shape
carat
color
clarity

1st time buyer: what to check for when ring arrives??

badaren

Rough_Rock
very excited that my ring is arriving on monday but i just wanted to prep myself on what to look for incase the stone does not "check-out" i will still be in the window to make a return. this is my first diamond i have ever bought, and i was wondering if you more experienced individuals had a checklist on things you do when you first receive a ring that a normal person can do at home? ideally, i would prefer to examine a loose stone, but decided to get it mounted to decrease the hassle and stress. i purchased a 30x/60x loupe and made my own ASET scope. i will also check arrows with my DIY viewer. so far I have on my list:

1. verify documents
2. weight? it's mounted so not sure i'll be able to do this
3. dimensions? was unable to pick up a caliper so this seems like a no-go
4. look for laser inscription on girdle (GIA report says it has inscription) but it is mounted in a 6 prong setting so not sure if i'll be able to see it. i did ask for the inscription to be visible though.
5. try to verify inclusion map with stone (it's a VS1 so again not sure if i'll be able to verify this on my own with my experience/tools)
6. check prongs for good adaptation
7. check ASET
8. check arrows view
9. check metal inscriptions inside ring
10. check visuals/obstructions in different light settings (again, due to my experience not sure how accurate this will be)

seems like with my particular stone/setting and experience I may need to bring it to a jeweler? what are your guys thoughts?

Last edited:

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You should be able to read the inscription on the girdle with the 30x loupe, which should be all the assurance you need in terms of weight/dimensions/inclusions.

In terms of performance, did you buy a branded stone? If so, you will have no worries about performance or quality :) although if it's an SI1, you should check you are happy with it being 'eye clean'.

If you didn't buy a branded stone, I assume you bought a stone within the PS-recommended parameters? If that is the case, I think you just need to look at it in a wide range of lighting environments and see if you are pleased with it / if you like its 'character', as ultimately it has to be pleasing to the eye, no matter what the numbers say!

Matilda

Shiny_Rock
Maybe get an appraisal for insurance as well as just enjoying its beauty!

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The things to check
1. The ring
2. The GIA report is enclosed. The details on the GIA report match what you bought.
3. The invoice / receipt stating correct GIA number, price.
Check ring, it fits? It’s hallmarked? Look with Loupe at finish (prong work should be symmetrical and neat and straight.)
4. Check GIA report on diamond girdle matches report. If yes, you don’t need to check dimensions.
5. Do you love it? Was it a lower Clarity but stated “eye clean” if yes, is it to your eyes? Eye clean is at normal viewing distance 12 - 18 inches, not under the Loupe!
6. Get insurance if so inclined, you can use the receipt paperwork as your documentation. Just make sure it fully specifies your diamond. Otherwise get an appraisal that states that information. What you get in the event of loss is determined by what was insured. If you have a branded diamond “cut above, heart and arrows” or “Tiffany” etc that needs to be specified.
7. Love it some more, repeat step 7 a dozen times a day :love:

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You should be able to read the inscription on the girdle with the 30x loupe, which should be all the assurance you need in terms of weight/dimensions/inclusions.

I hope the OP has a real 30x loupe because there are plenty out there advertised as 30x or higher magnifications that are actually nothing more than cheap 10x loupes (sometimes doublers or triplets). At 30x, your field of vision is going to be very narrow so you will need a good light source and be up very close to the stone to view the inscription.

badaren

Rough_Rock

In terms of performance, did you buy a branded stone? If so, you will have no worries about performance or quality :) although if it's an SI1, you should check you are happy with it being 'eye clean'.

If you didn't buy a branded stone, I assume you bought a stone within the PS-recommended parameters? If that is the case, I think you just need to look at it in a wide range of lighting environments and see if you are pleased with it / if you like its 'character', as ultimately it has to be pleasing to the eye, no matter what the numbers say!

Thanks! I bought a non-branded stone within parameters.

56 table
35/40.6
75% lfg
61.7 depth?
H&A looked good but wasn't able to get the ASET which is why im a little hesitant =/

badaren

Rough_Rock
Maybe get an appraisal for insurance as well as just enjoying its beauty!

Ya I was thinking to do that but need to find someone who will write appraisal based on how much I paid. Not trying to pay more for premium!

badaren

Rough_Rock
The things to check
1. The ring
2. The GIA report is enclosed. The details on the GIA report match what you bought.
3. The invoice / receipt stating correct GIA number, price.
Check ring, it fits? It’s hallmarked? Look with Loupe at finish (prong work should be symmetrical and neat and straight.)
4. Check GIA report on diamond girdle matches report. If yes, you don’t need to check dimensions.
5. Do you love it? Was it a lower Clarity but stated “eye clean” if yes, is it to your eyes? Eye clean is at normal viewing distance 12 - 18 inches, not under the Loupe!
6. Get insurance if so inclined, you can use the receipt paperwork as your documentation. Just make sure it fully specifies your diamond. Otherwise get an appraisal that states that information. What you get in the event of loss is determined by what was insured. If you have a branded diamond “cut above, heart and arrows” or “Tiffany” etc that needs to be specified.
7. Love it some more, repeat step 7 a dozen times a day :love:

Great, thanks so much for the advice! I am just hoping they don't cover up the inscription cause that will let my mind rest if it matches up.

badaren

Rough_Rock
I hope the OP has a real 30x loupe because there are plenty out there advertised as 30x or higher magnifications that are actually nothing more than cheap 10x loupes (sometimes doublers or triplets). At 30x, your field of vision is going to be very narrow so you will need a good light source and be up very close to the stone to view the inscription.

Seems like a true 30/60x the FOV is really small and hard to get the correct working length at times due to lighting. It's a cheap one from amazon though.

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
Seems like a true 30/60x the FOV is really small and hard to get the correct working length at times due to lighting. It's a cheap one from amazon though.

It’s a bit tricky but you should be able to see the inscription. I was surprised at how tiny it is ... so for you too, it may be smaller than you expect.

badaren

Rough_Rock
It’s a bit tricky but you should be able to see the inscription. I was surprised at how tiny it is ... so for you too, it may be smaller than you expect.

Yes, wow! I almost thought that it wasn't inscribed. All the pictures of the inscription on the microscope make it look larger than I thought, but then I looked closer and saw it in comparison to the girdle slopes.

Update: I picked up the ring and for the most part it looks great! I used my home IS/ASET and looks pretty good except for minor light leakage in one area. I already knew it wasn't going to be super ideal because its GIA cert non-branded..but close enough for me!

My only concern is that there is some black stuff (might be a thin metal burr from setting?) under a couple of the prongs. One side extends a little past the prong, though. I can a tiny speck next to the prong when looking from about 6" away (no magnification) but this is probably because I already know where to look. This is my first ring, so I am not sure what to expect. I am aware this is not a "custom" setting but should I have them fix it or am I being too picky? And if I send it back, I don't want them to damage it even more. Trying to outweigh the risk/benefits. Will it affect any performance? Thanks!

IMG_4675.JPG IMG_8833.JPG

Golden_bird

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Yes, wow! I almost thought that it wasn't inscribed. All the pictures of the inscription on the microscope make it look larger than I thought, but then I looked closer and saw it in comparison to the girdle slopes.

Update: I picked up the ring and for the most part it looks great! I used my home IS/ASET and looks pretty good except for minor light leakage in one area. I already knew it wasn't going to be super ideal because its GIA cert non-branded..but close enough for me!

My only concern is that there is some black stuff (might be a thin metal burr from setting?) under a couple of the prongs. One side extends a little past the prong, though. I can a tiny speck next to the prong when looking from about 6" away (no magnification) but this is probably because I already know where to look. This is my first ring, so I am not sure what to expect. I am aware this is not a "custom" setting but should I have them fix it or am I being too picky? And if I send it back, I don't want them to damage it even more. Trying to outweigh the risk/benefits. Will it affect any performance? Thanks!

IMG_4675.JPG IMG_8833.JPG
It looks like a dirt !! Try to scrub it with toothbrush! Or if you have ultrasonic toothbrush, it’s even better ! By the way , I love the setting ! Good sturdy prongs and low set !! Where did you order ?

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
It looks like a dirt !! Try to scrub it with toothbrush! Or if you have ultrasonic toothbrush, it’s even better ! By the way , I love the setting ! Good sturdy prongs and low set !! Where did you order ?

I agree - it looks like dirt but ... what the heck? Is that dirt UNDER the prong? I would suggest cleaning it as Golden_bird suggested ... an ultrasonic cleaner would be even better ... and if it remains, I would send it back if it was me. I would not worry about “further” damage - looks like no damage just dirt. If they have to reset it to get it clean, they should be perfectly capable.

I’ll tell you what you should expect, lol (vendors will hate me now) ... you should expect as close to perfection as possible. Jewelry is a microscopic thing and you should be totally picky. It’s your money. If you end up with a reset, i suggest still being picky - no “well that’s not quite right but my fault for the reset” business.

To the positive, I also love the setting. I’m sorry you have the dirt issue, but otherwise the ring looks perfect! I hope a good cleaning fixes it right up.

ps I also had a moment when I thought the inscription was not there lol

:wavey:

badaren

Rough_Rock

Thanks so much! I think you were right! It must have been some gunk or lube while they were drilling. I scrubbed it and the black thing sticking out is gone, but there is still a black line next to/under that area. I think they may have set the stone without cleaning everything off before?? or maybe i'm just seeing a shadow of the inside of the prong not entirely sure.. but I can probably live with it (my new fiance could care less, lol). One thing I noticed when scrubbing it though is that one prong trapped aa couple bristles from the toothbrush...so guessing it's not adapted 100%

I got the setting from FourMine! It's the Luminous 6-Prong Setting (Luminous Six Prong Solitaire Diamond Ring). The prongs look different in person and look more like balls than slender tabs, which worked out because she likes it better anyway!

badaren

Rough_Rock
I agree - it looks like dirt but ... what the heck? Is that dirt UNDER the prong? I would suggest cleaning it as Golden_bird suggested ... an ultrasonic cleaner would be even better ... and if it remains, I would send it back if it was me. I would not worry about “further” damage - looks like no damage just dirt. If they have to reset it to get it clean, they should be perfectly capable.

I’ll tell you what you should expect, lol (vendors will hate me now) ... you should expect as close to perfection as possible. Jewelry is a microscopic thing and you should be totally picky. It’s your money. If you end up with a reset, i suggest still being picky - no “well that’s not quite right but my fault for the reset” business.

To the positive, I also love the setting. I’m sorry you have the dirt issue, but otherwise the ring looks perfect! I hope a good cleaning fixes it right up.

ps I also had a moment when I thought the inscription was not there lol

:wavey:

Ya..I know, right?? I have a feeling they didn't clean off the drill lube or something.. My new fiance has an ultrasonic cleaner at her office so we'll try that too. I do have a question though, will repeated unmounting and mounting cause strain on the prongs?

Yes! That inscription is so dang small! I realized that good lighting was key. Now that I know where it is and how small it actually is its easy to locate!

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
Ya..I know, right?? I have a feeling they didn't clean off the drill lube or something.. My new fiance has an ultrasonic cleaner at her office so we'll try that too. I do have a question though, will repeated unmounting and mounting cause strain on the prongs?

Yes! That inscription is so dang small! I realized that good lighting was key. Now that I know where it is and how small it actually is its easy to locate!

I’m no jeweler but would suspect that repeated mounting and un-mounting with the same prongs could cause them to weaken ... I share your concern there ... but I would also trust the jeweler to make sure they aren’t compromised ...resets are fairly common. Definitely worth asking your jeweler about before you do it.

I don’t think a substance along the prongline would affect performance unless it has a color that reflects into the diamond - do you notice anything?

Not sure what to say about the prong where the bristles got stuck - sounds like it is not flush.

It’s really up to you how picky to be ... you already know that I think you have a right to be picky.

Are you already engaged? Did you give her this ring already? If so, congratulations!!!!

badaren

Rough_Rock
I’m no jeweler but would suspect that repeated mounting and un-mounting with the same prongs could cause them to weaken ... I share your concern there ... but I would also trust the jeweler to make sure they aren’t compromised ...resets are fairly common. Definitely worth asking your jeweler about before you do it.

I don’t think a substance along the prongline would affect performance unless it has a color that reflects into the diamond - do you notice anything?

Not sure what to say about the prong where the bristles got stuck - sounds like it is not flush.

It’s really up to you how picky to be ... you already know that I think you have a right to be picky.

Are you already engaged? Did you give her this ring already? If so, congratulations!!!!

Sounds good, thanks! I'm not too sure, line does look black, but to my untrained eyes I don't think anything is obstructed? I think it would act the same as a prong arm because it is still opaque, but I may be wrong.

Not officially engaged yet! I should have probably said fiancee to be! I just had her try it on for size and she loves it!

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
Sounds good, thanks! I'm not too sure, line does look black, but to my untrained eyes I don't think anything is obstructed? I think it would act the same as a prong arm because it is still opaque, but I may be wrong.

Not officially engaged yet! I should have probably said fiancee to be! I just had her try it on for size and she loves it!

Well, logically, I can’t see how it would cause any more light obstruction than the prong. And the black line you see is probably the prong reflection. ... except I would then expect to see the same under all the prongs as you rotate them into the position where you see the black line. If it’s opaque, it can be left over burr lube (I think I read somewhere about putting goop under the prongs when setting to protect the diamond, but I have done a few searches and couldn’t find anything).

My bet is that they didn’t clean up something or another but would not worry about performance.

omg I am smiling ear to ear over your fiancée to be ... getting to see the ring lol ... she must be over the moon!!!! :appl:

badaren

Rough_Rock
Well, logically, I can’t see how it would cause any more light obstruction than the prong. And the black line you see is probably the prong reflection. ... except I would then expect to see the same under all the prongs as you rotate them into the position where you see the black line. If it’s opaque, it can be left over burr lube (I think I read somewhere about putting goop under the prongs when setting to protect the diamond, but I have done a few searches and couldn’t find anything).

My bet is that they didn’t clean up something or another but would not worry about performance.

omg I am smiling ear to ear over your fiancée to be ... getting to see the ring lol ... she must be over the moon!!!! :appl:

hmm yes I think you are right...i can't tell if theres something truly there or if its the reflection. either way if it doesnt affect the perfomance and she doesn't care then i'm fine! i used to be very OCD but now i have learned to leave things the way they are cause changing something that may not be causing a big problem now may turn into one.

haha yes! i picked it out by myself (kinda old school like that) cause i wanted to surprise her and was so worried she wouldn't like it. she told me that was her dream diamond/setting. i'm so relieved now!

SamOhJung

Rough_Rock
I had the black stuff under the prongs as well. I talked to an experienced certified gemologist, and he said that it is some of the leftover polish jewelers use to polish the prongs and it was just not completely cleaned off when they set it. Not a big problem, should come off eventually...

badaren

Rough_Rock
I had the black stuff under the prongs as well. I talked to an experienced certified gemologist, and he said that it is some of the leftover polish jewelers use to polish the prongs and it was just not completely cleaned off when they set it. Not a big problem, should come off eventually...

great sounds good, thanks @SamOhJung

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results