shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond loupe

Double E

Brilliant_Rock
Interested in buying a 30X loupe for self inspection of stones, but it's plenty out there. Is there any particular websites or suppliers I should buy from, as choices are many and some are said to be not up to the stated magnification? Also is the LED illumination necessary if it is to check the inclusion?

Thanks for any advice=)

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Belomo has a good reputation, but unsure if they make one up to 30x magnification. I know the Gemmological Association of Australia rates them highly.

As you have mentioned, a good quality 30x loupe is hard to find.

You may be better off with a Bausch & Lomb Hastings Triplet 20x, Krüss 20x Triplet or Belomo Quadruplet 20x instead.

Last edited:

EvaEvans

Shiny_Rock
Premium
High quality 10x loupe will work better than cheap low quality 30x (really?) loupe.
As I know, to achieve such magnification (30x), professionals use microscope, not loupe.

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
I bought a Bausch & Lomb 14x. It's pretty tiny but I find it easier to focus than my 20x or 30x, and it shows more detail, obviously, than my 10x.

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
I picked up a little fancii 30x loupe with led and uv black light from Amazon.ca ... couldn’t find the same one on Amazon.com ... but it works great for about $20 USD.
I also bought a wifi/USB microscope - also relatively cheap imo.
Fun toys!

Double E

Brilliant_Rock
Belomo has a good reputation, but unsure if they make one up to 30x magnification. I know the Gemmological Association of Australia rates them highly.

As you have mentioned, a good quality 30x loupe is hard to find.

You may be better off with a Bausch & Lomb Hastings Triplet 20x, Krüss 20x Triplet or Belomo Quadruplet 20x instead.

Thanks for giving me these info., I took a look on Belomo's website and did find loupes of 12X and higher. However, the diameters of their field of view are often only .7mm to .9mm, would like to understand is this normal for higher magnification loupes? I thought it'd be more comfortable with wider diameters, but ofcox I am not an expert~

Double E

Brilliant_Rock
High quality 10x loupe will work better than cheap low quality 30x (really?) loupe.
As I know, to achieve such magnification (30x), professionals use microscope, not loupe.
Thanks for bringing my attention to the possible quality differences~I agree quality counts, just thought it may be easier or more efficient for me with high magnification. But this is only based on my limited experience on using 10x and 20x loupes provided by the jeweler when buying the Ering=)

Double E

Brilliant_Rock
I bought a Bausch & Lomb 14x. It's pretty tiny but I find it easier to focus than my 20x or 30x, and it shows more detail, obviously, than my 10x.
Thanks! I shall have a look also, and thanks for mentioning the focusing issue~

Double E

Brilliant_Rock
I picked up a little fancii 30x loupe with led and uv black light from Amazon.ca ... couldn’t find the same one on Amazon.com ... but it works great for about $20 USD.
I also bought a wifi/USB microscope - also relatively cheap imo.
Fun toys!
Sounds a great deal~ The loupe combined with wifi-USB is interesting & convenient!

Double E

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for giving me these info., I took a look on Belomo's website and did find loupes of 12X and higher. However, the diameters of their field of view are often only .7mm to .9mm, would like to understand is this normal for higher magnification loupes? I thought it'd be more comfortable with wider diameters, but ofcox I am not an expert~
Revised a bit of the physics of loupes, I was probably misreading some of the optic principles. Anyway, I am now also looking at options from Kassoy, and found in some old threads here they were recommended. Is anyone able to provide some opinions on them?

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the suggestion!
Seriously, that's more than what you'd need. I have so many magnifying loupes, but that's the one I grab most often, especially to carry around nowadays because of the built in light along with the UV for florescence. Even if you get a better quality loupe, it's worth having another cheap spare.

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The higher the magnification, the smaller the field of vision. When using my 20x loupe, the subject of my louping ends up being ridiculously close to the lens.

As a result, I tend to use my GemOro Eclipse 10x triplet loupe more often than my 20x triplet. 20x is effectively only for inscriptions or if I really want to look at an inclusion.

badaren

Rough_Rock
I bought a $7 loupe 30x/60x on amazon and did the trick for checking the GIA inscription!

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Revised a bit of the physics of loupes, I was probably misreading some of the optic principles. Anyway, I am now also looking at options from Kassoy, and found in some old threads here they were recommended. Is anyone able to provide some opinions on them?

Kassoy just looks like a jewellery industry supply shop. Their own brand stuff looks like the no-name stuff at where I go to here in Australia (Australian Jewellery Supplies).

I do see a 20x Bausch & Lomb one there with a Coddington lens but from what I have read up on them, Coddington lenses aren’t as good as using a triplet (and they have a 20x triplet but it’s only 8.3mm lens width).

Krüss loupes at Kassoy are very very expensive.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results