college. Your kids just showed the world who they are.

Wow @AGBF the last 2 paragraph of the story you posted gave me chills.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
From what I heard, the students were initially harrassing and chanting at black lives matter protestors. This gentleman approached them and started singing to divert attention. So this is not even the whole story. Conservatives say they are pro tradition and respect for elders. Yet these MAGA hat wearing kids DISRESPECT their elders. Conservatives say, they are pro-life, but use legislation to defund and/or prevent women from exercising the basic right over control of their own bodies, in order to plan their family, to give whatever children ARE born, their best chances. For whatever children ARE born (remember, they say they are pro-life) they use legislation to defund prenatal and postnatal care, as well as funding for public education and supplemental food. These students, marching for "pro life", are chanting "build a wall" and are pro criminalizing and arresting people who leave out water and food in the desert. The reason this video enrages me, it lays bare all the hypocrisy. They are not pro-life. They are not for respect or for tradition. These unenlightened, entitled kids are being raised in a poisonous atmosphere that these white boys have the right to control women's bodies. That THEIR rights and THEIR lives are more important of other groups, and other colors, and it OK to be disrespectful to an elderly man, because he looks different than them, or has different beliefs.

Nearly all, not all , but NEARLY all of unwanted pregnancies, are caused by irresponsible boys & men who irresponsibly choose in their moment of passion, to NOT use a condom & impregnate their partner. With all the will in the world, a woman cannot get pregnant without the input of male sperm. A woman would NEVER choose to get pregnant if she didn’t want to have a child. As someone who had to have a surgical termination at 13 weeks despite that not actually being a choice for me (uterus is damaged & cannot grow another child past 20 weeks, together with being in the 1% who the Pill failed on) no woman would ever go through that procedure lightly. The hormones, the emotions - everything is out of control. So how come women get the blame & shame of an unwanted pregnancy?? And why do some people believe that she should be FORCED to birth a child that is the direct result of an irresponsible male?? Because the men have flexed their masculine muscles & kept the women under control & exactly where they want them to be.

It. All. About. Male. Control.
Sexist b@stards.

Sorry for jumping a bit off topic!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This photo will haunt this kid the rest of his life.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wanted to smack that smirk off that jerk's face :angryfire:

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It makes me wonder what the schools and churches are teaching and preaching these days. If they are trying to teach dignity, respect and tolerance, why isn’t it sinking in?
Why don’t people understand that we are all conceived and born the same way, we all have the same basic plumbing system and there is no room for anyone to feel superior to anyone else????

Last edited:

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I sincerely hope the parents of these students do some soul searching about what they think they are teaching and instilling in their children, and what they are actually teaching (intolerance). That they listen to what other people's reactions to this are, and not make excuses for inexcusable behavior.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This photo will haunt this kid the rest of his life.

Maybe not. His mother (if the woman defending him is actually his mother) has his back. Brett Kavanaugh had the support of the enough people to make it onto The Supreme Court with an uglier smirk than that boy has. I only wish Brett Kavanaugh was being "haunted" by the smirking photos of him at his Supreme Court confirmation hearings. It is he whom I would like to smack. (Don't worry, Secret Service. I know the difference between voicing what I would LIKE to do in an ideal world where I can smack a cad with impunity and what I can do in a civilized world where I, a civilized person, must abide by the laws and customs of our society. I read Civilization and Its Discontents.)

AGBF

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m trying to figure out why an all boy’s school is sending students on a trip to Washington DC, to protest against woman’s reproductive rights?

It’s a Catholic school.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As a recovered Catholic I can easily understand how this happened :) But I must say, back in my day I don't thin there would be a guy I knew who would do what this entitled white kid did. :(

Overall it's a symptom of white is right, right is might thing. He just reflects his community, his school and his parents. Very very symptomatic of what the heck is wrong with America.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Calliecake aw it's just a part of the entitled, white, male impregnator of America group. This group is catholic but I'm sure there is a rainbow of denominations out there that do not support women or their right to choose.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
But I must say, back in my day I don't thin there would be a guy I knew who would do what this entitled white kid did.

I disagree. If your day was my day, and I believe it was, that kid would be one of the ones standing around-if only standing around-smirking while a black man tried to sit down at what had previously been a "whites only" lunch counter. (See column above)

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Could be Deb, but in my Catholic high school most of the guys I knew were really HATING management, the man, and school and it was in the throes of the Civil Rights era, but these were the guys I hung out, now there were jocks and jerks that I had no contact with and they could have but I can say TODAY some of the hip guys I hung out with are Trumpsters today.

I disagree. If your day was my day, and I believe it was, that kid would be one of the ones standing around-if only standing around-smirking while a black man tried to sit down at what had previously been a "whites only" lunch counter. (See column above)

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's about white male control. Below Trump is meeting with "key business leaders".
His day-glo orange really stands out among all that pasty whiteness :knockout:

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The New York Times published a follow-up about the events leading up to moment captured between the Native American elder and the high school students. After seeing additional footage and reading witness interviews, I no longer believe that the students were trying to harass the Native American elder and instead simply didn’t know how to respond to his prayer song. Some were immature but I take back my characterization of them as racists.

What we do know:
  • There was a shouting match between the students and a group of black activists. Both sides accuse the other of starting the confrontation.
  • Chaperones claimed that the students were shouting school slogans and denied that any shouted, “Build the wall.” The Native American group said they did hear, “Build the wall.”
  • The Native American group saw what was going on and approached the students with a prayer circle to defuse the situation.
  • Some students made sounds like they were mocking the Native Americans.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/20/us/nathan-phillips-covington.html

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results